World Linking Error 21 December 2018 - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

World Linking Error 21 December 2018

Comments

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    An error was made in configuring the world links for North America. The list of linked words that was posted on 21 December 2018 was accurate. However, two links – one each meant for the Crystal Desert and Gates of Madness worlds – were accidentally applied to Yak’s Bend. We’re aware of this error and are very sorry that it took place.

Unfortunately, due to technological limitations, we cannot amend this error until the next scheduled reset, which will take place on 28 December 2018. Again, we apologize for this issue and intend to take steps to prevent this sort of problem from happening in the future.

Ok, then who do we bribe to make sure no one fights them, ever, for the next 8 weeks? Cause that's basically a free win each this week unless the other 2 servers always agree (and stick to it) to only attack the 4-strong alliance.

Wonder how this could have been avoided.... oh, maybe ditching links until we're ready to just go to the Alliance System anyway?

{edit}-- Oh, the weekly reset, not the Links reset... ok, that's not as bad. Sorry to those in that matchup, but maybe you all double team the 4-link?

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Recompense need not be about payments straight up. How about a resetted, uhm, reset?

• @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@MysticKatz.1708 said:
    In other words, ANET is on vacation for the holidays for the week so they likely don't have the staff to correct the issue or help in any way. Technical limitations is not likely an issue.

They are fixing it on the 28th

Exactly my point, they are on vacation for the week, so they are not going to fix anything until they return.

• Just another reason why we need the new system in place, ASAP. The fact there are technical limitations just proves this. I'd rather just have a full reset with everything correct than this mess we are dealing with. Guilds having to transfer just so they can play due to Anet's error is just sad.

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭

They will have to re-evaluate as GoM is rumored to be losing/lost several of their strongest WvW guilds over this.

• sostronk.8167sostronk.8167 Member ✭✭✭

Arenanet cares about WvW.

_We must secure the existence of our Quaggans and a future for Quaggan children. _

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    An error was made in configuring the world links for North America. The list of linked words that was posted on 21 December 2018 was accurate. However, two links – one each meant for the Crystal Desert and Gates of Madness worlds – were accidentally applied to Yak’s Bend. We’re aware of this error and are very sorry that it took place.

Unfortunately, due to technological limitations, we cannot amend this error until the next scheduled reset, which will take place on 28 December 2018. Again, we apologize for this issue and intend to take steps to prevent this sort of problem from happening in the future.

Thank you for the update and for the abundant amount of patience with us. Hope you and the team have a great holiday!

• Hopefully they are all enjoying their vacation while the majority of the WvW group will not be able to enjoy their free time to play, except YB server.... of course, they were over stacked last time we matched with them, and now they have taken it to a whole new level. Thanks ANET. Happy Holidays .......

• Kilo.2539Kilo.2539 Member ✭✭✭

@MysticKatz.1708 said:
    Hopefully they are all enjoying their vacation while the majority of the WvW group will not be able to enjoy their free time to play, except YB server.... of course, they were over stacked last time we matched with them, and now they have taken it to a whole new level. Thanks ANET. Happy Holidays .......

YB player here.. I hate this more than you. I would rather be outnumbered than steamrolling everything.

• @Kilo.2539 said:

@MysticKatz.1708 said:
    Hopefully they are all enjoying their vacation while the majority of the WvW group will not be able to enjoy their free time to play, except YB server.... of course, they were over stacked last time we matched with them, and now they have taken it to a whole new level. Thanks ANET. Happy Holidays .......

YB player here.. I hate this more than you. I would rather be outnumbered than steamrolling everything.

It really isn't fun on either side, however it is very clear that Anet is certainly not concerned about the WvW based players. I had taken a break for years from this game, perhaps it is time for another one.

• Lady Sapphirah.6234Lady Sapphirah.6234 Member ✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018

@Kilo.2539 said:

@Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:

@Ni In.6578 said:
    @Gaile Gray.6029 Can CD and GoM get a special title for this mistake: "Lonely"?

