My game running poorly

Hello everyone,

I'll first post my specs:

CPU: intel core i5-7300HQ 2,50GHzGPU: Geforce GTX 1050ti with latest drivers8gb DDR4windows 10Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop

Okay so I know it is far from top tier, but my game is not really running great even though I have the feeling it should. I put my settings at the highest except for LOD, shadows, number of character models and maybe some I forget. I usually have fps at around 20 and it drops at 13-14 when under load... I feel I should at least have 30-45 fps with this setup.

Now, I know gw2 is poorly optimized, but do you think this is normal ? is there something wrong with my computer ? I don't have any other games on my computer right now as it is brand new so I can't test performance somewhere else.

Thank you for your time,

cheers

@Brotherhood.4752 said:Hello everyone,

CPU: intel core i5-7300HQ 2,50GHzGPU: Geforce GTX 1050ti with latest drivers8gb DDR4windows 10Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop

Okay so I know it is far from top tier, but my game is not really running great even though I have the feeling it should. I put my settings at the highest except for LOD, shadows, number of character models and maybe some I forget. I usually have fps at around 20 and it drops at 13-14 when under load... I feel I should at least have 30-45 fps with this setup.

Now, I know gw2 is poorly optimized, but do you think this is normal ? is there something wrong with my computer ? I don't have any other games on my computer right now as it is brand new so I can't test performance somewhere else.

Thank you for your time,

cheers

AutoDetect -> goto WvW zerg vs zerg -> Lagging? -> Graphic [options]--

you should be ok on PvE massive events if you in WvW zerg vs zerg feel graphically alright.

@sorudo.9054 said:it's not really your PC, the game can only handle single core CPU's so with meta events it doesn't matter how powerful your pc is.i have an i7 3350 with an 1080 extreme gamer edition yet my DPS drops like a rock in meta events, normally i have about 55-63 FPS.

Yeau okay, but still 20fps looks like something I should get ? it runs as good as my old computer with 3rd gen i5 and geforce 610M...

@Jimbru.6014 said:It's not you, it's the game. I have an overclocked i7-3770 with a GTX-970, which theoretically should be able to blow the roof off this game on ultra settings, but I have the same problems as everyone else. It's just how badly the game works, unfortunately.

Okay, thank you for your input. It kinda reassures me that it doesn't look like its on my side x)

First thing to do is to set everything on lowest (best performance preset) and see how it goes. Then you can start increasing the different settings.Your CPU is really slow at 2.5GHz and GW2 likes higher GHz values, so CPU intensive options should stay at the lowest values.You can increase render sampling to native, so the game doesn't look like it's from 20 years ago, you can increase reflections, shader quality and depending on how much VRAM your GPU has you can increase texture quality.

@maddoctor.2738 said:First thing to do is to set everything on lowest (best performance preset) and see how it goes. Then you can start increasing the different settings.

This. I always set the graphics settings to the lowest ones possible on any game I boot up for the first time, unless it's an old game that even a potato could run. But then, I don't have a beast of a PC that could run the latest games at a steady 60fps at the highest settings either.

@Brotherhood.4752 said:Hello everyone,

Thank you for your time,

cheers

I have Intel Pentium G4400 and AMD RX 560. Not populated areas are not problem for me, 60 fps+ with all settings at max. When i went for first time in town i got like 20 fps. Basically when a lot of ppl are bunched up in one place its horrible. What helped me was setting shadows to medium and distance of loading characters(idk how it is cant remember im not at pc right now its second option from bottom) either to lowest or low, that difd wonders for me.That helped me a lot now at populated areas i have around 40 fps with only those two options lowered rest is stil at max and its pretty playable. Since you have better CPU and GPU it might help you, give it a try.

Theoretically your cpu is powerful enough for midrange settings, but because it is a laptop variant, it has 2 major drawbacks:

1. To save battery, most of the cpu's in laptops don't clock as high as there desktop counter parts, they don't get as much voltage going.
  2. Most non-gaming laptops have not enough cooling for longtime highload CPU usage. At some point they will clock down to prevent overheating.

Don't know which of the 2 (or both) it is for you, but because GW2 values single core performance over everything else, you could try and fumble around in your laptops bios, down clocking the other cores and overclocked 1.Don't know how far you can get with that though

Archived