PoF Feature Discussion: Gear Identification — Guild Wars 2 Forums

PoF Feature Discussion: Gear Identification

Since the post which garnered so much discussion on the old forum will not be able to be migrated over I am re-starting that discussion here to make sure those voices don't get lost to a forum shift.

So, to ensure this is a productive post I ask that everyone be both respectful of the opinions shared and that those that did some of the heavier math on the subject (if they are so inclined) could please re-share what they discovered/worked out regarding both drops/drop rates and cost benefit to ID-ing loot as opposed to the new system.

Full disclosure: I was not in the camp that enjoyed it, but felt that lowering the cost by half and/or splitting the rarity of the un-identified loot would be the best work around as I understand Anet needs a gold sink.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
Sorrow's Furnace For Life

<1

Comments

  • Yargesh.4965Yargesh.4965 Member ✭✭✭

    I have no issues at all with what I saw in the previews.
    The price is not steep and the drops are not in any way all locked behind an id system.

  • I understand the primary complaints regarding this feature (cost, heart requirement, single color stack). I'm ok with the system as a whole, but it could use some tweaking, I feel, to make it more player friendly.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • Obviously just my opinion regarding the heart necessity: The only reason I didn't hate on this aspect too much is that it gives the hearts a bit more of a reason to not forget them, which may keep more players interacting with the world while on a map, even if its just one heart after the end of a run. Basically keeping some maps from going dead, which is good for new new players to the game.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • This is one thing I didn't try in the demo. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I'd prefer to id everything and salvage what I choose, but that might end up too costly. The possibility of stacking up a large number and maybe vendoring once a week sounds intriguing. Time will tell.

  • LanfearShadowflame.3189LanfearShadowflame.3189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Obviously just my opinion regarding the heart necessity: The only reason I didn't hate on this aspect too much is that it gives the hearts a bit more of a reason to not forget them, which may keep more players interacting with the world while on a map, even if its just one heart after the end of a run. Basically keeping some maps from going dead, which is good for new new players to the game.

    I was fine with that too; however, there are some people that just don't do those things. They do other PvE components, but heart clearing isn't something they enjoy. And I can understand that. If you've done one heart, you've done them all sort of thing. Its the same general feeling with static quests. Granted, it's not hard to complete hearts typically, but we have enough things that make us go out and do hearts (collections, dailies, etc). I'd be ok with them adding a few vendors (1 per map maybe?) that could do the IDing without needing to do a heart. Maybe have them locked behind a story step or stuck in some remote region of the map. Then you have a bit of a trade off that not 'too easy' for either group.

    There are better ways that can bring people back to maps, so they don't appear dead to new people. Ways that typically don't result in players just mobbing whatever the easiest heart in the map is. That doesn't really look good either.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Obviously just my opinion regarding the heart necessity: The only reason I didn't hate on this aspect too much is that it gives the hearts a bit more of a reason to not forget them, which may keep more players interacting with the world while on a map, even if its just one heart after the end of a run. Basically keeping some maps from going dead, which is good for new new players to the game.

    I was fine with that too; however, there are some people that just don't do those things. They do other PvE components, but heart clearing isn't something they enjoy. And I can understand that. If you've done one heart, you've done them all sort of thing. Its the same general feeling with static quests. Granted, it's not hard to complete hearts typically, but we have enough things that make us go out and do hearts (collections, dailies, etc). I'd be ok with them adding a few vendors (1 per map maybe?) that could do the IDing without needing to do a heart. Maybe have them locked behind a story step or stuck in some remote region of the map. Then you have a bit of a trade off that not 'too easy' for either group.

    Very true. Originally when I first heard this was coming back into the game I assumed we were getting a kit similar to the salvage kits that we could use at our leisure that would cost about as much as salvage kits do now.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Obviously just my opinion regarding the heart necessity: The only reason I didn't hate on this aspect too much is that it gives the hearts a bit more of a reason to not forget them, which may keep more players interacting with the world while on a map, even if its just one heart after the end of a run. Basically keeping some maps from going dead, which is good for new new players to the game.

