[suggestion] Permanent Watchwork Portal Device

phs.6089

@"Dante.1763" said:Is this the one that teleports you to a random location? id rather have that one as a gizmo!Ah boo, its not https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twisted_Watchwork_Portal_Device

But either way, i agree! A permanent version would be neat!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchwork_Portal_Device no it's a standard portal.Wait there is an item that teleports you to random places in game?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/White_Mantle_Portal_Devicehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder

Those are permanent and for personal use the rewinder is much better since there is basically not cooldown for setting the starting point while the rewind is 30s. You can also drop the bundle and still keep the starting point marked. The rewind can also be used midair to save you from a fall that would otherwise kill you.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/White_Mantle_Portal_Devicehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder

Those are permanent and for personal use the rewinder is much better since there is basically not cooldown for setting the starting point while the rewind is 30s. You can also drop the bundle and still keep the starting point marked. The rewind can also be used midair to save you from a fall that would otherwise kill you.

The Position Rewinder is strictly personal ise, but the White Mantle Portal Device creates the same kind of portal as the Watchwork device, the Teleportation Gun and the Mesmer skill - 20 uses, usable by any friendly player.

@phs.6089 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:Is this the one that teleports you to a random location? id rather have that one as a gizmo!Ah boo, its not

no it's a standard portal.Wait there is an item that teleports you to random places in game?

Yea, i linked it, the twisted version is a random teleportation item, fun to use, but can be deadly!

@Dante.1763 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@Dante.1763 said:Is this the one that teleports you to a random location? id rather have that one as a gizmo!Ah boo, its not

no it's a standard portal.Wait there is an item that teleports you to random places in game?

Yea, i linked it, the twisted version is a random teleportation item, fun to use, but can be deadly!

It would only be half as fun if not deadly. :#

The portals are called "mesmer portal" by most people for a reason, they are the one skill that a mesmer is famous (and loved) for and suddenly giving this to everybody in the game seems like it would be a huge slap in the face for mesmers to me.

Although I would of course love to have such an item for all my chars, I think it would be so wrong to do that, that I rather would have them not doing it than benefitting from it myself. It would be an unreasonable and inconsiderate move that takes away the one thing really defines the class choice of a lot of people.

@"Shikaru.7618" said:There is one albeit a terribly long cd.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/White_Mantle_Portal_Device

exactly.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:The portals are called "mesmer portal" by most people for a reason, they are the one skill that a mesmer is famous (and loved) for and suddenly giving this to everybody in the game seems like it would be a huge slap in the face for mesmers to me.

Although I would of course love to have such an item for all my chars, I think it would be so wrong to do that, that I rather would have them not doing it than benefitting from it myself. It would be an unreasonable and inconsiderate move that takes away the one thing really defines the class choice of a lot of people.

How is that a slap? You talk like mesmer was made just for teleport. If that is a slap then WMPD already did the job.

Given that there's an expensive reusable version with a 30 minute cooldown, I don't think we'll see anything better as a gadget or gizmo.

I would love to see an actual portal skill appear in an elite spec for another class, though. Maybe an Engineer spec, where they set up a small asuran gate.

@phs.6089 said:

@"Shikaru.7618" said:There is one albeit a terribly long cd.

exactly.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:The portals are called "mesmer portal" by most people for a reason, they are the one skill that a mesmer is famous (and loved) for and suddenly giving this to everybody in the game seems like it would be a huge slap in the face for mesmers to me.

How is that a slap? You talk like mesmer was made just for teleport. If that is a slap then WMPD already did the job.

"How" it is a slap? Easy.

-The one is a raid only random drop that is account bound and has a long cooldown, so not only is it limited to ONE use every 30 minutes, it is also limited to only those parts of the playerbase that successfully raids.

-The one asked for would be an easy to buy gizmo for literally everyone (without any cooldown having been mentioned)

Now which of the two would make everyone in game do "mesmer portals" whenever they want and which one does not? The one that does is the slap.If the cooldown of 30 minutes would be introduced for the watchwork device when making it permanent it would be ok I guess. Then the non-mesmers couldn't run around and portal everyone else all the time - like mesmers can (think of ember bay jumping puzzle as just one of many examples)

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"Shikaru.7618" said:There is one albeit a terribly long cd.

exactly.

@Shikigami.4013 said:The portals are called "mesmer portal" by most people for a reason, they are the one skill that a mesmer is famous (and loved) for and suddenly giving this to everybody in the game seems like it would be a huge slap in the face for mesmers to me.

"How" it is a slap? Easy.

-The one is a raid only random drop that is account bound and has a long cooldown, so not only is it limited to ONE use every 30 minutes, it is also limited to only those parts of the playerbase that successfully raids.

-The one asked for would be an easy to buy gizmo for literally everyone (without any cooldown having been mentioned)

Now which of the two would make everyone in game do "mesmer portals" whenever they want and which one does not? The one that does is the slap.If the cooldown of 30 minutes would be introduced for the watchwork device when making it permanent it would be ok I guess. Then the non-mesmers couldn't run around and portal everyone else all the time - like mesmers can (think of ember bay jumping puzzle as just one of many examples)

disable it in raids and wvw, viola.

So if i go buy bunch of those one time use portals, will it considered a slap now? Because everyone already can buy it with no restrictions.Or consumable items don't count for slap?

