Roller Beetle Racing

Rikimaru.7890

A while back I made a discussion on my opinion concerning the Roller Beetle:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/50591/roller-beetle-is-a-misfire#latest

And I think ANET may have taken my words into their hearts. As what I did was basically pointing out how useless it really is. But realistically speaking it wasn't me, but more the data traking they did to see how "popular" the Roller Beetle really is. So they decided to give it a purpose, other than the silly mechanic of breaking a few select walls.My opinion on the solution is short-lived-trend.

For starters races aren't very popular events unless some daily or one time achievement is involved. Because most players don't like sitting around waiting for an event to start. Which was a huge dilema back in the day with world bosses which was why websites with event timers became a thing. If you don't believe me just look at the "old" PoF areas, if you decide to do a race there it's very likely you will take first place as you will be the only one doing it, except for the one that starts in Amnoon as a lot of people hang around there, but even then if you get 5 players to participate in it it will be the height of the day.The Time Trial adventures aren't much better as most players just want to reach gold and then forget about it - I'm one of them myself.And it's not like the rewards for the Racing Medallions are anything special, of course there are players that will want to get all the new tonics, but many won't.It's hard to argue with that as the racing population had already thinned down to like 1/3 of what it was when it first came out, and how long has it been? Not even 2 weeks yet.

However the real problem will begin in around January once Long Live the Lich is no longer free again.Yes ANET had to make the episode cost 0 gems for the time being in order for this to work. And I'm perfectly fine with that, no really I am, as I got it free too back when it first came out for simply logging in. However the real issue here is that if you have to do such things for it to work then clearly it doesn't.And it doesn't because players that don't have the episode unlocked are at a disadvantage. They can rent the Beetle, but they do not have access to their mastery and without it they cannot perform tricks. Now that is not a big issue on a long run, however if you are aiming for gold then that is a huge problem. It's probably still doable but much harder.And finally the Roller Beetle will not gain any real popularity from it, these races will not cause it to be our first choice when exploring maps.

Did racing for 2 days, and already just frustrated with it. I was going to try and get the Dog potion, but there is no schedule for the race times. Spend way too much time standing around wondering when the race starts. When you die on the racetrack, you don't even get credit for the daily. I don't have enough time to spend an hour or so waiting, I am giving up on this content entirely.

Maybe this is fun for some people, but I'll pass.

@"Rikimaru.7890" said:A while back I made a discussion on my opinion concerning the Roller Beetle:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/50591/roller-beetle-is-a-misfire#latest

And I think ANET may have taken my words into their hearts. As what I did was basically pointing out how useless it really is. But realistically speaking it wasn't me, but more the data traking they did to see how "popular" the Roller Beetle really is. So they decided to give it a purpose, other than the silly mechanic of breaking a few select walls.My opinion on the solution is short-lived-trend.

For starters races aren't very popular events unless some daily or one time achievement is involved. Because most players don't like sitting around waiting for an event to start. Which was a huge dilema back in the day with world bosses which was why websites with event timers became a thing. If you don't believe me just look at the "old" PoF areas, if you decide to do a race there it's very likely you will take first place as you will be the only one doing it, except for the one that starts in Amnoon as a lot of people hang around there, but even then if you get 5 players to participate in it it will be the height of the day.The Time Trial adventures aren't much better as most players just want to reach gold and then forget about it - I'm one of them myself.And it's not like the rewards for the Racing Medallions are anything special, of course there are players that will want to get all the new tonics, but many won't.It's hard to argue with that as the racing population had already thinned down to like 1/3 of what it was when it first came out, and how long has it been? Not even 2 weeks yet.

However the real problem will begin in around January once Long Live the Lich is no longer free again.Yes ANET had to make the episode cost 0 gems for the time being in order for this to work. And I'm perfectly fine with that, no really I am, as I got it free too back when it first came out for simply logging in. However the real issue here is that if you have to do such things for it to work then clearly it doesn't.And it doesn't because players that don't have the episode unlocked are at a disadvantage. They can rent the Beetle, but they do not have access to their mastery and without it they cannot perform tricks. Now that is not a big issue on a long run, however if you are aiming for gold then that is a huge problem. It's probably still doable but much harder.And finally the Roller Beetle will not gain any real popularity from it, these races will not cause it to be our first choice when exploring maps.

Except if you watch the Guild Chat regarding Roller Beetle Racing, you will find the Devs state information contrary to your views.Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Archived