Tempest defence, you will be missed.

Eddbopkins.2630

I need an explanation from a dev as to why they feel the one and only skill in the ele arsonal that had the ability to stop insta bursts was deleted from the game. If they already have and i missed it can some one point me in the right direction? I want to love the ele i really want to but the devs just seem to poop all over it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forum : pls we need some sustain and general buffs/change in others lanes than water/arcane.Anet : Nerf tempest defense

What a mess, tempest defense was so useful in pvp / roaming, and strong with Lightning rod. Now the build is dead.And tell me where do you see access to Stun in Elem ? Only schocking aura.... They delete schocking aura, but they buff Schoking aura ...Edit: and staff air#5, but How i'm supposed to burst with staff ? In Air attunement ?

This trait, Stormsoul, is both better and worse. Now the 10% damage buff includes all disables. It used to only work on knocked-down and stunned foes. I always disliked that. So now you have your damage buff more often. It also increases stun duration by 33%. Not bad. Ele has some other stun access besides the one you got from Tempest Defense upon being disabled. You just can't expect it to stun the attacker who disabled you. So be careful out there!

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@Jski.6180 said:Now the only class in the game with out an reaction to hard cc effect... another exclusively list ele hits making it the most exclusive class in the game sadly its all the lack of and not have.

Gale Song still exists. So this statement is wrong.

Right i forgot about that all though all the others are on core classes and that from tempest so its part right but also part wrong.

As a lover of Lightning Rod, it is a great nerf. Not only it was nice to stop bursts, but it was good as a damaging option in solo PvE. A monster cc me ? Tempest Defense along with Lightning Rod and Zephyr's Boon and some interrupt sigils would do great damage.Why did we lost our only cc defense as a core ele? Why only us and not other professions ?

I was expecting some new sustain with this patch, instead it got worse...

Unless something has changed, increasing the duration of CC via traits does almost nothing in PVE. The breakbar damage is a hidden number tied to the skill, and is not actually dependent on what the CC does. While these traits increase the duration of these skills, it doesn't increase breakbar damage.

At least that is how it works with the Scrapper.

Ele at most has 2 cc moves available with any given weapon set and there on usually a 30+ second cd skill. We have zero utility cc, un like many other classes so the change to stormsoul is so confusing and dumb founding to me. Having a titsy itty bit linger cc duration is in no way shape or form makes up for the lack of counter cc the ele lost.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:As a lover of Lightning Rod, it is a great nerf. Not only it was nice to stop bursts, but it was good as a damaging option in solo PvE. A monster cc me ? Tempest Defense along with Lightning Rod and Zephyr's Boon and some interrupt sigils would do great damage.Why did we lost our only cc defense as a core ele? Why only us and not other professions ?

Mesmer also lost it's passive CC immunity (and got a boring stupid passive in return) trait and they've been trying to phase out a lot of auto save my bacon traits. Look at Elixir E now, hands down Elixir S auto proc was better but it was also very annoying to play against.

I'm glad shocking aura is gone, it was very passive, on too low a cool down and shocking aura is far too strong vs anything without stability. It was not fun or engaging to play against.

@apharma.3741 said:

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:As a lover of Lightning Rod, it is a great nerf. Not only it was nice to stop bursts, but it was good as a damaging option in solo PvE. A monster cc me ? Tempest Defense along with Lightning Rod and Zephyr's Boon and some interrupt sigils would do great damage.Why did we lost our only cc defense as a core ele? Why only us and not other professions ?

Mesmer also lost it's passive CC immunity (and got a boring stupid passive in return) trait and they've been trying to phase out a lot of auto save my bacon traits. Look at Elixir E now, hands down Elixir S auto proc was better but it was also very annoying to play against.

I'm glad shocking aura is gone, it was very passive, on too low a cool down and shocking aura is far too strong vs anything without stability. It was not fun or engaging to play against.

Yeah it was, but it was a great survival tool for the most squishy profession.Did we get any sustain in return? No...Ele is already the first to go down, we asked to recieve more sustain and they did the opposite!

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

Yeah it was, but it was a great survival tool for the most squishy profession.Did we get any sustain in return? No...Ele is already the first to go down, we asked to recieve more sustain and they did the opposite!

Tempest defence was a crutch. I've been playing core D/F ele in WvW and while I did feel squishier than the other elite specs my health regen was far more than most.

I also play lightning rod Sw/F weaver and never had to pick a crutch like tempest defence.

If you're the first to go down then maybe you should be looking more carefully at what happened and what you did wrong rather than proclaiming the class automatically bad. You have the evades to deal with prolonged attacks (elite spec vs elite, core vs core) as well as raw damage reduction from protection assuming you went arcane coupled with good sustain if you trait for it.

@apharma.3741 said:I also play lightning rod Sw/F weaver and never had to pick a crutch like tempest defence.

I mostly only play PVP but I would never have considered not combining LR with tempest defense for Sw/F when the alternative is boon on glyph + LR or a bit of ferocity + LR. You get some survivability and damage but if you want to play offensively with Sword in PVP you did not have much better options when traiting Air. The principle to avoid it because it is passive (or rather kicking on an action that is not dependent of the player), well, lots of the trait are passive.

@Ivarian.9018 said:

@apharma.3741 said:I also play lightning rod Sw/F weaver and never had to pick a crutch like tempest defence.

I mostly only play PVP but I would never have considered not combining LR with tempest defense for Sw/F when the alternative is boon on glyph + LR or a bit of ferocity + LR. You get some survivability and damage but if you want to play offensively with Sword in PVP you did not have much better options when traiting Air. The principle to avoid it because it is passive (or rather kicking on an action that is not dependent of the player), well, lots of the trait are passive.

