Crafting

1. Ask a not "yes or no" question.

2. Give only "yes and no" as answer opportunities.

3. ???

4. Profit

To try to answer your question:It's personal preference. Some people split up the crafting professions among multiple characters as to not pay changing crafting profession. Others like myself enjoy having everything on 1 character.

It depends on what you prefer.

It costs to switch crafting professions on a char. Granted it’s not much, but you do need to pay and if you’re crafting for profit then you need to take that cost into consideration, especially if the profit margin is tight. So your choices are to stack on one char and pay each time you switch to another craft or to spread them out, 2 per char, and log in to that char to swap.

I prefer to have 2 per char and swap chars but others prefer to log in on one and pay. /shrug.

Sometimes I feel like there should be some kind of test you need to pass before you’re allowed to make polls on these forums because almost no one makes accurate ones....

@PanDemonAeon.6412It’d be best to either have multiple alts, since you have to pay to relearn professions based on what their level is, but if you don’t like the idea of swapping to other characters just learn them all on one, it doesn’t cost that much (like 40s for a maxed crafting prof) and you can always get the “additional crafting disciplines” thing from the gemstone that lets you know 4 at a time so you don’t need to swap as often.

i upgraded my crafting slots one time a long time ago so have 3 crafts on my 2 mains. and 1-2 crafts on alts. if you dont delete characters it may be best to spread your crafting professions out. if you level new alts and delete old ones then perhaps its better to consolidate them onto 1-2 toons.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:

1. Ask a not "yes or no" question.

2. Give only "yes and no" as answer opportunities.

3. ???

4. Profit

To try to answer your question:It's personal preference. Some people split up the crafting professions among multiple characters as to not pay changing crafting profession. Others like myself enjoy having everything on 1 character.

This is the first thing that came to my mind after I read the poll and saw the poll options:

I personally have plenty of alts, so having the default discipline amounts works fine for me as I just switch between them. In addition to my noting the disciplines on my text character info sheets, the character portrait on the character select screen in-game also shows the active crafting disciplines on them, so that helps identify at a glance which character to switch to in order to craft a desired item.

! I would never spend any of my in-game gold, let alone out-of-game real money, to add more discipline 'slots' to individual characters as the way it is configured is just far too greedy for greed's sake with: a lot of disciplines to learn and train up, oh but you can only have 2 active at a time and need to pay an arbitrary amount of coin to magically remember how to craft something of a 'forgotten' discipline, and you magically forget everything about another one by remembering how to do this one...that is, unless you buy our 'super permanent unforget-how-to-do-things 2000' that lets you retain your knowledge of a discipline when you learn a third one...riiiiiight.

Back in the day before we had the gem store upgrade, I had secondary characters that had two crafting skills each. Necro had tailored and artificer. Warrior had heavy armor and weapon smith, Ranger had leatherworker and huntsman. I gave my Engineer chef and jeweler. I don't recommend buying another license slot as it doesn't serve much a purpose, especially if you don't have HoT's Scribe. All your toons share the same bank and same items. There is a lot of ways to level up your toons these days and I would only recommend buying them if you absolutely refuse to run more than three toons, for whatever your prerogative is. You are free to do what you want with your own money, but just using the toon slots you are granted is the most financially sound method.

Knowing that every character gets 2 crafting slots, is it better to have one character and to buy crafting slots/switching crafting professions or to have multiple alts and every character to have 2 crafting professions?

There is absolutely no need to have more than one character for each crafting discipline. Anything beyond that is an extra expense that should only be considered for convenience.

I maxed out crafting at two per character on some of my earlier alts, then bought the expander to get a third one on my main to add Scribe. It's not hard for me to remember which alt does what, and now that I can learn a recipe on anyone and have it go to them all the pain point is gone. Relogging is so fast in GW2 that it's no hardship to alt-hop if I am doing something that needs more than one alt, eg HOPE was mostly my LW/Chef/Scribe running around doing the in-world stuff and my Huntsman doing the crafting parts.

The crafts are part of their personalities and RP. I have no IC reason for one alt to know it all, and don't care to keep paying to swap skills.

@"StinVec.3621" said:This is the first thing that came to my mind after I read the poll and saw the poll options:

That totally nails it. =) Although I prefer 1976's "Murder by Death" and its fitting quote by Sam Diamond (played by Peter Falk):

"That can only mean one thing! ...and I don't know what it is." :p

@PanDemonAeon.6412 said:Hi all,

Need an opinion regarding crafting.

Knowing that every character gets 2 crafting slots, is it better to have one character and to buy crafting slots/switching crafting professions or to have multiple alts and every character to have 2 crafting professions?

Kind regards.

It's best to have 2-3 crafting disciplines per character, one for crafting armor, one for crafting weapons and the third one being optional, cooking. I prefer having the two important crafting disciplines for each profession necessary for end game content.

Let's say you're playing engineer. Engineers use medium armor, so leatherworker is the obvious choice. It's the weapon disciplines where things get a bit complicated. I suggest you pick a weapon discipline based on the type of content you're planning on doing. Pistols and rifles are mostly used by the engineer in fractals and raids, so hunstman is the most fitting choice.

The reason why I say cooking is optional is because it all comes down to you either wanting to max it out for your character or buying certain types of food from the trading post. It is one of the cheapest disciplines in the game, especially if you have completed the majority of hearts/quests across Central Tyria and it's fairly easy to max out. So you can have cooking on one character, max it out and make certain food items for other characters.

I learned 2 per character, it seemed like the obvious choice to me. But that's partially because although I knew switching was possible I didn't really understand how it worked at first and partially because I knew I was going to make at least 4 characters. I know some people find it much simpler to learn them all on 1, especially if that's an alt who stays in town so they're always near a crafting station.

There's probably a logical way to split them up, but I did it based on what I thought made most sense for the characters - what I imagined they would choose to learn (allowing for the fact that I didn't want any duplicates). It certainly helps me remember who can craft what because it seems obvious to me even when it makes no real sense (like my engineer learning artificing and jewellery - she can't use most of what she makes but it ties into her backstory).

The poll choices don't allow me to select anything so I answer with a reply. Personally, I have one char per existing crafting disciplines. Only exception: My main char is tailor and scribe.Now my way is that I like to have many chars, each with a specific role (wvw, fractals, raid, and so on). So for me, it was logic to have one char per crafting. :3

Echoing what others have said about the poll responses do not answer the questions you asked.

I have alts with 2 professions each. It makes sense to have heavy class crafting Armorsmith and weaponsmith. Medium to do leatherworker and huntsman, and lastly light class do tailor and artificer. Jeweler, chef and scribing on other toons.

Archived