    I was fine with that too; however, there are some people that just don't do those things. They do other PvE components, but heart clearing isn't something they enjoy. And I can understand that. If you've done one heart, you've done them all sort of thing. Its the same general feeling with static quests. Granted, it's not hard to complete hearts typically, but we have enough things that make us go out and do hearts (collections, dailies, etc). I'd be ok with them adding a few vendors (1 per map maybe?) that could do the IDing without needing to do a heart. Maybe have them locked behind a story step or stuck in some remote region of the map. Then you have a bit of a trade off that not 'too easy' for either group.

    Very true. Originally when I first heard this was coming back into the game I assumed we were getting a kit similar to the salvage kits that we could use at our leisure that would cost about as much as salvage kits do now.

    I'd had that thought too. In the original thread, it was one of my suggestions to deal with it being locked behind a heart vendor as well as with cost. Give us another kit we need to purchase and lug around with us. Knock down the price per ID and make it portable, the trade off is you have to replace it every 'x' uses and it takes up inventory space. Just like salvage. People didn't like that either.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The idea is sound, but the implementation needs polish. It fell prey (probably intentionally) to the fallacy of "theoretical value"- we simply don't know if the item is worth anything until its ID'd; but at the same time, the interface makes it extremely easy to salvage all of it (along with potential rares) with the a few habitual clicks. Which brings us to the crux the implementation.... if we separate them by rarity before the ID process, trash tier items have no incentive to identify; and even becomes a waste of coin since it costs money to ID them. While this would streamline the system substantially, the ability to ID low tier items would only be considered "worthwhile" if they tie it to something that forces it.... like collections (which I can see happening, and want to establish right now that its a bad and beyond wasteful of an idea).

    But I can tell you the reason they're doing it this way right now.... its simplified design is to mimic the gambling aspects of loot boxes, but is addressing one minor gripe- opening lots of them. They won't easily give up obfuscating rarity, because its the only way to get the "ID as a gold sink" concept to work with the psychology of GW2 players. Its not the only thing in play.... but its the biggest player facing aspects that will end up making the system feel awkward. After all, the idea of ID scroll (at least as far back as Diablo) was to force you to go back to town to sort out your inventory on a regular basis. Going further back to PnP RPGs, it was supposed to add an element of mystery value to an item.... but unlike PnP RPGs (which award a handful of noteworthy items after major encounters), MMOs typically drop literal mountains of trash loot on a constant basis, and assign value to it via salvage. That critical difference in how we sort through items alters "everything" when you consider the difference in volume between the two implementations.

    In PoF's case, this is unwittingly trying to push the envelope on an already bastardized concept, doing more of the thing it wasn't doing a good job of in the first place. Looking back at Guildwars 1, the relationship to salvage had a lot more intent. Your primary goal was to salvage valuable components from the bulk of things, since common materials weren't of high demand. With rare materials, there was also specific intent, looking for particular items and using more expensive kits for that purpose. In GW2, we salvage EVERYTHING, because the game does a better job of utilizing materials..... but it has a different problem in that the salvage process (like gathering) is the least productive in most cases, and only works on a global scale. Thats why ideas like the Leather farm are fundamentally ludicrous to the game's design, because of the volumes it would have to generate to serve its "intended function" .

  • Shaaba.5672Shaaba.5672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017

    I can't make a true judgement until I've lived with it a bit, but my initial impression was dislike. The heart doesn't bother me, but the cost does. Deciding to ID or salvage - neither choice felt good, no matter which route I took. I was second guessing my decision. Like I said, once I get in there and really live with it a while and see what IDing actually gets me, I might have a different opinion. But your bags still fill with random loot that will drop sigils as you salvage so I'm not sure this is going to help a ton with inventory management. If that was their goal, then rethinking the sigil situation seems a more elegant solution. If it was to reduce the luck drops which are worthless to many players (but not the majority, I'd bet), then addressing the luck situation would be a better solution. And honestly, when I think of IDing stacks at a time, my brain hurts. I just think of all the juggling I will have to do to ID only so many at a time to fit my bag space, salvage, sell off the junk, repeat ad nauseum. I didn't run into that problem in the demo, but I'm not imagining it to be a fun process.