I fully share this statement. You don't have great other options in master trait. And tempest defense, while providing some defense is another way to trigger lightning rod, one of our strongest hitting attack.33% stun duration is a severe nerf, shocking aura was ten times better, and it is indirectly a nerf to lightning rod.

@Ivarian.9018 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:I also play lightning rod Sw/F weaver and never had to pick a crutch like tempest defence.

I find the 20% reduction in gale and polaric leap worth not taking a passive trait, the CDR on swirling winds is also quite nice for dealing with pew pews. I don't like passive auto activation traits and certainly not ones as strong as shocking aura.

Being able to use gale more often in a block heavy meta is REALLY nice, give it a try and you may realise aeromancer's training isn't anywhere near as bad as you think, especially if you primary attune air and have your offhand CC to benefit from the increased ferocity where they thankfully didn't touch lightning rod.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aeromancer%27s_Training

@"apharma.3741" said:I find the 20% reduction in gale and polaric leap worth not taking a passive trait, the CDR on swirling winds is also quite nice for dealing with pew pews. I don't like passive auto activation traits and certainly not ones as strong as shocking aura.

Being able to use gale more often in a block heavy meta is REALLY nice, give it a try and you may realise aeromancer's training isn't anywhere near as bad as you think, especially if you primary attune air and have your offhand CC to benefit from the increased ferocity where they thankfully didn't touch lightning rod.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aeromancer%27s_Training

True, I forgot about the CDR part of Aeromancer's Training. That's a fair alternative I admit even more that Tempest Defense is not an option anymore.

@apharma.3741 said:

Tempest defence was a crutch. I've been playing core D/F ele in WvW and while I did feel squishier than the other elite specs my health regen was far more than most.

I also play lightning rod Sw/F weaver and never had to pick a crutch like tempest defence.

If you're the first to go down then maybe you should be looking more carefully at what happened and what you did wrong rather than proclaiming the class automatically bad. You have the evades to deal with prolonged attacks (elite spec vs elite, core vs core) as well as raw damage reduction from protection assuming you went arcane coupled with good sustain if you trait for it.

So other passive def effects like that are also crutch? Tempest def was one of the weaker version of this type of def it was only strong when you where able to add in aura share to give other the shacking aura. There no way 33% longer stun duration will ever make up for this lost. It is a hard nerf to an effect please stop acting like it was not.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:Ele at most has 2 cc moves available with any given weapon set and there on usually a 30+ second cd skill. We have zero utility cc, un like many other classes so the change to stormsoul is so confusing and dumb founding to me. Having a titsy itty bit linger cc duration is in no way shape or form makes up for the lack of counter cc the ele lost.

I think you mean atleast 2 cc skills. Weaver especially has access to a lot of cc. Maybe not as much as other professions. But it's still pretty good.

@Jski.6180 said:

So other passive def effects like that are also crutch? Tempest def was one of the weaker version of this type of def it was only strong when you where able to add in aura share to give other the shacking aura. There no way 33% longer stun duration will ever make up for this lost. It is a hard nerf to an effect please stop acting like it was not.

Yes all passive traits like that are crutches, I thought I'd established that when I said that "Mesmer also lost it's passive CC immunity (and got a boring stupid passive in return) trait" and that I've already established in multiple posts over the years that I don't like these kinds of traits.

Also wow, you think shocking aura is weak? You really are out of touch.

@Tom.8029 said:

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:Ele at most has 2 cc moves available with any given weapon set and there on usually a 30+ second cd skill. We have zero utility cc, un like many other classes so the change to stormsoul is so confusing and dumb founding to me. Having a titsy itty bit linger cc duration is in no way shape or form makes up for the lack of counter cc the ele lost.

I think you mean atleast 2 cc skills. Weaver especially has access to a lot of cc. Maybe not as much as other professions. But it's still pretty good.

Remember the new trait boost stun duration only, not all CC. So basically shocking aura, static field, and weaver scepter earthen synergy. Unless you want include a couple water skills, shocking bolt from GoE (Air) and Deep freeze from Frost bow which is lulz in pvp and wvw

@apharma.3741 said:

@"Aigleborgne.2981" said:As a lover of Lightning Rod, it is a great nerf. Not only it was nice to stop bursts, but it was good as a damaging option in solo PvE. A monster cc me ? Tempest Defense along with Lightning Rod and Zephyr's Boon and some interrupt sigils would do great damage.Why did we lost our only cc defense as a core ele? Why only us and not other professions ?

I don't mind them removing this "passive gameplay" that people like to complain about, but the 33% stun duration increase is honestly so bad, there's no reason to ever want to take this trait over Aeromancer's now except just for the 10% dmg boost against cced targets when you can find the use for that often (i.e. pve stunned mobs)

Not sure why they can't make it give a few sec of quickness or even just superspeed on landing your cc, for example, for immediate effect so you can actually do some active gameplay of chaining your cc with some extra 10% dmg or defensive cc and kiting with superspeed. Instead we got passive (ironicially) duration increase that has no presence in competitve play.

Another one of the ele's traits that was great but now put into garbage tier by awful anet balance team (am still salty about arcane fury change, and always will be) that seems to only know how to balance ele for raids and dps golems.

@Tom.8029 said:

No i mean 2 and at most only 2 at given time. Look it up if im wrong ill retract my statement.

They are all such a long cd that there hard to use successfully since stability is everywhere. Ele cc is one of the weakest in game if not the weakest, and this trait will in no way shap for form help out the ele.

The idea of changing tempest defence to boost the almost none exsistant cc access ele has is a completd spit in its face. If the ele was a real life creature he'd be tearing up the anet office and wonder when its a good idea to pick this trait. But there never will be a good time to pick this trait cuz this trait doesnt work with the ele arsonal at all not even alittle bit.

Im disgusted by this change, and i feel 2018 is the last year of gw for me.

Archived