Ranger notes 12/11 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Ranger notes 12/11

Eleazar.9478Eleazar.9478 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2018 in Ranger

Ranger
Right now, spirits are playing an important role in our difficult end-game content by providing unique enhancements. When a trait is equipped with Nature's Vengeance, spirits also serve as low-cost boon generators. In this update, we made select changes to Nature's Vengeance to reduce the boon output and to clean up the trait. Depending on how these changes work out, we may further adjust spirits in the future.

Additionally, soulbeasts are currently overperforming in competitive game modes, so we're lowering the power of some of the skills used in their builds. We also took this opportunity to enhance a few of their weaker stances.

Call of the Wild: This skill's fury duration has been split between game modes and will now use a 6-second duration in PvP while keeping its 10-second duration in other game modes.
Bear Stance: This skill will now attempt to consume a condition before it heals.
Moa Stance: The cooldown of this skill has been increased from 25 seconds to 40 seconds in PvP only.
Dolyak Stance: This skill no longer applies retaliation. Instead, it now reduces incoming condition damage and physical damage by 33% for the duration of the stance in addition to its other effects.
Griffon Stance: This skill is no longer instant and now evades for 1 second in addition to its current effects.
Spirit Skills: Fixed a bug in which nature spirits could continue to apply effects to allies after they were defeated. The base health of spirits has been increased by 25%.
Frost Spirit: The name of the spirit that is summoned by this skill has been changed from Spirit of Frost to Frost Spirit to be consistent with other ranger spirit names.
Ambidexterity: Fixed a bug in which the bonus stats that this trait granted could be incorrectly applied.
Nature's Vengeance: This trait no longer increases spirit health. Individual spirit bonuses have been updated as follows:

Storm Spirit: This spirit now grants fury for 1 second instead of swiftness for 3 seconds on each pulse while this trait is equipped.
Frost Spirit: This spirit now grants might for 5 seconds for 1 stack instead of 3 seconds for 3 stacks while this trait is equipped.
Spirit of Nature Renewal: Fixed a bug in which the stability granted by the spirit of nature hit fewer targets than intended.
Water Spirit: The regeneration duration that this spirit grants has been reduced from 3 seconds to 2 seconds while this trait is equipped.
Soften the Fall: Fixed a bug in which the muddy terrain that this trait creates could last much longer than the intended 10-second duration.

Wilderness Knowledge: The duration of fury that this trait grants has been split between game modes. It now grants 4 seconds of fury in PvP and WvW while keeping a 6-second duration in PvE.
Winter's Bite: The duration of weakness that this skill grants has been split between game modes. It now inflicts 4 seconds of weakness in PvP and WvW while keeping a 10-second duration in PvE

undocumented changes:

dolyack now is on a 40 sec CD

Griffon stance also gives super speed and is on a 30 sec CD

Comments

• Eleazar.9478Eleazar.9478 Member ✭✭✭

Understandable nerfs, but alot of side buffs, if dolyack stance stacks with the protection trait omg, that's not too shabby.

Why no dagger buffs for PvP? Come on it's been over a year and dagger is still trash teir outside of pve autos

• Bye druid raiding with you was fun but i guess fb and tempest is better boon casters now

• Interesting they are starting to focus on Spirits now. I don't know though, I could never make spirits work in WvW. If they keep at it, it might become a good support for zerging.

More of a PvP nerf than a WvW and PvE balance. I still think pets need a major overhaul though. Canine with the ability to "smell" stealth characters would be a welcomed addition against Deadeyes in WvW.

edited December 11, 2018

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:
    Bye druid raiding with you was fun but i guess fb and tempest is better boon casters now

Druid will be fine, it's minor boon duration nerfs

• @Eleazar.9478 said:

Bye druid raiding with you was fun but i guess fb and tempest is better boon casters now

Druid will be fine, it's minor boon duration buffs

Yes but not meta anymore since why have it then fb or tempest can compisate for chrono nerf. Druid only do might

@Jake Orion.2049 said:
    Interesting they are starting to focus on Spirits now. I don't know though, I could never make spirits work in WvW. If they keep at it, it might become a good support for zerging.