    Since I'm not sure what problem they were trying to address with the unID gear, I'm not sure if it's a good solution.

  • Forgotten Legend.9281Forgotten Legend.9281 Member ✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017

    i wonder if the Salvage Kits will be updated to by default, NOT salvage UNidentified items. and also be given another option in the drop down menu, to salvage UNidentified items, for those who wish to salvage the items without IDENTIFYING them.

    PS: i don't remember from the preview weekend if this suggested feature was implemented or not.

    "Bacon Defeciency DIsorder Sux"
    ~ The Baconnaire

  • @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Since the post which garnered so much discussion on the old forum will not be able to be migrated over I am re-starting that discussion here to make sure those voices don't get lost to a forum shift.

    Considering this is a new forum and the influx of returning players we got with PoF, could someone please explain this new system? I wasn't around for the beta and the older topics about it aren't that easily found anymore.

    How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

  • @starlinvf.1358 mentioned GW1, but only in terms of salvaging items... however, in addition to the salvage kits, we also had to have identification kits because many items were unidentified - especially if they were uncommon or rare. And as others have noted, it's a popular feature in many other games so I can't say I'm surprised we're going that route as well.
    As for the repeating hearts element... personally, I was really hoping that wasn't going to be a thing in PoF. But as I say, that's just my opinion - I personally do not enjoy that sort of repetitive content. I prefer the original dynamic - once I've completed a heart, it stays completed while I move on to a new area.

  • I wasn't keen on repeating hearts either at first... but I have to admit they're growing on me, at least some of them. I don't know if I'd call any of them fun to repeat, but some - like the EB skritt one - are at least easy to do without any higher brain function. Hopefully PoF will have a range of vendors, some that will be easy to complete when you want to Id your stuff.

  • Shaaba.5672Shaaba.5672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017

    @Erasculio.2914 said:
    Considering this is a new forum and the influx of returning players we got with PoF, could someone please explain this new system? I wasn't around for the beta and the older topics about it aren't that easily found anymore.

    One of the complaints people had with the loot system through HoT was that blues and greens drop so often and fill your bags. If you salvage them, your bags get filled with minor sigils, which are vendor trash, but not actual trash to all be auto sold with the 'sell trash' button. And with the Hot type metas, your bags will fill quick and often you're not near a vendor when you're following a quest chain to advance the meta. Also, there are several different bag types that drop, each taking up an inventory slot and give you essentially the same loot, so again, we're talking about inventory clutter.

    In the PoF beta, a new item was introduced - unidentified gear. You have the option to salvage it as is (you get wood, ore, etc, but no sigils and no luck) or take it to a heart merchant to identify it. The cost of doing so is completing that heart, and then paying money (I think a silver and some copper each) to identify it. The arguments from the playerbase for the new system boiled down to convenience, ability to sell/buy on TP (items seems to have a better ID rate the higher your magic find % is). Arguments against it seem to be that the cost is too high monetarily, the fact that we have to do a heart each time we ID is an annoyance, and that there could be rares and exotics hiding in our gear but no guarantee on return for the cost of IDing it. We don't have enough data for drop rates yet, so we're not sure if this will reduce the amount of rares and exotics that drop overall naturally - is the gear supposed to replace some of those drops or supplement it?

    There's probably more, but that's kind of the jist of it as I recall.

  • @Erasculio.2914 said:

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Since the post which garnered so much discussion on the old forum will not be able to be migrated over I am re-starting that discussion here to make sure those voices don't get lost to a forum shift.

    Considering this is a new forum and the influx of returning players we got with PoF, could someone please explain this new system? I wasn't around for the beta and the older topics about it aren't that easily found anymore.

