Any tipps against mirages (condi) ?

RedShark.9548

Ayo boys and girls,so recently i played my 10 matches to get my rating with only core warrior and ended up just barely in platin (tbh my rating should prolly be a bit lower, but since i havent played gw2 and especially not pvp in quite some time my mmr might be a little bit effed up)anyways, now that im ranked kind of higher, i always encounter 1-2 condi mirages in my opposing teams....and as soon as i get on a 1v1 on a point with one he just spams torment and confusion on me (this is ofc nothing new) in the past (chrono and core) i knew what to dodge etc, but against mirage i just cant figure out what exactly is applying all those condis, as soon i clear them, i instantly get 3-5 stacks of both back up on me again....

so can anyone give me tipps on how to play against that, what animations to dodge, anything honestly ? (except from saying, hurr durr get off your stupid warrior class blah blah) and im also not rly fan of spb, especially not since it got gutted so horribly

now boonbeasts are another story, those are quite annoying too, but atleast i can grasp what the kitten kills me and why i cant kill them.

It's somewhat annoying on Core Warrior, especially if you're like me and you run Signet of Stamina as an only clense skill.Anyway, your Burst skills should clear condis equal to the Adrenaline bar spent, but you probably know that.

If you're running GS then try to pop GS#3 in to the clones, preferably move around in such a way that there is both Mirage and his clones, mostly when they are running at you for the shatter.

If you're running Axe, which is typical for core, then Axe#2 is mostly guaranteed hit when Mirage goes stealth. It is in almost (almost) all cases that when Mirage goes stealth, he is running at you with intention to spam his Axe#2 and to spawn clones in you, if you see him go stealth try to kite away for a bit then when you're sure turn around and pop Axe#2 in to thin air. Ye, this one is luck based but works really often, destroys all spawned clones and does lots of dmg.

Coming back to burst skills, it shouldn't be a problem to trigger their Condi clense by popping them in to the clones rather than using it on the Player who will likely dodge. Just don't be like me and be sure to watch for those "blinds" because only few things are as annoying as when you need to hit the GS burst and out of 3 targets you hit absolutely nothing.

Then Rampage, that's very self explanatory, no special tactic, just use it and smash stuff around you, only be sure to activate it when you still have lots of HP, confusion stacks still hit like a truck while in Rampage and it's really depressing when you use your elite and then you have to cancel it immediately in order not to die, since your utility skills are locked.

Also, since Warrior has insane capability to stun lock then offense will be your best friend, count the dodges and only then use your Shield or Bulls Charge if you're using it, however it is still likely that mirage will blink away or break target with Ilussionary Ambush when stun locked, so try to not Burst immediately after the stun, unless you're very sure, give it a split second to see if he breaks or ports.

1) Keep track of your stacks - You can attack with up to 3 stacks of confusion on you and moving around when needed with up to 5 while it will be painful won't be any worse than if a power class is ranging you.

2) Kill their phantasms - If you have good AoE damage killing them reduces the number of clones and the damage you will take.

3) Kill the clones - Like above with decent AoE damage they will die very fast, they have 2.4k health so most attacks will kill clones.

4) Use active defences against actual skills - I know this seems obvious but is often not followed, there's certain abilities that stack lots of conditions on you, saving your dodges, blocks, invulns for them is what you need to do. Just like you would vs a power class. Don't use active defences against auto attacks, LoS and kite for that.

5) Play one yourself - I know people say this and some grab it, play if for 4 games, proclaim "broken class, I'm facerolling and killing people" and go back to their main after not performing very well at all in the match. Don't be a pleb, put actual time into getting to know and finding effective combos with the class as well as fighting people on it's counters (thief, guardian) so you have to really understand how a mesmer will bomb you. You say you're not sure what's killing you so really look at the skills and what the animation looks like. An example is axes of symmetry, when you see the mesmer drop target and appear next to you, dodge as that's a high confusion stack.

6) Run Spellbreaker - I know you might like core warrior, you might like not having the power creep, there's lots of reasons. However you can proc full counter off all clones which is easy, FC is a 1.5s AoE daze so nothing is attacking you afterwards, Spellbreaker brings another stunbreak + resistance. They can rip resistance from you so watch out for that. Don't run tramawar, it's not good vs mirages now.

