Scrapper is now a mess and Elixir S utility is mandatory

Ruufio.1496

The changes were overall pretty bad.

Gyros are now all useless because none grant superspeed and lightning field upon death or stabilityy. Medic Gyro is back to being absolute garbage along with Elixir H. At least before you could use Medic Gyro because the cast time is fast and it granted stability. Now it's junk.

And here's the problem about utilities that are chosen for survivability; take bulwark gyro, for example. It helps you survive melee damage and ranged damage better. But Elixir S is superior in every way so now that Elixir S is not a trait anymore, now you must use the utility. A better change would have been to make the Elixir S trait cooldown 5 minutes so that it's really once per fight. And this goes for all class traits as such. Why would I use Sneak Gyro when I can use Elixir S for stealth? Why would I use Purge Gyro when I can use Elixir C or better yet... Elixir S?

We also only have access to 1 lightning field now with hammer (shredder gyro doesn't count) so what's the point of Shocking Speed?

Barrier and Superspeed is clearly supposed to be the scrapper support so it needs to be more coherent.The other traitlines for scrapper should also be more coherent for both A: a possible condition build and B: a possible power build.

InB4 Elixir S is nerfed completely.

If anything, this patch just proves how bad elixirs and now even all gyros are. The trait synergy and utilities themselves are bad. And no, you can't nerf Elxir S to make them all seem better because then engineer becomes a free kill jut like a necromancer is by himself.

To anyone reading this: If you don't take Elixir S on your bar, you are now a free kill just like a necromancer is. You may even be the #1priority target after this patch. Think about team fights and high level play - you are dead without Elixir S.

I never ran dual Elixir S before because there were better options than ceasefire twice. But now?This patch: You now have 2 utilities to choose from.

PS: Elixir S was not a problem for 6 years until you made it give immunity to condition damage. The only ones complaining before were bad engineers who received a death sentence from conditions because they were bad. Now you have killed build diversity by making the Elixir S utility mandatory. Thanks. How about just revert the buffs? I doubt this would have happened if Josh Grouch was still at Arenanet.

They should've just given all immunity traits (dmg or cc) the same treatment. And toned down overall damage in the process. On its own the change is questionable, imo. It buffs what holo's already good at (sustain / recovery) and nerfs it where it lacks (scaling damage / focus mitigation). Defense traits are and have been a necessity because there're too many ways to inflict lethal damage without proper telegraphs. They basically removed the symptom without addressing the root of the problem.

It feels like the entire class got the short straw just because Holo was over performing. I'm going to really miss the lightning field drop and superspeed from Final Salvo, I don't think it needed to be changed. What they could have done is given this to Applied Force (Minus Superspeed) and left Final Salvo unchanged.

@Ruufio.1496 said:PS: Elixir S was not a problem for 6 years until you made it give immunity to condition damage. The only ones complaining before were bad engineers who received a death sentence from conditions because they were bad. Now you have killed build diversity by making the Elixir S utility mandatory. Thanks. How about just revert the buffs? I doubt this would have happened if Josh Grouch was still at Arenanet.

Amen brother, just another case of anet balance team over tuning and then coming back 6 months later and tearing it down to dust.

I like the Revision. It is great. Great changes.

Ok now some Explanation maybe^^: for my solo romaing playstyle in WvW, Scrapper always lacked mobility. Rocket boots were the only way to add a little bit of mobility to it, but to Close gaps they were suboptimal due to their fixed range of 1200 (traited). The new grandmaster trait synergizes very nicely with CC-focussed builds. Together with Streamlined Kits, Tool Kit and some CC sources, it leads to a nice uptime of on-demand superspeed, topped of with stability.

But it Looks like I am the only one thinking like that^^

I just read again the Scrapper article when it got revealed 3 years ago.

1. "unless you count any leap finisher effects that you happen to have laid out; each section of rocket charge is its own leap finisher."
  2. "I hadn’t considered it in terms of other kits, but yes, the hammer and Scrapper specialization do cover the electric theme. Electricity also exists in the game through Lightning Combo fields, which can cause vulnerability, dazing or grant super speed."
  3. "depending on the gyro they will try to remain close to you"
  4. "The Scrapper is skilled at locking down enemies and when traited for it, granting super speed to allies. During raids in particular this helps greatly with shattering enemy break bars and ensuring that your team can get where it needs to be."<<The best one.
  5. "In PvP the scrapper is going to want to single out enemies and lock them down through a combination of dazing and damage counters."

@Slapinator.4196 To be completely honest, that is no surprise. Scrapper always looked like the elite spec from HoT in which they put the least amount of thought into for me. It almost looked like they actually reworked the entire spec just a few moments before presenting it to the audience.

It took them a great amount of time to find out what scrapper should actually be. I started to think that they finally figured it out, that scrapper could be a supportive tank spec and it was actually fun to use it that way. I don't know why they had to ruin the progress they made again by deleting stuff like Final Salvo....

I've been playing around with core Engi a lot today and actually having a lot of fun. Bear in mind the following is about solo WvW, so take it with a grain of salt.

Of course the majority of players I've had success against haven't been the best, but given I'm still adjusting to this build, neither am I. Still, it's quite the lethal little package if I'm creative with the many CC's I have access to.

Explosives versionhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFAUnUIC9dhdeBOeBsehlBj6LAWv3bcBbwDT8dKhEE-j1BEQBu8BA4QlfuTHg/U/JH7PsRlgA4CAEAAB4m3MAczbezbezb21tZ2MbezbmUAqu1C-w

Firearms versionhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFAUnUIC9dhdeBOeBsehF2iCcEPxAQsjmibcMH3xaD-j1BEQBu8BA4Qlf5Y/hNqEEAXAA/p+j70BEAAB4m3MAczbezbezb21tZ2MbezbmUAqu1C-w

Essentially, it's about playing keep away with your opponents while laying as many high damage CC's on them as possible when ever they manage to get near (which there are seven of). Obviously I didn't design this with being competitive in mind so if anyone feels like giving it a try there's no need to tell me of the short comings. It has a lot of weaknesses (obviously, it's core Engi) but it's super freaking fun.

I'm still sad Scrapper got butchered but, looking on the bright side, at least I found something new to play with.

After a lot of Scrapper solo roaming I have to revise my previous Statement....

When Meeting an evenly skilled Holosmith, the holo wins... always. Less skilled holos may loose, but that just means Holo overpowers powerscrapper currently.On the other Hand, I only had very few Encounters that gave me an easier time against, then I had with holo, mainly due to more blocks and evades that are nice to avoid the hard hitters.

Archived