    Yep, as was stated the crux of the issue boiled down to both the cost (1s 68cp) for each item to be identified and having to re-do a heart to even get the things ID'd. The argument against the price is that in all the cost to ID an item usually cost more than the item you ultimately received and so IDing anything amounted to a net loss in gold with the usual added annoyance that came with salvaging low tier loot. The problem of course is that Anet made those unidentified items a new gamble/rng game that might occasionally give you somrthing that wasn't full on junk or might even be needed for a collection, so not identifying them meant not getting those things. Also, if you reflexively salvage all blue/green items as you go, you will salvage those items you might have planned on getting identified.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Obviously just my opinion regarding the heart necessity: The only reason I didn't hate on this aspect too much is that it gives the hearts a bit more of a reason to not forget them, which may keep more players interacting with the world while on a map, even if its just one heart after the end of a run. Basically keeping some maps from going dead, which is good for new new players to the game.

    I was fine with that too; however, there are some people that just don't do those things. They do other PvE components, but heart clearing isn't something they enjoy. And I can understand that. If you've done one heart, you've done them all sort of thing. Its the same general feeling with static quests. Granted, it's not hard to complete hearts typically, but we have enough things that make us go out and do hearts (collections, dailies, etc). I'd be ok with them adding a few vendors (1 per map maybe?) that could do the IDing without needing to do a heart. Maybe have them locked behind a story step or stuck in some remote region of the map. Then you have a bit of a trade off that not 'too easy' for either group.

    Very true. Originally when I first heard this was coming back into the game I assumed we were getting a kit similar to the salvage kits that we could use at our leisure that would cost about as much as salvage kits do now.

    I really do NOT want an ID kit... I don't have to ID things now and I am really not a fan of having to do it. I've made most of my frustrations and irritations with the addition of this known in my previous posts but to recap. My arguments boil down to: The initial maths show that the rate of drops do not match the added expense which means it's a useless gold sink. It will serve as an annoyance for new players who will start with main Tyria and then all of a sudden have to pay gold to for stuff they can get without gold currently and it's added annoyance of doing hearts to ID. The entire system seems to be an attempted call back to GW1 without a care about how the current game SHOULD continue to differ from the old game (ie if you wanted to play gw1 you would be).

    As I've still not heard anything about whether or not Anet is taking this into account, I'm still debating getting a refund.

  • Pixlboy.5296Pixlboy.5296 Member ✭✭✭

    Ok let them implement this new system, we'll see in long run.
    But can somebody answer one question for me? Was it anywhere confirmed that this new system would be adapted to whole game, core and HoT?
    Because if not I don't see the point.

    ♫♪ Who lives in a pineapple under the sea ♪♫
    ♪♫ "Selbbub Squarepants" ♫♪

  • @Pixlboy.5296 said:
    Ok let them implement this new system, we'll see in long run.
    But can somebody answer one question for me? Was it anywhere confirmed that this new system would be adapted to whole game, core and HoT?
    Because if not I don't see the point.

    I don't see them implementing this is core or HoT without also completely revamping the way loot drops on those maps and what those loot tables look like. So far it appears to be a uniquely PoF thing, which is ironically yet another strike against it in some ways.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Terrible in every way, from the rididulous cost to the inconvenience of being forced to redo a heart, to the fact that this is flat-out gambling, which I absolutely loathe. It honestly made me consider skipping the expansion (combined with a few other factors), and I'm still undecided.

    Has anyone done some research on the degree to which this seemed to replace normal drops during the beta weekend and stresstest? I didn't play much then and when I did, it was mainly to run around on the raptor.

  • @Chadramar.8156 said:
    Terrible in every way, from the rididulous cost to the inconvenience of being forced to redo a heart, to the fact that this is flat-out gambling, which I absolutely loathe. It honestly made me consider skipping the expansion (combined with a few other factors), and I'm still undecided.

    Has anyone done some research on the degree to which this seemed to replace normal drops during the beta weekend and stresstest? I didn't play much then and when I did, it was mainly to run around on the raptor.