More of a PvP nerf than a WvW and PvE balance. I still think pets need a major overhaul though. Canine with the ability to "smell" stealth characters would be a welcomed addition against Deadeyes in WvW.

slight boon duration Nerf but that dolyack stance looks attractive as kitten for wvw group play. And when traited with condition damage reduction and rune of the stars that's a 73% condtion damage decrease for the ranger when protection is up

• Krispera.5087Krispera.5087 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018

Dolyak Stance buff was really NOT needed for Soulbeast. It's only buffing Boonbeast to god tier. Meanwhile, ''Guard!'' ...

As for Winter's Bite, it's really more of a bigger nerf to Core and Druid since it was applied by the pets. Soulbeast didn't need Pet to apply it.

• ZhouX.8742ZhouX.8742 Member ✭✭✭

@Krispera.5087 said:
    Dolyak Stance buff was really NOT needed for Soulbeast. It's only buffing Boonbeast to god tier.

Meanwhile, ''Guard!'' ...

Wasn't consume plasma nerfed heavily though? Or does this not play into BoonBeast?

@ZhouX.8742 said:

@Krispera.5087 said:
    Dolyak Stance buff was really NOT needed for Soulbeast. It's only buffing Boonbeast to god tier.

Wasn't consume plasma nerfed heavily though? Or does this not play into BoonBeast?

Not to my knowledge, but moa stance got the Nerf which is a big hit to boon beast

And dolyack stance buff gets rid of the passive damage for actual group support

edited December 11, 2018

@ZhouX.8742 said:

@Krispera.5087 said:

Consume Plasma: This skill has been split between PvP and other game modes, reducing protection from 10 seconds to 4 seconds, and stability from 5 seconds to 2 seconds.

Yes it has been nerfed, but giving 33% reduced Condi and Damage is only going to nullify it (9 secs duraction/40 secs cooldown). Instead, it's going to be unstrippeable. A good Boonbeast will react accordingly and will use Moa Stance at the right time to get the best boons duration. People were spamming Moa Stance without thinking, now it will only need just a little bit more management.

I can see people use Griffon Stance with that extra evade and endurance gain to get ezpz Protection on dodge.

In overall (with everything in consideration), I still think it's a small nerf to Boonbeast, but that will not change much.

• @Laila Lightness.8742 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:

Yes but not meta anymore since why have it then fb or tempest can compisate for chrono nerf. Druid only do might

Wait, did I miss something? Where did tempest get more boons from? Just water/earth overloads now hit 10 ppl, but aurashare still only applies to 5.

• Could see the Winter's Bite nerf coming from a mile away. Bummer, but expected.

• Noha.3749Noha.3749 Member ✭✭✭

Spirits "change" isnt gonna change anything. I think it even might be better now with a proper "support" build, and worse on a dps build that throws in some spirits to "assist" the druid. Stormspirit might be decent now in say, fractals and/or raids, maybe lets you replace warhorn with something else ((for the fury uptime))... (idk what...)

Soulbeast damage remainst the same, stances is a fair "change". just a slight nerf.

Soulbeast got away muuuuch better than what (some) people think Holosmith did :p

And about that firebrand/tempest replacing drood i think not, firebrand got quite a hefty increased CD on 2 tomes, and tempests didnt rly get much in way of support..

FYI griffon stance is bugged doesn't provide superspeed

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

OMG Griffon Stance buffs?!

Healing orbs are a mistake. Please delete them ANet.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the changes were fair and we should appreciate the fact that arenet used a small hammer and not a larger one like in other professions case this round

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

Reading thru the notes didn’t leave me with the “kitten just happened” face

• Koen.1327Koen.1327 Member ✭✭✭

griffon stance works, you get superspeed whenever you evade an attack, for 9 secs long

@Koen.1327 said:
    griffon stance works, you get superspeed whenever you evade an attack, for 9 secs long

Oh really thanks the tooltip wasn't clear

• Tinnel.4369Tinnel.4369 Member ✭✭✭

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Koen.1327 said:

I feel like the tooltip reads superspeed and might on any evade, but testing shows superpseed only on evade while stance is active. Do allies get all these effects through trait?

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Koen.1327 said:

I feel like the tooltip reads superspeed and might on any evade, but testing shows superpseed only on evade while stance is active. Do allies get all these effects through trait?

They should just like might have to tested it though

• Solnos.8045Solnos.8045 Member ✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018

Spirit Skills: Fixed a bug in which nature spirits could continue to apply effects to allies after they were defeated. The base health of spirits has been increased by 25%.

