Outfits? Only?

serjio.1608

They used to sell armour sets in the gem store and the ones they released that way (7 for each armour weight) are still sold. But players complained that they hated having to buy new armour sets from the gem store and wanted to earn them in game, so from Heart of Thorns onward they only put outfits into the gem store and all new armour skins are in-game rewards.

They won't split outfits into seperate pieces (even though a lot of people want that) because the whole reason they started making them is it's quicker and easier to make a 1 piece suit any character can wear than 3 seperate sets of armour pieces which have to fit with every other armour piece of the same weight.

@"Blocki.4931" said:The cost (read: work hours and thus money) of creating armor is far higher than making new outfits (every weight and armor type, race, gender, potentially size needs to be adjusted and accounted for). That's why we get so little new armor skins and lots of outfits compared to it.

Since the inception of Mount Skins, they have no excuse to hide behind "not enough development money" card - they're making more money quarterly than ever before.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:The cost (read: work hours and thus money) of creating armor is far higher than making new outfits (every weight and armor type, race, gender, potentially size needs to be adjusted and accounted for). That's why we get so little new armor skins and lots of outfits compared to it.

Since the inception of Mount Skins, they have no excuse to hide behind "not enough development money" card - they're making more money quarterly than ever before.

Who is saying "not enough development money"? It's about costs & benefits. High-priced MountFits work better at generating revenue than modestly priced armor pieces, that's true. But that doesn't change the fact that one armor set costs something like 6 or 9 times more than a single outfit (depending on various factors). ANet would be strongly criticized for charging 700 gems per piece for armor skins, but they can sell outfits for that price; it's a much better use of their limited resources.

More importantly, there are only so many artists. Even if the studio is making more money, that doesn't mean it's sensible for them to hire enough new artists to noticeably increase the rate at which skins are added (whether to the game or to the gem shop).

Our appetite for new skins exceeds any studio's ability to produce enough new ones to keep us sated. We'd all love to see more skins; it's not practical.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

Who is saying "not enough development money"? It's about costs & benefits. High-priced MountFits work better at generating revenue than modestly priced armor pieces, that's true. But that doesn't change the fact that one armor set costs something like 6 or 9 times more than a single outfit (depending on various factors). ANet would be strongly criticized for charging 700 gems
per piece
for armor skins, but they can sell outfits for that price; it's a much better use of their limited resources.

More importantly, there are only so many artists. Even if the studio is making more money, that doesn't mean it's sensible for them to hire enough new artists to noticeably increase the rate at which skins are added (whether to the game or to the gem shop).

Our appetite for new skins exceeds any studio's ability to produce enough new ones to keep us sated. We'd all love to see more skins; it's not practical.

They’ve said before that armor is one of the most expensive items they make and creating a full set for 5 races and 2 sexes takes months. In comparison outfits are one size fits all onesies that can be made cheaply and easily and then sold for more profit per piece than one armor weight. It’s the time and cost that’s holding them back from making armors faster. They could hire more people to make more armors but then that would remove money from their budget for other things, like new content.

They are also owned by another company. It’s unknown how much money they are allowed to keep but any increase in profits undoubtedly goes first to NCSoft to distribute as they see fit.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

People have been requesting new armor skins or full armor outfits for a very, very long time.

How much people have requested it really has very little effect on their profit calculations. The can judge projected sales from how armor sets have actually sold rather than how much people ask for it, and how much time it takes to make it. Doing the same for outfits shows that the profit in outfits are significantly larger as they take significantly less time to make.

i do wonder if the following is palatable to players:

that all future armor and outfit skins use a common 5th char model (i.e. cannot be matched with older skins). and that all armor classes can use these skins

yes, the idea of not being able to match parts to older skins is horrible to many, but in the much longer term, this may be better

@"casualkenny.9817" said:i do wonder if the following is palatable to players:

that all future armor and outfit skins use a common 5th char model (i.e. cannot be matched with older skins). and that all armor classes can use these skins

yes, the idea of not being able to match parts to older skins is horrible to many, but in the much longer term, this may be better

What you're describing is basically Town Clothes, which was scrapped in favor of Outfits. I believe the argument was that having cuts at predefined places limits their creative freedom.

Currently Outfits consist of a headpiece and the rest. You can tell because the headpiece can be hidden seperately. I believe it would be easy to allow us to mix and match the headpieces. UI would look something like this:AxV5Lao.png

• Hiding the headpiece reveals the armor's headpiece.
  • Hiding both the headpiece and the armor's headpiece shows no headpiece at all.
  • Hiding the outfit reveals the armor.

This enables players to use:

• Any outfit with any outfit's headpiece
  • Any armour with any outfit's headpiece
  • Any outfit with any armour's headpiece
  • Any armour with any armour's headpiece

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@"casualkenny.9817" said:i do wonder if the following is palatable to players:

What you're describing is basically Town Clothes, which was scrapped in favor of Outfits. I believe the argument was that having cuts at predefined places limits their creative freedom.

Currently Outfits consist of a headpiece and the rest. You can tell because the headpiece can be hidden seperately. I believe it would be easy to allow us to mix and match the headpieces. UI would look something like this:
AxV5Lao.png
  • Hiding the headpiece reveals the armor's headpiece.
  • Hiding both the headpiece and the armor's headpiece shows no headpiece at all.
  • Hiding the outfit reveals the armor.

This enables players to use:
  • Any outfit with any outfit's headpiece
  • Any armour with any outfit's headpiece
  • Any outfit with any armour's headpiece
  • Any armour with any armour's headpiece

oh, i do think that's already relatively easy for them to implement (they just aren't willing), since the head-section for all armor weights are probably chopped off equally

what i was addressing was their explanation (if i understand it correctly) as to why it would be very difficult to split the outfits.

because when they first designed the game, each armor weight (heavy med light) used a different model with different attachment points between each armor piece and the character sprite. hence, we can't mix and match between the weights, since the attachment points would clash. outfits used a 4th model, and so cannot mesh with the 3 main armor weights, even if they cut the outfits into parts. also, the outfits up to date probably were not designed to be able to split into convenient parts. but i do think that that difficulty applies more to the torso+pants than to the periphery parts (which are also the parts that ppl tend to dislike most). in fact, if i wasn't allowed to hide the head gear of outfits, i would definitely not have bought most of mine.

i.e. make a clean cut from making weight-restricted armor skins completely. that way, any class can mix and match any armor pieces. in the long run, we get far more variety

an even better subsequent step (but very unlikely), partner with the community to let them adjust the attachment points for the old skins for anet for free, to make them all forward-compatible

alternatively, design the new armor weight to not have overlap with all 4 existing skins, so that all new skins are backwards-compatible

It would be nice if there is an armor version of every outfit that fits with its weight. Example, Crystal Abriter is both an outfit and heavy armor. Elonian Elementalist will be both an outfit and a light armor. I will be willing to by a boat load of armors and possible by gems with actual money if Anet did that.

The problem with outfits, is typically people want only 1-2 pieces. For example I think Crystal Arbiter chest looks epic, but I cannot stand the leggings and shoulders, thus I will never buy it. And while I surely do not have any statistics (this is based on my personal observation of watching people in the game), I rarely see people use outfits, which means there is a huge potential market that Anet is not tapping. It would possibly require Anet to spend some effort into coding, but should be totally worth it financially, particularly that all outfits are already coded and tailored to work on all classes.

Archived