terrifying to find out the cost of new weps

We honestly dont know if the price of anything will skyrocket. With the amount of feedback they got(95% of it negative) when it came to the use of Sigils in the armor, i doubt theyd pick something that has no means of getting it besides leveling.

(Also, as a "whale", i didnt buy a bloody sigil. They got bought up by the people who rushed through the content in the first 2 hours and realized what they took.).

@"PlagueParade.7942" said:The armor set from this last episode exploded in cost with the null sigils price guage (most likely bought up by the whales of the game). Now we have these new weps coming out and once again prices will sky rocket for a necessary item. Peoples, best be in game asap and find out the costs to purchase. Good luck all.

The term "whales" in a video game refers to players who spend a lot of RL cash on game-store items. The term for players who play the TP is "flippers."

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@"PlagueParade.7942" said:The armor set from this last episode exploded in cost with the null sigils price guage (most likely bought up by the whales of the game). Now we have these new weps coming out and once again prices will sky rocket for a necessary item. Peoples, best be in game asap and find out the costs to purchase. Good luck all.

The term "whales" in a video game refers to players who spend a lot of RL cash on game-store items. The term for players who play the TP is "flippers."

Or those of us who have had too much food these last few days

groan

@Randulf.7614 said:

Or those of us who have had too much food these last few days

groan

Have a thumbs up.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:The term for players who play the TP is "flippers."No, not everyone who makes their money off the TP "flips" anything. Generically, I'd just use the term "power trader" to cover ...

• Those who buy near the highest WTB offers, and quickly "flip" the item to sell at just below the WTS listings.
  • Those who buy for whatever price "today," speculating that the price will rise enormously over the next month or 12.
  • Those who buy ingredients to which they will add value, converting to a "finished product," via crafting, refinement, promotion, forging, or via other transformative processes.
  • Any combination of the above.

Only the first type is technically "flipping."

The sigils weren't bought by "whales". The entire supply of sigils at the moment of the episode release was less than ~750 gold total (at 3 silver on average), that's over 25k sigils. A single rich player, or a small group, could buy the entire supply of sigils, then relist them at 300 times the price. I don't think Arenanet would do something so low again, they'll be careful with their new recipes.

@Blocki.4931 said:Unless they decide to take another really rare item that is required in ungodly amounts I don't think anything like that will ever happen again. I could see it being similar to Ep 1's weapon sets to be honest. Requiring mostly standard stuff + map resource.

Uh ... there was the snowfall runes and mischief sigils then there was the dumplings and now this. I see no reason why it can't happen again with something else.

Oh and you may or may not count this one but they also changed the recipe for silk and leather to require more for refinement right after the event that drained a large quantity of those.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

The sigils weren't bought by "whales". The entire supply of sigils at the moment of the episode release was less than ~750 gold total (at 3 silver on average), that's over 25k sigils. A single rich player, or a small group, could buy the entire supply of sigils, then relist them at 300 times the price. I don't think Arenanet would do something so low again, they'll be careful with their new recipes.

or just 1000 players playing normally ... unless you think the game is really dying the active population should be much higher than that.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Market values change and so does the economy. Whats expensive today is cheap tomorrow and vice versa. Good examples of this is sigil of concentration and sigil of nullification. Its not anet fault for any of this. People made investments and skme time it pays off.

Sure, but when an item(null sigils, dont know anything about concentration, had no idea they existed till this wintersday), has a low means of obtainment, and no way to craft them it makes a recipe for disaster when it has a sudden unexpected, large quantity needed for a thing they promoted as one of the major additions with the story. Its not a good idea, and just going off the massive amounts of negative feedback about it, i hope they got they realized that.

I actually don't see any reason for Anet to not repeat what they did for Requiem Armor for the upcoming weapons ... the problem wasn't the price, it was how the sigils were obtained. Now you have the option to craft what you need in addition to all the other options to get the mats for these collections, the problem is solved. I mean, it's precursors all over again. Precursor crafting wasn't introduced to lower the cost .... and sigil/rune crafting is the same. If anything, it probably means we will see MORE things released with sigils/runes as crafting materials.

