GW2 pvp in a nutshell

cursE.1794

Imagine a 5vs5 Counter Strike match. Sometimes it can become a bit confusing and frantic (when the terrorists storm onto a spot) but overall, it's a very tactical, clear and skill based game. This is Guild Wars 2 pvp after release.

Now imagine a public server with 32 players, 16vs16 on fy_poolday and every player has an ak-47, wallhack and aimbot. This is what Guild Wars 2 pvp is now. It's simply unplayable.

I personally subscribe to the opening post analogy. Though it doesn't tell the whole story, like Spellbreakers surviving atomic bombs.

@Lan.1968 said:You know if everyone has exactly the same things, including hacks, that would still result in a balanced environment right? Do you even know the logic of your own reference?Isn't it like those people saying: « if everything is OP nothing is » ? Well I beg to differ:The game is going to a point where everything can one shot with a graze but it will be considered "balanced" because everyone will also be invulnerable 95% of the time.It looks like the "balance" team prefers to buff everything to the strongest spec and slowly kill the game patch after patch rather than nerf everything because it's unpopular.

Enjoy maximum power creep.

@Ara.4569 said:I personally subscribe to the opening post analogy. Though it doesn't tell the whole story, like Spellbreakers surviving atomic bombs.

@Lan.1968 said:You know if everyone has exactly the same things, including hacks, that would still result in a balanced environment right? Do you even know the logic of your own reference?Isn't it like those people saying: « if everything is OP nothing is » ? Well I beg to differ:The game is going to a point where everything can one shot with a graze but it will be considered "balanced" because everyone will also be invulnerable 95% of the time.It looks like the "balance" team prefers to buff everything to the strongest spec and slowly kill the game patch after patch rather than nerf everything because it's unpopular.

Your entire statement contradicts itself. If popular changes are more power to strong specs, then that would not kill the game at all. Not to mention there are always complaints of "overpowered" or "underpowered" in game changes on every game, and they're generally stemmed from people finding difficulty in adapting to those changes than the actual understanding of said changes itself. People complained the most about class and champion changes in League, but that doesn't somehow destroy the game itself because players learned to play around whatever changes come their way. Learn the meta, not reject it.

@Ara.4569 said:I personally subscribe to the opening post analogy. Though it doesn't tell the whole story, like Spellbreakers surviving atomic bombs.

This guy gets it :)

@Lan.1968 said:You know if everyone has exactly the same things, including hacks, that would still result in a balanced environment right? Do you even know the logic of your own reference?

This guy doesn't :(

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:You know if everyone has exactly the same things, including hacks, that would still result in a balanced environment right? Do you even know the logic of your own reference?

and this guy got offended so he decided to add nothing to the discussion at hand, but feel he needs to voice his opinion regardless.

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

and this guy got offended so he decided to add nothing to the discussion at hand, but feel he needs to voice his opinion regardless.

Well I knew that if you make a reference that isn't idiot-proof there would first be a discussion of what was meant and what not so I confirmed that Ara nailed it, making it NOW clear for everyone. If you disagree with the actual point I made feel free to post your opinion, now that you fully understood that this thread is NOT about balance.

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

Well I knew that if you make a reference that isn't idiot-proof there would first be a discussion of what was meant and what not so I confirmed that Ara nailed it, making it NOW clear for everyone. If you disagree with the actual point I made feel free to post your opinion, now that you fully understood that this thread is NOT about balance.

It is almost as though you did not see my counter argument to what he/she said, almost as though you're purposely denying the fact that such a counter argument is possible since you're more content to believe whatever you think or feel is always right.

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

It is almost as though you did not see my counter argument to what he/she said, almost as though you're purposely denying the fact that such a counter argument is possible since you're more content to believe whatever you think or feel is always right.

Hahaha I'm laughing so hard! You made assumption that start post was about balance, but if you dig your head off from your a r s e, you see he didnt say anything about balance. He said IT IS UNPLAYABLE. And he's right.

So get off your high horse. You ain't making counter argument when you talk about different things than he is.

@MachineManXX.9746 said:"IT IS UNPLAYABLE" .... Yet, people are playing. Weird.

The rewards are just too good. The rewards are the only thing, stopping the last string from snapping. If not for the overpowered PvE rewards in sPvP. How many of us would actually bother with this game mode. I'd say maybe less then %20 of current sPvP population.

sPvP has just turned in a glorified PvE farm through players killing each other.

