Obsidian Shards acquisition — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Obsidian Shards acquisition

Hey Guys, I was wondering... would it be possible to make Obsidian Shards buyable with Raid Currencies? Since those are end game content it would be kind of fitting hm?
make it 1:1 or 1:5 or something.
Consider it please.

Comments

  • Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    Until ANet fulfills your request, check the Ley-Energy Matter Converter and the vendor NPC on the marketplace in your Guild Hall every day (you can buy up to three of the shard-bags per day depending on the upgrade progress of the guild).

  • @Lanhelin.3480 said:
    Until ANet fulfills your request, check the Ley-Energy Matter Converter and the vendor NPC on the marketplace in your Guild Hall every day (you can buy up to three of the shard-bags per day depending on the upgrade progress of the guild).

    thanks

  • Nokomis.5076Nokomis.5076 Member ✭✭✭

    I trade my unbound magic for that, as I don't need it anyway for something else I would want to have. So I have 1500+ obsidian shards

    Was I able to help you or give you a hint? Click on Helpful and/or Thumbs up, I would appreciate it alot!
    When you encounter a bug ingame, at first you should file a ticket via the ingame command /bug, as only this way the devs will know exactly where you were, when the bug happened.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lanhelin.3480 said:
    Until ANet fulfills your request, check the Ley-Energy Matter Converter and the vendor NPC on the marketplace in your Guild Hall every day (you can buy up to three of the shard-bags per day depending on the upgrade progress of the guild).

    This is a great way to get them, as some days you can get 2-3 small or medium bags at the same time.

    WvW also hands them out pretty liberally if you play that game mode. I recently hit my storage cap on them and have been crafting Fulgurite to make room. Now I'm close to my cap of Fulgurite =/

  • DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

    There are already a bunch of currencies you can exchange for Obsidian, but another would always be welcome. I use the unbound gathering tools for everything and so trade in unbound magic for mine.

    X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Ah, will add couple of ol good ways that still work in game
    1. Karma merchants from Orr temples
    2. Silvewastes, chance of drop from bandit chests and crest merchant

    I dream of elves in GW2.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    you do know you can buy obsidian shards for karma at the temple of balthazar in orr?

  • IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If you have a guild with the Windswept Haven Guild Hall, be sure to tap the mining synthesizer. It's rare I don't get at least one a day, and at times more.

    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

  • @Nokomis.5076 said:
    I trade my unbound magic for that, as I don't need it anyway for something else I would want to have. So I have 1500+ obsidian shards

    I do that as well but already traded it all.

  • @LucianDK.8615 said:
    you do know you can buy obsidian shards for karma at the temple of balthazar in orr?

    Yes, that's where they were originally acquired in the game.
    I chewed through all my currencies and karma though last week making my Dreamer.

  • I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Unless you don’t care for the items from the LS heart vendors, I wouldn’t purchase obby shards with karma. I farmed up about 50 a day by spending 20 min going through the easy LS3 dailies.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

    I wish you all who had hoards of them could give them/sell them to players who dont wvw or pvp. I always need shards, and karma so being able to buy these would be so nice to have.

    Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

    I wish you all who had hoards of them could give them/sell them to players who dont wvw or pvp. I always need shards, and karma so being able to buy these would be so nice to have.

    Well there are ways to get them without needing Karma. Farming Silverwastes is a great method because not only do you get them from bandit chests, you can also trade in bandit crests for obsidian shards with the vendor, all the while making a nice bit of gold and salvaged materials since SW is still a very viable farm.

  • @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Well there are ways to get them without needing Karma. Farming Silverwastes is a great method because not only do you get them from bandit chests, you can also trade in bandit crests for obsidian shards with the vendor, all the while making a nice bit of gold and salvaged materials since SW is still a very viable farm.

    Indeed. There are a ton of sources already listed on the wiki:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Obsidian_Shard

    I suspect that ANet would prefer to retain incentives for raiders to leave the aerodrome sometimes to obtain some of the items they need for optional items.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

    I wish you all who had hoards of them could give them/sell them to players who dont wvw or pvp. I always need shards, and karma so being able to buy these would be so nice to have.

    Do the easy LS3 and LS4 dailies. You’ll get both with minimal time spent. I got about 50 obby shards and 20K karma every day with about 20 min of work doing those dailies.

    You can also bank the LS4 reward chests and open them up when the next episode is released to instantly complete the new mastery if there is one and assuming you collected enough.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

    I wish you all who had hoards of them could give them/sell them to players who dont wvw or pvp. I always need shards, and karma so being able to buy these would be so nice to have.

    Well there are ways to get them without needing Karma. Farming Silverwastes is a great method because not only do you get them from bandit chests, you can also trade in bandit crests for obsidian shards with the vendor, all the while making a nice bit of gold and salvaged materials since SW is still a very viable farm.

    That tends to fill up my bank with dragonite ore, bloodstone dust and empyreal fragments instead.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Khisanth.2948 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    I wish there were alternate uses for those shards. I'm at the point where I delete a stack every now and then. I wish I could sell them for a copper a piece at least.

    I wish you all who had hoards of them could give them/sell them to players who dont wvw or pvp. I always need shards, and karma so being able to buy these would be so nice to have.

    Well there are ways to get them without needing Karma. Farming Silverwastes is a great method because not only do you get them from bandit chests, you can also trade in bandit crests for obsidian shards with the vendor, all the while making a nice bit of gold and salvaged materials since SW is still a very viable farm.

    That tends to fill up my bank with dragonite ore, bloodstone dust and empyreal fragments instead.

    That's ok though, since the LS3 gobblers can convert those to random crafting material.

  • @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    If you have a guild with the Windswept Haven Guild Hall, be sure to tap the mining synthesizer. It's rare I don't get at least one a day, and at times more.

    That applies to all the guild halls. And I normally hit one to two per day. As if I needed them.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The other GH gives tenebrous crystals and shimmering crystals instead of obsidian shards.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.