@Obtena.7952 said:I actually don't see any reason for Anet to not repeat what they did for Requiem Armor for the upcoming weapons ... the problem wasn't the price, it was how the sigils were obtained. Now you have the option to craft what you need in addition to all the other options to get the mats for these collections, the problem is solved. I mean, it's precursors all over again. Precursor crafting wasn't introduced to lower the cost .... and sigil/rune crafting is the same. If anything, it probably means we will see MORE things released with sigils/runes as crafting materials.

This.

Even IF they approach this differently. I would not expect for these weapon to be cheap. Expect a couple of hundred gold investment. Maybe for specific materials from a vendor or something but the skins will cost.

Otherwise you end up with just a couple more skins worth a few silver like the thousands of other skins people don't care about.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:Market values change and so does the economy. Whats expensive today is cheap tomorrow and vice versa. Good examples of this is sigil of concentration and sigil of nullification. Its not anet fault for any of this. People made investments and skme time it pays off.

Sure, but when an item(null sigils, dont know anything about concentration, had no idea they existed till this wintersday), has a low means of obtainment, and no way to craft them it makes a recipe for disaster when it has a sudden unexpected, large quantity needed for a thing they promoted as one of the major additions with the story. Its not a good idea, and just going off the massive amounts of negative feedback about it, i hope they got they realized.

Sigil of concentration was 50g a month ago now its less then 3. Sigil of nullification spiked up to 12g now its been at a steady decline. You don't need it 1st day and if you cant wait then pay the"i want it now" tax. This was a complaint for the silver dabloons a long time ago as well and look at them now. Point is everytime something new is added and requires something the price of said item gets jacked up for a while. Example when the new legandary drops the price of mats will go up for a while. You may say will it only went up a few silver but when you need 200 of say some t6 mats it will cost you.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:I'm hoping Anet's not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice, but I know better than that.

I honestly believe they never made a mistake. It was a way to allow them to redo how sigils were made in order to spend excess amounts of mats that people have lying around. It doesn't take a couple months to redo how sigils and runes are created. It takes time.

@PlagueParade.7942 said:

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:I'm hoping Anet's not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice, but I know better than that.

I honestly believe they never made a mistake. It was a way to allow them to redo how sigils were made in order to spend excess amounts of mats that people have lying around. It doesn't take a couple months to redo how sigils and runes are created. It takes time.I'm not talking about the rune and sigil rework, I'm talking about making the previous episode's keystone feature dependent on an existing item sold on the TP instead of one obtainable
from the actual new map/content.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Market values change and so does the economy. Whats expensive today is cheap tomorrow and vice versa. Good examples of this is sigil of concentration and sigil of nullification. Its not anet fault for any of this. People made investments and skme time it pays off.

Sure, but when an item(null sigils, dont know anything about concentration, had no idea they existed till this wintersday), has a low means of obtainment, and no way to craft them it makes a recipe for disaster when it has a sudden unexpected, large quantity needed for a thing they promoted as one of the major additions with the story. Its not a good idea, and just going off the massive amounts of negative feedback about it, i hope they got they realized.

Sigil of concentration was 50g a month ago now its less then 3. Sigil of nullification spiked up to 12g now its been at a steady decline. You don't need it 1st day and if you cant wait then pay the"i want it now" tax. This was a complaint for the silver dabloons a long time ago as well and look at them now. Point is everytime something new is added and requires something the price of said item gets jacked up for a while. Example when the new legandary drops the price of mats will go up for a while. You may say will it only went up a few silver but when you need 200 of say some t6 mats it will cost you.