7) Keep pressure up on them - unless you're fighting a really good mirage (not likely) they will likely blow their load on you very quickly then teleport to ranged damage while they wait on CD's, don't let up if you can or you will lose.

Mirage is very strong because of the amount of conditions it can burst onto you however many don't put the time into properly understanding what the skills do otherwise they would be able to beat the Flavour of the Month mirages. If they're running scepter and the cool down trait just stall for as long as possible and then leave, the scepter is just silly with a 4.75s CD block for 2 clones and 5 torment, how anyone can defend scepter is beyond me.

Finally this is just rough general advise that I've seen many people not really follow. If you want tailored advise to your specific class, skills and utilities someone else will have to provide.

IN short I'd say mirage wont lose to you . Rly good mirage ;DIf you met bad mesmer , slap burst on clone fo AH/more dodges. Dodge on mirage with gs preferably(if you have full endurance ofc), so he have to dodge too or he take lots of unblockable damage from ur dodge while you recover your enduance (MMR) . GS3 sht out of clones. Axe them to hell in melee, will help u build adrenaline too. Try to jebait mesmer evades with your autoattacks or 1-2-3 on axe, he will have to dodge cuz its hit like a truck . You may want to use traited axe cuz its hit even harder than before XDExperiment with your utilities and cleansing ire/passive balanced stance(mastery) . When I had to play core war cuz other core specs meh I liked stances w/o bullchurge .Its not something that will carry you as core warrior ,as spellbreaker its changes a lot , free might pulls reveals etc uk, too deadly in other words.Enemies cant dodge everything you have, bait their cds with strong axe skills . Bait their evades with burst cancel or you see you wont land it. Axe burst can be rupted by weapon swap only,very important to jebait your opponents, thats diffeence between good and bad lads. Practice and may be you will work out something.Go on rampage as if his cds are exhausted, your every attack on rampage will be dodged if he have evades, 5-4-3 ,so he gotta waste those dodges or shatters for blinds,or he will die to it. If he waste all burst on your rampage ,like really a lot ,exist shake it off and fight mesmer w/o cds. He probs run away and return to kill you ,so you better to kill him quickly after rampage or during rampage(you can leave it early for normal attacks and utilities)

Attacks...You see purple smoke on the ground and memser vanish ? You are about to get burnt in melee range with jaunt-torch4 into phantasmal mage ,this dud stretch his arms behind you to slap cone hadouken into you . Regarding this you can use gs 3 or shield block or evade. Either you count to 2 after that or mesmer will like scub will intajump on you with jaunt->shattering something, u wont take much damage in that case, insta shield block to block every crap will follow afterwards, huge loss for him tho in that case.When you see staff clones spin staff for real hadoukens you can sidestep it but its fying pretty fast, so you may not,all hadoukens will be thrown at your location so 1 dodge would be enough to dodge it.If thats scepter mesmer id say you must accept fact he probably love males and its not good idea to fight them at all , trust me ,this dumb scepter block will make you mad . If you still want to fight it...dont trigger that thing and dodge on it if u have too much endurance, kill clones with axe autos (if you dont have tonns of confusions), if you do ,besrk stance rekt them and may be slap burst on clones to have regen, try to avoid being rekt by shatters burts etc. Important detail , laser is hard to use when some1 is dancing in melee around you, but block is easy to pull off, you better weaponswap to cleanse 5 torments and have cleanse sigil somewhere(may be?)Oh yes,axe ambush hurt a lot, weapon swap on lots of torments and its been last condi applied. Axe 2 is garbage skill , he will dodge while doing it or u can slap few attacks on him. Axe 3 is pretty easy to see, they gather around you for gangbang,just dodge xD. If they have pistol...dodge phantasm or kill it quick if you are in range?Everything is pretty much situational .

Weaknesses of meta mirage spec:-Very few clears, virtually any condi build will drop them if they make a mistake-Poor sustain, land a few hits and they have to kite or run-Low vigor uptime, make them use dodges defensively so they don't get much use out of Infinite Horizon-Poor clone generation and blinding dissipation/ineptitude means they have to be right on top of you for shatters to matter.-Not very mobile with axe/staff, easy to kite or out-rotate esp now that many are dropping portal after it was nerfed.
-No precision, condi is their only damage and durations have been repeatedly nerfed. Hoelbrak runes can help a lot, esp with Might makes Right spec.