-Matches have huge gaps in balance between the two teams.-Condi damage has pretty much took the PvP scene.(Passive Damage)-Some classes have the ability to completely deny a whole point for a extended period of time.-Hardcounters exist-Very unbalanced. (Some specs are just given god tiered power. While others are basically just weak fillers, that very few will actually play.)-Forced Condi META-Forced to PUG with players who don't care one bit about winning. (This in turns make more players adopt this mentality. More so after try harding and leaving matches with almost if not all top stats and least amount of deaths, while still getting hit with the -14. Because your teammates in mass don't care to regroup instead just continuously feed the meat grinder at mid which then snowballs the match.)-Players still not being punished for trolling and or throwing matches, match after match.

I could go on. But honestly with PoF release ANet has clearly hard pushed for condition builds(passive damage) to just flatout be better then power builds(active damage). I mean look at classes like Necromancer and Guardian. Those two classes can 100 to 0 others in mere seconds with Condition Builds, with no wind up. Yet I have not seen a single power based build, even come close to the burst that condi builds have this expansion.(DE require time to ramp up it's one shot. And has more counters than most condi builds atm.)

TL:DR In my eyes.... GW2's PvP in a nutshell is..... Pseudo-competitive PvE reward farm central, with no control of team, and a non existent punishment system for those who purposely ruin the experience for others.

@Mutaatti.2789 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

Hahaha I'm laughing so hard! You made assumption that start post was about balance, but if you dig your head off from your a r s e, you see he didnt say anything about balance. He said IT IS UNPLAYABLE. And he's right.

So get off your high horse. You ain't making counter argument when you talk about different things than he is.

making a statement without a premise to back it up is pretty much the same as saying nothing at all. op's claim that the game is "literally unplayable" would be subjective to his own point of view, but the balance structure would not have changed when both teams are given the same mechanics. had op not been talking about balance in an exaggerated fashion, his reference wouldn't have (and quite honestly didn't do so well) related to class imbalance in GW2 or the current state of the game.

Next time, learn to not get offended and think of something to add to the discussion before running your mouth.

@Lan.1968 said:

@Mutaatti.2789 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

making a statement without a premise to back it up is pretty much the same as saying nothing at all. op's claim that the game is "literally unplayable" would be subjective to his own point of view, but the balance structure would not have changed when both teams are given the same mechanics. had op not been talking about balance in an exaggerated fashion, his reference wouldn't have (and quite honestly didn't do so well) related to class imbalance in GW2 or the current state of the game.

Next time, learn to not get offended and think of something to add to the discussion before running your mouth.

Well, lets make a game where everyone has only knife. One hit and you're out. That's unplayable. Why? Because some people have faster connections, reflexes etc. So most of people would find game unplayable because small % of people would dominate it.

And eventually everyone would leave game.

As a very experience player that has played in ESL, all ToLs, TOGs, Mistpedias, and places 3/4th every mAT. I 100% agree with OP. sPvP is in a very bad state right now. The pvp lobby is ugly, all the builds do too much damage, which made anet put bandaid traits/passives that carry bad players.. Ranked duo Q only is a very bad idea, basicly made every regular pvper without tournament exp a brainless rotator. 99% of the pvp population does not understand matchups, rotations.

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:

The rewards are just too good. The rewards are the only thing, stopping the last string from snapping. If not for the overpowered PvE rewards in sPvP. How many of us would actually bother with this game mode. I'd say maybe less then %20 of current sPvP population.

sPvP has just turned in a glorified PvE farm through players killing each other.

-Matches have huge gaps in balance between the two teams.-Condi damage has pretty much took the PvP scene.(Passive Damage)-Some classes have the ability to completely deny a whole point for a extended period of time.-Hardcounters exist-Very unbalanced. (Some specs are just given god tiered power. While others are basically just weak fillers, that very few will actually play.)-Forced Condi META-Forced to PUG with players who don't care one bit about winning. (This in turns make more players adopt this mentality. More so after try harding and leaving matches with almost if not all top stats and least amount of deaths, while still getting hit with the -14. Because your teammates in mass don't care to regroup instead just continuously feed the meat grinder at mid which then snowballs the match.)-Players still not being punished for trolling and or throwing matches, match after match.

