Do you think GW2 should have Addons?

RussMafia.7109

Good Day Everyone!

I would like to hear some ideas from you all to see what the community thinks about addons. I understand that some will not want any and want to preserve the intended look of GW2 and then there are those that use addons to improve their in game look and quality of life. Please provide your thoughts and opinions reference why we should have addons and why we should not have addons.I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!Thank you.

I sometimes wish for some QoL changes that could be done via add-on, but then I remember the nightmare that was managing add-ons in other games (weeding out which ones still work and which ones got broken after an update, then hunting for a replacement for all those that were no longer supported/adjusted by their creators) and I'm glad GW2 doesn't have them and tries to include all QoL things in the game itself.

Even though I frequently use addons or mods in other games I can't say I've ever really missed them in GW2. The only things I'd like to be able to do which addons might enable are to move the UI around more and to have a random mini pet selected each time I go through a loading screen, and both of those are very minor.

On the other hand I think some companies sometimes think they can get away with introducing fewer 'quality of life' options, or even bug fixes, if 3rd party addon makers are willing to do it for free. I've occasionally seen companies literally tell people who report bugs to download an addon because that will fix it rather than put it into the base game so everyone gets it and it's updated at the same time as everything else. I don't know that Anet would do that, but I think we have a stronger case for saying changes need to be made to the game when that's the only option.

I hate addons, they get outdated, discontinued, they crash the game, etc. I don't like games where I feel like I'm forced to use addons, like in ESO, they don't even have an official mini map, I had to get one with addon... -shakes head- Fortunately, GW2 does not need addons. All I want in GW2 is an official way to disable certain UI elements (story tracker, exp bar, etc), this should be a thing at the game settings like in GW1.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Don't we already have 'add-ons'? Several apps using the API, even the controversial DPS meter. There was even a contest, once, long ago.I don't use any of them, but many people do, I hear.

I believe there are a few but as nice folks mentioned above, they are outdated and no one really cares for them due to these issues. :)

@RussMafia.7109 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Don't we already have 'add-ons'? Several apps using the API, even the controversial DPS meter. There was even a contest, once, long ago.I don't use any of them, but many people do, I hear.

I believe there are a few but as nice folks mentioned above, they are outdated and no one really cares for them due to these issues. :)

When did the DPS meter stop being used?

@Ashen.2907 said:

I am not sure, I do not use any addons due to not being able to find the ones that I want. It is probably still used just not by as many as possibly before...

@RussMafia.7109 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Don't we already have 'add-ons'? Several apps using the API, even the controversial DPS meter. There was even a contest, once, long ago.I don't use any of them, but many people do, I hear.

I am not sure, I do not use any addons due to not being able to find the ones that I want. It is probably still used just not by as many as possibly before...

I am really curious about your source for this. In my experience the DPS meter is nearly ubiquitous in content where dps matters. What led you to believe that it was, "outdated and no one really cares for," it?

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Don't we already have 'add-ons'? Several apps using the API, even the controversial DPS meter. There was even a contest, once, long ago.I don't use any of them, but many people do, I hear.

I am really curious about your source for this. In my experience the DPS meter is nearly ubiquitous in content where dps matters. What led you to believe that it was, "outdated and no one really cares for," it?

This is why I asked you all to comment here :) As for my experience I do not see any sort of support for the dps addons on this forum as a pined subject for new players. This third party software is not as supported as you may think it is. If you go unto the arcdps site you will find a wonderful guide on how to use it and so forth but it is not user friendly, and for some it is a turn off. As many mentioned above, what they are looking for is QoL "addons" that can be implemented into the game itself without the third party... I totally agree with them! Reference being outdated...it was a general description of all GW2 addons, not specific to DPS ( Last Update/dec.14.2018: added id for trio to defaults.) Reference caring for them, I honestly believe creators as much as users do not care for them... If they did, we would have had GW2 on twitch addon page and multiple addons available to us. The reason why they are not there is because no one is fighting for them. :)

@RussMafia.7109 said:

This is why I asked you all to comment here :) As for my experience I do not see any sort of support for the dps addons on this forum as a pined subject for new players. This third party software is not as supported as you may think it is. If you go unto the arcdps site you will find a wonderful guide on how to use it and so forth but it is not user friendly, and for some it is a turn off. As many mentioned above, what they are looking for is QoL "addons" that can be implemented into the game itself without the third party... I totally agree with them! Reference being outdated...it was a general description of all GW2 addons, not specific to DPS ( Last Update/dec.14.2018: added id for trio to defaults.) Reference caring for them, I honestly believe creators as much as users do not care for them... If they did, we would have had GW2 on twitch addon page and multiple addons available to us. The reason why they are not there is because no one is fighting for them. :)

All of which is very different than your statement, as a fact, that no one uses it.

You do not know what I think. Commenting on the unknown thoughts of others is ludicrous.

Now, so that you have information upon which to base commentary on my thoughts: I think that dps meter use is quite widespread is content where dps matters (most raid and t4 fractal groups seem to have at least one member using a meter).

So, can you provide a source to support your claim that no one cares for the dps meter?

As Danikat says, allowing add-ons creates an incentive for developers not to put functionality into the base game. I am in favor of consumers holding businesses to higher standards, not enabling businesses to cut corners and self half-kittened products for premium prices.

