Make an Option to switch forums background color from white to black

Nefras.7314

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ArenaNet Staff

About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

• ArenaNet Staff

In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

This may not be very reasonable/feasible, but would it ever be possible for there to be an in-game system to take a screenshot of the character screen and hit a button that directly uploads that picture to the site?

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

While I agree with and understand the linking other photos from other sites, etc (because some people have no chill), I think getting to use the face of a toon on our account should be possible in some way.

As for the no option for night mode thing, please reconsider this as an option. There are very valid reasons for this option, especially when it comes to people with visual impairments and should always be considered when designing a website. Unlike the profile icon, which we can all agree is a vanity issue, the harsh contrast is a usability issue at its core.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, true. although, depending on which tech you based these on, there might be a ready-made solution already?

Though layout-wise I'm more concerned about how large the avatars shown for "helpful" are, and how difficult it is to find the actual contents of the post. :pensive:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

It would be amazing if there was a way for you guys to export the character portrait we see when we target our character/when we speak in a dialog box.

@Roda.7468 said:

It would be amazing if there was a way for you guys to export the character portrait we see when we target our character/when we speak in a dialog box.

Agreed ~ That would be amazing!

@Roda.7468 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the word "avatars." Would probably be a lot of work, but it's a beautiful dream.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:When everything else fails, there's browser addons to forcefully turn any site into "night mode" like "Dark Mode" or that reduce the brightness like "Turn Off the Lights" for Firefox.

Does that work for only specific web pages? I don't want to change what my other sites look like, just this one.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:Night Mode Pro works good enough. f7c603f27e.png

@Donari.5237 said:

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:When everything else fails, there's browser addons to forcefully turn any site into "night mode" like "Dark Mode" or that reduce the brightness like "Turn Off the Lights" for Firefox.

Does that work for only specific web pages? I don't want to change what my other sites look like, just this one.

Just installed Night Mode Pro myself, and you can turn it on and off for individual pages. Works very well.

Yes, please do expand avatars. A few ideas would be:Guild EmblemsIn Game Faction EmblemsCharacter Portraits (Either of NPC's or even possibly character portraits of our account.)

I would love a picture of my guardian with his aviators to use in the forums.

These new forums do look really sweet. I really hope in the future we can use our in-game avatars as icons, but I totally understand from a security standpoint if they don't allow off-site pictures or hosting themselves. Maybe eventually something in the form of the API can include our characters.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

Due to my photosensitivity, and upon discovering reddit has a dark mode, I had stopped coming to the official forums at all. The amount of white is basically blinding to me, even with my monitors brightness turned all the way to its lowest. Though I like that you guys revamped the forums, you have to consider how things (monitors) have changed since the first iteration (they output a lot more light to produce the flashy, vibrant colours). Technology has evolved as well to allow a developer to flip colours at the simplest change in a master CSS. Hell, even Microsoft has acknowledged the need and allows not only its Office 365 product but Windows 10 to run in dark mode, which they continue to expand on all the time.

I can give all sorts of opinions on why ignoring the issue is a mistake... but you guys have numerous researchers that can undoubtedly read the research and studies that have gone into such issues with bright monitors/TV screens.

Quick feedback:

1. Black background and white text is just as bad for the eyes as a white blackground with dark text (good thing the text is gray, not black, because that is less of a contrast and thus better for the eyes).
  2. Ideal would be if the background had grey grain added or was a little darker (light grey, for instance).
  3. I like the new sections, much tidier now.
  4. The avatars are too blurry, please replace with HD versions.
  5. Make it possible to link to a specific post via anchor.
  6. The generally large layout is not my thing, especially since web designers can add a function that detects what kind of a device you are using. Mobile device = larger layout (higher readability), PC monitors = smaller layouts (or else there is too much unneccessary scrolling).
  7. Please remove the thumbs-down feature. That invites animosity.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

Actually I believe people who were annoyed were not at all doing ok but rather used third-party addons which made the old forums dark.Like this: https://userstyles.org/styles/76247/dark-gw2-forumsI hope we will get a similar addon for the new forums so that once again we won't "burn our eyeballs". Not having a light and dark theme nowadays seems a bit sloppy though, sorry. It is not that difficult to provide.

Archived