Glyphs for all Infinite Gathering Tools

jwaz.1908

Seeing that the last three infinite gathering tools (Thunderstrike harvester, Flame Storm logger, and the Shifting Sands mining pick) all came with glyphs, wouldn't it make sense for all other infinite gathering tools get some sort of glyph as well, especially since they're all 1000 gems a piece. Thoughts? Am I just being greedy? I just feel like the other infinite gathering tools aren't work it anymore, even if they have nice effects.

Do you mean giving glyphs to existing ones? As in, the ones players bought? If so, yes you are being greedy... I own the first comming of Infinite tools and I don't feel I need Anet to give me those glyphs (Which I only have the free one I received mind you).

You can still buy those glyphs of trading post with gold anyway so I don't see a big deal.

@Jeknar.6184 said:Do you mean giving glyphs to existing ones? As in, the ones players bought? If so, yes you are being greedy... I own the first comming of Infinite tools and I don't feel I need Anet to give me those glyphs (Which I only have the free one I received mind you).

You can still buy those glyphs of trading post with gold anyway so I don't see a big deal.

I purchased all of the first infinite tools as well when they were first released, so what? I'm not necessarily saying that we should be given glyphs for past purchases (though that would be nice), but since they've changed the standard, they should add glyphs to all infinite tools currently on the gem store. And yes I know they can be purchased with gold, however they're all VERY expensive, at least for me.

@jwaz.1908 said:Seeing that the last three infinite gathering tools (Thunderstrike harvester, Flame Storm logger, and the Shifting Sands mining pick) all came with glyphs, wouldn't it make sense for all other infinite gathering tools get some sort of glyph as well, especially since they're all 1000 gems a piece. Thoughts? Am I just being greedy? I just feel like the other infinite gathering tools aren't work it anymore, even if they have nice effects.

I think it's a mistake to insist that things have to be nearly identical to be sensible. It's not a crazy idea, but it comes with substantive additional consequences: adding a glyph to e.g. the Fused set means that either original owners feeling punished for buying early (if they don't get the glyph retroactively) or a sudden drop in demand for the glyph (because ANet just handed 1000s and 1000s of bound glyphs away for 'free'). That doesn't seem worth the headache.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@jwaz.1908 said:Seeing that the last three infinite gathering tools (Thunderstrike harvester, Flame Storm logger, and the Shifting Sands mining pick) all came with glyphs, wouldn't it make sense for all other infinite gathering tools get some sort of glyph as well, especially since they're all 1000 gems a piece. Thoughts? Am I just being greedy? I just feel like the other infinite gathering tools aren't work it anymore, even if they have nice effects.

I think it's a mistake to insist that things have to be nearly identical to be sensible. It's not a crazy idea, but it comes with substantive additional consequences: adding a glyph to e.g. the Fused set means that either original owners feeling punished for buying early (if they don't get the glyph retroactively) or a sudden drop in demand for the glyph (because ANet just handed 1000s and 1000s of bound glyphs away for 'free'). That doesn't seem worth the headache.

It's not a matter of making all gathering tools identical, it's a matter of making them consistent. Perhaps they could re-market the old ones into bundles (fused bundle, cosmic bundle, etc...) so you get all 3 tools for a discount, say 2500 gems, and continue to sell individual tools with glyphs for 1000 gems a piece.

@jwaz.1908 said:It's not a matter of making all gathering tools identical, it's a matter of making them consistent. Perhaps they could re-market the old ones into bundles (fused bundle, cosmic bundle, etc...) so you get all 3 tools for a discount, say 2500 gems, and continue to sell individual tools with glyphs for 1000 gems a piece.

I think it's a mistake to insist that things have to be consistent. It's not a crazy idea, but it comes with substantive additional consequences: adding a glyph to e.g. the Fused set means that either original owners feeling punished for buying early (if they don't get the glyph retroactively) or a sudden drop in demand for the glyph.

I'm not at all against the idea; I'm not against ANet offering bundles for a discount. I just can't imagine it's worth the headache for ANet to make it work.

Tools without glyphs are somewhat less valuable than those that come with one included. Who would get new tools now without a glyph if they simply want an unbreakable tool rather than the skin (with the exception of unbound magic set and fused/consortium sickle because they offer innate speed advantages)? Some glyphs are more valuable than others too, like leatherworker and industry in which the glyphs alone are worth more than the skin+account bound glyph taking gold into gems into account. I think it makes sense for either all newly bought tools to come with a glyph included or maybe no tools should get free glyphs excepting the premium sets like unbound/volatile magic tools and the watchwork pick which has been around for ages. Keeping it the way it is right now means nobody would be interested in glyph-less gathering tools unless they are drastically discounted. The included glyph would be another differentiating factor on which tool to get though.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm not at all against the idea; I'm not against ANet offering bundles for a discount. I just can't imagine it's worth the headache for ANet to make it work.

I don't believe it would be that big of an Inconvienance since they've already implemented systems that handle swapping one item for another, such as the vendor who trades the watchwork pick for the newer version.

@jwaz.1908 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm not at all against the idea; I'm not against ANet offering bundles for a discount. I just can't imagine it's worth the headache for ANet to make it work.

I don't believe it would be that big of an Inconvienance since they've already implemented systems that handle swapping one item for another, such as the vendor who trades the watchwork pick for the newer version.

The headache isn't in the mechanics; those already exist. It's not in the pricing; there's already precedent for discounts and bundles.

It's in the fact that some already own the skins. ANet would need to address whether these people would get glyphs or not. If they do, it undermines demand for the glyphs (and potentially other tools). If they don't, then they have a bunch of grumpy players. And there's precedent for this, too, but it's not a no-brainer|zero-effort endeavor. So the business decision has to weigh how pleased people might be if they change an old item, how annoyed some people might be, and whether this will or won't tend to generate more gem sales. It's all doable, sure. But it's more than a little trouble for less than a little benefit.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

The headache isn't in the mechanics; those already exist. It's not in the pricing; there's already precedent for discounts and bundles.

It's in the fact that some already own the skins. ANet would need to address whether these people would get glyphs or not. If they do, it undermines demand for the glyphs (and potentially other tools). If they don't, then they have a bunch of grumpy players. And there's precedent for this, too, but it's not a no-brainer|zero-effort endeavor. So the business decision has to weigh how pleased people might be if they change an old item, how annoyed some people might be, and whether this will or won't tend to generate more gem sales. It's all doable, sure. But it's more than a little trouble for less than a little benefit.

Could always make new glyphs, maybe more work but in my view consistency -is- worth some extra effort.

Archived