[suggestion] Remove SOULBOUND completely, ACCOUNT BOUND is enough

jhnsmth.2641

Soulbound (of items) is the past, no reason to keep it anymore.

Why our characters cannot share the wealth? We can only use one (character) at a time.From the economy point of view the low quality/cheap gear does not count much. (No reason to keep Masterwork/Rare items soulbound)I think most of the exotics is not high value enough, the expensive ones are just skin/collection unlock, the actual item does not matter too much.The exotic skins are already account bound, why not the actual items?

This (the soulbound status) is mainly an inconvenience, not a real gold sink anymore.The account bound items are already extracted from the game economy so the purpose is reached.

NO MORE REAL NEED FOR SOULBIND, ACCOUNT BOUND IS OK.

@Shirlias.8104 said:Talking about Account but Soulbound, is something meant to obtain something with 1 character but not to be forced to use with that one.Btw, i guess that account bound will remain a trait of ascended and legendary items.

Yep, funny thing is the best items (ascended and legendary) are already account bound.

Fully agree. Hopefully it would be simple enough to implement that they might actually consider it at some point. Hell, it'd help sell some bank tabs so they'd at least have some incentive to make it happen. I'd certainly be much more hesitant to salvage a gear set if I knew I might end up using it on another toon.

@jhnsmth.2641 said:Soulbound (of items) is the past, no reason to keep it anymore.

That's not true. Soulbinding removes wealth from the economy and it's critical that the game maintain such sinks. Additionally, there are lots of heart & quest related items that are soulbound, so that we actually play our toons rather than play a main and transfer items to our alts. And, it is actually incredibly costly to adjust the status of lots of items. (Easy enough to write a script to convert the flag for "soul" to "account", but also easy to screw up the game due to unexpected results — testing such scripts is what's so labor intensive).

I'd be okay with ANet changing things for the future so that

• Gear is always account bound on acquisition & only bound on stat select/equip/reskin; no more exotic weapons etc that are bound to whoever happens to find it first.
  • Quest & heart items are always soulbound.
  • Everything else is account bound on acquisition by default, unless there's a really good reason.

• 4 weeks later...

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@jhnsmth.2641 said:Soulbound (of items) is the past, no reason to keep it anymore.

That's not true. Soulbinding removes wealth from the economy and it's critical that the game maintain such sinks. Additionally, there are lots of heart & quest related items that are soulbound, so that we actually play our toons rather than play a main and transfer items to our alts. And, it is actually incredibly costly to adjust the status of lots of items. (Easy enough to write a script to convert the flag for "soul" to "account", but also easy to screw up the game due to unexpected results — testing such scripts is what's so labor intensive).

• Gear is always account bound on acquisition & only bound on stat select/equip/reskin; no more exotic weapons etc that are bound to whoever happens to find it first.
  • Everything else is account bound on acquisition by default, unless there's a really good reason.

If you read it through, it says Account Bound is enough. No one wanted to remove Account Bind.

So what if I can pass a used Exotic to my alt? Do you really think this is a violation of some kind? Money and most of our wealth is already shared.Why we cannot share the gears we get? I mean it is ridiculous that only the ascended and legendary could be shared.

@jhnsmth.2641 said:

If you read it through, it says Account Bound is enough. No one wanted to remove Account Bind.

So what if I can pass a used Exotic to my alt? Do you really think this is a violation of some kind? Money and most of our wealth is already shared.Why we cannot share the gears we get? I mean it is ridiculous that only the ascended and legendary could be shared.

Soulbinding removes wealth through the economy precisely because we can't use exotics on are alts. It's not a "violation" of some kind; it's a policy designed to increase demand for mats and prevent an oversupply of coin. That's not "ridiculous," just annoying.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@jhnsmth.2641 said:

Soulbinding removes wealth through the economy precisely because we can't use exotics on are alts. It's not a "violation" of some kind; it's a policy designed to increase demand for mats and prevent an oversupply of coin. That's not "ridiculous," just annoying.

I think it's well deserving of "ridiculous", at least since the bigger bags in Path of Fire came in.24 slot bags, as well as the 28 slot variant are soulbound, only 32 slot bags turn account bound. You upgrade them in steps, costing you a total of 18 Supreme Runes of Holding each.If you want to use craftsman bags on anything but a tailor, or oiled bags on anything but a leatherworker, you better collect the 18 runes and craft the 32 slot bags in one go, because yeah: Soulbound bags. You can't upgrade them anymore with the crafting professions on your account, if another char uses them.That's not annoying, but ridiculously user unfriendly.

I can understand why some things may need to remain soulbound (such as things pertaining to the story that aren't supposed to be shared, actually can't think of any offhand go figure) but I absolutely agree.This is needed now more than ever imo because as more Elite specs are unlocked with more options for power, condi and support, we need to able to reasonably try out and play with different builds. You won't always have a full set of ascended for classes that are not your main. And if you did go the exotics route the inventory space it takes to carry around multiple sets with you is another downside (and you can't place soulbound items on alts).

Anyway. There's been a trend lately of account-bound exotics: Machined weapons. LS3 achievement armors. Specialization armors. Halloween Lunatic armors. I don't see the harm in expanding it.

@tekfan.3179 said:

@jhnsmth.2641 said:

I think it's well deserving of "ridiculous", at least since the bigger bags in Path of Fire came in.24 slot bags, as well as the 28 slot variant are soulbound, only 32 slot bags turn account bound. You upgrade them in steps, costing you a total of 18 Supreme Runes of Holding each.If you want to use craftsman bags on anything but a tailor, or oiled bags on anything but a leatherworker, you better collect the 18 runes and craft the 32 slot bags in one go, because yeah: Soulbound bags. You can't upgrade them anymore with the crafting professions on your account, if another char uses them.That's not annoying, but ridiculously user unfriendly.

If you read my post, you'd see that I don't agree with soulbinding things like the inventory bags. There's all kinds of things wrong with doing more than account-binding them (and I'm not altogether sure it's wise to bind them at all).

Regardless, my point is that, whether we like it or not, whether it's user-unfriendly or not, there is a purpose to soulbound gear. It increases demand for the mats that we sell after salvage, by artificially removing items from the economy.

@jhnsmth.2641 said:

What he was saying is this would destroy the economy. The economy is currently balanced around the issue that you have to craft multiple sets of exotic gear, or spend a lot of extra to craft a single set of ascended. The gold sink is designed to make you choose which cost is better for you in the long run. If you make all exotic crafted in to account bound, even after equip, you will cause the cost of every material in the trade post to plummet to levels that ANet does not, and should not, want.

• 2 weeks later...

@Sojourner.4621:@Illconceived Was Na.9781:That economy balance was calculated when the player income was very low. I suppose (then) the exotics were precious items.Nowadays any (non F2P) player can get 2 golds on every day (dailys). This is a bare minimum. So he/she can get 1 or 2 or more exotics on every day.I think exotics are not really hard to get. So the inconvenience factor is much more relevant than the economy balance.I mean inconvenient to pass exotics to an alt. So this is more like an issue of (player) freedom for us. Why are we limited if it is not necessary?I do not think the economy balance (regarding the exotics if they can get account bound status) would hurt at all.

Archived