Anybody else see this: keystrokes randomly stop working?

I'm seeing a problem where every once in a while (maybe one in ten), keystrokes are simply ignored. But, it only happens in combat or moving. The mouse still works normally.

Once in a while, like tonight, it stops working almost completely. No keystrokes are accepted except maybe one in a hundred.

But, the keyboard works perfectly in all other applications, and even in Guild Wars 2 for chats and submitting in-game tickets. I tried all the same keystrokes, and not one of them failed. But, just a minute or two earlier, I had to drop out of a fractal because I was useless to the team.

Is anybody else seeing anything like this?

(Yes, I submitted a ticket, but I'm gathering information here.)

@Daddicus.6128 said:I'm seeing a problem where every once in a while (maybe one in ten), keystrokes are simply ignored. But, it only happens in combat or moving. The mouse still works normally.

Could be a problem with your motherboard's controller (in which case it's a hardware issue) or a driver issue (if your keyboard has a driver, I suggest re-installing it).

Support asked me to clear my PC's DNS resolver cache. I did it Monday morning, and I haven't seen any instances of the problem since then. I'm going to wait 3-4 more days to be safe, but I think this one is solved.

However, I'll post again if it starts failing again (and purging DNS doesn't solve it). I'll also post again in a few days, when I close the support ticket (assuming it doesn't fail again).

Thanks!

Try this fix (given to me by ANet customer service):

• Bring up a Command Prompt (command shell, or CMD) window as administrator. To bring up a Command Prompt window, click the Start button and type "cmd".
  • If you are an administrator on the PC with the account you are logged in to, just click "Command Prompt" and skip the next step.
  • If not an administrator, right-click the "Command Prompt" line on the Start menu. Then, choose "Run as administrator."
  • In the "Command Prompt" window, type:

ipconfig /flushdns

I know what flushing the DNS resolver cache does, but I can't figure out how that would affect Guild Wars. I've asked the support team. If they give me an answer, I'll update this thread.

If this works (or not), please reply again.

Oh, it's easy. I gave a step-by-step. The only tricky part is whether you're an admin. If you don't know, do the third bullet instead of the second.

The only tricky part about the command is that there is a space between "ipconfig" and "/flushdns". I should add that you hit enter after typing "ipconfig /flushdns", and click the X to close the window when it's done (5 seconds or less, I suspect).

Well, I'm still getting the one-off characters being ignored (still at about 1 in 10 keystrokes). I haven't seen any of the full-on "you might as well quit" mode where practically no keys work (for game control, that is -- they work perfectly for anything else.) Of course, the full-on variant only happened maybe once a month or so, so I can't know for sure.

Archived