Being contacted by GM in game chat.

I was reading some of the post in this forum and have a question to people who understand rules better than me.

1. How I am to recognize that a person talking to me is a legit GM from ArenaNet?
  2. As contact is made by in game chat, does that mean I am forced to read all the spam on chat because GM can talk to me?
  3. I am normally on guild chat (no active users) and do not pay attention to people that send private messages, unless I started discussion. So I understand that not answering to some random people can get you banned?

Disclaimer: I never have been banned, but I have no idea if I was contacted by GM ever once as I do not pay attention.

If you are not doing anything against the EULA, there would be little reason for a GM to contact you.You can tell a GM's chat from others by the color, and the name; it will always have 'GM' at the front. No player names can have GM in their name, nor can they have two capital letters together.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Support_Team#Identifying_a_GM_in-gamehttps://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/10-mins-commanding-FR-zerg-and-being-reported/page/1#post4333888

Good luck.

GM's and other ArenaNet employees often are clearly marked with a red (partial) ArenaNet logo. Both besides their names and in the mail. If you get messages without these markings they the result of players who are trying to troll you.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/en/uploads/forum_attachment/file/40818/gw008.jpg

There also may be unmarked GM's for surveillance reasons. But these should not message nor mail you from these unmarked accounts.

@"Sir Grzegorz.7518" said:I was reading some of the post in this forum and have a question to people who understand rules better than me.

1. How I am to recognize that a person talking to me is a legit GM from ArenaNet?
  2. As contact is made by in game chat, does that mean I am forced to read all the spam on chat because GM can talk to me?
  3. I am normally on guild chat (no active users) and do not pay attention to people that send private messages, unless I started discussion. So I understand that not answering to some random people can get you banned?

Disclaimer: I never have been banned, but I have no idea if I was contacted by GM ever once as I do not pay attention.

1. The color text of their messages is yellow.
  2. I think you will get his message even if you disabled map/say chat.
  3. Maybe, if those "random people" were GMs" (they have recognizable names), to be sure just scroll up your chat history when you come back of your afk time, it will be easy to notice a yellow text.

However they won't normally contact you, the most common way for that is being suspected of something illecit like afk farming so if you don't do anything like that you won't risk anything.

Even when you are being checked for afk, they never said that "GM interaction" is equivalent to "A GM will message you".I have been checked for being afk several times while lazy-farming with my necro without being afk and not once did I actually get an ingame message. They have numerous ways to "interact with you" without having to send you a message in chat. One of them is teleporting you and check for your reaction to this happening.

They have the AreaNet emblem close to their name, but you won't be able to recognize them from the chat, as their name appears like everyone else in chat (though you must trust me on this because I decided to cover the name...)EDIT: btw, in case you are thinking that he/she might have used some special power during that match... nope, we badly lost :smiley:

Archived