Different earrings?

Daddicus.6128

Ascended earrings are (generally) unique. So, you can't equip two of the same kind.

I realize this was done for game-balance issues. But, it's also logic- and fashion-defying. Why would someone ever wear two DIFFERENT earrings? I can see someone wearing a single earring, but two that don't match? My wife would have fit.

So, how about changing that? Is it really THAT important to game balance?

If it turns out to be unbalancing, can we at least be able to re-skin them?

@"Daddicus.6128" said:So, how about changing that? Is it really THAT important to game balance?It was, in the past. And frankly, gameplay should always trump any concerns we have to match the real world. Tyrian fashion sense needn't match ours and it's awesome that having a full inventory doesn't slow our characters down or affect their balance, like it would if we overfilled our "bags."

Regardless, uniqueness no longer has any balancing value: anyone with access to either expansion has easy access to double accessories & double rings with identical stats; anyone who fractals, WvWs, or PvPs also has access.

It seems to me that all they'd need to do is remove the 'flag' of unique = yes on all rings & all accessories. (To be fair, that's not free: it's easy enough to write scripts to change something likes; it's the verification & testing that distracts the most from other projects. So it's a simple change, but not necessarily cheap or convenient to implement.)

@Daddicus.6128 said:Ascended earrings are (generally) unique. So, you can't equip two of the same kind.

I realize this was done for game-balance issues. But, it's also logic- and fashion-defying. Why would someone ever wear two DIFFERENT earrings? I can see someone wearing a single earring, but two that don't match? My wife would have fit.

I don't see this as an issue simply because they are not visible on your character. If they were visually there then you'd have a point... but they're not.

The uniqueness rule stems back to when ascended was first introduced to the game a few months after launch. The reason being that there used to be two different kinds of infusion slot (offensive and defensive), so there was one accessory/ring per infusion type per stat type.

Since that's no longer the case, there's no technical reason for the uniqueness rule. Lore wise though, ascended trinkets are suppose to be rare treasures, so equipping two of the same on a single character would diminish their... well... uniqueness. Also not all accessories are earrings, and they don't have physical models anyways.

@jwaz.1908 said:The uniqueness rule stems back to when ascended was first introduced to the game a few months after launch. The reason being that there used to be two different kinds of infusion slot (offensive and defensive), so there was one accessory/ring per infusion type per stat type.

Since that's no longer the case, there's no technical reason for the uniqueness rule. Lore wise though, ascended trinkets are suppose to be rare treasures, so equipping two of the same on a single character would diminish their... well... uniqueness. Also not all accessories are earrings, and they don't have physical models anyways.

That may be the original reason but it may not be the only one as it fills another purpose: It keeps multiple daily maps relevant instead of just the easiest/fastest. You have to farm different maps this way. To get two rings and two earrings I think you need to farm 3 maps. If you could equip the same people would just farm winterberries.

@Gehenna.3625 said:That may be the original reason but it may not be the only one as it fills another purpose: It keeps multiple daily maps relevant instead of just the easiest/fastest. You have to farm different maps this way. To get two rings and two earrings I think you need to farm 3 maps. If you could equip the same people would just farm winterberries.

That could be one reason they've kept the rule, though you have to realize the only way to get ascended trinkets used to be fractals for rings, guild missions for accessories, and laurels for amulets.

@jwaz.1908 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:That may be the original reason but it may not be the only one as it fills another purpose: It keeps multiple daily maps relevant instead of just the easiest/fastest. You have to farm different maps this way. To get two rings and two earrings I think you need to farm 3 maps. If you could equip the same people would just farm winterberries.

That could be one reason they've kept the rule, though you have to realize the only way to get ascended trinkets used to be fractals for rings, guild missions for accessories, and laurels for amulets.

Sure and with regards to that time you're right. It's just that when the started coming out with the LS daily maps in HoT, it seems to me the reason for it changed as their approach to ascended trinkets also changed. I suspect it had to do with not that many people doing fractals but giving more people something to work towards.

It does seem a little pointless, especially because for rings, and attuned or infused version is different from each other as well as the base. So only if you were doing fractals and wanted attuned + infused would this become an issue for rings again.For earrings, since they can't be attuned or infused, one is stuck. But the restriction seems a bit pointless now.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Daddicus.6128" said:So, how about changing that? Is it really THAT important to game balance?It was, in the past. And frankly, gameplay should always trump any concerns we have to match the real world. Tyrian fashion sense needn't match ours and it's awesome that having a full inventory doesn't slow our characters down or affect their balance, like it would if we overfilled our "bags."

Regardless,
uniqueness
no longer has any balancing value: anyone with access to either expansion has easy access to double accessories & double rings with identical stats; anyone who fractals, WvWs, or PvPs also has access.

It seems to me that all they'd need to do is remove the 'flag' of
on all rings & all accessories. (To be fair, that's not free: it's easy enough to write scripts to change something likes; it's the verification & testing that distracts the most from other projects. So it's a simple change, but not necessarily cheap or convenient to implement.)

Good points.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:Ascended earrings are (generally) unique. So, you can't equip two of the same kind.

I don't see this as an issue simply because they are not visible on your character. If they were visually there then you'd have a point... but they're not.

Oops! I failed to actually look. I just assumed they were there.

My bad.

The accessories from raids, fractals (the new ones, with selectable stats) and wvw aren't unique. And they aren't because raiders (rightly) complained and Anet removed the unique flag from their stuff. Similarily, there's no reason whatsoever for the original rings and trinkets from fractals to remain unique - the only reason they remain such is because Anet doesn't revisit old content if they absolutely don't have to. Which is hardly a good reason for not making that change.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

Oops! I failed to actually look. I just assumed they were there.

My bad.No worries. I can't even begin to count the things I didn't realise about this game lol. I especially like the moment I found out you could right click salvage tools and salvage all items in your inventory in one go instead of doing it one by one. That was slightly embarrassing to find out after so much time hehe.

But yeh, you can't see them, which in a way is a shame but there it is.

Archived