Question regarding shocking aura nerf and replacing with stormsoul

Axl.8924

It's a pure pve trait now. It may have some value in lightning rod builds, but cdr and ferocity is much better choice there IMO.

The reason of removal TD? Anet removed traits that CC's enemies when they CC you, on all classes.

The reason of SS? Who knows...Maybe they do something about it in the next patch like they did with mesmer once, but I doubt it (might on illusions did absolutely nothing, ele at least has a few stuns so the trait is not completely worthless).

Was it good change? Atm no, it's worse trait than TD.

Since this thread is already here too and I don't want to spam, what do you guys think is the best combo to maximize damage with stormsoul?

2 overload lightning combos in a row on top of each other by combining lets say glyph of storms?

I heard the stun is 0,25 second from overload or quarter of a second, but I don't know. is that enough to benefit from? seems rather short and hard to pinpoint around.

@Axl.8924 Overload Air (I assume you mean air and not lightning) does not apply a stun. At best, it can apply a stun by giving you a shocking aura at the end of its 4 second long cast if you trait Unstable Conduit. I'm not entirely sure where you even plan to use this because in pvp and wvw you will generally be cced or killed before finishing your overload, not to mention people don't care about their target's auras, and there's not much reason to use Shocking Aura as a stun in pve.

You might be able to get some benefit from Stormsoul in a FA Weaver build by hitting enemies after using something like Earthen Synergy, but good luck doing that with such a slow cast. @"steki.1478" hit the nail on the head there by saying "it's a pure pve trait now." It's a reasonable option there if you're fighting something with a break bar, but grab something else if you're fighting players.

To be honnest, even in PvE you wouldn't want to use it. I know that breakbar make it seem alluring but in reality the breakbar phase is way to short to allow this trait to be meaningfull there.

Reality is that it's now just a sligthly punishing trait to players that eat a CC. It theoretically allow the elementalist to have an increased burst on careless players without stunbreak. That said, there is no build that allow the elementalist enough CC uptime to make it "viable". Maybe next e-spec will be full of skills that daze allowing some stunlocking ability and thus making the trait worse taking it but, right now, whatever the gamemode, that's not the case.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:To be honnest, even in PvE you wouldn't want to use it. I know that breakbar make it seem alluring but in reality the breakbar phase is way to short to allow this trait to be meaningfull there.

Reality is that it's now just a sligthly punishing trait to players that eat a CC. It theoretically allow the elementalist to have an increased burst on careless players without stunbreak. That said, there is no build that allow the elementalist enough CC uptime to make it "viable". Maybe next e-spec will be full of skills that daze allowing some stunlocking ability and thus making the trait worse taking it but, right now, whatever the gamemode, that's not the case.

So from what I gather from what you said, the discretize build is also inaccurate too.

In discretize they take stormsoul, but yeah it makes sense that its probably not just yet worthy of being taken.

@Axl.8924 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:To be honnest, even in PvE you wouldn't want to use it. I know that breakbar make it seem alluring but in reality the breakbar phase is way to short to allow this trait to be meaningfull there.

So from what I gather from what you said, the discretize build is also inaccurate too.

In discretize they take stormsoul, but yeah it makes sense that its probably not just yet worthy of being taken.

Last time the discretize builds were updated was before the change of tempest defense so... Thought they might find it better than the other options for builds that don't rely to much on air magic. They even say it, take aeromancer's training if you can't benefit from tempest defense and _inscription can be taken as a niche trait if you rely more on glyphs.

Discretize would probably still use it because burst with it might be higher than aeromancer. However, they can phase boss after one CC, pugs cant. The longer the boss is alive, the less value on stormsoul's damage part. You also spend a long time in air with FA tempest, so theres no reason not to use aeromancer for free ferocity and cdr.

SS also doesnt change your rotation, you only have warhorn 5 on bigger cooldown. The only point of SS is saving your burst for when breakbar is broken (precast when it's about to break), but you should do that all the time anyway.

@steki.1478 said:Discretize would probably still use it because burst with it might be higher than aeromancer. However, they can phase boss after one CC, pugs cant. The longer the boss is alive, the less value on stormsoul's damage part. You also spend a long time in air with FA tempest, so theres no reason not to use aeromancer for free ferocity and cdr.

SS also doesnt change your rotation, you only have warhorn 5 on bigger cooldown. The only point of SS is saving your burst for when breakbar is broken (precast when it's about to break), but you should do that all the time anyway.

Maybe it would be really good in spvp, since you will be seeing lots of cc, and your team can coordinate stuns immobs etc, so it might be for pvp.

Archived