Add duels + "disable duels" option

Aodlop.1907

There's no reason not to do it.If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Aodlop.1907" said:There's no reason not to do it.If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

lol Open world PvP combat right there on the spot in the middle of a meta event. That would be amusing. Mordemoth is coming to kill you all, but too late! Island 4 is dueling it out for command of the island.

There actually are small arenas dotted around the world already - like the fighting pit in Gendarren Fields (featured in the sylvari story) and Butcher's Yard in Diessa Plateau. According to Edge of Destiny and various mentions in-game there used to be a large arena in Lion's Arch too but it was demolished some time before the start of the game. But at the moment they can only be used to fight NPCs, and then only as part of story steps and possibly events.

But I suspect there's no point enabling dueling at appropriate locations in the open-world, because if going through the PvP menu or into a guild hall is too much trouble going to one of the designated dueling spots would be totally out of the question. I don't understand that thinking myself, but then I don't understand the appeal of dueling either. Based on other games I've played, where people only seem to want to duel in the most crowded areas of towns I assume an audience (willing or otherwise) is considered essential.

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't understand that thinking myself, but then I don't understand the appeal of dueling either. Based on other games I've played, where people only seem to want to duel in the most crowded areas of towns I assume an audience (willing or otherwise) is considered essential.

Nah, it's not the audience that attracts duelers to these crowded areas, it's the huge pool of players who have little to no experience dueling and are ill equipped for it. In any game I've played that had dueling, there was always a crowd of duelers hanging around the starter areas for exactly this reason. They just throw around dueling requests and see who accepts. They're not interested in dueling another PvP oriented player, they just want that feeling of superiority when dominating someone 10 levels below them.

@"Aodlop.1907" said:There's no reason not to do it.If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

There's also no reason to do it when you got wvw and pvp

In the previous game, we had sparring (dueling) option around the world. You got no rewards from loosing or winning, and you were not able to kill opponents entirely to rez circle: when either side lost health, spar was over (players were not targetable anymore) and loosing side was "exhausted" for like 5-10 secs before standing up again. You were able to enable/disable sparring invitations, just like other invitations, and I think it was disabled by default, so new players needed eventually to turn it on if they wanted to start sparring. Spars were entirely 1vs1, no other player could target the ones dueling (although some wanted to ruin certain spars by throwing heals in), and you could have only one spar running at time (you could not invite player sparring already to spar with you).

We used to have sparring circles in certain spots: mostly popular "hub" spots that were easy to access w/ instant traveling around the world. They used to be somewhat popular, people learning PvP basics and more experienced players trying out new classes & builds. But the game itself evolved to direction which made spars meaningless to practice for PvP. In this game, I could think that e.g. Lion's Arch would be one popular spot for duel circles, maybe also certain other places where you have easily accessible waypoint and some room around.

I have nothing to complain with the system, vice versa. As long as the game was somewhat balanced from PvP perspective, they were easy and cheap ways to practice, and it was always an option for quiet hours to have something to do.

Not a dev, but I guess this shouldn't be too hard to implement? Not sure why you'd want this though, aside from having the ability to chop unsuspecting newbies up. Lol.

I'd much rather have the high stakes-high rewards system in WvW and PvP. It's much more epic, and you if you're lucky, you'll occasionally be part of a well orchestrated squad, mowing down swathes of pitiful plebs in your way.

@Veluna.7316 said:

lol Open world PvP combat right there on the spot in the middle of a meta event. That would be amusing. Mordemoth is coming to kill you all, but too late! Island 4 is dueling it out for command of the island.

In WoW you can't start a duel if you're currently in combat. Just add the same thing here and it won't happen, same way it never happens in WoW when there is a world boss event.

@"TamX.1870" said:In the previous game, we had sparring (dueling) option around the world. You got no rewards from loosing or winning, and you were not able to kill opponents entirely to rez circle: when either side lost health, spar was over (players were not targetable anymore) and loosing side was "exhausted" for like 5-10 secs before standing up again. You were able to enable/disable sparring invitations, just like other invitations, and I think it was disabled by default, so new players needed eventually to turn it on if they wanted to start sparring. Spars were entirely 1vs1, no other player could target the ones dueling (although some wanted to ruin certain spars by throwing heals in), and you could have only one spar running at time (you could not invite player sparring already to spar with you).

