Please stop changing our camera zoom — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Please stop changing our camera zoom

Please stop changing our camera zoom! I'm not referring to the FOV setting, I am talking about the actual zoom that you control with your mouse-wheel.

This is not new, I'm just finally getting around to posting...

It is most notable at world bosses such as Teq and Jormag. I'll have the camera zoomed all the way out, and then for whatever reason it jumps back in, and I have to zoom out again. It's highly distracting.

I have the collision slider moved all the way to the right, if that makes any difference.

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

Comments

• Sarpan.9074Sarpan.9074 Member ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more. This drives me crazy, too.

1) I don't get the purpose of it. For me, seeing a wider view with my camera zoomed out helps me to know what's going on around me in a boss fight. If I want a closer view, I can zoom in manually, no problem.

2) I do not understand why Anet imposes this on us, taking control of our camera and not offering us a disable function so we can play these fights the way we want.

This has bothered me for a long while but the THK fight has brought it to my attention once again. I have to repeatedly use my scroll wheel to get my camera view the way I want it and that distracts me from the fight. It's counterproductive.

A quick search brings up previous threads on this subject and I would not be surprised if there were more, older ones lost after the forum changeover. In short, I doubt there's any chance that this will be changed since it's been around so long with no response I could find and no fixes offered.

• I second this. Zoom changes promote motion sickness and disorientation, at least in my case.

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

I agree this sucks, i hate when im fighting a boss and my camera just zooms in on its own. I have enough to do in a fight without having to adjust my camera multiple times. Is this something new? i dont remember the camera doing this on my low levels.

@Tiviana.2650 said:
    I agree this sucks, i hate when im fighting a boss and my camera just zooms in on its own. I have enough to do in a fight without having to adjust my camera multiple times. Is this something new? i dont remember the camera doing this on my low levels.

From my experience, it's in meta boss fights. Others have said it happens in fractals, too, but since I don't do them, I can't say.

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

@Sarpan.9074 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

From my experience, it's in meta boss fights. Others have said it happens in fractals, too, but since I don't do them, I can't say.

Yep, happens to me too in meta events. Specifically, the last time I noticed it was in Dragon's Stand. I was wondering why my camera was so zoomed in when the fight ended, and my camera dizzily zoomed out on its own. Ow, my eyes...

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

@Sarpan.9074 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Raid bosses also, as i found out.

• Big YES from me.

Please stop this automatic zoom in when collide an object. Players should have full right control when and where they want to zoom in or out.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's been like that since Day 1, this change is not going to happen, no matter how many times it's asked for...there have been explanations from ArenaNet as to why it's set up this way.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

@kurfu.5623 said:
    Please stop changing our camera zoom!

But don't you love how your head is getting dizzy and you are starting to feel seasick after a while from the constant involuntary zooming in and out? :p Some areas (like the lighting JP) are so much "fun" because of this, aren't they? ;)

My GW2 content charts: (1) LWS 4, (2) PoF , (3) Personal story (pre-Claw Island/Orr) , (4) LWS 2 , (5) HoT, (6) Orr campaign , (7) LWS 3

• ALF.2576ALF.2576 Member ✭✭

They should implement a 'Zoom Lock' bindable key option, who else agrees?

Epic Mafia Boss
    Step off Peasant
    Trace Sequence
    Encrypted X
    Neuromanced

That's how mafia works.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i have the opposite effect, i made a character based on the original GW and zoom it like 3rd person skyrim but every single time it zooms out.
    seriously, this is so frikin frustrating.

• Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

Elementalist's under water elite skill Whirlpool. Camera zooms very far out. If I try to zoom in just a tick, it goes into first-person mode. There is no in-between max-zoom and first-person. This is very irritating because it makes it hard to see where my character is and how close I am to the enemies, causing me to swim around mindlessly trying to hit something.

Whirlpool is literally the only elite skill for core ele that can be used under water. The elites from tempest and weaver can be used under water, but if you have no use for those skills, whirlpool is your only other option. None of the racial elites skills from any race can be used under water. So your only options for ele are whirlpool and whatever the elite spec your'e using (if any) gives you.

• Solvar.7953Solvar.7953 Member ✭✭✭

I've found this annoying since day one.
    From a usability standpoint, this is a really poor design - it is changing a setting (zoom level) that the player had set. If the game change settings in the setup menu on the basis of 'we think this setting is better' everytime you logged in, people would be really annoyed.
    I agree that the simplest solution is just some setup option like 'lock zoom setting'. I'd like that beyond these metas - sometimes when moving around, something temporarily blocks view and it zooms in, and then zooms out again as you continue moving. But at least in that case, it resets back to the original value.
    The annoying thing for the meta events is that it does not reset back to original value - if they must change zoom for some reason, they should at least reset it back to what it was.

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    It's been like that since Day 1, this change is not going to happen, no matter how many times it's asked for...there have been explanations from ArenaNet as to why it's set up this way.

I'd be interested in knowing the explanations. Anything on that?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.