Where to start at 80?

Scorpyo.6783

Hello, all,

All right, I'm a very, very new player. I leveled a revenant to 80 and then I used my boost to boost two other characters to 80.

I went to the first possible quest to get my mount. But now, I'm confused. Do I have to go through Heart of Thorns before going to Path of Fire or can I jump to Path of fire?

The 80 I leveled myself doesn't look like she can survive long in Path of Fire. But what about the instant 80 who seem to be much better geared? Or do I send one on Heart of Thorns and the others to Path of Fire? Or... What's the best move, here?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Scorpyo

If you care about story continuity, you should do HoT before PoF. Even better if you have LS2, to do before HoT.If not, it’s up to you. You’ll get a Raptor after finishing the first part of PoF story.You can buy a set of Exotic Berserker stat armor from the trading post for about 10g if you feel you need a gear upgrade on the non boosted character.

Heart of Thorns content is even harder than Path of Fire content in my experience so far.

You can buy exotic armor fairly cheap off the Auction House as HaleyDawn mentioned. Make sure to coordinate the stats for best effect. If you want some builds to up your power output a bit, Metabattle has a list of "Open World" builds for each class you probably ought to try out here:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World

Generally, at level 80, I like to make sure I have all the waypoints near the World Bosses unlocked, all the waypoints near known dungeons and focus on getting dailies done for the gold bonuses. If you find you're dying too much in the Heart of Thorns maps or Path of Fire maps, try messing around in the Silverwastes for a while. The enemies there are tougher than those found in Orr or Frostgorge Sound, but they aren't on the level of one-shotting your character if you screw up the mechanics of fighting them like the HoT or PoF enemies. Silverwastes is a good place to practice your build and fighting style.

@Scorpyo.6783 said:Hello, all,

All right, I'm a very, very new player. I leveled a revenant to 80 and then I used my boost to boost two other characters to 80.

I went to the first possible quest to get my mount. But now, I'm confused. Do I have to go through Heart of Thorns before going to Path of Fire or can I jump to Path of fire?

The 80 I leveled myself doesn't look like she can survive long in Path of Fire. But what about the instant 80 who seem to be much better geared? Or do I send one on Heart of Thorns and the others to Path of Fire? Or... What's the best move, here?

Regards,

Scorpyo

I wonder what your two other characters’ professions are.

Basically I think you are just missing on play style and maybe some right open world build. Try metabattle

For example I solo conpleted POF storyline with a weaver dps but tweaked to use two elemental gysps and a rock dog from runes of Ogre. They are like pets to ranger and minion to necro and they will pull aggro. Of course i need to be good with dodge and know what dps skills to pull at the right time. Can be done. and you get a good player base on weekends

you can try other activities like fractals and winter days.. all fun as well

Welcome to GW2!

@Scorpyo.6783 said:I went to the first possible quest to get my mount. But now, I'm confused. Do I have to go through Heart of Thorns before going to Path of Fire or can I jump to Path of fire?

You can swap freely between story content that is repeatable (everything past vanilla) and play wildly everything when ever you want. If you want proper continuity though, you should stick to the order content was released (vanilla -> LWS2 -> HoT -> LWS3 -> PoF -> LWS4).

One possible goal would be to gather enough gold to buy all living world episodes and get all the story done first.

@Scorpyo.6783 said:

That depends a lot on what class and what gear you are using. It is highly likely though that you are simply lacking the correct build and experience to deal with enemies as new player. I would try to pick a class of your liking and stick with it to fully grasp it and get better at it. Following classes will benefit from your increased game knowledge.

Classes which are quite easy to play: warrior, ranger, revenant (to some extent, less build flexible due to how it is designed), guardian and necromancer.

Your first step should be: set yourself some goals.

Good first time goals are:

• finish all story
  • finish your build and elite specialization
  • complete a set amount of gear quality (all exotic is a good start) with proper stats
  • complete the elite specialization weapon of your class
  • finish specific achievements (Bioluminescent achievement is quite long, will grant you a lot of gold on the way and 1 ascended armor piece of choice, pick the breastplate)
  • world completion (make sure to have mastery points available for core Tyria to unlock masteries while doing this)
  • complete all dungeons
  • complete all the HoT map metas
  • try out WvW
  • try out Spvp

and tons more. GW2 is not a strictly tied to a gear loop as many other MMOs (there is one, but it works very differently here). As such it is important to dive in and figure out what you want from the game, how to get it and there, then setup goals to follow.