@Dante.1763 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@Dante.1763 said:Is this the one that teleports you to a random location? id rather have that one as a gizmo!Ah boo, its not

You can still get those things? outside of buying them of the TP?I've got 2 left in my bank, not sure whether to use them if they are unobtainable now.

Every year during Wintersday I burn my entire karma for the Watchwork Portal Devices. I start collecting right after Wintersday and start the year with 30-50 portals. That is not much, considering how lavish Mesmers spam them like crazy. I am not a raider and I do not swim in Charged Lodestones (craft), so this is my only real way to get them.

I do not main a Mesmer and I do not consider to do this any time in the future. When I am doing some stuff with friends/guild and I know I need portals, I log the Mesmer. But there are certain situations where I am in need of the Watchwork Portals, but reloging on the Mesmer is NO option.

I am happy to have this alternative, I would be even more happy for a permanent version. But I am not going to raid anytime in the future, so I stick to the single-use version. I also have the Prototype Position Rewinder (in a shared inventory slot) and a stack of Teleportation Guns on each character, which save me a lot of portals.

I also want the Sharpening Stone Station / Maintenance Oil Station / Tuning Crystal Station to be permanent. It is not going to happen. I use the Pticher of Desert-Spiced Coffee instead. Not as effective, but a lot cheaper and it is still helpful in various situations.

Some wishes remain unfulfilled, that is part of life.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:Every year during Wintersday I burn my entire karma for the Watchwork Portal Devices. I start collecting right after Wintersday and start the year with 30-50 portals. That is not much, considering how lavish Mesmers spam them like crazy. I am not a raider and I do not swim in Charged Lodestones (craft), so this is my only real way to get them.

You're better off crafting them even if you're not swimming in charged lodestones. I don't believe many players are swimming in snowflakes either.

Each individual portal device from the Wintersday vendor costs 35K karma and 100 snowflakes. Each snowflake sells for 83 copper which comes to 83 silver. It costs 2.85G to craft but the recipe yields two so an individual watchwork portal device actually costs 1.43G to make. That's a difference of about 60 silver.

Now comes to the value that karma has for you. If you like purchasing items from the heart vendors with each living story release, it's worth your while to hold onto that karma. Otherwise, karma can be converted to gold at a rate of 5.39 silver per 1K karma. At 35K karma, this would yield 1.89G. You can invest that amount into crafting more portal devices and obtain more of them than you would have from the vendor.

@CharterforGw.3149 said:

@phs.6089 said:

You can still get those things? outside of buying them of the TP?I've got 2 left in my bank, not sure whether to use them if they are unobtainable now.

Pretty sure the only place you can get them now is the Aetherblade jumping puzzle?

@Dante.1763 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Pretty sure the only place you can get them now is the Aetherblade jumping puzzle?

The are craftable year-round, and purchasable right now during Wintersday.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@phs.6089 said:

The are craftable year-round, and purchasable
right now
during Wintersday.

Saddly thats only if the recipe has been obtained, which, from the wiki article for it, it drops from "various enemies"(doesnt say which ones), one item thats not available at this point, and one item that only drops during the Crown Pavilion (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elegant_Watchwork_Box) and ONLY that level of box, i dont even know if it drops anymore.

@Dante.1763 said:

@phs.6089 said:

right now
during Wintersday.

Saddly thats only if the recipe has been obtained, which, from the wiki article for it, it drops from "various enemies"(doesnt say which ones), one item thats not available at this point, and one item that only drops during the Crown Pavilion (
) and
ONLY
that level of box, i dont even know if it drops anymore.

1) you can buy the recipe sheet for less than 1g2) you can buy up nearly the entire supply of twisted devices from the TP before it becomes worth it to craft since it costs 5g to 6g of materials to craft

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@phs.6089 said:

right now
during Wintersday.

Saddly thats only if the recipe has been obtained, which, from the wiki article for it, it drops from "various enemies"(doesnt say which ones), one item thats not available at this point, and one item that only drops during the Crown Pavilion (
) and
ONLY

1) you can buy the recipe sheet for less than 1g2) you can buy up nearly the entire supply of twisted devices from the TP before it becomes worth it to craft since it costs 5g to 6g of materials to craft

Woah there, the Watchwork Portal Device and the Twisted Watchwork Portal Device are completely different things, just so no one mixes those up!

The recipe for the portal-creating Watchwork Portal Device has a TP supply in the area of 10k counting only the offers below 1 silver. There's no risk of that recipe becoming unavailable anytime soon.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@phs.6089 said:

right now
during Wintersday.

) and
ONLY

Woah there, the Watchwork Portal Device and the
Twisted
Watchwork Portal Device are completely different things, just so no one mixes those up!

The recipe for the portal-creating Watchwork Portal Device has a TP supply in the area of 10k
counting only the offers below 1 silver
. There's no risk of that recipe becoming unavailable anytime soon.

They are different and this threaded was started about the portal creating item but the post I am replying to is not ...???

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@phs.6089 said:

right now
during Wintersday.

) and
ONLY

Woah there, the Watchwork Portal Device and the
Twisted
Watchwork Portal Device are completely different things, just so no one mixes those up!

The recipe for the portal-creating Watchwork Portal Device has a TP supply in the area of 10k
counting only the offers below 1 silver
. There's no risk of that recipe becoming unavailable anytime soon.

They are different and this threaded was started about the portal creating item but the post I am replying to is not ...???

There seemed to be a confusion between the two further up in the thread, and I wanted to make sure readers noticed the difference. It seems I failed miserably and instead added to confusion :D

Archived