We used to have sparring circles in certain spots: mostly popular "hub" spots that were easy to access w/ instant traveling around the world. They used to be somewhat popular, people learning PvP basics and more experienced players trying out new classes & builds. But the game itself evolved to direction which made spars meaningless to practice for PvP. In this game, I could think that e.g. Lion's Arch would be one popular spot for duel circles, maybe also certain other places where you have easily accessible waypoint and some room around.

I have nothing to complain with the system, vice versa. As long as the game was somewhat balanced from PvP perspective, they were easy and cheap ways to practice, and it was always an option for quiet hours to have something to do.

Yeah much like in WoW.This is the first MMO ever where I see people argue against duels like there's any real downside to it, I don't get those people. I'm not asking for duels to be a mandatory part of the game with gigantic rewards, just a fun option for those who want it (and an option to disable it for those who don't) and they still argue against it...Feels like they enjoy preventing others from having fun.

I agree

I also disagree with the arguments against it.

Just look at 1v1 servers in the prime time/ hay day. People would just gather around just to hang out and watch duels. Some vets, some noobs, some pros and some teachers and students ...all getting together to learn, talk and essentially get to know the community.

Just look at PVE right now. Literally nobody talks to each other. There’s no semblance of community because all of the possible interactions in the PVE game are with AI, npc’s and monsters. PVE was so boring....world bosses were the only reason to get a conversation going and even then people still don’t talk to each other because it’s not challenging and it’s just a farm at the end of the day.

Not only does pvp need this, but PVE needs this too.

A fairly recent comment from an Anet dev regarding this topic:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Everyone defines fun different - for me its not fun to be ganked by some higher leveled, with pvp-build player. And i think there might be more ppl who share my opinion.I remember once, as i tried another MMO and the very first thing i saw, my first contact with the "community" in the moment my newly created character stepped into that world were duels requests - which i denied, which brought me insults in local chat, which i blocked. and so on... I'm sure you got the point ;) It wasn't a nice experience and i think it wouldn't really impress new players (it didn't impress me at all, on contrary, i planed playing that game at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and then "lets see" and i quitted on Saturday already) - at least not in a positive way.

I'm not sure how many MMO's out there do not have duels - beside guild wars - but i think there wont be so many. And for that reason i dont understand why ppl who want duels in pve dont play one of those which have this option already...?

Edit: I actually wanted to try "New World" (as a filler) but as soon as read that it has open world pvp (your beloved duells) i knew i wont test it and stopped reading news about it

@"Chay.7852" said:Everyone defines fun different - for me its not fun to be ganked by some higher leveled, especially for duels skilled player. And i think there might be more ppl who share my opinion.

If duels were implemented, literally nothing would give us the ability to gank one another.

I remember once, as i tried another MMO and the very first thing i saw, my first contact with the "community" in the moment my newly created character stepped into that world were duels requests - which i denied, which brought me insults in local chat, which i blocked. and so on... I'm sure you got the point ;) It wasn't a nice experience and i think it wouldn't really impress new players (it didn't impress me at all, on contrary, i planed playing that game at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and then "lets see and i quitted on Saturday already) - at least not in a positive way.

What game is that, I am curious. I played Wow for quite some time, highly active in duels and such, it never happened to me once. Something tells me that either you were truly unlucky or the community in this game was generally really toxic.

I'm not sure how many MMO's out there do not have duels - beside guild wars - but i think there wont be so many. And for that reason i dont understand why ppl who want duels in pve dont play one of those...?

Well, its rather obvious. Open world duel implementation isn't something that can attract and keep players, in and of itself, in a game.

Edit: Corrected grammar error.

It's already been discussed MANY times before, absolutely no reason to create another thread about this again. If you want to to discuss it you should post in one of the other threads instead of creating another one that will simply get the same responses and eventually be merged in to one of the other threads anyway.

Actually, maybe in the other thread you already created about this same subject?https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/39433/i-wish-dueling-was-a-thing#latest

@Eme.2018 said:

@"Chay.7852" said:Everyone defines fun different - for me its not fun to be ganked by some higher leveled, especially for duels skilled player. And i think there might be more ppl who share my opinion.

If duels were implemented, literally nothing would give us the ability to gank one another.

