Help picking a support profession — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Help picking a support profession

So the last time I played druid was pretty much the go to option if you wanted to play support but it seems the support specs are a bit more balanced since then. I've always been pretty casual with the game but WoW being the dumpster fire that it is right now, I wanted to try to use this time to get back into GW2 and a bit more seriously. At some point I would like to do raids and fractals but I need to work on my gear. However I'd like to decide on a "main" first. I know the game is alt friendly and all that but I want to focus on one for now and learn it as best as I can before I jump into playing other professions.

So right now I'm playing my ranger but I'm mostly getting caught up on the story and then I want to work on ascended gearing. I like ranger but at the same time I kind of hate managing a pet. I've never been a fan of elementalist so that's not even an option for me, not even a fan of the elite specs. I am interested in Firebrand as all the utility it brings kind of reminds me of my paladin in WoW. The other profession I'm really interested in is Revenant. I wasn't aware that it had a support spec until recently but it looks pretty interesting.

TLDR is it possible anyone can give me the pros and cons of druid, whatever the support line for revenant is, and firebrand? I'm not huge into PvP or WvW so this is from a instanced PvE and open world perspective. Everything I look up is mostly from months ago or 2017 so I'm pretty sure it's outdated lol. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018

@novas.1845 said:
    TLDR is it possible anyone can give me the pros and cons of druid, whatever the support line for revenant is, and firebrand? I'm not huge into PvP or WvW so this is from a instanced PvE and open world perspective. Everything I look up is mostly from months ago or 2017 so I'm pretty sure it's outdated lol. Thank you! :)

Druid is fairly easy to get the hang of, it's one of the best support specializations in the game and is good at keeping offensive boons on allies active the majority of time. The downside is that it's a support specialization, so don't expect to deal a lot of damage.

Renegade can be considered a descent replacement for chronomancer. It offers some offensive boons, but the only boons that are worthwhile for the group are might and alacrity. It's fairly lackluster compared to chronomancer, but if your group just happens to not have a chronomancer (which rarely happens), I guess it's worth running a renegade in your team.

Firebrand is a good example of a hybrid support specialization. It has good healing, it offers mostly defensive boons like protection and regeneration, but also has some offensive boons like quickness and fury. It has been slightly nerfed in the Wintersday patch, but the overall healing and boon application is still in tact.

Check out the builds here and see if they suit your preferences:

https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/ranger/druid/healing/
    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/revenant/renegade/support/
    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/guardian/firebrand/support/

• Thank you! I'll take a look at those links. :)

• I feel like support engi is so underrated. Their condi cleanse and boon conversion is on a level the other support classes can only hope to achieve.

• Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018

@TheJmandude.1548 said:
    I feel like support engi is so underrated. Their condi cleanse and boon conversion is on a level the other support classes can only hope to achieve.

I really enjoy playing support scrapper even in fractals and raids. It is a viable option for a support specialization, but considering that it involves using kits and the amount of options when it comes to healing and/or cleansing, let's just say that OP will be spending a lot of time practicing. And I mean A LOT of time practicing.

• @novas.1845 said:
    So the last time I played druid was pretty much the go to option if you wanted to play support but it seems the support specs are a bit more balanced since then. I've always been pretty casual with the game but WoW being the dumpster fire that it is right now, I wanted to try to use this time to get back into GW2 and a bit more seriously. At some point I would like to do raids and fractals but I need to work on my gear. However I'd like to decide on a "main" first. I know the game is alt friendly and all that but I want to focus on one for now and learn it as best as I can before I jump into playing other professions.

So right now I'm playing my ranger but I'm mostly getting caught up on the story and then I want to work on ascended gearing. I like ranger but at the same time I kind of hate managing a pet. I've never been a fan of elementalist so that's not even an option for me, not even a fan of the elite specs. I am interested in Firebrand as all the utility it brings kind of reminds me of my paladin in WoW. The other profession I'm really interested in is Revenant. I wasn't aware that it had a support spec until recently but it looks pretty interesting.

Of the support options listed I have a bit of experience with FB and support Rev.
    Will start with support Rev:
    Ventari rev has the highest pure heals in the game. It's an intense burst heal, solid projectile hate, a lot of on-demand condi cleanse and massive breakbar damage thanks to Staff 5. It does however rely on the tablet to work it's goodness and the way people jump around in instanced content (t1-3 fractal pugs mainly) does not always play nice with the tablet. People spend a lot of time dodging away from your heals and kiting to avoid lethal blows. The positioning of the tablet can be very frustrating.
    The main problem with the focus on flat out healing is that a large number of mechanics in the game cannot be mitigated with just green numbers.
    Where I found Ventari Rev most useful is large groups like Desert Bounties or Metas. I also found it super useful in dungeons carrying newbies.
    Firebrand:
    I am currently in deep love with FB. It's a solid healer (if you want) but also brings more to the table in terms of boons and utility. Your team doesn't need to be nearly as tightly stacked to be effective. The tomes are straight up OP when compared to most other support classes.
    Mainly FB gives (in addition to a ton of other great stuff) access to massive amounts of Aegis and Retal. Being able to block the hits your team is going to take or mitigate the knockback that makes mainy fractals so punishing with stability makes even the least expeirenced pug team slay like pros.
    FB is a hard carry, few support builds come close.
    Others?
    While you mentioned you won't play Ele, Heal Tempest is pretty much busted right now, and I highly reccomend it. It's second only to Firebrand for support/heals.
    And Scourge.
    If you are looking for something fun and different for all around support, Scourge offers really solid healing, a little might generation and barrier.

