25,000 griffons!

• ArenaNet Staff

I love to play a game and not know exactly where the journey is taking me or what I’ll find along the way. I think many of you feel the same way, and you’ve been great at spoiler-tagging your posts to preserve that sense of discovery for other players.

With Path of Fire we left griffons unannounced so that players could discover them. We watched with excitement this past weekend as the community pieced together the path and the first players unlocked their griffons.

Since Saturday night when the first 349 players acquired their griffons, the number of griffons in the world has grown exponentially with each passing day. We hit a milestone today: 25,000 of you now have your griffons. You’re out there in the skies over the major cities showing off your new mounts. With 25,000 griffons flying around, I think it’s safe to say that the griffon is no longer a spoiler.

It’s been fun to see your videos of griffon aerobatics in various places in the world. Now that the griffon is no longer a spoiler, unleash your creativity! Let’s see what you can do.

Mo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have a griffon spotlight in an upcoming live stream then please?

I feel kinda bad that the devs didn't get to talk about this mount during mount week. Besides it is a lot more than just the mount, I mean the instance where you get to go back to the place of one of major story moments is also cool. Not to mention the fact that you can even find a familiar face there if you go looking.

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:I love to play a game and not know exactly where the journey is taking me or what I’ll find along the way. I think many of you feel the same way, and you’ve been great at spoiler-tagging your posts to preserve that sense of discovery for other players.

With Path of Fire we left griffons unannounced so that players could discover them. We watched with excitement this past weekend as the community pieced together the path and the first players unlocked their griffons.

Since Saturday night when the first 349 players acquired their griffons, the number of griffons in the world has grown exponentially with each passing day. We hit a milestone today: 25,000 of you now have your griffons. You’re out there in the skies over the major cities showing off your new mounts. With 25,000 griffons flying around, I think it’s safe to say that the griffon is no longer a spoiler.

It’s been fun to see your videos of griffon aerobatics in various places in the world. Now that the griffon is no longer a spoiler, unleash your creativity! Let’s see what you can do.

Mo

So I kind of feel like we all need umbrellas now! :)

Wooow...that's a lot of gold removed from the game. It was the perfect amount, hefty enough to take a nice chunk of gold out of players hands but not too hefty to push a lot of people away from getting it. I love my griffon and happily forked over the gold for him. Love the model and love the mechanics, you can use him simply as a expanded glider or you can try to be clever and really pull some neat things with his abilities.

@etsubmariner.4690 said:How much did that make Anet in gem transactions, I wonder.

If you are referring to the 250g price tag, that actually is not that much gold, especially when you can get it in 25g chunks over time.

So only the most hasty people that didn't have any materials or laurels to liquidate (likely only brand new players) would have seen the need to resort to transferring gems to gold. Either way, it is probably literally impossible to tell, as expansion alone, coupled with recent gem store updates will make the exchange fluctuate, even a rough estimate would be useless.

I know Anet likes to track a lot of things in their game, but I highly doubt even they know, it is unlikely that they would have flagged gold originating from the exchange at the level of individual purchases of random vendor items.

@Cyprien.4208 said:Nothing is really a secret by time something released or even before everyone already knows about it. It's the one good or bad thing about the internet.

I think that is bit of an over generalization, f.ex., sure I knew about the griffon on a very superficial level (because leaks), however, I merely assumed it had been cut or held back because of one reason or another. Frankly I was too busy playing to even remember the thing until much later after release. When someone mentioned the griffon in our guild chat at first I was sure they were joking (the leaks weren't exactly at the forefront of my mind at that moment).

There is a huge difference between it being officially announced pre-release and it just existing as a leak somewhere on the internet.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

Since Saturday night when the first 349 players
acquired their griffons
raced through the content.

:)

Race through it on the first character to get masteries and griffon out of the way, then do it slow on alts to really enjoy it after you've gotten most of the necessary grind dealt with. Sounds good to me! As one of the 25,000 (as of last night), I'm excited to go back through everything so I can enjoy it without the frustration of not being able to make that one jump or not being able to take any of the sand portals.

Archived