    I don't remember who it was, but I do remember someone posting a fairly comprehensive numbers breakdown on cost and ROI on the original post in the old forums. I was kind of hoping they still had that info to share here on this thread for anyone that hadn't seen it.

    If I recall, it did work out to a net loss in income, even factoring in the items that drop that were not part of the unidentified loot.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Well... if it's a net loss at least we can tell ourselves that we're truly not playing for the loot but for the fun of it.. I guess.... :/

  • @Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:
    Well... if it's a net loss at least we can tell ourselves that we're truly not playing for the loot but for the fun of it.. I guess.... :/

    Yeah, thats my problem here. The whole idea of loot for running around is that its supposed to feel rewarding to get it. Imagine playing in a table top game of DnD and you get 200 gold and 3 unidentified pieces of armor from a chest, go to wizard that charges you 250 gold to ID the stuff and it turns out to only sell for 195 gold.

    Thats how I felt when I went to ID things during the beta weekend.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Shaaba.5672Shaaba.5672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

    And to confuse the issue, apparently magic find plays a role, so that is another number we have to take into account when people do their research. So even if Joe runs the numbers and does the research and declares that it's a net loss - we have to know if his MF is maxed or not. Maybe it's a net gain at a certain break even point, so that means more research ... blah. Not that it's a problem to make complex systems like that in the game (lucky envelopes is a good example), but complexity for complexity's sake in a core feature seems out of place. If we boost our MF while IDing do we get better returns?

    And I am assuming that the people who say MF plays a role in your results from IDing are right. I'm not sure where the info came from, but it's been talked about like it's fact, so I'm rolling with it.

  • I do like the ID system sense it does save on inventory space, but don't like that you might have to complete a heart every day (might have a special vendor you can get through achieves to id) the price might have to be looked at to. Sense pof isn't even out yet might not be as bad as we all think :)

  • @Shaaba.5672 said:
    And to confuse the issue, apparently magic find plays a role, so that is another number we have to take into account when people do their research. So even if Joe runs the numbers and does the research and declares that it's a net loss - we have to know if his MF is maxed or not. Maybe it's a net gain at a certain break even point, so that means more research ... blah. Not that it's a problem to make complex systems like that in the game (lucky envelopes is a good example), but complexity for complexity's sake in a core feature seems out of place. If we boost our MF while IDing do we get better returns?

    And I am assuming that the people who say MF plays a role in your results from IDing are right. I'm not sure where the info came from, but it's been talked about like it's fact, so I'm rolling with it.

    And here's the problem as well. Let's say that for the sake of argument these two statements are true: a) magic find at max makes a big enough difference on RNG and b) you have an account with max magic find. This means that you will have better drops from those ID bags than others. Fine. But there will also be TONS of new players boosting to 80 and going to PoF maps with little to no magic find and with WAY less money, so the identification process is still unnecessarily punishing to new players that want to "jump right in" to this content.

    Now, that being said, I have played semi-casually with bouts of more than casual play here and there since BWE1 and my MF is not even maxed out. And I have fairly aggressively eaten tons of colorful poof balls of energy over the years. Ultimately I don't think MF is going to be playing that big of a role in the RNG here and even if it did, I still don't like RNG built into such a basic feature that I have to pay for. I don't gamble at casinos for a good reason.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Chadramar.8156Chadramar.8156 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

    @Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:
    Well... if it's a net loss at least we can tell ourselves that we're truly not playing for the loot but for the fun of it.. I guess.... :/

    I do play "for the fun of it", mostly. I am probably one of the least gear-motivated people out there, I do not find gear "rewarding" or "fun" in any way shape or form, and in fact I loathe gear-obsession, gear-grinding, playing inventory tetris, or other gear-focused aspects of "gameplay" which to me are empty pointless padding. (The only exception is when I, very rarely, really love something for the looks of it and the way it suits the "theme" of a given character.) I'd be overjoyed with a gear-free game, or one that is almost gear-free, which is one reason why Bioware's old Jade Empire will always have a fond place in my memory.

