Had a blast in wvw!

LaFurion.3167

Spent around 25 hours in wvw in the last 2 days on my core sword dagger thief and had some really really fun experiences, and learned/observed a few things I would like to share/discuss about.

Firstly, wvw is insanely alive. There was basically always a huge zerg of each server running around and we had so many good competitive fights seiging/defending keeps and outposts. Since I was a thief I roamed around and picked people off where I could, had a few great fights, also got chased down by some classes but overall it seemed like the game mode was thriving. I didn't think I could have that much fun in wvw!

I noticed a few things though. Firstly, any warrior I came across seemed unkillable while deleting me if he touched me. All of them were core warrior or spell breaker, no berserker ofc. Not sure if it was my class match up as SD thief but I just started avoiding them because of how hard they hit.

Holosmiths and soul beasts were equally terrifying from the damage dealt and also how many buffs they had. Soul beast seem to ALWAYS run a build that just twang twang deletes me. Not complaining just observation, maybe if I get really good I can beat them ^_^.

As a sword dagger thief with energy sigil on shortbow running shadow step, roll back utility and roll back heal and dagger storm, I BARELY can run away vs a log of classes. It seems that either there are permanent swiftness classes out there or every class is now Barry Alan, but I was basically barely escaping by the skin of my teeth, even after using portal back on sword 2, portal back on shadow step, and short bow 5 away.

Mirage class seems more manageable now, but the detargetting it has was so confusing. Like to the point I don't bother fighting them. Actively focusing on which one is the real one I couldn't lock on with my eyes in time; 2 to 4 second later he invisible again or detargets again with clones. INCREDIBLY unfun to fight so I will no longer fight them :/.

Deadeye - the gimmick one shot rifle build seems less forgiving for me as an oce player; I would dodge roll and it would still register the damage even though I was halfway into it. Kind of annoying but I just learned to shadow step away and avoid the fight. I also felt that the permanent invis that dead eye has is again, so unfun to fight against that I will no longer fight them.

Now some of these observations are latency related, some of them are just how things are in the game currently (balance), but I was absolutely blown away about how much fun I had in wvw.

Even as a relatively amateur player I had a few amazing 1v2 fights, 1v1 fights, roaming experiences, siege defending experiences etc. Was very very surprising.

Just thought I would share a positive point about this game mode; been seeing so many negative things about it!So apart from the balancing and latency issues (if you guys have any), what are you guys positive experience/points about wvw, and other negative? It seems for the huuuuge scale, gw2 wvw is pretty enjoyable!

Yes, if you had some luck/money and like bandwagoning. There are some servers trying to do sth (with guilds, roamers, daily zergs etc) but also many dead ones, and we all hope that Alliances (coming summer 2022) will fix it and make WvW enjoyable for all, not just top servers that stack raiding guilds and then cry "wtf, noone wanna play against us, dead game-mode, where are all those fights".

Now some PvP things:

I noticed a few things though. Firstly, any warrior I came across seemed unkillable while deleting me if he touched me. All of them were core warrior or spell breaker, no berserker ofc. Not sure if it was my class match up as SD thief but I just started avoiding them because of how hard they hit.

Warrior is pretty "stiff" class, you need to learn their skill animations, timings and what makes you stun and what makes you get one-shoted. As s/d you have access to very powerful shadowstep (2nd skill) and additional evade (3rd skill), just try to predict what is he gonna do, dodge stuns, run around when they proc enduring pain and generally play with them around. Spellbreakers hits less, but against them you need to pay more attention to FC, then everything goes smooth and fine.

Holosmiths and soul beasts were equally terrifying from the damage dealt and also how many buffs they had. Soul beast seem to ALWAYS run a build that just twang twang deletes me. Not complaining just observation, maybe if I get really good I can beat them ^_^.

Two pretty unbalanced (my opinion) classes, especially soulbeast. If he plays badly, just hit and run (and repeat), if hes good...then don't even start this fight, feels at least unfair from your point of view.

