redesign racial skills

Balsa.3951

a lot of those skills have beautiful animations they are pushed back by being unusable with high recharge time

I say don't waste them take a look at them make them pve world open only and let them be a fun thing to fill the gabs certain professions have.

no need to waste those

ps also rethink the mist wolf its a beautiful designed skill/pet give him to a ranger but don't waste that beauty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with racials is that they are race exclusive and depending on balance ppl could be feel forced to play some specific race, and limiting them only to ow would be a waste imho.

I think if they were to make racials relevant they would need to allow all races to gain acess to all racials.

Maybe with race specific masteries or smth in this game (to sort of resemble the reputations from the first game)

Personally id like if racials were buffed to relevance, it would add more to gameplay and maybe add some content (farming the racials on your characters)

@LucianDK.8615 said:Racials needs to remain fluff only for balance reasons. Look at WoW with its endless warring over racial balance and people mercilessly racechanging back and forth depending on whats just 1% stronger.

Also not to forget that Revenants cant even use them at all.

It really doesnt, even gw1 had solved this issue with the ability to learn all racials as humans (back then)

@zealex.9410 said:The problem with racials is that they are race exclusive and depending on balance ppl could be feel forced to play some specific race, and limiting them only to ow would be a waste imho.

I think if they were to make racials relevant they would need to allow all races to gain acess to all racials.

Maybe with race specific masteries or smth in this game (to sort of resemble the reputations from the first game)

Personally id like if racials were buffed to relevance, it would add more to gameplay and maybe add some content (farming the racials on your characters)

I love this idea.

Buff racials, but any race can train with the other race to gain their skills. So if they become viable, they'll be accessible by all.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Racials needs to remain fluff only for balance reasons. Look at WoW with its endless warring over racial balance and people mercilessly racechanging back and forth depending on whats just 1% stronger.

As to the first bit that could be solved by making all races able to learn all racials, but yea, Revenant cant use them and that alone is a reason enough to not make them better.

@Dante.1763 said:

As to the first bit that could be solved by making all races able to learn all racials, but yea, Revenant cant use them and that alone is a reason enough to not make them better.

Thats silly imo, why cant a human rev use human racials lul. Maybe with the racial rework they will allow rev to use them, like with when the uw rework came they allowed them to use legends underwater.

@Dante.1763 said:

That is the cost of playing revenant and getting 2x heal, utilities, and elites.

@zealex.9410 said:

Thats silly imo, why cant a human rev use human racials lul. Maybe with the racial rework they will allow rev to use them, like with when the uw rework came they allowed them to use legends underwater.

Cause of the energy mechanics more than likely, also the skills being tied to the legend and not being able to swap them out for other skills. Also i highly doubt they will let Revs use racial skills, ever.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

That is the cost of playing revenant and getting 2x heal, utilities, and elites.

If that was the case, eles, and engineers wouldnt be able to use them either, cause lol 4x weapon skills for ele, and kits for Engi. No, im pretty sure it had to do with them not fitting into how the revenant works mechanically.

i loved the early days when people actually used racials,they even worked in spvp, sylvari would be dropping turrets and rooting people,norns would use the occasional bearform, asurans were using their stuff like technobabble,humans were summoning bathazaar dogs,it was way more interesting than now.

also on a side note, i'd like for norns to get a form that they focus on (like the norn characters in the lore which get a specific spirit)and after some quests i'd like for them to get an out of combat transform skill to become that form for RP (like bearform for example)

Oh look, one of these threads again.

For the millionth time:

• no it won't happen since the original intent was for racial skill to be fluff and not affect choice of race. This intent has not changed
  • no because balancing around an even bigger pool of skills is not something Arenanets small balance team will willingly work themselves into
  • no because even if you make racial skills available to all classes (which I personally think is a great idea) would just exacerbate the problem even more
  • no because Arenanet has been very swift in nerfing racial skills which were kind of useful in the past
  • revenant as a class has no access to racial skills at all and changing this would be a balancing nightmare

There is absolutely 0 chance of this changing. This was the case 6 years ago and this will be the case X years from now.

EDIT: the Mistfire Wolf is a digital deluxe or collectors edition skill and even if it looks amazing, chance of this skill being made useful are even lower than any changes to racial skills.

@Dante.1763 said:

Cause of the energy mechanics more than likely, also the skills being tied to the legend and not being able to swap them out for other skills. Also i highly doubt they will let Revs use racial skills, ever.

If that was the case, eles, and engineers wouldnt be able to use them either, cause lol 4x weapon skills for ele, and kits for Engi. No, im pretty sure it had to do with them not fitting into how the revenant works mechanically.

