ArenaNet, let's talk Death Magic (RE)

Rym.1469

Death Magic, as of now, is probably the least used specialization out of all. While others also have some traits that beg for a rework (like Unholy Martyr in Blood Magic that’s way too niche for GM), DM is absolutely plagued by those.

I’ll list few observations of mine:

• The specialization is heavily centred around swapping in and out of Shroud/staying in Shroud for extended periods of time, moreso than Soul Reaping – All such traits lose quite a bit of value with Scourge and none is particulary powerful as of now.

• Soul Reaping, Blood Magic both provide better defense than Death Magic – the defensive specialization.

• Unholy Sanctuary, a GM trait that was mediocre even right after Specialization update is hillariously weak with Scourge – it’s basically a second Regeneration for 7s. It’s only reediming factor would be the interaction between Desert Shroud and Dhuumfire, but that’s digging deep for any purpose.

• Soul Comprehension – Yes, this infamous trait. On multiple occassions necro players have expressed that it’s basically like not having a master minor. We know that you’ve added it for “the theme”, but it’s so incredibly weak and niche that you got to scratch your head when reading it.

• We have three (!) separate traits for one utility type – minions. I get that many people love idea of running around with five or six permanent body shields, but that’s neither a big identity of Necromancer in GW2 nor is effective. Minions we use tend to be utility-heavy (in what direction I believe all Minions should move to be useful) and apart from non-competitive full MM builds (and Rise!) Necromancers may use 1-2 at time, not 6.

• Death Magic has no real “selling point”. The only real reason to run it was/is in PvE for Death Nova. The traitline won’t give some major defenses, it doesn’t really have any exciting traits and, apart from minions, has little synergy within itself. It’s far too heavy on Minions which don’t work well in GW2.

I would welcome a critical look at the specialization for the upcoming balance patch & expansion.

Re-posting the thread. Original link here: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/necromancer/Dear-ArenaNet-let-s-talk-about-Death-Magic

Death Magic is my main on pvp and doing very well, pls Anet dont touch it.Barbaric Rune+Rune of scrapper.Death Magic 2-3-2Spite 1-3-3Reaper. 2-1-1Greatsword/Axe-Warhorn. Be immortal.Wells on utilities.

i Dont even bother with cleanse condition, barbaric amulet let u with 32k HP, i just wait them timeout. Death Magic the last trait reduce condi duration.i Dont bother with Shroud decay, with so much Toughness stacked the damage it receives is insignificant, in a 3x1 fight it looks like you're using shroud traitline.All vulnerability that Axe/Spite traitline give insta buff with 10 stack of Corrupter Fervor, its means -20% condi duration on u.Wells spam+GreatSword #4 is a powerful combo to hold point on outnumbered situations.

The minion variation of this build, is just all minions traitlines, and ofc minions instead of wells. be happy!

And one thing perplexes me with a death magic trait. Death nova.Considering that minions are mostly useful when they are alive, and the fact that we can only actively sacrifice 4 minions (the blood fiend, the bone minions and the flesh wurm), rewarding their loss/death with a small amount of poison seems rather strange... (Only 3 are likely to be near the enemy to take advantage of that, considering the wurm is mostly used as an "OH KITTEN" button to hit when fluff hits the fan).Personally I always thought that trait could be made into something that would change/upgrade the activated abilities of the minions.For example, the golem's charge could always launch and inflict the same damage as the last impact (rather than knockdown and barely graze the opponent). The bone fiend could immobilize longer and apply a decent vulnerability. The shadowfiend could apply a small fear. The flesh wurm's teleportation could have a range of 2400 (Not the summon, the teleportation). And the bone minion's explosion could still create that small lingering poison field. And the blood fiend could have it's sacrifice allow the other minions to steal health according to a small percentage of their own health with each strike (Maybe something like 7% per strike?).And for the love of Grenth, please change the critical hit chance of the bone minion's explosion to be that of the necromancer!

Anyone agrees?

(EDIT: I forgot about the blood fiend ;-;)(SECOND EDIT: Sweet lord I am dumb, forgot the teleport killed the wurm)

Archived