Glyph of Leatherworking and new harvesting tool today — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Glyph of Leatherworking and new harvesting tool today

as of right now glyph of leatherworking is 515g on tp. And it currently takes 1084g to buy 250g.
Whereas you can get the new thunderstrike harvesting tool for 1000gems, and it includes a glyph of leatherworking. So its a -massive- deal for that costly glyph.

Comments

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I chose the glyph of leatherworking when they were released and every account was given 1 for free. Massively overrated IMO. Opening meta chests on a LV 53 character has done more for my leather supplies than any glyph.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    Ah, forgot to consider gold to gem conversion. Thank you. The glyph is 519gold right now.

  • Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @LucianDK.8615 said:
    Ah, forgot to consider gold to gem conversion. Thank you.

    The important thing was that you posted the suggestion that the tool is a very good deal for anyone wanting to buy the glyph. The rest is just presentation.

    The glyph is 519gold right now.

    The glyph has a market value that varies. I never buy high-ticket items for their lowest sale offer, so for me, the price is actually closer to 370 gold. Obviously plenty of people are willing to pay 519, but many are not.

    I used 400-500 because round numbers are easier for people to read, it's close to the market values over the past month, and it illustrates the principles involved just as well. (All of which is about presentation; the original post still has the most important detail: it's a good deal :) )

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Good words there, thank you.

  • my glyph of leatherworker is account bound.

    lel.

  • @luzonophir.7134 said:
    my glyph of leatherworker is account bound.

    lel.

    Right. Only the ones that drop from BL chests (called "unused") are tradeable. Once you open those up or any that come attached to an everlasting tool... those are bound.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • luzonophir.7134luzonophir.7134 Member ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @luzonophir.7134 said:
    my glyph of leatherworker is account bound.

    lel.

    Right. Only the ones that drop from BL chests (called "unused") are tradeable. Once you open those up or any that come attached to an everlasting tool... those are bound.

    well it just popped automatically as account bound in my inv.

  • Cheaper alternatif will be mistlock sanctuary + tools vendor https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tekka#vendor48.
    There is one tools npc in LA too. But using the mistlock sanctuary means you can buy tools and return to the same map you were in before. Pretty convenient imo.

  • @LucianDK.8615 said:
    as of right now glyph of leatherworking is 515g on tp. And it currently takes 1084g to buy 250g.
    Whereas you can get the new thunderstrike harvesting tool for 1000gems, and it includes a glyph of leatherworking. So its a -massive- deal for that costly glyph.

    Wow! I got my 'Leatherworking' Glyph for less than half of that just 2 weeks ago.

  • @GW Noob.6038 said:

    @LucianDK.8615 said:
    as of right now glyph of leatherworking is 515g on tp. And it currently takes 1084g to buy 250g.
    Whereas you can get the new thunderstrike harvesting tool for 1000gems, and it includes a glyph of leatherworking. So its a -massive- deal for that costly glyph.

    Wow! I got my 'Leatherworking' Glyph for less than half of that just 2 weeks ago.

    Yup. Price spiked at the end of last month, when the BL chest contents changed (that glyph no longer drops, so there's no new supply; that tends to encourage people to ask for more... because people end up being willing to pay more).

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @GW Noob.6038 said:

    @LucianDK.8615 said:
    as of right now glyph of leatherworking is 515g on tp. And it currently takes 1084g to buy 250g.
    Whereas you can get the new thunderstrike harvesting tool for 1000gems, and it includes a glyph of leatherworking. So its a -massive- deal for that costly glyph.

    Wow! I got my 'Leatherworking' Glyph for less than half of that just 2 weeks ago.

    Yup. Price spiked at the end of last month, when the BL chest contents changed (that glyph no longer drops, so there's no new supply; that tends to encourage people to ask for more... because people end up being willing to pay more).

    As someone who's been watching the price closely: before the glyph was in the chest, it sold for over 900g. While it was in the chest, it went pretty much all the way down to around 200g. Once it was no longer available it slowly climbed up to where it is now. It actually has taken a slight dip, it was over 600 last week.

    (Have one I'm hoarding to sell, but did not have enough listing fee gold to sell it at that time.)

    You can always put in an order at a lower price and hope someone decides to go for quick cash.

  • Yeah it can be very interesting to watch the price fluctuations on high ticket items. There used to be a tool that captured the variations in commodities, well the prime one anyhow: globs of ecto. At the time, there wasn't a robust API so the player had to do some weird reverse engineering of the BLTP UI to capture prices. It was fascinating to see people have converations (on reddit, on the old forums, in game) about "the price of ecto" and watch the website, where the price was varying up & down by as much as 2s, sometimes 3s, all in the span of minutes.

    The short of which is: there isn't any single "price" for any item. It varies depending on who wants to buy, who wants to sell. And their willingness to spend/list depends on all sorts of other factors.

    You can always put in an order at a lower price and hope someone decides to go for quick cash.

    Always good advice. Try to have an idea of what you're willing to spend before looking up an item and put in an offer that fits your interest rather than suits that of sellers or other buyers.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Looking at the price history of the glyphs it seems like the best time to buy is within a couple of days of the BLC change that alters the content.

