Offset the Nerfs with Larger Wells that Tick

Zoe.8310

After playing and Raiding last night, I can easily say that Chrono is significantly less fun to play now. Previously, I had a measure of control before casting Signet of Inspiration to know what boons my comrades will have. Now? It's a crap shoot. Who knows if I am casting SOI at an optimal time anymore. It could be 0.5 seconds too soon or too late for all I know.

This is not fun gameplay.

If you (ArenaNet) are going to keep said nerfs, at least increase the size of Wells. So far that is the only thing I can think of that can salvage this situation. If wells weren't so itty-bitty and tiny, then I could at least have better control over boon application. If their radius were the size of Time Warp, for instance, I would be in a far better position to know who has what before I cast SOI.

The other thing that would significantly help is if our Wells TICKED their boon, instead of sitting at the end. Why in the world would you create a combat system and encounters that require so much movement and dodging and then ALSO add a main source of boons being sitting like a duck for 3 seconds??

Who thinks up this stuff???

Having to stay put for wells is the major offender no doubt.

• I would love to have small bursts of quickness/alacrity for 5 man parties when you use shatters though. It would at least put it on par to FB/renegade ability to give quickness/alacrity in a radius while moving.

No need for all those fancy boons that Chronos used to share by shattering with the 'Bountiful Disillusionment' trait. Simply make 'Seize the moment' trait apply AOE quickness to 5 targets (maybe 1 second, not too op with 0% boon duration) and also 'Flow of time' in a similar fashion. The cooldowns between shatters are long enough not to be abused and it also rewards gameplay when you take the time to manifest up to 3 clones and shatter to deal damage/cc/distort as it also adds more quickness and alacrity if you shatter more clones in a single instance. And if it turns out to be too strong with certain builds - looking at staff/scepter clone generation, the alacrity/quickness duration could always be cut to make it balanced so that players don't always overcap on quickness and alacrity.

Chronos have already lost their break-bar damage power to this patch, and a boon-chrono is not able to provide boons like protection nor stability as a firebrand would anymore. They are outclassed by a pure healing renegade (w/ alacrity) with staff for cc and a quickness firebrand for other utility boons. I think chronos can be afforded a little bit of reprieve to actually have better alacrity/quickness mechanics.

@"OpiumRagDoll.1086" said:I think chronos can be afforded a little bit of reprieve to actually have better alacrity/quickness mechanics.

Ding ding ding!!

All those nerfs they have done to these two boons over the last year(s) need to be rolled back to some extent. Something needs to be done to give the Mesmer it's identity back.

@Zoe.8310 said:The other thing that would significantly help is if our Wells TICKED their boon, instead of sitting at the end.

@"OpiumRagDoll.1086" said:I would love to have small bursts of quickness/alacrity for 5 man parties when you use shatters though.

I second this. If wells pulsed their boon, that would not only make the gameplay a lot faster again, it would also mean players can get their respective boons by positioning themselves in the AoE again after they had to dodge or do some other mechanic and not get screwed over for the next ~15 seconds.The quickness/alacrity being 5 man on both "Seize the Moment" and "Flow of Time" with maybe a small ICD will also help being more flexible and could salvage problems that occured for WvW-chronos aswell.

@Bramymond.7689 said:

@Zoe.8310 said:The other thing that would significantly help is if our Wells
TICKED
their boon, instead of sitting at the end.

@"OpiumRagDoll.1086" said:I would love to have small bursts of quickness/alacrity for 5 man parties when you use shatters though.

I second this. If wells pulsed their boon, that would not only make the gameplay a lot faster again, it would also mean players can get their respective boons by positioning themselves in the AoE again after they had to dodge or do some other mechanic and not get screwed over for the next ~15 seconds.The quickness/alacrity being 5 man on both "Seize the Moment" and "Flow of Time" with maybe a small ICD will also help being more flexible and could salvage problems that occured for WvW-chronos aswell.

Idk,

1. I think it would be better if boons were applied in aoe around mesmer on cast and than well would be placed (with negative effect for enemy on the enemy) i would call this purity of purpose. It would be easy to use, not require melee range and idk, be reliable.