Energy doesnt have much to with this. In a scenario wher u'd swap out a legend utility for a racial not much would change. Same for the bar swap, its the sort of mechanic of rev that resemples multibars like from engi and ele, to that extend you could prob have it to where you would equip a racial on 1 legend and have the nornal utils on the other and swaping legends would swap the racial as well. (or choose to have the same racial on both utility bars instead if tou would use it often)

Throwing an idea out there. Maybe you could get a large cooldown decrease if you unslot your other utilities? I mean, people who use this stuff do it for looks rather than efficiancy anyway. Or maybe have a "racial mode" (similar to Berserker Mode) where you only have access to these abilities. Maybe lock it behind a kit and add an (interuptable) cast time to make it useless when you've already entered battle?

There are pleanty of ways to do this, the question is are they viable?

@Dante.1763 said:

My point is that Revenants cant use any Racials anyway, so adding more racials that they cant use is moot. That is why that have 2 full heal/utility/elite bars to play with.

Engineers currently can use racials, so this isnt the same situation.

@Warobaz.9543 said:It was already suggested in another thread that these skills should dissappear totally to be replaced with out of combat fluff that would be tied to whatever keys you prefer, and accessible to everyone, even Revenants !/oprah.gif

hey, by the way, could racial finishers be a thing ?

As long as they remain _racial _and don't become accesible by all races, this would be my preference. :)

As others have presented well-reaaoned posts against buffed racial skills, I'll choose not to comment.

On the Mistfire Wolf, however... Yes, please. Here's my firstborn.

While I would prefer it as an actual ranger pet, I believe a reasonably nerfed Minion version of the skill would be much better than what we currently have.

Agree you need to have all the racials have value so you don't end up with a one size fits all. But the racial abilities should add in another dimension into the character. That was a positive selling experience to the game and its one that most MMOs run with. Each race should have differing options that enhance builds. As far as the Rev, if these were added as new racial only slots outside of the current utilities and elites that would resolve that issue. Most people key-bind and it wouldn't impact us clickers if another 1-3 buttons were added. Now granted I am alt-o-holic so adding another reason to mix and match and create more toons only sounds like fun to me.

But yes I hear peoples concern's on balance but that will always be an issue. The day the game is balanced is the day it closes down. Another developer once said something like if it was balanced that means I am not creating new content and people will be bored and leave, so no don't expect a perfect balance because we need to always evolve. GW2 is the same, living means growth and pain. So +5 here from a player that creates the same class with differing races already. Good gaming to all!

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:Agree you need to have all the racials have value so you don't end up with a one size fits all. But the racial abilities should add in another dimension into the character. That was a positive selling experience to the game and its one that most MMOs run with. Each race should have differing options that enhance builds. As far as the Rev, if these were added as new racial only slots outside of the current utilities and elites that would resolve that issue. Most people key-bind and it wouldn't impact us clickers if another 1-3 buttons were added. Now granted I am alt-o-holic so adding another reason to mix and match and create more toons only sounds like fun to me.

But yes I hear peoples concern's on balance but that will always be an issue. The day the game is balanced is the day it closes down. Another developer once said something like if it was balanced that means I am not creating new content and people will be bored and leave, so no don't expect a perfect balance because we need to always evolve. GW2 is the same, living means growth and pain. So +5 here from a player that creates the same class with differing races already. Good gaming to all!

While I can agree with the general gist and idea of what you are saying, there is a difference between balance when it affects all classes and when it forces specific races.

I personally have 29 maxed (and minimum exotic geared characters, all different race and class combinations) so I could care less if a race suddenly becomes overpowered or "must play" (given I have 3 legendary armors and 20-30 full ascended sets as either sets or tokens). It would even be a great way for Arenanet to sell more character slots and force people to either re-roll or shell out money for a new character slot to make class X of race Y. Somehow I doubt that would go over well with a majority of the player base though.

On the same note, what happens when a balance change suddenly mixes things up again. People now have to again purchase more character slots or remake characters. An absolutely amazing idea to improve monetization for the game. Terrible from a balance and fun perspective. Unless they offer race changes (which the official word is: not going to happen since to difficult). Which I guess would also be a great way to get more money out of players.

Maybe I was missing the point of these threads all these years. Maybe people just want Arenanet to be able to make more money. In that case, sure, let's ask for buffs to racial skills.

Racial skills need their own specific slot ( f8,f7,f6), and if needed disable them in some areas/game modes (like glider and mounts).

They should add attainable racial skills you can get through quests (a way to fill in the gap if one race ends up being lacking compared to the others).

They should introduce a race changing item in the gem store.

And then, please make Tengus playable :D

Archived