Is this not big to anyone? Water spirit can no longer be popped instantly for regen. All spirits loses ¼ uptime. There's gonna be gaps where the dps of the group is lower now. You also can't pop the spirits a little earlier before moving between fractal spawns if you want to maintain their effects.

• @Solnos.8045 said:

Is this not big to anyone? Water spirit can no longer be popped instantly for regen. All spirits loses ¼ uptime. There's gonna be gaps where the dps of the group is lower now. You also can't pop the spirits a little earlier before moving between fractal spawns if you want to maintain their effects.

Dont matter anymore

• Lazze.9870Lazze.9870 Member ✭✭✭

I don't get why they have to nerf 3 fury sources at the same time, but I guess it won't matter for most builds.

• Some buffs and some nerfs. Seems pretty inline with what others got.

Glad to see them going for specific things rather than just nuking an entire weapon or skill because part of it (or a combo) is too good.

Previous patches would have just removed the cooldown on axe skills from Honed Axes to make winter's bite weaker. Probably removed the homing and snipped 20% damage too.

• @Lazze.9870 said:
    I don't get why they have to nerf 3 fury sources at the same time, but I guess it won't matter for most builds.

Too encourage more support roles and fewer dps

• DuckDuckBOOM.4097DuckDuckBOOM.4097 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

@Krispera.5087 said:
    Dolyak Stance buff was really NOT needed for Soulbeast. It's only buffing Boonbeast to god tier. Meanwhile, ''Guard!'' ...

As for Winter's Bite, it's really more of a bigger nerf to Core and Druid since it was applied by the pets. Soulbeast didn't need Pet to apply it.

Boonbeast got consume plasma nerf, axe 3 nerf, moa stance nerf. Dolyak isn't buffing boon beast to god tier. If anything, I see Dolyak stance as a buff to potential front line SB builds for WvW. 33% dmg reduction that is not stripable with bonus stability. Probably not enough to make it meta for frontline wvw but getting there.

@Eleazar.9478 said:

Lol what? FB does nothing but boons (quickness/aegis was never competing with druid), cc and damage/heals. Druid can do boons, cc, damage/heals too. Then comes the good stuff with spotter, frost and sun spirit, glyph of empowerment. Furthermore, the spirits (main affect and regen, might, fury, vigor, protection) and gotl are 10 target while FB only has 1x 10 target ability which is 10 target stability (and very low 10 target quickness because of this). Then add in the aoe immob, glyph of tides and a res that hits 10 targets. This is why Druid will still be meta/best in slot for various fights: better offensive buffs and better capacity to carry certain mechanics.

Tempest kicking Druid out of the meta because of 10 target overloads is also laughable. Water/Sun spirit + nature magic will still give 10 target vigor/regen at decent rates compared to Tempest. It still won't be first pick healer regardless of Druid's presence. FB/Ren can both be decent healers while providing boons too. Tempest is just buffed at being the second healer in a raid group.

FB is competing with Chrono not Druid. Since a FB require a Rev/Chrono to go along side it for alacrity, the meta will probably be 1 of the following depending on the fight:
    2 FB, 1 Ren, 1 Druid
    2 FB, 1 Ren, 1 ranger/soulbeast for spirits (minor variation of the above)
    1 Chrono, 1 FB, 1 Ren, 1 Druid
    2 Chrono, 1 Druid, 1 Extra which is maybe a tempest, another druid, or DPS if extra healing isn't required.

Edit: Just saw undocumented change of Dolyak having a 40 second CD. They really need to give SB 1 more source of AoE stability please! Help them be frontline support. Overall, patch looks ok for ranger.

• Tinnel.4369Tinnel.4369 Member ✭✭✭

Dokyak is 30 sec in wvw.

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

Storm Spirit: This spirit now grants fury for 1 second instead of swiftness for 3 seconds on each pulse while this trait is equipped.

Buff. :smile:

Frost Spirit: This spirit now grants might for 5 seconds for 1 stack instead of 3 seconds for 3 stacks while this trait is equipped.

Since most Might is from Grace of the Land. :neutral:

Spirit of Nature Renewal: Fixed a bug in which the stability granted by the spirit of nature hit fewer targets than intended.

Water Spirit: The regeneration duration that this spirit grants has been reduced from 3 seconds to 2 seconds while this trait is equipped.

