Gem store takes away fun .

Okay, let's say Anet listened, and gets rid of the gem store. How then do you recommend they fund the game moving forward? What's your solution to the problem of paying staff, rent, utilities? They'd have to up their income since the entire payment model is based on box sales and cash shop sales.

Should they go subscription? If they did how would that hurt people now who play this game because it's free to play? Should they offer an optional subscription?

It's very nice to ask for stuff you want. But when asking for a change creates a problem, you should probably include possible solutions, because the way it's phrased, what you're asking for can't be done.

You play the game -> earn Gold -> convert it to Gems = it's literally the same thing what you want: items "obtained and farmed in game". Be glad we can convert Gold to Gems, not many MMOs allow this. Anet is already generous AF, they are losing tons of money by allowing us to buy Gem Store stuff with Gold that can be farmed with minimum effort in the open world.

@Vayne.8563 said:Okay, let's say Anet listened, and gets rid of the gem store. How then do you recommend they fund the game moving forward? What's your solution to the problem of paying staff, rent, utilities? They'd have to up their income since the entire payment model is based on box sales and cash shop sales.

Should they go subscription? If they did how would that hurt people now who play this game because it's free to play? Should they offer an optional subscription?

It's very nice to ask for stuff you want. But when asking for a change creates a problem, you should probably include possible solutions, because the way it's phrased, what you're asking for can't be done.

I am absolutely on your side here, but the OP has a point as well.

People want to play a video game and not a Gem Store.A very huge part of upgrades and changes go to the Gem Store and very little to the video game.This creates a natural conflict of interests. People who play a video game couldn't care less where the money comes from.The people who create the game couldn't care less about the content. It's just the medium that keeps the people clicking into the Gem Store.This is the state of the situation since day 1.

This is only my observation and i don't have a real solution but GW1 prooved to be a good one.The game had very very little ingame economy. And the Gem Store was marginal at best. The only thing they sold were character slots and such.Then real money maker was the gaming content like the addons. From my perspective the people were more happy this way.Those days there wasn't a single post about the Gem Store in the forums. Actually people were asking to add more stuff to the Gem Store when ithink about it.

So yeah. I guess if A-Net would focus a little bit more on playable content and less about features or fashion people would be more willing to investin the gem store. Of course i am aware this needs a completely new approach to the game and requires flexibility and creativity, areas A-Net didn't exactly shine in GW2These are just my 2 cents

@Kurrilino.2706 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Okay, let's say Anet listened, and gets rid of the gem store. How then do you recommend they fund the game moving forward? What's your solution to the problem of paying staff, rent, utilities? They'd have to up their income since the entire payment model is based on box sales and cash shop sales.

People want to play a video game and not a Gem Store.A very huge part of upgrades and changes go to the Gem Store and very little to the video game.This creates a natural conflict of interests. People who play a video game couldn't care less where the money comes from.The people who create the game couldn't care less about the content. It's just the medium that keeps the people clicking into the Gem Store.This is the state of the situation since day 1.

This is only my observation and i don't have a real solution but GW1 prooved to be a good one.The game had very very little ingame economy. And the Gem Store was marginal at best. The only thing they sold were character slots and such.Then real money maker was the gaming content like the addons. From my perspective the people were more happy this way.These days there wasn't a single post about the Gem Store in the forums. Actually people were asking to add more stuff to the Gem Store when ithink about it.

So yeah. I guess if A-Net would focus a little bit more on playable content and less about features or fashion people would be more willing to investin the gem store. Of course i am aware this needs a completely new approach to the game and requires flexibility and creativity, areas A-Net didn't exactly shine in GW2These are just my 2 cents

They also sold outfits, skill unlocks, makeover kits, mercenary slots(allowed your heroes to be filled with your own characters), and if i recall bank tabs for the Xunlai Chests.

Compared to the armour obtainable by traditional means, there are not that many gem store sets.

I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.

EDIT 16/12/2018: To support my point, I checked the Wiki and found that only seven sets are available via the Gem Store. The rest are obtainable traditionally.

2nd EDIT 16/12/2018: I wanted to respond to Kurrilino.2706's point on the "very very little ingame economy" in the original Guild Wars. The economy was, at peak, massive. It was simply done via individual player trading instead of via an auction house/trading post. Those that traded regularly, myself included, were very much aware of the original game's economy worked.