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

    Buying the glyph of leatherworking on the TP is an act of madness. First of all, it will take literally years of daily use before the leather you collect will have a value greater than you paid for the glyph. In other words, it doesn't 'pay for itself' until YEARS after purchase.
    Second, if you buy a much cheaper glyph, like the watchwork one for instance, it not only pays for itself much sooner (in a couple of months of daily use), but it actually yields a greater average value of mats per day. In other words, if you collect watchworks, sell them, and buy leather, you will get more leather than if you use the leatherworkers glyph.
    The only reason to buy the leatherworking glyph is if you like losing money.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Buying the glyph of leatherworking on the TP is an act of madness. First of all, it will take literally years of daily use before the leather you collect will have a value greater than you paid for the glyph. In other words, it doesn't 'pay for itself' until YEARS after purchase.
    Second, if you buy a much cheaper glyph, like the watchwork one for instance, it not only pays for itself much sooner (in a couple of months of daily use), but it actually yields a greater average value of mats per day. In other words, if you collect watchworks, sell them, and buy leather, you will get more leather than if you use the leatherworkers glyph.
    The only reason to buy the leatherworking glyph is if you like losing money.

    Heh back when the watchwork pick first came out it was going to take me 7 years to break even. The game hasn't even been out for that long yet and I have multiples of that pick at this point but I would say it is still worth it.

    As for the leatherworker glyph ... it would take around 15,000 rugged leather sections. At a rate of 33% that means you need to gather 45,000 times.

    going to do a round of coffee fueled(my character, not me) gathering to see how long it will actually take. :p

    Imgur
    That took 20 minutes so around 1 minute per leather for a total of 10 days and 10 hours worth of play time.

    If done once a day that would be 430 days or 1 year and around 2 months.

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Khisanth.2948 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Buying the glyph of leatherworking on the TP is an act of madness. First of all, it will take literally years of daily use before the leather you collect will have a value greater than you paid for the glyph. In other words, it doesn't 'pay for itself' until YEARS after purchase.
    Second, if you buy a much cheaper glyph, like the watchwork one for instance, it not only pays for itself much sooner (in a couple of months of daily use), but it actually yields a greater average value of mats per day. In other words, if you collect watchworks, sell them, and buy leather, you will get more leather than if you use the leatherworkers glyph.
    The only reason to buy the leatherworking glyph is if you like losing money.

    Heh back when the watchwork pick first came out it was going to take me 7 years to break even. The game hasn't even been out for that long yet and I have multiples of that pick at this point but I would say it is still worth it.

    As for the leatherworker glyph ... it would take around 15,000 rugged leather sections. At a rate of 33% that means you need to gather 45,000 times.

    going to do a round of coffee fueled(my character, not me) gathering to see how long it will actually take. :p

    Imgur
    That took 20 minutes so around 1 minute per leather for a total of 10 days and 10 hours worth of play time.

    If done once a day that would be 430 days or 1 year and around 2 months.

    This is assuming you get rugged leather. Most of the time that will not be the outcome. On average, your payoff will be much lower, and your time to compensate much higher.

  • @Biff.5312 said:

    @Khisanth.2948 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Buying the glyph of leatherworking on the TP is an act of madness. First of all, it will take literally years of daily use before the leather you collect will have a value greater than you paid for the glyph. In other words, it doesn't 'pay for itself' until YEARS after purchase.
    Second, if you buy a much cheaper glyph, like the watchwork one for instance, it not only pays for itself much sooner (in a couple of months of daily use), but it actually yields a greater average value of mats per day. In other words, if you collect watchworks, sell them, and buy leather, you will get more leather than if you use the leatherworkers glyph.
    The only reason to buy the leatherworking glyph is if you like losing money.

    Heh back when the watchwork pick first came out it was going to take me 7 years to break even. The game hasn't even been out for that long yet and I have multiples of that pick at this point but I would say it is still worth it.

    As for the leatherworker glyph ... it would take around 15,000 rugged leather sections. At a rate of 33% that means you need to gather 45,000 times.

    going to do a round of coffee fueled(my character, not me) gathering to see how long it will actually take. :p

    Imgur
    That took 20 minutes so around 1 minute per leather for a total of 10 days and 10 hours worth of play time.

    If done once a day that would be 430 days or 1 year and around 2 months.

    This is assuming you get rugged leather. Most of the time that will not be the outcome. On average, your payoff will be much lower, and your time to compensate much higher.

    The leather you get is completely predictable from the level of the area you're in. It's a matter of gathering in the right spots - funnily enough, those materials are usually quite valuable in themselves (like Hard Wood, above)

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Imgur
    different run and character and with an item booster(via gobbler costing around 50 candy corn)

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is assuming you get rugged leather. Most of the time that will not be the outcome. On average, your payoff will be much lower, and your time to compensate much higher.

    The leather you get is completely predictable from the level of the area you're in. It's a matter of gathering in the right spots - funnily enough, those materials are usually quite valuable in themselves (like Hard Wood, above)

    So now you have to actually plan to farm specifically for the purpose of trying to pay off the purchase of the tool, and not just for use wherever you happen to be. Anyway, the end result is - it will take somewhere between a year (if you're really diligent) and several years to do so. All of which makes it not worth it, since other glyphs pay off much sooner than that.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.