Why BG was alone for YEARS and never got a title for it.

That’s because they stacked the server and ultimately got us into the mess we’re in today.

Yeah but then again you have to remember BG also lots about 7 guilds since linking became a thing, so I don't know why everyone is still blaming a server that is only holding on a thin string.

OMG, THEY GOT A LINK sorry you don't like them. And I am happy to see them get a link, their small (er) wvw community has been through hell these last few months to a year losing about 7 guilds and being locked for 2 years straight, no new players. Hell even on the small window of a mistake opening a few months ago, Agg moved over and they left cause they couldn't get their people in...

Lolz... Please stop.

BG was stacked and closed for ages and never lost until, I think it was JQ and SBI stacked, doubled up and beat them one week (cant be stuffed looking back to make sure who it was). When that happened BG started to bleed and lose.... why? Oh yeah because BG had transferred themselves full of players who just wanted to be in T1 and win.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Thank you for the update. To bad GW Leadership won't fix their error. I appreciate you staying on top of this issue, you can only do what you can. Merry Xmas.

• @Lady Sapphirah.6234 said:

@Kilo.2539 said:

@Ni In.6578 said:

That’s because they stacked the server and ultimately got us into the mess we’re in today.

Yeah but then again you have to remember BG also lots about 7 guilds since linking became a thing, so I don't know why everyone is still blaming a server that is only holding on a thin string.

OMG, THEY GOT A LINK sorry you don't like them. And I am happy to see them get a link, their small (er) wvw community has been through hell these last few months to a year losing about 7 guilds and being locked for 2 years straight, no new players. Hell even on the small window of a mistake opening a few months ago, Agg moved over and they left cause they couldn't get their people in...

Lolz... Please stop.

BG was stacked and closed for ages and never lost until, I think it was JQ and SBI stacked, doubled up and beat them one week (cant be stuffed looking back to make sure who it was). When that happened BG started to bleed and lose.... why? Oh yeah because BG had transferred themselves full of players who just wanted to be in T1 and win.

Actually it was when KN got their 3 links and SoS had their link so a 5v1 was great fun, they had already lost their guilds and still remained locked. And people had transferred to BG 6 years ago... being locked for nearly the last 3 aside from the small window of opportunity that had zero impact on that server. Seems like a lot of people are just pissy they have a stronger base than most servers, its been years. So please stop trying to make it about being 1 single servers fault for everything wrong with wvw.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 Appreciate the update, and all things considered I think it's fair that it will take a week to address.

Only concern I have is there has allegedly been a large influx of players switch servers to one of these linked servers with YB, and if not taken into account the server that gets linked with that server may be overpowered subsequently. I am not sure about the details, but I think its something that may need to be looked at before the problem is addressed to prevent any other further complications.

Thanks again,

Yender

• @MysticKatz.1708 said:

@Kilo.2539 said:

@MysticKatz.1708 said:

It really isn't fun on either side, however it is very clear that Anet is certainly not concerned about the WvW based players. I had taken a break for years from this game, perhaps it is time for another one.

Not that anyone outside the matchup would have been paying atention, but if you check the recent history you'll see that last time YB played SoS YB was destroyed by SoS in what was effectively a two-team match, the third being SoR, which was in total freefall. As a YB player I would say that being overrun for a week and barely owning anything was more fun than this week's reversal. Obviously the ideal would be something in the middle. At least my EBay account got relinked from YB this time so I have an alternative.

I strongly suspect that this week is a foretaste of things to come when (if) the Alliance system comes. It may work in fits and starts but between errors and mistakes, the eight week turnaround and players' inevitably finding ways to game the system, I foresee many bad weeks.

• Malafaia.8903Malafaia.8903 Member ✭✭✭✭

Oh, hey, we kitten up big time, it's a critical error, really.
    Just wait one week and we'll fix it.

That's sad. Really sad.