From the sounds of your post I would recommend you probably try Firebrand. There isnt a stronger all around support option right now.
    But if you are big into large events and zerg support, say for metas, bounties or world bosses ect, Ventari Rev is fun too.

• Sigfodr.9576Sigfodr.9576 Member ✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018

If you are not in a hurry, then just take your time and enjoy the game. You mention that you are doing living story etc atm. This is not really a place for a support/heal build anyway as these more or less only have a use in high end fractals and raids.

For raids the latest balance patch have still not resulted in a real meta. So far, both druid (ranger), firbrand (guardian), renegate (revenent) and herald (also revenent) seem to be good and to be able to see alot of high end playtime. So what is the difference between them and when will you want to bring one over another:

Druid: Bring ok healing, 10 man fury, 10 man might, 10 man vigor, spirits for extra damage and really good cc (creep control to break breakbar). When is a druid less usefull? if the group already have 1 druid, then there is little use for another. Or if the group have a soulbeast (ranger dps) then this one can do same of the druids jobs and therefore lovering the value of bringing a druid. There is a high chance (imo) that we will continue to see alot of druids.

Firebrand: support FB have 2 "main" builds, a 90% dps build that provide quickness and some aegis spam. The big selling point for this build is that it can do really good damage while also providing 6-8 people with quickness. Allowing the group to drop 1 or even 2 chronos to get even more dps'ers.
    The other support FB build is a tank/heal or only heal build. This one focus on even more quickness, insane aegi spam, really good healing (alot better then druid), 10 man fury, really good cc, and a fair bit of might. All this at the cost of doing no damage by itself. Biggest downside, works best in a group where you also have a renegate.

Renegate: heal build that do really good healing. 10 man alacrity (in combo with a FB it allow your group to drop the 2*chrono + 1 of the "normal" healers and have more healing, more alacrity and 1 extra spot for another dps at the cost of a tiny bit of quickness). pretty good cc. Good proc uptime for 10 man. and a few damage buffs for the dps'ers. Biggest downside, works best in a group where you also have a firebrand.

Herald: The strongest healer in the game, just the passive heal is 1200-1500 pr. sec to eash of the 10 man group (without you even using any skills). Pretty good cc, 10 man fury, 10 man swiftness, about 12 stacks of might to 10 man (about 50% of what you need), high proc uptime on 10 man. close to enough alacrity for 5-6 man. Biggest probblem, often you dont need all that healing, and since you dont bring enough alacrity for 10 man you still need a chrono for group 2, that said it is a really strong healer for some places (and some groups).

Small extra thing: heal renegate, heal revenent and heal firebrand all use heavy gear (armor/tinkets) with the same stats and same runes. So besides the weapons you can make 1 sett of gear and swap between all 3 depending on what you fell like playing and what your group need.

a few builds to give inspration:
    Druid: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBmOD7keVoTFsZFwVFgoFsYIYOvuYXPAerGWLrMBg1VDoEvHH-jxBCQBKV3w9eCAWZ/Bqq+zYVC6VlfA4iAQKA/mZB-e
    Firebrand: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse5OnsADFBjFCBEEhlHCLr9MfyA7zz8ZAFLA0A+AA-jxhXQBIU5H90P0Qlg+T9Hd9EAAw+Dh6kAQKA/WpB-e
    Renegate: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAW8snXMnNSumzJRZzNlst5oSY38UJ4bOskFNlqdACgGYNJmiq4PIPymE-jxhXQBNUJYouIAAY/BEq8TXPBA6pbwfq/QKA/WAA-e
    Herald: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAW8sn3gmNSuQzJRboNlsP0oS4I6UJ4ENskFNFatJTpKtDIANwOgH8hA-jxhXQBAY/hGqEUXPBA6pbIUXEAEq8zfq/IKA/C-e

• I really wanted to like engineer but I got her to 80 (through leveling the old fashioned way too) and I just didn't like the class. Wasn't a fan of the turrets.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! Sigfodr made a really good point about rev and guardian sharing the same gear type so I think I might focus on one of those two for now and see where that goes. :3

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget Mesmer

• @Anchoku.8142 said:
    Don't forget Mesmer

To my understanding, isn't mesmer more of a tanky/buffing type support? That's not the kind of support role I'm looking for. I generally play healers in other mmos and I'm looking for something more similar to that than a buffer. Iirc Ranger and Rev are usually brought for their buffs but can do decent healing output correct?

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭

@novas.1845 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:
    Don't forget Mesmer

To my understanding, isn't mesmer more of a tanky/buffing type support? That's not the kind of support role I'm looking for. I generally play healers in other mmos and I'm looking for something more similar to that than a buffer. Iirc Ranger and Rev are usually brought for their buffs but can do decent healing output correct?

Heal if you like. However, playing support for heal or buffs is much the same: watch timers and buff AoE on as many as you can. Then watch timers again.

Healers heal after a big AoE.
    Scourge heals before a big AoE
    Chrono provides alacrity ASAP

• @Anchoku.8142 said:

@novas.1845 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:
    Don't forget Mesmer

Heal if you like. However, playing support for heal or buffs is much the same: watch timers and buff AoE on as many as you can. Then watch timers again.

Healers heal after a big AoE.
    Scourge heals before a big AoE
    Chrono provides alacrity ASAP

Yup and the support I like to play is the kind that heal after the damage hits. So chrono doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. Thank you though!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.