PoF Feature Discussion: Gear Identification - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

PoF Feature Discussion: Gear Identification

2>

Comments

• @Daddicus.6128 said:
    I won't be buying PoF until this "feature" is fixed (removed or made more granular).

• Vladish.3940Vladish.3940 Member ✭✭✭

Personally the only thing I hate about is the price. I am a casual gamer and I rarely if ever have over 2g on me. I need it for repairs and salvaging. I don't have time to play trading board games or to spend hours just farming, basically forcing me to always salvage then unidentified items, and thus never ave chance for the said rares. I get that some "committed" players may found ways to make loads of gold, but I think there are better ways to have a gold sink in game without essentially excluding casual gamers that don't have hours upon hours on hand to spend on these money-generating activities. They already have this new card game implemented, that serves as gold sink, things along those lines are imho better idea than excluding people from possible gear.

• @Charrbeque.8729 said:
    I was worried about something exclusive being tied to this unidentified gear stuff. But it's worse than I thought.

When unlocking the Soulbeast elite specialization for my ranger, it unlocked a collection achievement for it. (Achievements>Collections>Specialization Collections) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fang_of_Mokèlé_(achievement)

One of the items needed is a dagger called 'Darehk's Quick End'. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Darehk's_Quick_End The tooltip for it in the achievement says "Hint: Found when identifying gear, or purchased from the Black Lion Trading Post.". At this time there are 4 Darehk's Quick End in the trading post, at about 97.5 gold for the cheapest and 100 gold 50 silver for most expensive.

I guess there is an actual reason to identify the gear. :/

Yes, but by the looks of things you just have to doubleclick the unidentified item to ID it, so there's that. Probably best to only use the TP as a last resort in a few months of the game being played for some time and for the market to equalize.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• @Vladish.3940 said:
    Personally the only thing I hate about is the price. I am a casual gamer and I rarely if ever have over 2g on me. I need it for repairs and salvaging. I don't have time to play trading board games or to spend hours just farming, basically forcing me to always salvage then unidentified items, and thus never ave chance for the said rares. I get that some "committed" players may found ways to make loads of gold, but I think there are better ways to have a gold sink in game without essentially excluding casual gamers that don't have hours upon hours on hand to spend on these money-generating activities. They already have this new card game implemented, that serves as gold sink, things along those lines are imho better idea than excluding people from possible gear.

OK, so...not sure if you read the other posts so far in the thread, but people have already stated that there is no cost associated with it currently, so Anet listened.

As for why they didn't advertise this fact is beyond me as so many people stated that this was a big sticking point, and saying that they did away with it before launch would have gone a long way to people buying the xpac. Seems more like a missed opportunity for Anet.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• @Chadramar.8156 said:
    I was very pleasantly surprised to see the different rarities, as well as the tooltip just saying "doubleclick to identify" with no mention of a price or renown heart requirement. Actually I'm surprised that the devs did not announce this change, because it's a great case of listening to the playerbase. So cheers, Anet! This is so much better.

Tooltip also indicates it benefits from account magic find. =)

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017

@Shaaba.5672 said:

And I am assuming that the people who say MF plays a role in your results from IDing are right. I'm not sure where the info came from, but it's been talked about like it's fact, so I'm rolling with it.

Wanze, aka Rude Asura, did a serious amount of research on the impact of MF during BETA and posted on the forums. Short story:

• MF matters.
    • It's enough that it's possible, perhaps even likely, that low MF accounts selling unID gear will see a net gain, especially given the reduced amount of time spent managing inventory.
    • Similarly, accounts with high MF are likely to find it worth purchasing unID gear off the TP and find that to be a net gain.

However, all that research was done during BETA. Details have changed already and I doubt very much if the drop tables have remained the same. i.e. our mileage will vary.

edit: adding research link: https://redd.it/6tidl8

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• I don't think you're quite up to date with the game:

@Vladish.3940 said:
    Personally the only thing I hate about is the price. I am a casual gamer and I rarely if ever have over 2g on me.

If you do your dailies, that's an easy 2g everyday... instant doubling of your wealth. That was introduced a couple of years ago.

I need it for repairs and salvaging.

Repairs don't cost anything. That was removed a few years ago.

I don't have time to play trading board games or to spend hours just farming, basically forcing me to always salvage then unidentified items, and thus never ave chance for the said rares.

The unidentified gear is separated by rarity and doesn't cost anything to identify... that has been confirm by the posters just prior to your post.

• ANet has addressed my issues with this system, needing to go somewhere to ID and needing to pay to ID. I'm happy.

As to why did they not announce the changes? Well, for me listening was enough, and no doubt the last month has been a bit hectic for them.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

OK, so...not sure if you read the other posts so far in the thread, but people have already stated that there is no cost associated with it currently, so Anet listened.

As for why they didn't advertise this fact is beyond me as so many people stated that this was a big sticking point, and saying that they did away with it before launch would have gone a long way to people buying the xpac. Seems more like a missed opportunity for Anet.

Aye you are right, I haven't noticed that until I just checked it myself, so my bad on contrivbuting to the confusion.

@onevstheworld.2419 said:
    I don't think you're quite up to date with the game:

@Vladish.3940 said:
    Personally the only thing I hate about is the price. I am a casual gamer and I rarely if ever have over 2g on me.