So, no, I am not in favor. For that matter, I also believe that ANet should create its own DPS meter if it's going to allow such to be available at all.

@Ashen.2907 said:

All of which is very different than your statement, as a fact, that no one uses it.

You do not know what I think. Commenting on the unknown thoughts of others is ludicrous.

Now, so that you have information upon which to base commentary on my thoughts: I think that dps meter use is quite widespread is content where dps matters (most raid and t4 fractal groups seem to have at least one member using a meter).

So, can you provide a source to support your claim that no one cares for the dps meter?

"I honestly believe creators as much as users do not care for them... " is obviously my opinion. I do not understand where you get that I stated "no one uses it"? Everything I have posted is simply my OPINION! Twisting words and trying to start an argument is not what I started this for. Just like me and everyone else here, YOUR statements are opinions. You do not have real statistics to prove/support your statements. There is no need to be so aggressive! If you honestly believe that people always post facts in here then you may need to take a break and head into a real world.

@zealex.9410 said:Yes. (character cap)

I guess to elaborate further. What ever takes workload off of devs and allows them to work on what matters (content) is fine by me. Also 3rd party tent to actually do a better job that the game devs themselves (since its usually a pasion project)

Would love ui addons, keybind addons, maybe an addon that adds more hotbars for items to used without openning my bags. Stuff like that.

UI customization is number 1 on my list of things I wish they'd do.Build templates is also high up there.Item skill bar for items with a use in your inventory. So you don't have to keep your inventory open to use them.Just some examples.

Quite a few QoL things that can be accomplished with a more open API that would save the devs time to work on when the community can just handle it.

There are addons currently, but they're pretty limited in scope due to how the API is set up.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:As Danikat says, allowing add-ons creates an incentive for developers not to put functionality into the base game. I am in favor of consumers holding businesses to higher standards, not enabling businesses to cut corners and self half-kittened products for premium prices.

So, no, I am not in favor. For that matter, I also believe that ANet should create its own DPS meter if it's going to allow such to be available at all.

Fallacy.

Companies will do least work to keep customers happy. If you are already happy with current state (of the UI) they have no reason to put effort to think of ways to improve. Also they have limited resources, manpower, and time. UI is apparently way down on their priority list.

Then there are counter-examples where devs added UI features after community addons became popular. Thus improving QOL for all players even without using addons.

@Zin Dau.1749 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:As Danikat says, allowing add-ons creates an incentive for developers not to put functionality into the base game. I am in favor of consumers holding businesses to higher standards, not enabling businesses to cut corners and self half-kittened products for premium prices.

So, no, I am not in favor. For that matter, I also believe that ANet should create its own DPS meter
if
it's going to allow such to be available at all.

Fallacy.

Companies will do least work to keep customers happy. If you are already happy with current state (of the UI) they have no reason to put effort to think of ways to improve. Also they have limited resources, manpower, and time. UI is apparently way down on their priority list.

Sorry, not a fallacy. Yes, companies put the least effort/resources they can get away with. It's consumers that allow them to do so. Also, where did I say I was happy with the state of the UI? I just don't want third parties working for free to do the work the company should do.

Then there are counter-examples where devs added UI features after community addons became popular. Thus improving QOL for all players even without using addons.

Other companies may have done so. However, take the DPS meter in use in GW2. If you think ANet is going to provide one... well, I don't.

@RussMafia.7109 said:

This is why I asked you all to comment here :) As for my experience I do not see any sort of support for the dps addons on this forum as a pined subject for new players. This third party software is not as supported as you may think it is. If you go unto the arcdps site you will find a wonderful guide on how to use it and so forth but it is not user friendly, and for some it is a turn off. As many mentioned above, what they are looking for is QoL "addons" that can be implemented into the game itself without the third party... I totally agree with them! Reference being outdated...it was a general description of all GW2 addons, not specific to DPS ( Last Update/dec.14.2018: added id for trio to defaults.) Reference caring for them,
I honestly believe creators as much as users do not care for them... If they did, we would have had GW2 on twitch addon page and multiple addons available to us.
The reason why they are not there is because no one is fighting for them. :)

GW2 doesn't have fewer addons that other games because no one bothers to make them, in a lot of cases no one can make them because the tools needed aren't available. For example many people have said in this topic they'd like an addon to rearrange the UI. But the API doesn't allow that kind of interaction with the game so no matter how much we might want it we can't make one. And Anet have said they have no intention of giving us the ability to make addons like that.

You may as well say obviously no one in real life wants teleporters or we'd have them by now.

No, that's how WOW became so oversaturated with screen spam. A game shouldn't require large amounts of addons to play. Healbot and deadlyboss basically meant you were on autopilot playing the game. It also forces others with slower systems to need the mods detracting from content their systems can handle. Lastly it really fuels elitism, and all that really does is further divide player base. No addons should be the goal, if you need them something with your gameplay has most likely gone wrong.

@Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:No, that's how WOW became so oversaturated with screen spam. A game shouldn't require large amounts of addons to play. Healbot and deadlyboss basically meant you were on autopilot playing the game. It also forces others with slower systems to need the mods detracting from content their systems can handle. Lastly it really fuels elitism, and all that really does is further divide player base. No addons should be the goal, if you need them something with your gameplay has most likely gone wrong.

A game shouldnt have any addons honestly

Archived