Hair "accessory" colors - please add black!

mrauls.6519

Many hair accessories are metallic. And most hair ribbons are intended to be shiny. This gives these hair accessories a large amount of glare that make them appear lighter whenever there's a light source that can be reflected. At night they mostly appear as intended due to lack of a light source. But most of the game day is daytime, so most of the time the colors are washed out due to glare.

You can test this effect a little bit by using the LIGHTING toggle in any dye previewer. But I have the Permanent Self-Style Hair Kit, so am more able than most to test this on hair accessories in the "real-world". And yes, washing out of hair accessory colors IS a bit more pronounced in reality than you see in the previews. A fact learned the hard way if you're paying good gems every time you want to make a change.

Originally we only had 21 Hair Accessory colors to choose from. 28 have been added since that time including Abyss. In my experience with highly reflective armor pieces, even SHADOW Abyss doesn't look very dark. This (for me) is even more frustratingly obvious and prevalent than the effect it has on hair accessories. So - while much welcomed - the addition of a darker black probably wouldn't fix our problem.

You could always tinker with your game settings ("Reflections" seems a good bet). But then you'd be sacrificing other visual effects that you want to keep. (I've NEVER owned a computer that made GW or GW2's "Post Processing" effects make anything look good).

What we need is the addition of MATTE dyes that tone down the reflectivity of whatever they are applied to. And not just "special" dyes that cost 400 gold apiece on the trading post. Start with basic COMMON dyes. Then add more periodically. (As well as adding them to the Hair Accessory list, which is independent of the dyes a character has unlocked). Either that, or just give us a MATTE TOGGLE whenever we apply dyes to anything.

Matte dyes would likely reduce the amount of DETAIL you could see, so be prepared for that possibility.

This all assumes, of course, that the program mechanics allow for dyed surfaces to have their reflectivity values altered by the application of dyes.

Too bad we can't just use the dyes we have on hair accessories in addition to the kit's options. I wish the "glare" was more standardized between hairs-- what is going on with that exclusive huge spikey Charr hairstyle that seems so randomly washed out and lighter than the rest if you color it dark? No idea if it looks better outside of the preview.

@"Tailcoat.6920" said:Too bad we can't just use the dyes we have on hair accessories in addition to the kit's options. I wish the "glare" was more standardized between hairs-- what is going on with that exclusive huge spikey Charr hairstyle that seems so randomly washed out and lighter than the rest if you color it dark? No idea if it looks better outside of the preview.

There's an asura hair like that too lol. Like the hair's made out of metal or something

Archived