• MysticKatz.1708MysticKatz.1708 Member ✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018
  • Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Farout.8207 said:
    Technical limitations, lol. Don't insult our intelligence, just call it what it is. People are spending time with their families and this isn't important enough to call them back in. Honestly that is fine with me, it's really not that big of a deal, but don't blame it on technical limitations. If it can be fixed on the 28th it could have been fixed on the 21st. Enjoy your holiday Anet but don't be disingenuous about it.

Well, they can't just flip a switch and do a relinking. That IS a technical limitation. As well as the system that they've worked out. I'm sure the entire cycle would get messed up the moment you relink outside the planned schedule/reset day.

Very passive aggressively chuckling, because I'm totally not mad on the Internet.

• There is precedent of anet 4 linking servers that were already stacked in certain timezones, so just be happy they aren't making us all ride out 8 weeks of this ;)

imm0rtal - YB4life

• Farout.8207Farout.8207 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Farout.8207 said:
    Technical limitations, lol. Don't insult our intelligence, just call it what it is. People are spending time with their families and this isn't important enough to call them back in. Honestly that is fine with me, it's really not that big of a deal, but don't blame it on technical limitations. If it can be fixed on the 28th it could have been fixed on the 21st. Enjoy your holiday Anet but don't be disingenuous about it.

Well, they can't just flip a switch and do a relinking. That IS a technical limitation. As well as the system that they've worked out. I'm sure the entire cycle would get messed up the moment you relink outside the planned schedule/reset day.

They have been linking WvW servers for almost three years now. As someone who has been working in IT for over twenty years I can gaurantee you that any task that has been reoccurring on a regular basis for the past 32 months is pretty much automated, so yeah it's basically a switch in the IT world.

Like I said, it's Christmas time and I don't want to deny anyone time with their family but it is slightly aggravating that the week I have off work we are facing the four server megablob. I'm sure it sucks for our opponents as well, nobody likes a completely lopsided match especially during a break when they have a little extra time to play.

~Cleetus

• Idk why Anet would want to pair ET server with BG. When BG can climb to T1 SMH!!! Honestly, at this point just re-shuffle every server with BG having no pair. Cuz you guys don't tell WvW is fix by BG winning all matches.

• I can't believe this ANet. First you DELINK my server and cause all our guilds to transfer off and then you MISSPELL my server's name in an OFFICIAL response. It's "GATE OF MADNESS". Not "GATES OF MADNESS". Please be more considerate in future updates and responses.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

Looking at how it unfolded out in T3, the 4 servers combined seems to have just enough people playing all throughout the day that there are groups to run with. Aside from the ridiculous ques on reset, coverage seems to be just right.

Perhaps Anet should abandon the 4 Tiers and move to a 2 Tier system instead, combining 12 servers per tier into 2 tiers making it essentially a 4 server vs 4 server vs 4 server match. Try that out and see what the numbers are like throughout the week and if ques remain too high with that many players at once. If it works, it wouldn't hurt to leave it that way till alliances are ready.

• @DeadlySynz.3471 said:
    Looking at how it unfolded out in T3, the 4 servers combined seems to have just enough people playing all throughout the day that there are groups to run with. Aside from the ridiculous ques on reset, coverage seems to be just right.

Perhaps Anet should abandon the 4 Tiers and move to a 2 Tier system instead, combining 12 servers per tier into 2 tiers making it essentially a 4 server vs 4 server vs 4 server match. Try that out and see what the numbers are like throughout the week and if ques remain too high with that many players at once. If it works, it wouldn't hurt to leave it that way till alliances are ready.

In my opinion, 2-tier system will make matches so dull. Only one host server will go up and only one another will go down. Many people don't like T1 or T4 for that specific reason. Thus, 2-tier system might hurt WvW in general due to lackluster matches, very high ques on prime times, more frequent server-wide skill lags, etc. Having said that, coverage across all host servers will increase greatly because the players are divided into 6 host servers instead of 12.

But with regarding to GoM and CD situation, perhaps, new relink might be necessary if there were lot of transfers because of the mishap.

Frozen

• Calli.6309Calli.6309 Member ✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018

@Izaak.3945 said:
    What was the root cause of this linking issue?