@"Dante.1763" said:They also sold outfits, skill unlocks, makeover kits, mercenary slots(allowed your heroes to be filled with your own characters), and if i recall bank tabs for the Xunlai Chests.

I stopped playing GW1 around 2010/2011, but I can't recall skill unlocks being sold. Did the "hero slots" and character makeover really cost RL money, not in-game currency? I don't recall, it's been so long...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:They also sold outfits, skill unlocks, makeover kits, mercenary slots(allowed your heroes to be filled with your own characters), and if i recall bank tabs for the Xunlai Chests.

I stopped playing GW1 around 2010/2011, but I can't recall skill unlocks being sold. Did the "hero slots" and character makeover really cost RL money, not in-game currency? I don't recall, it's been so long...

Oh yes. Heres a complete list of stuff and their prices.

Mercenary Hero Slot ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99), Mercenary Hero Three Pack ($19.99 / €14.99 / £12.99) and Mercenary Hero Complete Pack ($44.99 / €34.99 / £29.99)Makeover Pack and Extreme Makeover Credit ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99 each)Character Name Change ($14.99 / €12.99 / £9.99 each)Xunlai Storage Pane ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99 each, up to 41 slots can be purchased this way)1Promotional Storage Pane from Fourth Anniversary does not counts towards this total.Pet Unlock Pack ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99)Guild Wars Bonus Mission Pack ($9.99 / €8.99 / £5.99)Extra character slots ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99 each, up to 262 slots can be purchased this way)2Additional character slot from Pre-Order Nightfall Bonus Key does not count towards this total.Prophecies Game of the Year Upgrade ($4.99 / €4.99 / £3.99) (North America)Guild Wars 2008 Upgrade ($4.99 / £3.99)Skill Unlock Packs ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99 each)PvP Access Kit ($19.99 / €17.99 / £13.99)PvP Item Unlock Pack ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99)Costumes    Vision of Lyssa ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Augur of Kormir ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Ravenheart Witchwear ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Vale Wraith ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Dragonguard ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Aegis of Unity ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Disciple of Melandru ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Agent of Balthazar ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Wedding Couple Attire ($9.99 / €8.99 / £6.99)    Formal Attire ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Dapper Tuxedo ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Mad King's Court Costume ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Lich Costume ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    White Mantle Disguise ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Shining Blade Uniform ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Dwayna Costume ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)    Grenth Costume ($6.99 / €5.99 / £4.99)

@Kurrilino.2706 said:

This is only my observation and i don't have a real solution but GW1 prooved to be a good one.The game had very very little ingame economy. And the Gem Store was marginal at best. The only thing they sold were character slots and such.Then real money maker was the gaming content like the addons. From my perspective the people were more happy this way.Those days there wasn't a single post about the Gem Store in the forums. Actually people were asking to add more stuff to the Gem Store when ithink about it.

So your solution is to stop putting so many optional upgrades and cosmetics in the gem store and instead charge us for living story releases?

That would be repeating the GW1 model, because as well as fewer upgrades and cosmetics in the cash shop it had almost no free content upgrades. Until they stopped actively working on GW1 to make GW2 there was only one 'big' free release I remember: when Sorrow's Furnace was added. Other than that it was small additions like Nicholas the Traveller. Everything else was added as part of expansions which were released at least once a year and cost the same as the base game. After they stopped most developed GW:Beyond happened, which was short storylines in existing maps released for free, but I suspect that's partially because they knew it'd be hard to sell an expansion having told everyone the game would be abandoned soon.

I love GW1 but I prefer the GW2 model and part of the reason for that is it actually costs me less and it's up to me when I spend it. I can play everything in the game without buying anything from the gem store, and as long as I log in periodically to get it I get a huge chunk of the new content for free, but if I want the extras I can buy them...or save up gold and get them for free too.

Presumably the OP prefers the subscription model along with paying for the Living Story episodes. My preference is for optional cosmetics in the gem store that allows the game to not require a subscription and allows people to get the Living Story for free. So while it would be nice to have all cosmetics in game it’s not necessarily the best option.

I'm all for free stuff, but at some point it just comes off as greedy. This is one of those moments. Unless OP about to shell out through other means, money needs to be made. And in all honesty, given all that we already have in game as is. The method in which they are complaining about is more then fine as is. You already have ways to get gems through in game means. Game already has so much in it as is.

Of all companies/situations to complain about, this honestly ain't it.

Archived