I would also recommend finding a guild. People are usually very keep on helping out and grouping up for things like dungeons, fractals, story, etc.

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:If you care about story continuity, you should do HoT before PoF. Even better if you have LS2, to do before HoT.If not, it’s up to you. You’ll get a Raptor after finishing the first part of PoF story.You can buy a set of Exotic Berserker stat armor from the trading post for about 10g if you feel you need a gear upgrade on the non boosted character.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Just a little question: What is "LS2"?

Thank you for the link! Looks very, very interesting.

Generally, at level 80, I like to make sure I have all the waypoints near the World Bosses unlocked, all the waypoints near known dungeons and focus on getting dailies done for the gold bonuses. If you find you're dying too much in the Heart of Thorns maps or Path of Fire maps, try messing around in the Silverwastes for a while. The enemies there are tougher than those found in Orr or Frostgorge Sound, but they aren't on the level of one-shotting your character if you screw up the mechanics of fighting them like the HoT or PoF enemies. Silverwastes is a good place to practice your build and fighting style.

Okay. Thank you very much

@alchemist.6851 said:I wonder what your two other characters’ professions are.

I've made nine characters. One of each profession so I could test them all a bit to see which I was most comfortable with. Also because I'm an altoholic and I like PvP so I like to know the mechanisms, strength and weaknesses of all classes and I learn it best by trying.But the two other professions I boosted were warrior and mesmer (I litterally fell in love with the mesmer, by the way).

Basically I think you are just missing on play style and maybe some right open world build. Try metabattle

Yes, thank you.

Thank you for your answer.

Hello Cyninja,

Thank you very much for taking so much of your time to answer me.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Welcome to GW2!

Thank you :)

You can swap freely between story content that is repeatable (everything past vanilla) and play wildly everything when ever you want. If you want proper continuity though, you should stick to the order content was released (vanilla -> LWS2 -> HoT -> LWS3 -> PoF -> LWS4).

Oh! I didn't notice these "Living World" thingies. So I have to go back in time, because I obviously jumped over a lot of things. Well, I got the raptor and gliding so it will ease my way through the content, I guess. I'll go a bit back and follow these Living World.

One possible goal would be to gather enough gold to buy all living world episodes and get all the story done first.

Good idea (but I think I'll "cheat" and use diamonds. But it is very nice that if you're good at making gold, you can buy them this way.)

That depends a lot on what class and what gear you are using. It is highly likely though that you are simply lacking the correct build and experience to deal with enemies as new player. I would try to pick a class of your liking and stick with it to fully grasp it and get better at it. Following classes will benefit from your increased game knowledge.

Sounds reasonable. So I'll stick mainly to my Revenant for now.

Classes which are quite easy to play: warrior, ranger, revenant (to some extent, less build flexible due to how it is designed), guardian and necromancer.

I leveled my revenant and boosted warrior and mesmer. But then I guess that if I can master my revenant, it'll be even easier later on for me to play my warrior, then.

Your first step should be: set yourself some goals.Good first time goals are:

• finish all story
  • finish your build and elite specialization
  • complete a set amount of gear quality (all exotic is a good start) with proper stats
  • complete the elite specialization weapon of your class
  • finish specific achievements (Bioluminescent achievement is quite long, will grant you a lot of gold on the way and 1 ascended armor piece of choice, pick the breastplate)
  • world completion (make sure to have mastery points available for core Tyria to unlock masteries while doing this)
  • complete all dungeons
  • complete all the HoT map metas
  • try out WvW
  • try out Spvp

To be honest, I didn't get them all, but I guess that if I just go on the path: Finish vanilla, Living World, etc. the other things will fall to place along the way (or I can come and haunt the forum ;) )

I would also recommend finding a guild. People are usually very keep on helping out and grouping up for things like dungeons, fractals, story, etc.

