Advice for new Weaver (sustain/squishyness)

Shizai.9204

I started playing weaver recently, and coming from a revenant (renegade) main, I instantly found to be extremely squishy. I have only played my elementalist until level 30-40, then used the level 80 boost I got from the expansions. I am now playing sword/dagger, with this build: https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/elementalist/weaver/sword/(Note that I am more like a casual/solo player, so I am not (yet) into raids, I just take this site as comparison/guide for efficient builds).

I still have the level 80 boost equippment, which leaves me with stats like this: https://imgur.com/a/Artcn47When I look at the desired set of (ascended) gear with beserker stats, I see that I am going to lose quite a bit of vitatlity. This would make me even more squishy, and I am already having a hard time not to faceplant.

I like the playstyle a lot, and I got better with the weaver after a while (also I find staff to be really boring, so I'd like to master sword/dagger). For the rotation I try to stick to whats given here: https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/elementalist/weaver/sword/ although I already swapped arcane blast for arcane shield, and I also tend to switch to water often for the healing. Still, compared to my renegade, I rather die myself through a tough fight instead of surviving as I can do on my rev.

What advice can you give me to get better with the weaver, and struggle less with tough solo boss fights? What gear should I am for? (currently gathering daily crafts, so it will take some more days until I start crafting ascended gear).

For solo play I'd generally avoid raid builds. Raid DPS builds they focus on slick rotations (rightly so!) and assume buffs are coming from other players, whereas buffs cannot be assumed in solo play and you may need more flexibility from your utility skills and traits.

IMHO there are two options.

1. Power through with what you're doing and you'll eventually get to where you want to go. Sword Weaver does require a lot of time investment before it's second nature, but it's probably not going to get to levels of survivability you had with your Rev, nor will it set the world on fire (no pun intended) with damage, AoE and utility in general play. I would recommend mixing some of your gear up, e.g. Marauder's armour with Berserker trinkets and weapons. Some vocal voices will say this is not necessary and you just need to get better immediately, but quite frankly that misses the point and it's entirely your call.
  2. Try something like a Fresh Air Auramancer as a middle ground until you get the motivation to perfect sword Weaver. You keep the 'up close and personal' play style, but with great survivability and lots of AoE which just melts mobs. Other PvE players appreciate the bonus boons and sustain you bring. This build doesn't carry straight over into Raids or Fractals - there's a split between Tempest power builds (with GoS, FGS, etc) and support (boons and healing), but gets through all other PvE content without issue. Again there will be ninja-fingered theorycrafters who will scream 'suboptimal', but as a mere mortal I offer that which has helped me!

Thanks for your reply. I'll definetely try out tempest, however I haven't collected the HP yet for it.

Also I'm happy with switching build with the weaver, I am just following this build as its the only reference I know (overall i'm new to the game). For now I'd like to stick with the sword weaver, and try to get the most out of it. I'm not (yet) into raids as I said, so it will be mostly about single player story as well as fractals/dungeons. At some point I might end up in a raid, but for now I'll just be happy with an efficient out-of-raid weaver spec / equip.

For the agony resistance I am working on my first set of ascended gear, so at some point I'll have to make a choice (berserker, marauder, ...?). Maybe I'll mix berserker with marauder as you suggested, to have some extra vitality.

Archived