I could go on. But honestly with PoF release ANet has clearly hard pushed for condition builds(passive damage) to just flatout be better then power builds(active damage). I mean look at classes like Necromancer and Guardian. Those two classes can 100 to 0 others in mere seconds with Condition Builds, with no wind up. Yet I have not seen a single power based build, even come close to the burst that condi builds have this expansion.(DE require time to ramp up it's one shot. And has more counters than most condi builds atm.)

TL:DR
In my eyes.... GW2's PvP in a nutshell is..... Pseudo-competitive PvE reward farm central, with no control of team, and a non existent punishment system for those who purposely ruin the experience for others.

This pretty much sums it up.

Welcome to condition wars 2. Funny how i got hit with a penalty from the modz just for making a post telling the truth pre PoF. All i said was "The exp wont improve pvp at all but make it worse". For some reason they have a hard on for conditions in gw2 and condi spam. currently in pvp they have forced everyone and their mother to play condi builds because that's the only viable thing. Condi wars 2 now lets any one who buys PoF win PvP matches not by skill but just straight and utter spam wars.

Ranked pvp is just garbage now and has been for 4 seasons All the bots, trash toxic players, f2p people, match manipulators, and afk pve reward hunters que up in raanked. No thank you I'll stick to my unranked while the trash plays trash for pve rewards and "titles" lol.

@Mutaatti.2789 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@Mutaatti.2789 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@cursE.1794 said:

Well, lets make a game where everyone has only knife. One hit and you're out. That's unplayable. Why? Because some people have faster connections, reflexes etc. So most of people would find game unplayable because small % of people would dominate it.

And eventually everyone would leave game.

Here's the issue: people would not blame the game for their loss since the players understood the game structure the moment they logged in to play the game, but rather blame their own internet as the sole reason for their loss. Custom games of one-shot deathmatches are made in CS back in the day, and even on games like Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch where players love to play in a more tense situation where everything is do or die. To play CS:GO where everyone has aimbots would actually meant the players actually enjoyed such activities, so they're be contradicting themselves for playing it in the first place. The reason why OP's reference don't correlate with what he is arguing for is because the point of the reference would be about preference, but OP wants to argue for balance but failed to execute his opinion properly.

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:

TL:DR
In my eyes.... GW2's PvP in a nutshell is..... Pseudo-competitive PvE reward farm central, with no control of team, and a non existent punishment system for those who purposely ruin the experience for others.

yep, im only playing it to get ascended gear. once the season ends i just stop playing. or if they make it easier to get ascended gear in other game modes.

I wouldnt say its unplayable but and i am not a platinum player (low gold rank), but i can see some pretty glaring flaws in spvp. There are times i have fun , and then there are times i get pretty frustrated. I think part of the problem is , im not sure arenanets plan to fix it, or if and when they do? I know the world of warcraft team can communicate and its pvp currently is hot garbage, but i would like to know if they also see the problems and are working on something.

@timetopat.7921 said:(...) im not sure arenanets plan to fix it, or if and when they do? I know the world of warcraft team can communicate and its pvp currently is hot garbage, but i would like to know if they also see the problems and are working on something.There's no community manager for this part of the forum, and as far as I can remember, there never was. Guild Wars 2 is nothing like the first: only PvE matters. People were fooled by their tournaments, even ESL was. But it was just marketing to get more players.

For PvP, they only apply band-aids and shallow changes once in a blue moon. Nothing has been done to shave the first massive power creep wave that the new trait system was, nor the 2nd with HoT elite specs. With this 3rd massive wave, sPvP is on the verge of extinction. And all we can expect is bigger band-aids. Because, now, the amount of work required to sanitize sPvP is too much for a "balance team" of amateurs to handle.

Also, the fact that they never wanted to split skills for each game mode is that PvP is for PvE players to have another Keg Brawl-like side activity so they don't get bored and stay in game longer to buy more gems. Splitting too many skills and traits would just work against that goal by frustrating the kind of player they want to keep.

Got 7-3 in my qualify games got plat 2 since then i haven't played ranked and I'm down to silver i think. Gets old after having no say in some games where it's a sure win but the pugs added to your team are either riding the short bus or just don't care due to free rewards for afk / match manipulation. Ranked isn't worth the time of day, leader board is a joke and so is monthly.

Archived