Core war can take advantage of most of those. Biggest thing I find that helps when fighting mes on war of any build is to be AGGRESSIVE. Get in their face and hit them hard, don't let them control the fight. Bait them into bad positions, drag them to your team or a down and cleave them. When they vanish don't run around waiting, hit where you think they might be. IDK how many times I've whirlwinded thin air and been rewarded with a down mes appearing a sec later ;)

first, thanks for the tipps, ill try to apply them ofc.here my build, if anybody wonders, changed burst mastery to axe mastery and rousing resilience to cleansing ire (my build already includes quite a bit of condi cleanse, but didnt seem to be enough, sadly, rousing is better against power builds ofc)

gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejEdQZH25BmhApIGICKLAigeGPh+eE0vY6jBA-jpBHAB5XGQ8jAAAHEgf2fwgLAQzPAAA

Edit: build calc isnt updated yet, so dmg value is lower than in the game because forcefull greatsword is still the old oneingame dmg value is on GS: 2643and on axe its: 2523

i also took demolisher amulet (to compensate dmg taken for not using auto endure pain) and armored attack, because i know how much everybody hates auto endure pain :^) (also, its on a way too long cd with 2 sec duration lul)

i know, most warriors prefer healing sig, but i personally rly like mending, especially since its now a physical, boosts dmg therefore and has less cd.it also heals more than healing sig when used almost on cd (when used every 19 seconds it heals as much as healing sig, without factoring in the MMR healing from gaining 5might stacks from the rune)and i dont trust resistance anymore because the classes that abuse condis also happen to have most of the boonrips, which is kitten, if you ask me, but okeythe only downside is that it can be rly punishing to go into rampage without using healing sig beforehand and having 0 resistance while in rampagethats why i keep swapping rampage and signet of rage around...the adrenal gain from signet giving ofc more burst opportunities to in turn cleanse more condis and so forth.any suggestions regarding the build ? do you think berserker stance is still necessary, or has this build enough cleanse ?

@tinyreborn.1938 said:IN short I'd say mirage wont lose to you . Rly good mirage ;DIf you met bad mesmer , slap burst on clone fo AH/more dodges. Dodge on mirage with gs preferably(if you have full endurance ofc), so he have to dodge too or he take lots of unblockable damage from ur dodge while you recover your enduance (MMR) . GS3 kitten out of clones. Axe them to hell in melee, will help u build adrenaline too. Try to jebait mesmer evades with your autoattacks or 1-2-3 on axe, he will have to dodge cuz its hit like a truck . You may want to use traited axe cuz its hit even harder than before XDExperiment with your utilities and cleansing ire/passive balanced stance(mastery) . When I had to play core war cuz other core specs meh I liked stances w/o bullchurge .Its not something that will carry you as core warrior ,as spellbreaker its changes a lot , free might pulls reveals etc uk, too deadly in other words.Enemies cant dodge everything you have, bait their cds with strong axe skills . Bait their evades with burst cancel or you see you wont land it. Axe burst can be rupted by weapon swap only,very important to jebait your opponents, thats diffeence between good and bad lads. Practice and may be you will work out something.Go on rampage as if his cds are exhausted, your every attack on rampage will be dodged if he have evades, 5-4-3 ,so he gotta waste those dodges or shatters for blinds,or he will die to it. If he waste all burst on your rampage ,like really a lot ,exist shake it off and fight mesmer w/o cds. He probs run away and return to kill you ,so you better to kill him quickly after rampage or during rampage(you can leave it early for normal attacks and utilities)

Attacks...You see purple smoke on the ground and memser vanish ? You are about to get burnt in melee range with jaunt-torch4 into phantasmal mage ,this dud stretch his arms behind you to slap cone hadouken into you . Regarding this you can use gs 3 or shield block or evade. Either you count to 2 after that or mesmer will like scub will intajump on you with jaunt->shattering something, u wont take much damage in that case, insta shield block to block every kitten will follow afterwards, huge loss for him tho in that case.When you see staff clones spin staff for real hadoukens you can sidestep it but its fying pretty fast, so you may not,all hadoukens will be thrown at your location so 1 dodge would be enough to dodge it.If thats scepter mesmer id say you must accept fact he probably love males and its not good idea to fight them at all , trust me ,this dumb scepter block will make you mad . If you still want to fight it...dont trigger that thing and dodge on it if u have too much endurance, kill clones with axe autos (if you dont have tonns of confusions), if you do ,besrk stance rekt them and may be slap burst on clones to have regen, try to avoid being rekt by shatters burts etc. Important detail , laser is hard to use when some1 is dancing in melee around you, but block is easy to pull off, you better weaponswap to cleanse 5 torments and have cleanse sigil somewhere(may be?)Oh yes,axe ambush hurt a lot, weapon swap on lots of torments and its been last condi applied. Axe 2 is garbage skill , he will dodge while doing it or u can slap few attacks on him. Axe 3 is pretty easy to see, they gather around you for kitten,just dodge xD. If they have pistol...dodge phantasm or kill it quick if you are in range?Everything is pretty much situational .

