PvE - Guardian Solo build (+ small WvW aspects)

Vittich.4853

Dear fellow guardians, dear fellow GW2 players.

Recently, after quite a lot of time being absent in GW2 and having lots of troubles figuring out which character to play I went back to my guardian.The sheer amount of diverese weapons, range/melee possibilities and utility skills is what I really love.

Now after training a lot with a standard core-power-guardian build I want to improve and maximize my gear and skills towards my playstyle...

So what I'm looking for:

.A solo build for PvE capable of:.

• a) Dealing damage (not the most - but much) - If power or condition does not matter!
  • b) Being able to face most of the HOT-Veterans and overall some champions
  • c) Being able to do some dungeons without being a millstone around the neck... (No high fractals or raids! Just random-group-dungeons)
  • d) Being able to use several weapons if I want to (Using a GS with a power build all time for example is still ok for me)..

What I disliked about guardian builds I tried:

• Scepter + Torch - As i find Scepter really boring and torch not matching my playstyle like for example focus does.
  • The virtues "Aegis - 20% dmg" builds.. As I am still learning about many encounters and getting hit quite often its nearly impossible for me to have Aegis up all day.
  • Having only 10k life. I know I will loose some damage - but some champions are barely oneshotting me if I am not patient enough.. even after several trys.
  • Traps. I know this sounds odd - but I don't like traps very much. But this is only a minor factor I might get along soon (as I know the dmg-trap is a huge dmg-factor for DH)
  • Supporting others. - Please note that I'm not a selfish player and I try to help the players around the world as much as I can (fighting enemies, reviving them, helping with HPs I already did, ...) but I don't want a build focussing on teamplay very much- Anyways some group skills are okay as I am mostly running in a group of 2 :)
  • 5% dmg sigils. Maybe they are better - but honestly I find "sigil of Air, or even quickness sigils more satisfying....

What i liked about builds I tried:

• Weapons I liked the most: GS, Sword+Focus, Hammer, Staff, Axe - all the same!)
  • Power Damage: The sheer burst of GS, sword or Hammer is very fun, but also the staff damage when I have quickness.
  • Condition Damage: Firebrand plays very nice, I like the effects and also the massive AOE potential I have (for example for Events)
  • Healing skill: Litany of wrath is such a nice healing skill. Also I wonder if this works well with for example a Valkirie set as I am healing myself to 100% if I have a good dmg-timing
  • Utility Skills:
  • a) Sword of Justice (!!! for power and condition, for range and melee - it's just superb!),
  • b) Save yourselfs (for a bunch of nice boons like for example fury + retaliation) - where comes the question if when i'm using this utility skill - do I need 50% crit via gear?!
  • Elite Skills: Feel my Wrath - just because it feels so nice! Renewed focus is also a good choice for me...

To summarize:

.A build capable of the requirements I have listed above and maybe including the things I liked about builds I tried.I know there is no 100% OP-choice but maybe there are some toughts about a compromise - or mabye several different ideas.

As mentioned It's not important if I am Core / DH / FB or if I am Power or Condi. Also it's not important which weapon I am using.It would just be nice if the things I like are included.

Also I like playing around with different runes. For example Valkyrie gear with Vamp runes? Just another idea - as I am a bit overwhelmed.

Please let me know your thoughts!

In addition: Please let me know your thoughts how the provided build would work in wvw - please keep in mind that PvE is my main focus.

Thank you very much! :)

This is all available on Metabattle.

For PvE: based on your description, I'd recommend Core Guard as it meets all your criteria and allows the use of GS.https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Power_DPSSecondary weapon you can use Sword/Shield if you hate focus. I use Scepter Shield myself.

Don't worry about Unscathed Contender, the other minors aren't worth using in PvE anyways. I'd also highly suggest using Indomitable Courage as the Grandmaster for Virtues as an AoE stunbreak is awesome for your party.

For armor keep in mind you don't need the same amount of precision as other DPS, so you can wear some Valk gear or Marauder pieces to boost your health pool. Try to aim for at least 40% crit without retaliation up.

For WvW: can't help you much, as there are numerous builds depending on what you want to do: solo roam, zerg, small squad, meme, etc. Scroll down to the WvW section: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guardian

I'll say this much, you won't be effective in WvW trying to use the same gear from PvE. You will either seriously stunt your potential in PvE or you'll be a glass cannon in WvW, so if you want to play both game modes, consider the possibility of building two sets of armor with different runes, etc.

@Vittich.4853 I really admire the effort and thought you put into your post. It was clear, concise and easy to understand. Thank you.

I play Guardian frequently (I have altitis); it's one of my favourite professions.

I'd recommend, as @"Turkeyspit.3965" also does, to have a look at the builds on metabattle. They're pretty clear and easy to understand and quick to get started with. Based on your weapon preference and playstyle description (it's pretty similar to mine!), I'd recommend having a look at these two for open world:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Radiant_Greatswordhttps://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Radiant_Greatsword

They're fairly similar, but the second requires Dragonhunter. They suit your weapon preference (GS, sword/focus, the Dragonhunter variant can let you play with bow without too much penalty - I didn't notice much difference in open world effectiveness), amazing burst damage (really nice numbers, very satisfying), gives you Litany of Wrath (I don't use it personally, because I'm bad with it).

It is trap oriented, which you stated you didn't prefer, but I'll mention it's worth trying them. In these particular builds, the only two you use are Procession of Blades and Dragon Maw. They are both incredibly fun and give you a lot of control over your fights. That control aspect is one of the things I love most.

You control where the mobs you're fighting are standing and literally dump your power load on a whole group you've sucked into one spot and away you go to the next, because you literally obliterate open world. It deals with champs easily. You will crush vets. Added bonus with this build, is in your situation (duo?) you'll be able to protect and support your teammate (Wings of Resolve - heals, leap (many uses)), and Shield of Courage (block for them in "oops" moments)).

It also affords you wonderful breakbar damage for world bosses/dungeons/fractals). It's easy to gear (berzerker) and you do not require ascended (though you'll want it, I'm sure, once you see how it performs - and sure it's only 5% extra but you'll see why if you try it).

If you do get into Fractals, the build I use is: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Power_DPS. It's fairly similar in playstyle to the two above (which is why I play it), runs the same gear (different armor runes, but I just run Scholar and it still crushes open world). Only downside is you ideally "should" use scepter, which you state you don't really like, but the good news is, you can honestly run whatever weapon you prefer for dungeons/fractals, it won't make a big difference - I play with weapons all the time for funsies).

Anyway, take a look at them and I wouldn't even worry about gear initially - just switch to one of the open world builds and throw as close to zerker gear on as you can (it won't matter if there's a few pieces that aren't right, just shoot for power).

The last word I'll say is that yes the HP is low - mine's 12,725 (I run a PTV amulet and believe me it really is enough HP - your ability to defend yourself against champs and vets is very easy: Shield of Courage, Shield of Wrath, Zealot's Defense (destroys ranged attacks), Symbol of Wrath). Combine those defenses with your control ability and insane damage output, well it's just super fun to play. Give 'em a crack!

Archived