2. It would salvage it somewhat, but the thing is WvW doesn't really care all that much about quickness and alacrity, it's more about actually having any boons and most specifically stability and protection. All others can be considered cover boons for these 2, while ofc having benefits, but not nearly as much. Mesmers tended to retain their boons during a push by playing smartly and than reaplying almost everything (albeit for quite short duration) after everyone gets out of bubble. This in turn gives instant cover boons and some breathing space to guardian for instance. Having bountiful for vigor and fury and stab also helped a lot, tbh if only one of these 2 things was lost it would have been much better, but losing all reliable boon aplication on a class that was the biggest offensive boon spammer (defensive one being guardian) and 1 of only 2 support builds being played consistently (other also being guardian) is just too big.

@Knox.8962 said:

@Veluna.7316 said:Honestly, I don't really care how, but I do wish alacrity/quickness application was not as annoying with how its implemented on Wells as it is now.

Up until 2-ish months ago, standing in wells is how everyone got the vast majority of quickness and alacrity from chronos.

I would disagree.If you look at the history of changes:The change that spawned this SoI Mimic playstyle was the removal of the Illusionary inspiration trait which previously triggered an additional SOI in a 600 radius. This old trait helped overcap on quickness and alacrity. Only on very fast kills and semi permanently stationary bosses that did not require cc could you afford to have chrono drop the inspiration traitline and run timewarp.And at the vanilla stage of chrono, you had permanent alacrity (when it was still a unique buff, not a boon) not from wells, but from shield phantasms while tides of times supplemented quickness. Wells provided less quickness and alacrity than they do now and were honestly a small part of the uptime.

The chrono trait 'Flow of time' has never been changed and was probably always the source of initial outgoing alacrity when coupled with SOI after it became a boon. Up until this most recent change that is.

@drgast.1469 said:I think a larger size and ticking would probably make them too easy to use, tbh, not that I wouldn't love that. One or the other would probably do the trick and I'd be in favor of keeping the size and just adding a ticking boon instead of application at the end.

We just came from an era where you could instantly apply all boons to 10 allies in a 600 ranged radius on a 30 second cooldown at the click of a button to a 240 radius Well that applies a singular buff after 3 seconds and you still need to take the time to aim and cast the ability for 30 second cooldown.

Which goes from super easy alacrity and quickness application and many other features to extremely hard to wield due to the 3 second delay. In very dynamic situations alacrity and quickness application is unreliable. I'd like to be useful and not problematic due to mechanics restricting people.

@Justine.6351 said:A weird idea for Wells,

Cast them on yourself and they follow you around ticking their damage/conditions/boons per second. During it's duration there is a rollover skill for the well that allows you to cast it off you to target location for a large effect and ending the well.

thats a good and fun idea ! ( like powering it up on yourself then tossing on a location you desire)

@Axl.8924 said:So question:Now the go to spec for chrono is power chrono? is support even viable?

Yes, Arenanet have just decided that the concept of Chronojail should extend to all of instanced PvE and have now created Mesmerjail where the best support option for alacrity and quickness remains Chronomancer, the strongest power DPS (certainly for burst) and possibly for extended fights is Chronomancer and the strongest condition damage option is Mirage.

You won't have many issues playing Chronomancer and finding a role in PvE groups currently.

They could make Chrono's wells "reactivatable" before they end to make them end earlier, but with more interesting ticking effects to make the complete duration more relevant. That would make it more fun to play and also help to be more reactive as a healer (for those who play it).
I also wish the staff and maybe the staff trait could get few tweaks to make them more relevant as support weapons, giving a better feel to full support Chrono (without returning to the state they were before the patch).

@Kilometal.6495 said:While we are on the topic of wells, can we get underwater wells? I know underwater combat is not exactly the focus of the game, but chrono underwater is really underwhelming, especially for support.

Well, now with the SOI nerf, it's basically a non-functional class underwater :-(

Wells are actually really frustrating, not fun, and annoying mechanically. They really should just turn them all into the same thing that Time Warp is. At least that isn't frustrating A.F. to play with.

Archived