If you do your dailies, that's an easy 2g everyday... instant doubling of your wealth. That was introduced a couple of years ago.

I need it for repairs and salvaging.

Repairs don't cost anything. That was removed a few years ago.

I don't have time to play trading board games or to spend hours just farming, basically forcing me to always salvage then unidentified items, and thus never ave chance for the said rares.

The unidentified gear is separated by rarity and doesn't cost anything to identify... that has been confirm by the posters just prior to your post.

I don't do dailies, as I have limited time to play the game. When I am online, I play stories of my characters, look at different paths and differences in paths (like the orders in prologue, etc.), since that is what is fun to me, grinding same things on daily basis is a job, and no one pays me to play the game. I am casual who plays for fun, not to work, and for people like me there is little gold to be had.

I wasn't aware of repairs being free now (I did take 2 year break since HoT and just came back for PoF, so thanks for that info); none the less, I guess I lose all my profit to salvaging then, which still keeps me under 2g on average (with occasional rare spikes in either way if I find something good for sale on TP, or run out of money to even salvage what I find).

And yes, as I mentioned before, I haven't noticed the Un-id stuff change before release, so that was my bad, and once again, sorry for adding to confusion.

• The gear doesn't seem to be separated by rarity to me. I got blues, greens, rares and an exotic out of one green-bordered stack.

• @GreyWolf.8670 said:
    The gear doesn't seem to be separated by rarity to me. I got blues, greens, rares and an exotic out of one green-bordered stack.

I think each one gives a baseline, though I have not paid close attention to confirm that.

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017

Instead of random gear clogging up our inventory, we get unidentified items that stack and have rarity. I like this. I think we can all chill out now.

Heck, out of the very first 2 rare quality unidentified items, 1 gave me an exotic chest armor.

Basically the way it works is it saves inventory space so you can carry a whole lot more before running out of room. There seems to be no cost involved at all for the items. Just double-click to get a random item matching the rarity of the unidentified gear (or higher rarity), or just straight up salvage them.

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Charrbeque.8729 said:
    Instead of random gear clogging up our inventory, we get unidentified items that stack and have rarity. I like this. I think we can all chill out now.

Heck, out of the very first 2 rare quality unidentified items, 1 gave me an exotic chest armor.

Basically the way it works is it saves inventory space so you can carry a whole lot more before running out of room. There seems to be no cost involved at all for the items. Just double-click to get a random item matching the rarity of the unidentified gear (or higher rarity), or just straight up salvage them.

Now why couldn't they just have TOLD us that before launch?

I do like how much space it saves, but it still feels odd since there are actual items still dropping randomly. I mean, the Un-id item stacks are beneficial, but then why keep actual un-id items still dropping? Nonetheless, the extra space in bags it has provided is noticeable, so thank you Anet.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm really glad they removed the cost and the need to go to a heart NPC to identify these. I feel like we're left with all of the benefits (more inventory space) with none of the negatives.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    I'm really glad they removed the cost and the need to go to a heart NPC to identify these. I feel like we're left with all of the benefits (more inventory space) with none of the negatives.

Agree with this, if we had to go to a heart NPC (especially if we had to redo one everyday), and it cost, then I'd have been quite unhappy at the system. But as it is we just get to save inventory space. Though I would still prefer the system if green bundles didn't have the potential to contain rare and exotics. Would be nice if we got yellow bundles separate, and those contained the rares & potential exotics.

With blue bundles do they only drop blues, or can they still contain rares too? At the moment I just open everything to be on the safe side.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@The King of Dust.7925 said:
    Thanks Anet for breaking down unid gear by rarity and allowing us to identify from anywhere by double-clicking. Much appreciated. I'm happy not to have to deal with dozens of green sigils and runes accumulating in my inventory anymore.

And salvaging unid gear now also gives essences of luck. There's basically no real downside to this now.

Yes I second this post Thanks alot for listening taking away the cost and breaking up by rarity.
    Just out of curiousity anyone found exotic unided gear?

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@killermanjaro.5670 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

Agree with this, if we had to go to a heart NPC (especially if we had to redo one everyday), and it cost, then I'd have been quite unhappy at the system. But as it is we just get to save inventory space. Though I would still prefer the system if green bundles didn't have the potential to contain rare and exotics. Would be nice if we got yellow bundles separate, and those contained the rares & potential exotics.

With blue bundles do they only drop blues, or can they still contain rares too? At the moment I just open everything to be on the safe side.

Well just as a yellow bundle can upgrade to exotic then aint it just good that green can upgrade aswell?

• Drarnor Kunoram.5180Drarnor Kunoram.5180 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017

@killermanjaro.5670 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

I've gotten a rare out of my blue UnI'D, but that's one out of hundreds. It also happened with ~400% magic find.

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• @Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:
    I've gotten a rare out of my blue UnI'D, but that's one out of hundreds. It also happened with ~400% magic find.

See this thread:
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/5547/research-different-salvage-kits-for-unidentified-gear-and-magic-find-for-iding

Out of 10 stacks (2500 blue unID), @Wanze.8410 found >100 rares with ~300% MF and >170 with just under 600% MF. (Also 12 & 19 exotics, respectively.)

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

2>
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.