No difference since Regen with the longest duration overwrites shorter ones all the time. :neutral:

Nerf on Sun Spirit (Vigor) and Stone Spirit (Protection) :anguished: :anguished:

• Durzlla.6295Durzlla.6295 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Eramonster.2718 said:

No difference since Regen with the longest duration overwrites shorter ones all the time. :neutral:

Nerf on Sun Spirit (Vigor) and Stone Spirit (Protection) :anguished: :anguished:

How were sun and stone spirit nerfed?

And I still wish they’d change the frost spirit boon to something other than might.

"But my children sing to me. Listen. They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family. As their mother, I have to grant them their wish."

• @Durzlla.6295 said:

@Eramonster.2718 said:

How were sun and stone spirit nerfed?

And I still wish they’d change the frost spirit boon to something other than might.

I wish unique buffs to be gone make spirits more intresring anet i want spirit to get spirit weapon treatment

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

UNSPLIT AXE SKILLS!

I'll even take this axe nerf in PvE as well just unsplit the skills, why do you do this to me Anet! :'(

• Clyan.1593Clyan.1593 Member ✭✭✭

These changes on spirits seem to me like they don't know how far they can go with nerfing something.
    I don't think this was necessary at all. Spirits are good, because they give group wide buffs while other abilities from Ranger are kinda meh.

@Levetty.1279 said:
    UNSPLIT AXE SKILLS!

I'll even take this axe nerf in PvE as well just unsplit the skills, why do you do this to me Anet! :'(

It's a meme at this point :/ . Also, on a more serious note, I think they know that unsplitting axe skills and Splitblade will spike Power Soulbeast DPS in sPvE through the roof since it's on a very short cooldown.

edited December 12, 2018

@Lazze.9870 said:

OK? The skills/traits I'm talking about are pvp changes only. All they do is making it a bit more tedious for a ranger to have permanent fury in pvp. Which is the one buff it shouldn't have a problem to keep up as it is the mainstay boon of the ranger (along with switfness and regen due to Anet's lack of creativity).

• @Levetty.1279 said:
    UNSPLIT AXE SKILLS!

Because it would probably completely outpace 1h sword with a proper Split Blade.

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:
    UNSPLIT AXE SKILLS!

Because it would probably completely outpace 1h sword with a proper Split Blade.

Sword would be so darn easy to fix.
    All AA should cleave.
    Hornet sting and monarchsleap should swap and the duration between should be prolonged.
    Horbet sting should evade from start ro end and not somewhere in the middle.

And there you go sword as power weapon fixed.
    If they would change poison master to like: "apply poison when applying cripple", you would have even a good condi weapon with sword.

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lazze.9870 said:

It's more that now you gain fury every 3 seconds with storm spirit which allow rangers to proc remorseless every 3 seconds and thus benefit from opening strike frequently. This is a nerf to the traditionnal rotation to maintain optimal uptime but at the same time a buff to remorseless which might have been on the weaker side of the grandmasters in it's traitline.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@Lazze.9870 said:

It's more that now you gain fury every 3 seconds with storm spirit which allow rangers to proc remorseless every 3 seconds and thus benefit from opening strike frequently. This is a nerf to the traditionnal rotation to maintain optimal uptime but at the same time a buff to remorseless which might have been on the weaker side of the grandmasters in it's traitline.

It's neither. It's Anet's way to look for some way to shave off ranger boon duration and hit some of the meta traits/skills at the same time.

Remorseless wasn't the weakest in its line. Marksmanship in general is weak for pvp.

• @Dadnir.5038 said:

@Lazze.9870 said:

Remorseless weak lol check lead the wind its a joke of a grandmaster ☺

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:
    UNSPLIT AXE SKILLS!

That says more about the state of 1h sword.

• Revenant might be the new healer, it got something like a 326% healing boost for centaur stance

• Miellyn.6847Miellyn.6847 Member ✭✭✭

@Eramonster.2718 said:

Regeneration got changed a while back. The highest healing is the active buff, not the longest.

Nerfs to Fresh Reinforcement would have been better than nerfs to base ranger boon duration.

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Miellyn.6847 said:

Regeneration got changed a while back. The highest healing is the active buff, not the longest.

This is good info :smiley:.

Nerfs to Fresh Reinforcement would have been better than nerfs to base ranger boon duration.

Sadly the patch was about boon sharing. Fresh Reinforcement being elite soulbeast exclusive and self boon not in the category.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.