regarding sigils for newish player

Gorkus.7496

I'm not there yet for ascended gear. I'm just adding runes and sigils to the exotic gear I do have. My question is how are some of the sigils affected by elementalist attacks? For example, some sigils grant effects after striking an enemy, but if my elementalist is casting an area effect spell using a staff, is she really striking an enemy at all? Maybe she's striking all within the AoE, I don't know. It also seems that benefits granted by sigils when swapping weapons aren't a good choice since weapon swapping isn't really a feature of the class. Am I wrong?

Also anything that does damage mitigated by armor (power scaled, will say so if it does in the tooltip) counts as a strike, so when you hit something with your AoE it will proc as normal. The only attacks on an elementalist staff that don't do this are:

• Water 3
  • Water 4
  • Water 5
  • Air 3
  • Air 4
  • Earth 4

As you can see these skills aren't meant to do much damage, but rather control enemy movement and buff your allies. Every other skill on staff will trigger sigils.

Give @Khisanth.2948 a thumbs up, since every attunement swap counts as a weaponswap, meaning on-swap sigils will proc as long as there is no internal cooldown.

@rng.1024 said:Also anything that does damage mitigated by armor (power scaled, will say so if it does in the tooltip) counts as a strike, so when you hit something with your AoE it will proc as normal. The only attacks on an elementalist staff that don't do this are:

• Fire 3
  • Water 3
  • Water 4
  • Water 5
  • Air 3
  • Air 4
  • Earth 4

As you can see these skills aren't meant to do much damage, but rather control enemy movement and buff your allies. Every other skill on staff will trigger sigils.

Give @Khisanth.2948 a thumbs up, since every attunement swap counts as a weaponswap, meaning on-swap sigils will proc as long as there is no internal cooldown.

Fire 3 has a physical damage component as well.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@rng.1024 said:Also anything that does damage mitigated by armor (power scaled, will say so if it does in the tooltip) counts as a strike, so when you hit something with your AoE it will proc as normal. The only attacks on an elementalist staff that don't do this are:
  • Fire 3
  • Water 3
  • Water 4
  • Water 5
  • Air 3
  • Air 4
  • Earth 4

Fire 3 has a physical damage component as well.

:oOh yeah my bad, opened the wiki halfway through only to doublecheck. Thanks, will edit! :)

Swapping attunements counts as weapon swap for sigils that benefit from it. If you had a Sigil of Geomancy in one of your weapons, for instance and example -- if you were to switch from Water attunement to Air attunement, the Sigil of Geomancy will activate. However, the cooldown of the sigil remains the same.

For engineers, it activates when you equip or unequip a kit.

Archived