Actually nice to see that some people still gets fun in WvW, have fun on the battlefield bro o/

@"Widmo.3186" said:Yes, if you had some luck/money and like bandwagoning. There are some servers trying to do sth (with guilds, roamers, daily zergs etc) but also many dead ones, and we all hope that Alliances (coming summer 2022) will fix it and make WvW enjoyable for all, not just top servers that stack raiding guilds and then cry "kitten, noone wanna play against us, dead game-mode, where are all those fights".

Now some PvP things:

Warrior is pretty "stiff" class, you need to learn their skill animations, timings and what makes you stun and what makes you get one-shoted. As s/d you have access to very powerful shadowstep (2nd skill) and additional evade (3rd skill), just try to predict what is he gonna do, dodge stuns, run around when they proc enduring pain and generally play with them around. Spellbreakers hits less, but against them you need to pay more attention to FC, then everything goes smooth and fine.

Two pretty unbalanced (my opinion) classes, especially soulbeast. If he plays badly, just hit and run (and repeat), if hes good...then don't even start this fight, feels at least unfair from your point of view.

Actually nice to see that some people still gets fun in WvW, have fun on the battlefield bro o/

No need to pay attention to FC, it only hits for 3k.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@"Widmo.3186" said:Yes, if you had some luck/money and like bandwagoning. There are some servers trying to do sth (with guilds, roamers, daily zergs etc) but also many dead ones, and we all hope that Alliances (coming summer 2022) will fix it and make WvW enjoyable for all, not just top servers that stack raiding guilds and then cry "kitten, noone wanna play against us, dead game-mode, where are all those fights".

Now some PvP things:

still procs adrenaline healing though

If you had so much trouble against warriors id say you still have alot to learn. Ppl that know what they are doing are just laughing at warriors (especially Thiefs), kite them around and when they feel like it finish them off. Soulbeasts and mirages are the worst thing imo.

Warrior animations are slow and clunky, learn which to avoid and as soon as you see endure pain jump out of range and wait until it runs out.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Now some PvP things:

still procs adrenaline healing though

Just 1 stack, and it's hardly OP healing or anything. I honestly think adrenal health isn't even that good. It's powercrept completely.

It interrupts, gives access to stun/damage skill, damages and heals. There are situations when you wanna put as much pressure as you can to, for example, finish him off, but usually if you know that hes gonna use FC, why wont you just wait, stash your weapons, laugh and show your highness over him? Im not saying its necessary, but if you know how to play around it, then just do it.

@Derenaya.3479 said:

@Derenaya.3479 said:I now go in WvW at least once per day aswell, mainly for the daylies but also to search some fights. Sadly I only find player that hide in camps tho :/

WvW’ers do not
hide
in camps.

We
Lurk

The word doesn‘t matter, I can‘t kill them nontheless :P

Next time I’ll add a ‘/s’ to my comment.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Derenaya.3479" said:I now go in WvW at least once per day aswell, mainly for the daylies but also to search some fights. Sadly I only find player that hide in camps tho :/

WvW’ers do not
hide
in camps.

We
Lurk

Nah, the word you should be using is "Guarding", since actually running beside a Dolyak to get T2/T3 is just too annoying. Better to just camp the camp and kill those who show up once RI falls off.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Glad you had fun OP.Which server are you on though?Right now we are in the OCX timezone and heading towards SEA timezone.Activity is pretty dead in Tier 2.Maybe one small group of 10+ per server running around the maps with the bigger group flipping everything.Almost zero roamers on the BLs. A few on EBG.Sigh.

Im on sea of sorrows. And I live in nz.

But like I said it seemed all round the clock huge zwrg fights and lots of player activity.

Thanks for the warrior tips guys! Yep Im still pretty novice. Slightly above beginne/intermediate so have a lot to learn plus my 250 ping doesn't help ._.

But eventually ill just get good and molest them all :D

Archived