I remember once, as i tried another MMO and the very first thing i saw, my first contact with the "community" in the moment my newly created character stepped into that world were duels requests - which i denied, which brought me insults in local chat, which i blocked. and so on... I'm sure you got the point ;) It wasn't a nice experience and i think it wouldn't really impress new players (it didn't impress me at all, on contrary, i planed playing that game at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and then "lets see and i quitted on Saturday already) - at least not in a positive way.

What game is that, I am curious. I played Wow for quite some time, highly active in duels and such, it never happened to me once. Something tells me that either you were truly unlucky or the community in this game was generally really toxic.

I'm not sure how many MMO's out there do not have duels - beside guild wars - but i think there wont be so many. And for that reason i dont understand why ppl who want duels in pve dont play one of those...?

Well, its rather obvious. Open world duel implementation isn't something that can attract and keep players, in and of itself, in a game.

Edit: Corrected grammar error.

I didnt mention the name of the game because i dont want to make any - bad or good - publicity for it. And since you mention WoW - a game i only played very shortly cause i didnt like it (starting with the looks) - a workmate, long-time wow-player, told me that it was a thing in wow to send duel invites to ppl who were gathering and so to "force" them to accidentaly accept while they wanted to only accept to gather. So yeah... ganker will find their way ;)

@"Chay.7852" said:I didnt mention the name of the game because i dont want to make any - bad or good - publicity for it. And since you mention WoW - a game i only played very shortly cause i didnt like it (starting with the looks) - a workmate, long-time wow-player, told me that it was a thing in wow to send duel invites to ppl who were gathering and so to "force" them to accidentaly accept while they wanted to only accept to gather. So yeah... ganker will find their way ;)

No, they won't. I 've never heard of what you are talking about. But, anyhow, even if you mistakenly accept a duel, you can just run away, or you can just play it out, you loose nothing anyway. It is nothing like a gank.

@Eme.2018 said:

@"Chay.7852" said:I didnt mention the name of the game because i dont want to make any - bad or good - publicity for it. And since you mention WoW - a game i only played very shortly cause i didnt like it (starting with the looks) - a workmate, long-time wow-player, told me that it was a thing in wow to send duel invites to ppl who were gathering and so to "force" them to accidentaly accept while they wanted to only accept to gather. So yeah... ganker will find their way ;)

No, they won't. I 've never heard of what you are talking about. But, anyhow, even if you mistakenly accept a duel, you can just run away, or you can just play it out, you loose nothing anyway. It is nothing like a gank.

Actually people tricking PvE players into flagging for PvP was complained about on their forums. Players would flag for PvP and then attempt to get a PvE players who wasn’t paying attention to click on them instead of what they were trying to do. If they accidentally clicked on them they would be flagged for PvP and attacked.

even if you mistakenly accept a duel, you can just run away,

Kind of hard to run away when you’re unexpectedly flagged, attacked and killed before you figure out what happened.example thread

@Aodlop.1907 said:

@Aodlop.1907 said:There's no reason not to do it.If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

In WoW you can't start a duel if you're currently in combat. Just add the same thing here and it won't happen, same way it never happens in WoW when there is a world boss event.

@"TamX.1870" said:In the previous game, we had sparring (dueling) option around the world. You got no rewards from loosing or winning, and you were not able to kill opponents entirely to rez circle: when either side lost health, spar was over (players were not targetable anymore) and loosing side was "exhausted" for like 5-10 secs before standing up again. You were able to enable/disable sparring invitations, just like other invitations, and I think it was disabled by default, so new players needed eventually to turn it on if they wanted to start sparring. Spars were entirely 1vs1, no other player could target the ones dueling (although some wanted to ruin certain spars by throwing heals in), and you could have only one spar running at time (you could not invite player sparring already to spar with you).

Yeah much like in WoW.This is the first MMO ever where I see people argue against duels like there's any real downside to it, I don't get those people. I'm not asking for duels to be a mandatory part of the game with gigantic rewards, just a fun option for those who want it (and an option to disable it for those who don't) and they still argue against it...Feels like they enjoy preventing others from having fun.

Do you want open world duels or sparring grounds on PVE maps? Very important to clarify here as other people are thinking open world anywhere duels which would not be a welcome development during scalable or map meta events, mob interaction with duels, possible griefing accusations.

@Eme.2018 said:

As was stated before: why not come to WvW?

Most People in open world PVE don’t want to duel.

Several in WvW do. At least a far higher percentage than open world.

Archived