I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised by your writing those or me understanding it.I probably misjudged you.

@XECOR.2814 said:You die and then go to different node and hope mesmer doesnt come there.

This is actually the most relevant advice, both power and condi mirage have the winning match up against warrior/spell breaker. Highly advise not to 1v1 either of them. The only real option you have is to count their dodges and distortions and hope rampage can carry you when you pop it after the majority of their defenses are down (if you live that long).

On a side note, even if we give somes tips, a core warrior/also berserker can't win against a condimirage, especially if he run blind on shatter.Why ?Because the war meta is balanced about be carefull on random full counter that can proc on spellbreaker. And basically a full counter = aoe illusion kill+cc (break burst combo)+resistance+stab. Also the only counter to full counter is not attacking which isn't possible with illusions poped out.With no full counter, there is no random value in the fight, the mesmer know exactly when are the safe windows to attacks the war so he can put way much more pressure than on a spellbreaker and know and have the tools to counter every attack of the war (which is not the case with FC.).

Maybe you can create some surprise on core with exotics things like unblocable rifle build. Pewpewting away from illusions and axe combo with a counter to mesmer reflect seems propably the best answer for me.But again core war is faaaaaaaaaaar to have the mu on condimirage.

@viquing.8254 said:On a side note, even if we give somes tips, a core warrior/also berserker can't win against a condimirage, especially if he run blind on shatter.Why ?Because the war meta is balanced about be carefull on random full counter that can proc on spellbreaker. And basically a full counter = aoe illusion kill+cc (break burst combo)+resistance+stab. Also the only counter to full counter is not attacking which isn't possible with illusions poped out.With no full counter, there is no random value in the fight, the mesmer know exactly when are the safe windows to attacks the war so he can put way much more pressure than on a spellbreaker and know and have the tools to counter every attack of the war (which is not the case with FC.).

Maybe you can create some surprise on core with exotics things like unblocable rifle build. Pewpewting away from illusions and axe combo with a counter to mesmer reflect seems propably the best answer for me.But again core war is faaaaaaaaaaar to have the mu on condimirage.

Fc was nerfed so hard you wont even be able to kill clones with it

@RedShark.9548 said:

@viquing.8254 said:On a side note, even if we give somes tips, a core warrior/also berserker can't win against a condimirage, especially if he run blind on shatter.Why ?Because the war meta is balanced about be carefull on random full counter that can proc on spellbreaker. And basically a full counter = aoe illusion kill+cc (break burst combo)+resistance+stab. Also the only counter to full counter is not attacking which isn't possible with illusions poped out.With no full counter, there is no random value in the fight, the mesmer know exactly when are the safe windows to attacks the war so he can put way much more pressure than on a spellbreaker and know and have the tools to counter every attack of the war (which is not the case with FC.).

This is true but clones can't stunbreak either so for 1.5s they won't attack normally or use ambush skills which is handy. You can then proc any adrenaline effects off them or cleave them with GS/arcing slice them all. If running defence you just got lvl 2 adrenal healing off the clones even if you didn't hit the mirage or you forced them to use a dodge.

A spellbreaker can sustain the fight of a long time, far longer than most especially if they understand how mesmer works. The problem is that it won't win other match ups that easily. I'd say it also dies easily to a +1 but that's pretty much everyone at the moment.

Either way the best advise for the OP is to run spellbreaker instead of core warrior. If they don't want to because of power creep or because they don't see it as fair to the other person then OK but they have to accept it will put them at a disadvantage at some point.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Mate , u know , any type of CC destroy phantasms? You stop its attack and they becomes clones? xD

Archived