a wild hypothesis of the of the water dragon

Yitsul.8342

With its minions being described as "tentacled horrors" and the concept art "tsunami" by Daniel Dociu, here's an idea what the dragon might look like. It could be a colossal octopus but at the end of each tentacle is a dragon head. Like an octopus, the dragon heads have their own mind like a real octopus however, as long as they are connected to the primary body, they are under the central body's will. This leaves a question though. Can a severed tentacle turn on its master? Possibly not with Mordremoth's essence. Still it would be cool to have a less dragon like Elder dragon with some draconic anatomy. It still needs a unique elaborate weakness

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Randulf.7614 said:In all seriousness though, I like the idea of it being very unlike a classic Dragon or lacking a lot of what people instantly Dragons to look like. I'm not sure I can accept the idea of a classic style Dragon in such a deep place.

And tentacled horrors are always a good place to start from

to be honest all ive ever pictured since i read about what its minions looked like was...a typical dragons body with tentacles in place of its wings and legs.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:In all seriousness though, I like the idea of it being very unlike a classic Dragon or lacking a lot of what people instantly Dragons to look like. I'm not sure I can accept the idea of a classic style Dragon in such a deep place.

to be honest all ive ever pictured since i read about what its minions looked like was...a typical dragons body with tentacles in place of its wings and legs.

Ive a,lways placeheld it with this

https://i.imgur.com/p892zp3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

@Yitsul.8342 said:It could be a colossal octopus but at the end of each tentacle is a dragon head.

So basically a water Zhaitan then.

Eh, I'd not have rehashes of previous boss designs for the Elder Dragons.

I've always liked the idea of it being a more traditional multiheaded dragon. Perhaps ever since I saw this concept art by Kekai Kotaki that might be fore the DSD or one of its champions. Probably a champion, but still that kind of Siamese-dragon appearance (or more accurately, a polycephaly dragon) feels far more original than Cthulhu-dragon or Water Zhaitan.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:In all seriousness though, I like the idea of it being very unlike a classic Dragon or lacking a lot of what people instantly Dragons to look like. I'm not sure I can accept the idea of a classic style Dragon in such a deep place.

That's kind of what I pictured Primordus to be, given his GW1 model having tendril-like appendages coming out of his shoulders instead of any visible joints for forearms or wings. You can see four of these tendrils on the gww's image of Primordus. And from some of the images here we can see two more. So instead of wings and forearms, it looks like the original design of Primordus had him with six+ tendrils at his shoulder area.

And they tossed that potentially-super-creepy fully unique design for a fucking generic lava dragon design like what Deathwing from WoW or hell, what shows up if I just google "lava dragon". And why? Only complaints might have been "it's small" (which makes fking sense given its location, its current size would demand it to be the entirety of freaking KRYTA from Brisban to Shiverpeaks!) or "it looks too much like Glint" (oh wow, an Elder Dragon looks similar to the child of another Elder Dragon. Heck, just make Primordus the mommy dragon and call it a day? Who the heck was Glint's mom anyways? Or Aurene's father for that matter! Are dragons asexual reproducers?).

Mini-ranting aside, I really wish someone could pull out Primordus' model so we could see it without the rocks that go through Primordus and that it blends in so freaking well with.

@Yitsul.8342 said:

@Ceit.7619 said:It would be a funny twist to me if we kill Kralkatorrik, and then Selbbub absorbs branding power, and turns the entire ocean solid in response, like the Jade Sea.

it would only be able to brand where it swims. We've yet to see the nature of dragonbrand underwater

Erm... We got two large lakes in Ascalon countering that statement. And the remains of the dammed Elon Riverlands in Vabbi further countering that.

Water is more or less unaffected, while the ground underwater and the fish very much are.

Maybe it should drop any hint of dragon-ness and just be a giant living whirlpool that constantly manifests sea-life-inspired eyes, mouths, and tentacles from its sides, ripping and destroying whatever gets caught in its grip as it is inexorably dragged down to the hungry abyss at the bottom. Sort of like Cthulhu, Charybdis, and the Sarlacc had a baby.

It might sound like it isn't much of a threat on land, but I assume if it did come on land, it would take the form of a colossal water sharknado.

Am I the only one who thinks that the design of a sea serpent/hydra/leviathan may be far more fitting than any tentacled abomination could ever hope to be?From a mythological point of view this may be more familiar, being closer to a standard dragon, but also far more appropriate than trying to go after weirdness for its own sake.

@Castigator.3470 said:Am I the only one who thinks that the design of a sea serpent/hydra/leviathan may be far more fitting than any tentacled abomination could ever hope to be?From a mythological point of view this may be more familiar, being closer to a standard dragon, but also far more appropriate than trying to go after weirdness for its own sake.

Not at all and you are prob closer to the mark in all honesty. I think there's just an appetite for something different though and with the only real know background of the DSD being this line from The Movement of the World;

In the deepest waters of the sea, another dragon breathed, twisting the waters themselves into tentacled horrors that rose from every lake and river of the land

It is only natural for the mind to continue that on a larger scale to its source.

The popularity and influence of Cthulhu/Mythos literature helps lend a bit of credence to the imagining of such an abomination as well and anyone who has played Secret World knows how well such things can translate to an MMO

Redesign the wings where the bones being slimy long tentacles with its own heads and the flaps being fin like mechanism.Basically, a huge hydra/tentacle/dragon monster hybrid that is massive. I want it to be like, mind-bogglingly massive. I am talking about a scale of one of bubbles eye should be bigger than a pact airship.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

1. Bio-luminescence. Probably capable of being turned off and on.

What if that bio-luminescence is the only way we could even see it when we first see/fight it?

If we fight it in the water depths, it could be the sheer darkness of the ocean that has it eluding our sight. But if it's fought in the surface, it could have Zhaitan's domain of shadow to be spreading darkness so it can't be seen. Maybe it doesn't even like sunlight (would make it opposite of Kralkatorrik, who's secondary domain I still think is Sky/Air, and involves sun magic based on the Zephyrites' who're based off of Glint).

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:
  1. Bio-luminescence. Probably capable of being turned off and on.

What if that bio-luminescence is the only way we could even see it when we first see/fight it?

If we fight it in the water depths, it could be the sheer darkness of the ocean that has it eluding our sight. But if it's fought in the surface, it could have Zhaitan's domain of shadow to be spreading darkness so it can't be seen. Maybe it doesn't even like sunlight (would make it opposite of Kralkatorrik, who's secondary domain I still think is Sky/Air, and involves sun magic based on the Zephyrites' who're based off of Glint).

Swim into a dark underwater cave to fight it, bringing Pact submarines along with. Swim deeper and deeper into the dark water before a lamp finally reveals the tip of its nose.

Then, its face starts to glow, brightening the cavern. Already terrified by being so close to the monster, you almost don't realize the lines of light continuing down it's neck, speeding up as you see light racing all around the cavern.

You didn't swim into a cave. You swam into its coils.

I wish that they make it with a plesiosaur, pliosaur or a mosasaur based model. I feel those things were by far the most terrorizing sea creatures that ever lived. Add luminescence to it like someone else described and it would be amazing. Also massive and full of crustaceans, barnacles and other sea creatures attached to it.

Archived