The Beetle Daily is very demotivating

Hey all,

I wanted to share my thoughts about the new Beetle Races, and especially the Daily that's connected to them.

As much fun as they are and as nice as it is to get some easy medals to build up your own Guild Hall race track for example, there is, at least in my opinion, a HUGE disadvantage to them as well:

The Waiting time the daily requires.

It just takes way too long when you consider that you only can buy about 2 or 3 pieces per day, especially when you have to wait for the group events to finally start.At least in my case, since I love the races and I want to build an awesome race track (or even some awesome race tracks, let's make it a plural) in our Guild Hall I did the daily races every day since their release last week, but I already feel exhausted to do them, I feel that it completely burns away my motivation to play GW2 onward after I got them done, since often it takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour until they are finally done, and that just because the waiting times in between them, which feels like lost and wasted time.

So I thought, why does this daily have to be linked to the group event at all? Why not make it linked to the mere time trial adventure which you can start any time you want. It's like that in HoT Map Daily adventures, so why not here too?

This also would help these that want to do the group racing events for the mere purpose of competition, since even on a high end PC it lags like hell when there's many people doing the event, making a well timed and precise drift near impossible. It just would lessen out the number of all these, that only want to do the daily to earn their medals and buy their rewards.

So they still would have to do some work for it, as it should be, but what exactly is achieved by just sitting on a map and waiting while doing literally nothing 3 times in a row just to get a few medals exept a mere and in my opinion useless test of patience?

The dailies are around for 21 more days - I cannot see them making a change now. The race tracks will be forever obtainable via the time trial chests anyway so you will get the pieces. Personally I think it is fine as it is. You get plenty of tokens for bronze+silver+gold and then you have the option of extra as an incentive for the race. Seems perfectly balanced and the wait isn;t usually more than 10-15mins anyway

@Randulf.7614 said:The dailies are around for 21 more days - I cannot see them making a change now. The race tracks will be forever obtainable via the time trial chests anyway so you will get the pieces. Personally I think it is fine as it is. You get plenty of tokens for bronze+silver+gold and then you have the option of extra as an incentive for the race. Seems perfectly balanced and the wait isn;t usually more than 10-15mins anyway

Uhm... yeah 10-15 mins per race track.Sorry, but if you wanna get the daily marks to build a nice race track in your guild hall... but you don't have that much time to play per day it really really sucks a lot to spend 45 mins - 1 hour just for 3 (!!!!!) races.

tl;dr I've found something that works for me so that I spend a lot of time racing (which is still fun for me, even though I'm bad at it) and only a little time waiting.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount_race#Roller_beetle_races

Cycle length | Location | (cycle details) | (silver requirement; 3 lap timing) → Safe to start if...

• 0:10 Snowden (2 min warm up, 3 min race, 5 min cooldown) (silver requires 0:45; 3 laps = 1:35) → Safe to start with 1:35 left on timer.
  • 0:25 Maelstrom & Gendar (2 min warm up, 8 min race, 15 min cooldown) (silver requires 2:00; 3 laps = 6:00) → Safe to start with 6:00 left on timer.
  • 0:26 Diessa (2 min warm up, 9 min race, 15 min cooldown) (silver requires 2:30; 3 laps = 7:30 ) → Safe to start with 7:30 left on timer.
  • 0:28 Brisban (2 min warm up, 11 min race, 15 min cooldown) (silver requires 3:00; 3 laps = 9:00) → Safe to start with 9:00 left on timer.

Here's how I have avoided waiting for more than 10 minutes total per day:

Park a toon at each race (or at least at each daily location). Swap to it whenever I have the 5-10 minutes. Obviously if the starting area is up, I wait and run the race. If it's not, if the NPC's flag is up, I say "yes, let's race" and start... as I'm rolling, I mentally compare the numbers above, e.g. in Brisban, I need about 9 minutes remaining, although other people can manage with less and some people might want more.

If the race isn't up (or timer is too short), I swap. If none of the races I want are up, I'll do a timed trial, starting usually with the longest one (e.g. Brisban). There's time to finish a trial and be back to finish the race (even if it's started while you were gone). I swap to another map and repeat.

I'll also check to see the number of beetles sitting at the start: if it's few, I leave, if tons, I might wait a bit as that's often a strong sign it's nearly time.

If nothing seems to be happening (and none of my guidlies are posting a start time), then I'll skip the races and come back later.

So far, at worst, I've had to come back twice.

This doesn't mean that ANet couldn't make things better: do a better job of showing the relevant timers, including time remaining on the race and time remaining before race starts. But in the meantime, since none of that will change soon, this works for me.

Tbh I'm very disappointed the dailies are tied to the event.. I've been doing them every day as well trying to get as many of the tonics as possible (3 now Dog, Bear and Chicken as well as the minipet)

When they go away it's going to diminish my tokens per day by 25.. which is enough to get a new track piece per day.This leads to me become selfish with my tokens.. instead of investing in my guilds decorations (which I want to do) I'm focusing entirely on myself and my own rewards which kinda sucks as I want to do both but I don't want to miss out on any tonics or skins.There's probably more than enough time to get everything done in the time frame.. sure but I doubt it's enough to truly invest in crazy raceways in the guildhall.. halls.Not everyone is as comitted to doing daily races.. and even less are interested in donating their tokens/racetrack parts to the same guild.This will become even more of a problem if new rewards are added which I feel is a possibility considering we've yet to see the in game racing armor set aside from the goggles and helmet.

In that case I kinda wish dailies would stick around after the competition ends.. but more so agree that they should be tied to the time trail adventures and not the event races.

Yeah, I like decorations too, but i don't have time to wait around for racer dailies more than maybe once a week, and well, in order to have fun i tend to stay clear from these clumsy dailies.

Waiting for events is not what the event system is made for and it really never should be attached to achievements unless there's a specific reason for it. THese dailies cant be gone soon enough, I rather have increased rewards for the time trials.

@Randulf.7614 said:The dailies are around for 21 more days - I cannot see them making a change now. The race tracks will be forever obtainable via the time trial chests anyway so you will get the pieces. Personally I think it is fine as it is. You get plenty of tokens for bronze+silver+gold and then you have the option of extra as an incentive for the race. Seems perfectly balanced and the wait isn;t usually more than 10-15mins anyway

This is kind of the point of 2-3 pieces a day. If you get gold on all tracks that's 50 medals total, which is 2 track pieces, and the daily is another 25, which is the third.

With limited time to play per day, I quickly found that roller beetle dailies were something I really couldn't afford to do time-wise. Instead, I just focus on regular dailies that I do have time to complete along with hitting various chests on my parked alts. Eventually, I'll try to work on the permanent achievements, but I'll have to pass on roller beetle dailies.

Archived