    And I still loathe this new system because, if anything, it doesn't remove the nuisance of having to juggle oodles of garbage but adds more layers of annoyance. Plus there's the gambling aspect, which is a rotten can of worms in and of itself that shouldn't be overlooked. At least people who want to gamble on Black Lion keys or ectoplasm have to go out of their way to do so. This nonsense is going to be shoved in people's faces every moment they spend in PoF content.

  • Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

    And here's the problem as well. Let's say that for the sake of argument these two statements are true: a) magic find at max makes a big enough difference on RNG and b) you have an account with max magic find. This means that you will have better drops from those ID bags than others. Fine. But there will also be TONS of new players boosting to 80 and going to PoF maps with little to no magic find and with WAY less money, so the identification process is still unnecessarily punishing to new players that want to "jump right in" to this content.

    Now, that being said, I have played semi-casually with bouts of more than casual play here and there since BWE1 and my MF is not even maxed out. And I have fairly aggressively eaten tons of colorful kitten kitten of energy over the years. Ultimately I don't think MF is going to be playing that big of a role in the RNG here and even if it did, I still don't like RNG built into such a basic feature that I have to pay for. I don't gamble at casinos for a good reason.

    So if I'm getting this right, without significant Magic Find, you're worse off identifying, but you can't get luck essences from salvaging the things without identifying first... Seems like it's punishing new players.

    As for myself... I set up a mule earlier this year to open lucky envelopes with as much Magic Find I could muster, hitting just over 800%. I guess I might want to keep keep that going.

  • There is nothing - absolutely NOTHING about this new ID system that makes my gaming experience more enjoyable. Sure, it only qualifies as a minor annoyance, but you'd think they'd work on things to make it better, not worse. My wager is that this implementation was their solution for the folks who have problems with inventory space leaving those of us who have no issues with more hoops to jump through.

    Make a setting to disable it and go with the existing loot method.

    And for the love of all the gods (real or imagined) DO NOT PUT THIS FEATURE IN WVW!

  • The King of Dust.7925The King of Dust.7925 Member ✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017

    Put me in the camp of the people who absolutely abhor the gear identification system as it was in the previews.

    However, with some (pretty major) changes, I think it could work.

    The first and most important change : A piece of unidentified gear should be of "rare" quality and when identified should gives rares or better (exotics, maybe ascended when the planets align). Drop rates of unidentified gear should be adjusted accordingly.

    Most of the drops that would have been "green" or lower drops should be replaced by a stackable salvageable item of green quality that gives random materials obtainable through salvaging and has no other purpose than to be salvaged. Since not everyone is necessarily going to want to salvage them, it should have a very low vendor value of a few coppers at most so you can sell them in bulk at merchants if you want to.

    Because let's face it, anyone going through POF has absolutely no use for green gear.

    Cost of identification can be kept as is or even increased, since you'd be guaranteed to at least get a rare out of it. The gold sink is still there. And since you're not getting regular green gear drops anymore and the replacement has little value when sold to the merchant, you greatly reduce the amount of "new" gold that can be generated through selling drops.

    This also fixes the problem of salvaging potential rares when choosing to salvage all masterwork items or lower.

    Finally we really shouldn't have to redo a heart to identify gear. Give us ID kits with the proper price/use ratio or create an NPC who's always available for identification.

    If these changes were implemented, I'd personally be happy with the system.

    Edit: Apologies if anyone posted the same thing before. I read a few posts in the thread, but not the whole thing.

  • OK, so from looking at the TP it would seem as though they did the whole breaking it out by rarity thing that was suggested. For those that have been in there, was the price for IDing the stuff altered or is that still at the 1s 68cp price point?

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭

    I thought when you ID-ed stuff you had a chance on better loot? More yellows and such? If this is not true, then this is the worst system ever implemented. I have NEVER had any problems with my inventory. Just take a few seconds to salvage, send stuff to the bank and sell runes.

    Now I have to do a heart and pay a price for ID-ing? Not sure why not more people are picking up the pitchforks over this.

