Why no pips the first week after you transfer?

Dashingsteel.3410

There are some players that will throw money at the gem store for the gems to transfer, and they do it gladly to find matches more to their liking. Since the wallet clearly doesn't limit these players, additional disincentive is required. This obviously won't keep all players from transferring - reward lockout only lasts a week - but anytime a player does rethink their server transfer, the population becomes that much more stable - as unstable as the population may already be.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:Is it supposed to be a deterent against bandwagoning?

Yes

I thought the deterent would be the 500 gems you shelled out.

Turns out that worked somewhat before links, when people wanted to transfer to high-pop worlds (with higher gem costs). Now, it's not enough because (often) you can transfer to a high pop team by transferring to a 500-gem world.

For those who are inclined to transfer every re-link, that means losing 8 days of pips every ~60 days. For those that transfer 1x year, it means losing 14 days every ~360.(I'm presuming that frequent flyers know when to change to reduce the pip loss, while infrequent swappers might suffer the maximum theoretical penalty.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Yes

Turns out that worked somewhat before links, when people wanted to transfer to high-pop worlds (with higher gem costs). Now, it's not enough because (often) you can transfer to a high pop team by transferring to a 500-gem world.

For those who are inclined to transfer every re-link, that means losing 8 days of pips every ~60 days. For those that transfer 1x year, it means losing 14 days every ~360.(I'm presuming that frequent flyers know when to change to reduce the pip loss, while infrequent swappers might suffer the maximum theoretical penalty.)

Thank you for you answer. I suspected that was it. I just wish that something could detect the frequency of your transfers. This is the only transfer I have made. Oh well, at least I know the reason : ) ty to abasedfear.6051 as well : )

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Yes

Thank you for you answer. I suspected that was it. I just wish that something could detect the frequency of your transfers. This is the only transfer I have made. Oh well, at least I know the reason : ) ty to abasedfear.6051 as well : )

Btw, you need to be in your new server for a full matchup to have the pip loss lifted... If you transfered AFTER the reset, you'll be locked for this week AND the next week too because you were in a different server the moment of reset. Most people transfer moments before reset so they can avoid a extra week of no pips.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Yes

Btw, you need to be in your new server for a full matchup to have the pip loss lifted... If you transfered AFTER the reset, you'll be locked for this week AND the next week too because you were in a different server the moment of reset. Most people transfer moments before reset so they can avoid a extra week of no pips.

Oh, that explains why sometimes I loss two weeks of pips instead of one. I thought it was a bug or maybe I remembered wrongly. Silly me.

Because it's come up in the thread:

• The best time to transfer (to minimize the duration of the penalty) is just before the matchup begins. Minimum duration: 7.1 days
  • The worst time to transfer (to minimize) is just after the matchup begins. Maximum duration: 13.9 days

Two other considerations:

• Minimizing duration isn't the only consideration. If you have more fun after moving, you're more likely to play. You might get a week of pips with the old linkage, but you'll be a week late joining the new matchup.
  • Bandwagoning requires knowing the new linkages, which requires that two things happen before the new matchups with new linkages occur: the linkages have to be announced and you have to be ready to transfer within ~10-30 minutes.

@LetoII.3782 said:Once you have all the things pips are just another thing that accrues in the bag 'o things

All the things including all the WvW skins, 3 full sets of legendary-enabled armors, the legendary back. I suspect not a lot of WvWers have all.

Problably not considering it's like 24400 tickets for three full sets of legendary armor with Mistforged skins. And I'm not even counting Warbringer.

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:You're right. 1 week of no pips is absurd.

It should be more and hopefully accumulate the more you transfer.

I've been playing since 2012 and this is my first transfer. I am curious why you think I should be given more than one week of no pips. I really don't think I deserve the one week since I am not a bandwagoner but I understand that because of bandwagoners everyone who transfers is perceived as guilty by Anet and given the pip penalty.

why would it matter if this is your first transfer or 15th? You transferred and there are small punishments put in place to attempt to keep people from transferring. I don't think Dashingsteel was saying you as a person need more weeks without pips, he's saying it needs to be more in general and on top of that each time you do transfer it needs to be higher say 4 weeks for your second transfer, and then 6 for your third and so on.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:Once you have all the things pips are just another thing that accrues in the bag 'o things

All the things including all the WvW skins, 3 full sets of legendary-enabled armors, the legendary back. I suspect not a lot of WvWers have all.

Problably not considering it's like 24400 tickets for three full sets of legendary armor with Mistforged skins. And I'm not even counting Warbringer.

I have not missed a ticket since the ticket system was implemented, and I can tell you i can make all armors (T2) and Warbringer. Also, some people had leftover tickets from waaaay back, so... It is definitely possible. But then again, I play a lot of wvw...Edit: mistforged weapon skins, obsidian skins, theres many things to collect. And Anet may introduce more stuff to buy with tickets in the future.

Upgrading from ascended to legendary is a tremendous waste of money when BiS might change once an expac.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

I have not missed a ticket since the ticket system was implemented, and I can tell you i can make all armors (T2) and Warbringer. Also, some people had leftover tickets from waaaay back, so... It is definitely possible. But then again, I play a lot of wvw...Edit: mistforged weapon skins, obsidian skins, theres many things to collect. And Anet may introduce more stuff to buy with tickets in the future.

You didn’t mention legendary armor... that’s 18 pieces @ 1095 tix each. I have also maxed every week but 1 and have lots I can buy....

@Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:why would it matter if this is your first transfer or 15th? You transferred and there are small punishments put in place to attempt to keep people from transferring. I don't think Dashingsteel was saying you as a person need more weeks without pips, he's saying it needs to be more in general and on top of that each time you do transfer it needs to be higher say 4 weeks for your second transfer, and then 6 for your third and so on.

I am going on the premise that the no pips is due to bandwagoning… so by relating that this is my only transfer since the game started and transferring before the relinks would show that I am not a bandwagoner.... Now if the no pips is not due to bandwagoning you are right my one and only transfer wouldn't be a point to bring up.

I get that anet probably doesn't have a recognition system to identify frequency or history of transfers and I am not asking that they implement one. I was just wondering if it was bandwagoning or just transfers in general that caused the no pips.

I don't think the OP needs to defend their transfer. There are plenty of people who transfer once or twice per year to play with friends who joined and didn't used to WvW (or whatever reason).

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:I get that people bandwagon it is just unfortunate to get lumped in with them.

aka this is why we can't have nice things.

@Liston.9708 said:

You didn’t mention legendary armor... that’s 18 pieces @ 1095 tix each. I have also maxed every week but 1 and have lots I can buy....

7880 tickets per legendary set, times 3= 23640. I know cause i made one leggy set, Warbringer and still have 16854 tickets left (this week included).

Its not like pips do much. Just remove the "citizen" junk and let players be happy. Its not like WvW players make any gold anyways. You could give all of us a free legendary of choosing and PvE players would have still made more money. Imagine if you had to pay 10g every time you wanted to start a raid or fractal over.

Archived