What precautions are being taken so this does not happen in the future?

THIS. When SoR became a first-time host it lost its link too and that's how the server died now. Is there a bug where when a server becomes a host for the first time it loses its link?

Like right now it's so clear because 4 servers are linked into one. But what about if a server becomes a host and loses its link when it apparently doesn't have enough population to stand on its own? Because if it's a bug, then it could have been happening even before this one.

• Shining One.1635Shining One.1635 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018

@Calli.6309 said:
    THIS. When SoR became a first-time host it lost its link too and that's how the server died now. Is there a bug where when a server becomes a host for the first time it loses its link?

SoR did not immediately go without a link when it became a host.
    July > August - SoR was a link to HoD
    September > October - SoR was a host with IoJ (I believe) as a link
    November > December - SoR was a host with no link

• Heibi.4251Heibi.4251 Member ✭✭✭

@Shining One.1635 said:

@Calli.6309 said:

SoR did not immediately go without a link when it became a host.
    July > August - SoR was a link to HoD
    September > October - SoR was a host with IoJ (I believe) as a link
    November > December - SoR was a host with no link

That's what happens when the bandwagon hits a server. And once the steam went out of their engine the wheels came off and they transferred again. It's happened again and again to servers in WvW.

Henge of Denravi Commander
    CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lady Sapphirah.6234 said:

@Kilo.2539 said:

@Ni In.6578 said:

Lolz... Please stop.

Actually it was when KN got their 3 links and SoS had their link so a 5v1 was great fun, they had already lost their guilds and still remained locked. And people had transferred to BG 6 years ago... being locked for nearly the last 3 aside from the small window of opportunity that had zero impact on that server. Seems like a lot of people are just pissy they have a stronger base than most servers, its been years. So please stop trying to make it about being 1 single servers fault for everything wrong with wvw.

Bloatgate going on a recruiting spree after every loss did indeed cause a lot of persistent problems in WvW

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• Darlgon.9273Darlgon.9273 Member ✭✭✭

Thats OK. I got the chance to see all three BLs, towers, keeps and garrisions, plus SMC the color of Yak's Bend. Not every day you get to see that.

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018

@SkyShroud.2865 said:
    Morning world!

Let's see. Looks like the long weekend is just.....gonna be sad long weekend for some who did not plan for a short vacation.

I do hope that the relink will not follow the planned relink as the planned relink is based on a dated population data. I am confident that many have transferred due to this incident thus the link should be reviewed to ensure that the population disparity between servers is at the optimal range.

I hope anet understood clearly that furthermore mismanagement will simply enrage your players and angry players are not gonna be pleasing.

Answered

PS: Feel free to stack yo. Another sad 2 months of linking.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Ni In.6578Ni In.6578 Member ✭✭✭

So CD lost CL (fairly significant guild), VR transferred off of Mag (potentially temporarily)... Yet we'll end up in the same links.

[VII] Spectre Legacy - Declared Best NA Guild by Grimaldi
    Crystal Desert Consul Member and President of Scrubs; declared most toxic server NA by Z E Y
    [VII] wants fights! Please bring your pug rangers for UD progress.

• hunkamania.7561hunkamania.7561 Member ✭✭✭✭

So they are not fixing their mistakes?

Ferguson's Crossing Server Leader

WVW LEADER

VR

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018

@Ni In.6578 said:
    So CD lost CL (fairly significant guild), VR transferred off of Mag (potentially temporarily)... Yet we'll end up in the same links.

Well, I guess T4 might be all the servers that Arena Net messed up with this link... I honestly don't see much potential in YB with only FC as it's link since a bunch of people that were here just to coat tail KN alliance already moved either to DR (KN link) or to ET (to coat tail BG)

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• BG has won every skirmish, YB has lost 1 and BG is the legit link. BG has more points than the other SBI, CD combined by far. I am on SBI and GOM. Fun times and many trips back to spawn. I never have to repair my armor.