I don't know what a fractal is referring to (except from being a detailed, recursive, and infinitely self-similar mathematical set whose Hausdorff dimension strictly exceeds its topological dimension. But I doubt we are talking about that kind of fractal :))

I have only seen a few guild's announcements, but it looked like they were looking for more savvy players. But I keep an eye on them.

Thank you again for your answers.

@Scorpyo.6783 said:

@alchemist.6851 said:I wonder what your two other characters’ professions are.

I've made nine characters. One of each profession so I could test them all a bit to see which I was most comfortable with. Also because I'm an altoholic and I like PvP so I like to know the mechanisms, strength and weaknesses of all classes and I learn it best by trying.But the two other professions I boosted were warrior and mesmer (I litterally fell in love with the mesmer, by the way).

Yes, thank you.

Thank you for your answer.

Ah you are some what similar to me.. i grew to 9 chars to test and now at 13 and looking to make that 15 eventually...

I wanted a taste of all profession

I started as a warrior and elementalist but fell in love with mesmer too.. i found guardian pretty nice and so is the new druid ranger.. i don’t really play well with warrior and keep dying... survives a lot better on those i like and had mobility ..

@Scorpyo.6783 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:If you care about story continuity, you should do HoT before PoF. Even better if you have LS2, to do before HoT.If not, it’s up to you. You’ll get a Raptor after finishing the first part of PoF story.You can buy a set of Exotic Berserker stat armor from the trading post for about 10g if you feel you need a gear upgrade on the non boosted character.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Just a little question: What is "LS2"?

LS2 stands for Living World, Season 2. It is a set of missions and areas which were added to the game before the Heart of Thorns (Hot) expansion. It will tell the story leading to HoT. When you played the game during the time it went live, you got the episodes for free. If you did not unlock them, you can purchase them via the Living World Season 2 Complete Pack in the gem store for 1,280 gems.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:LS2 stands for Living World, Season 2. It is a set of missions and areas which were added to the game before the Heart of Thorns (Hot) expansion. It will tell the story leading to HoT. When you played the game during the time it went live, you got the episodes for free. If you did not unlock them, you can purchase them via the Living World Season 2 Complete Pack in the gem store for 1,280 gems.

Thank you so much :)

@alchemist.6851 said:

Ah you are some what similar to me.. i grew to 9 chars to test and now at 13 and looking to make that 15 eventually...I wanted a taste of all profession

Hahaha :) Yes, sounds like someone I know (me).

I started as a warrior and elementalist but fell in love with mesmer too.. i found guardian pretty nice and so is the new druid ranger.. i don’t really play well with warrior and keep dying... survives a lot better on those i like and had mobility ..

Yes, guardian seems very strong and stable too (at least for a beginner). I like the revenant, but I do die a lot with her. But I am still very influenced by World of Warcraft's playmode. For example, I still keep forgetting that I can move while casting spells. You can only do that with few spells in WoW. So that might explain my serial dying from time to time. I have a lot to learn about this game.

Regards,

Scorpyo

Your best move is always start at 1 then level to 80. The reason being alot of lv 80 content will eat you up if your not careful. But since you did boost i would go to a farm map to learn some of the basics. There is a farm in silver wastes and istan. There are HP runs in HoT and PoF. There are world boss trains and the meta infusion train thats starts in Verdant Brink at reset. You will be at a disadvantage if you dont have the maps unlocked.

sorry, i can't keep up with the convo and quotes xd i'm bad at this~but LWS2 is living world season 2. and so on for LWS3, LWS4.LWS2 is more for your mastery points in Tyria. while LWS3 are more about trinkets since it's easier to obtain ascended trinkets while getting map currency here.you can also change which story you're working on under your Hero panel (press H) > Story Journal.i'd advice ya to work on your gliding and mount first. aka the first few stories of HoT , and the first one of PoF. after then you can do all if you like or just do specific ones to get what you need. you're not forced to do HoT first before PoF. can do either way. and both are very helpful, aka to unlock gliding and raptor.

the instant lvl 80 boost give you full soldier gears, which are power, toughness, vitality. you'll miss out on a lot of damage. therefore, it's better to do stuff and save up to get some exotics on the trading post. around lvl 75-78 is good and prices are reasonable. once you know what you want, you can grind gears towards lvl 80 exotics or even ascended.

Archived