In my opinion, I dont really think the "I want it now" tax applies to the sigils of Nullification. Im still trying to get enough of the Symbols to buy the recipe so i can start making them, as of September i have 2 sigils of Nullification(one i had prior to, and the other i extracted from "The Bifrost" when i made it), i havent gotten any of the items that contain the sigil, and due to the terrible drop rate of symbols i cant make them so its gonna be at least another year before i can make the blasted armor at the rate of drops being obtained.

Im all for content that takes time, but this collection pushed all sorts of buttons on what i can stand when it comes to patience.

Sigils of Concentration plummeted in price because Anet added them to Winter's Day presents. They deliberately lowered the price.While I don't disagree with that decision, since there was and is a huge demand for that Sigil and 50g was way too much and an outlier, you can't say that it's just the market/economy without Anet being responsible, when they actively manipulate supply and or demand on a massive scale, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:The sigils weren't bought by "whales". The entire supply of sigils at the moment of the episode release was less than ~750 gold total (at 3 silver on average), that's over 25k sigils. A single rich player, or a small group, could buy the entire supply of sigils, then relist them at 300 times the price. I don't think Arenanet would do something so low again, they'll be careful with their new recipes.

or just 1000 players playing normally ... unless you think the game is really dying the active population should be much higher than that.

It doesn't have anything to do with the active population. The game isn't dying at all, I don't know how anyone would come to that conclusion. If I knew the requiem collection required the sigil of nullification I could buy the entire TP supply myself, as I said, it was less than 750g, that's spare change for many players. Then I could relist them for 9g each, making a profit of 225k (225 THOUSAND) gold minus TP taxes.

All I said is that someone (or a small group) rushed the episode, found out about the sigils, and bought the entire supply, then resold the sigils for such a massive profit, it has nothing to do about the active population. The first person that noticed the sigil in the recipe could press O and buy everything.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:The sigils weren't bought by "whales". The entire supply of sigils at the moment of the episode release was less than ~750 gold total (at 3 silver on average), that's over 25k sigils. A single rich player, or a small group, could buy the entire supply of sigils, then relist them at 300 times the price. I don't think Arenanet would do something so low again, they'll be careful with their new recipes.

It doesn't have anything to do with the active population. The game isn't dying at all, I don't know how anyone would come to that conclusion. If I knew the requiem collection required the sigil of nullification I could buy the entire TP supply myself, as I said, it was less than 750g, that's spare change for many players. Then I could relist them for 9g each, making a profit of 225k (225 THOUSAND) gold minus TP taxes.

All I said is that someone (or a small group) rushed the episode, found out about the sigils, and bought the entire supply, then resold the sigils for such a massive profit, it has nothing to do about the active population. The first person that noticed the sigil in the recipe could press O and buy everything.

This.

At a couple of silver, any player who reached the step requiring the Sigil would have immediately bought some supply, probably telling others to do the same.

Following that even IF among the first 20-50 players no one was willing to invest 700-800 gold (which is not even spare change to some) people following the market (and there is many who do) would have also kicked in and bought their share. There was even people in this very thread who said they had bought some Sigils at 1-2 gold because they became aware of the price increase.

@"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:Market values change and so does the economy. Whats expensive today is cheap tomorrow and vice versa. Good examples of this is sigil of concentration and sigil of nullification. Its not anet fault for any of this. People made investments and skme time it pays off.

If investments paid off it would be fine. But in the sigil of nullification example, it was rushing through a recently released episode that paid off. There is a gigantic difference here, also the profit margin was absolutely ridiculous. Sigil of Concentration dropped from 50g to 3g, that's NOTHING. That's a tiny 17 times drop. The sigil of nullification was resold at an insane profit of 300 times higher. That's an absolutely mind blowing difference in price and from something that is NOT on the patch notes, it's not a general change (like the rune/sigil rework) but instead it's something you find out after rushing the latest episode. It's like telling the players that next time they release an episode, try to rush through it in order to "invest", it's disgusting.

Archived