Dragonhunter PvP Viability

Largo Cifer.3495

It has come to the point that DH has become a joke class in PvP since it has not got any buff since forever. Its true that its an average roaming class in WvW but the fact that its damage output is so low compared to the core guardian is depressing. I've seen people get shouted at for using DH and have experienced it myself in top gold and platinum divisions. Guardian is a cooldown based profession and DH having low damage makes it weak since it runs out of skills and cannot kill anything. Shouldn't an effort be made to make DH better again so that we DH lovers can use it in PvP and not get yelled at for losing a match ? Or just push it out of the PvP category saying its utterly useless ?

It is a tricky one to balance. DH is my second most played specc and I would say it is a very opponent dependent specc. I find the most success on it when people forget how to play around it. I'm not talking just about the traps, but the LB too. DH requires people to forget their timing on LB 5, to not see the tell for LB 2 (which has been nerfed time after time after time), and have not kept up with the powercreep of HoT. Now a days everyone is running so many invuln/evasion/stability/protection with reg/range that basically it is really difficult to make them play around your traps.

I can't really pinpoint the changes that would be needed, but something I would propose is adding a bit more power to LB autoattack, making #4 a little less clunky to use, and add a bit more scaling to #2 so that we can live that ranged DPS fantasy that was sold to us with DH, right now scepter is a far better choice for ranged damage.

@"Largo Cifer.3495" said:

I regularly Duo-que with a friend that plays DH in Rank. She gets regularly flamed for playing her favourite profession even though she's very good with it yet the limitations of it are obvious.So I suppose it could use buffs, however people will come here with, what I like to call, the (possibly correct) "Thief argument" that DH is balanced and only everything else is OP and needs toning down. But we know that is not gonna happen, so why let professions and their players rot like that.

@Fortus.6175 said:It is a tricky one to balance. DH is my second most played specc and I would say it is a very opponent dependent specc. I find the most success on it when people forget how to play around it. I'm not talking just about the traps, but the LB too. DH requires people to forget their timing on LB 5, to not see the tell for LB 2 (which has been nerfed time after time after time), and have not kept up with the powercreep of HoT. Now a days everyone is running so many invuln/evasion/stability/protection with reg/range that basically it is really difficult to make them play around your traps.

I can't really pinpoint the changes that would be needed, but something I would propose is adding a bit more power to LB autoattack, making #4 a little less clunky to use, and add a bit more scaling to #2 so that we can live that ranged DPS fantasy that was sold to us with DH, right now scepter is a far better choice for ranged damage.

Traps were the only good things they got from this spec and even these traps got nerfed over and over. Not to mention that running full traps in PvP is completely foolish and get rolled over by others once they are used up. I'd say the that the DH traits can be reworked making it more useful than right now. For example, Longbow 3 can be given a knockback without heavylight and the trait like soaring devastaion and bulwark are not even used by anyone. I could say DH was balanced if the other classes were less op. Its countered by a lot of classes and you literally cannot win a 1v1 against a holo, soulbeast or spellbreaker unless they are bad players and dont know that they are doing.

dragon hunter is pretty well balanced now, other over tuned specs are what making it look undesirable for pvp. it still best spec for dealing with mesmers as the trap damage can kill clones before they reach you for a shatter. some of the dragon hunter traits could be looked at, has largo cifer said longbow 3 would be better just having the knockback on it as standard but it would need a small cd increase of maybe 2-3 seconds in exchange. but that would leave room for a reworked gm.

@Nightmare.1234 said:dragon hunter is pretty well balanced now, other over tuned specs are what making it look undesirable for pvp. it still best spec for dealing with mesmers as the trap damage can kill clones before they reach you for a shatter. some of the dragon hunter traits could be looked at, has largo cifer said longbow 3 would be better just having the knockback on it as standard but it would need a small cd increase of maybe 2-3 seconds in exchange. but that would leave room for a reworked gm.

Exactly, so right now its not logical to say that all other classes should to be nerfed to be as balanced. Only DH can be buffed to be on par with them. The reason why core guard does better is because radiance and virtues is like bread and butter and goes so well together and can have valor for sustain. DH cannot have either virtues or radiance and leaving valor would make it even worse. Adding a bit more damage potential to dragonhunter trait would be a good buff.

@"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:Revert the trap nerfs, revert most of the longbow nerfs, done.

It'll never happen, because most players are too stupid to understand what a "trap" is and why you shouldn't run headlong into one, which is what got DH nerfed in the first place.

There was a point where DH occupied 7 of the top 10. That's why they got nerfed.

There wasnt even a reason to nerf longbow in the first place. Now it does shit damage , especially in PvP. And the projectiles are super slow and telegraphic. Medi trapper guard is the only option atm and it clearly does low damage. You can use all your cooldowns on a boonbeast or holo and still die at the end.

It actually got nerfed last patch due to Courageous Return changes. The only reason to run it is if you really like DH, otherwise you'll get flamed for playing a shit spec and will probably get farmed unless you're one of those dedicated DH players who have spent thousands of hours on the spec just to be semi viable.

Archived