  • @Tyncale.1629 said:
    I thought when you ID-ed stuff you had a chance on better loot? More yellows and such? If this is not true, then this is the worst system ever implemented. I have NEVER had any problems with my inventory. Just take a few seconds to salvage, send stuff to the bank and sell runes.

    Now I have to do a heart and pay a price for ID-ing? Not sure why not more people are picking up the pitchforks over this.

    there was a huge post on the old forums about it. Then it went away with the new forums right before launch.

    Read into that what you will.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • From what I've seen, the unidentified gear has rarity classes. Which solves the biggest complaint with it. Right now, I can't imagine a single counterargument. It keeps the inventory clean and still doesn't hinder you in getting your rares and exotics. In fact, I want this system to be backported to old maps. I also want it to work with all the loot bags. Its a major QOL improvement.

  • @green plum.7514 said:
    From what I've seen, the unidentified gear has rarity classes. Which solves the biggest complaint with it. Right now, I can't imagine a single counterargument. It keeps the inventory clean and still doesn't hinder you in getting your rares and exotics. In fact, I want this system to be backported to old maps. I also want it to work with all the loot bags. Its a major QOL improvement.

    Aaaaaaaaabsolutely not.

    Anet can keep their gold sink in the desert. It has no place in the core game. I never had this inventory issue with decent sized bags and I have no value add on something that destroys my ROI on my game time. If i end up earning less because of IDing things, that's still a huge problem and a deal breaker for me. Hence why I asked if the cost was the same as it was over beta weekend test.

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017

    I think the cost of identifying is a little weird, especially since it's more expensive than the selling price of most of those gear pieces. Otherwise, I think it's an improvement, and it doesn't cost to salvage.

  • I just clicked on the unidentified stuff in my inventory and it turned into items, no cost....

  • Wait, is there a cost? I just clicked on things. I never noticed any price.

  • @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Aaaaaaaaabsolutely not.

    Anet can keep their gold sink in the desert. It has no place in the core game. I never had this inventory issue with decent sized bags and I have no value add on something that destroys my ROI on my game time. If i end up earning less because of IDing things, that's still a huge problem and a deal breaker for me. Hence why I asked if the cost was the same as it was over beta weekend test.

    Gold sink how? You need green items at your level? Having to buy expensive bags is much more of a gold sink than occasionally spending few silvers to ID an exotic piece...

  • OK, so now, once again from those that played it: It sounds like they eliminated the cost to ID the items? Is that what I'm understanding? No more need to go to a heart and pay for the ID?

    Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

  • notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    OK, so now, once again from those that played it: It sounds like they eliminated the cost to ID the items? Is that what I'm understanding? No more need to go to a heart and pay for the ID?

    As someone above posted, it appears as though there is no cost. I stared at my silver and opened several and it never budged.

    I'd be inclined to salvage them all personally, but I'd like to know if there is a chance of getting any new skins through them?

    In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

  • Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017

    I was worried about something exclusive being tied to this unidentified gear stuff. But it's worse than I thought.

    When unlocking the Soulbeast elite specialization for my ranger, it unlocked a collection achievement for it. (Achievements>Collections>Specialization Collections) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fang_of_Mokèlé_(achievement)

    One of the items needed is a dagger called 'Darehk's Quick End'. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Darehk's_Quick_End The tooltip for it in the achievement says "Hint: Found when identifying gear, or purchased from the Black Lion Trading Post.". At this time there are 4 Darehk's Quick End in the trading post, at about 97.5 gold for the cheapest and 100 gold 50 silver for most expensive.

    I guess there is an actual reason to identify the gear. :/

  • Thanks Anet for breaking down unid gear by rarity and allowing us to identify from anywhere by double-clicking. Much appreciated. I'm happy not to have to deal with dozens of green sigils and runes accumulating in my inventory anymore.

    And salvaging unid gear now also gives essences of luck. There's basically no real downside to this now.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Thank for listening ANET about the separation of gear by rarity, its much appreciated. As well as the ID from anywhere system.

    Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.