• As a Dragonbrand resident, I'm sorry for the other servers affected by this. I can empathize from my position. We are queued with HoD, YB and FC and me and my guildmates came out on reset night and we were basically confined to our home BLs with nothing to do except chase the same 3-4 roamers at their spawn. Our entire home BL was capped and we couldn't even sniff the other BLs. EB had a queue of 100+! The rest 60 and 40.

I guess all the other servers just get a big lump of coal this Christmas.

• Liston.9708Liston.9708 Member ✭✭✭

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    As a Dragonbrand resident, I'm sorry for the other servers affected by this. I can empathize from my position. We are queued with HoD, YB and FC and me and my guildmates came out on reset night and we were basically confined to our home BLs with nothing to do except chase the same 3-4 roamers at their spawn. Our entire home BL was capped and we couldn't even sniff the other BLs. EB had a queue of 100+! The rest 60 and 40.

I guess all the other servers just get a big lump of coal this Christmas.

I have accounts on both sides of the match. As bad as it is for blue, playing green is far worse. Q ebg or nothing to do for long stretches of the day (at least when I play)

• This entire relink is a joke. There's no way in this universe that BG needed a link server at all and something has definitely happened to the population of the BG server. We have been matched up against them several times in T1 and they were always very good and respectful players. What I saw today when I logged in was atrocious. BG practically owns everything including nearly every keep and garrison and are in EBG spawn camping SBI players with siege. No way to even get out of spawn as they hit you with the siege as soon as you try any of the three exits. This is not the BG I remember from previous matchups. No wonder CD isn't showing up this week. If BG keeps at this pace and Anet does nothing about it, people on CD and SBI/IoJ will not play for the next 9 weeks or will play very sparingly at best. No one wants to play when they can't accomplish everything because they can't even get out of their spawn locations.

• Farout.8207Farout.8207 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe Anet is using the gems bought for transfers to fund their Christmas bonuses.

~Cleetus

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mystic Moon Maiden.3786 said:
    This entire relink is a joke. There's no way in this universe that BG needed a link server at all and something has definitely happened to the population of the BG server. We have been matched up against them several times in T1 and they were always very good and respectful players. What I saw today when I logged in was atrocious. BG practically owns everything including nearly every keep and garrison and are in EBG spawn camping SBI players with siege. No way to even get out of spawn as they hit you with the siege as soon as you try any of the three exits. This is not the BG I remember from previous matchups. No wonder CD isn't showing up this week. If BG keeps at this pace and Anet does nothing about it, people on CD and SBI/IoJ will not play for the next 9 weeks or will play very sparingly at best. No one wants to play when they can't accomplish everything because they can't even get out of their spawn locations.

They won’t be matched against BG for 9 weeks. It’s one up, one down.

• Ni In.6578Ni In.6578 Member ✭✭✭

@hunkamania.7561 said:
    So they are not fixing their mistakes?

Correct. They will fix the links but not reevaluate based on population.

[VII] Spectre Legacy - Declared Best NA Guild by Grimaldi
    Crystal Desert Consul Member and President of Scrubs; declared most toxic server NA by Z E Y
    [VII] wants fights! Please bring your pug rangers for UD progress.

• Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018

This re-linking error not only affects CD and GoM, for some strange reasons and i believe it's no error, they gave BG a link, making BG once again King of T1 for the next two months. BG by itself is already consistantly moving in and out of T1 and yet ANet feel the need to give them a link?

Now BG is so fat that they have won every skirmish since re-link and have been camping enemies Garri Keep for more than 10 hour now. And this is happening on a week long holiday break for most players. Well done ANet!

I guess what many players are saying is true that ANet doesn't care much about WvW, and instead of actually being there to observe what is really happening, ANet chose to rely on the forum cry wolves to make their decisions on linking.

• Trajan.4953Trajan.4953 Member ✭✭✭

You know it's funny no matter how much people blow wind on the forums guilds continue to transfer whenever they want. It's almost like guilds are their own entity

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.