Do You Guys Think it Would be Good to Separate PvE and PvP Profession Skills?

ZarexWolf.5637

Do You Guys Think it Would be Good to Separate PvE and PvP Profession Skills? I'm asking because people have complained about changing professions, due to how troublesome they can be in each instance. I think separating how they work (depending on if you're doing PvE or PvP) could solve this and return most professions to their glory days. I know that this will be extremely painful for the ArenaNet team, but this would help quell some people's complaints. Who remembers when Necromancer was great in open PvE? It's so bad now that I see only one or two people using it in PvE, but in PvP it is a bit better. Although this is a complicated suggestion, both sides will benefit.

Unless you’re talking about something else, they do split skills between PvE and PvP.

For example, thief and revenantConsume Plasma: This skill has been split between game modes, reducing the protection it grants from 10 seconds to 4 seconds the stability it grants from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in PvP only.Forced Engagement: This skill's taunt and slow durations have been increased from 2 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only. It now causes the revenant to take 20% less damage from their taunted foes.Burst of Strength: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.Elemental Blast: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Unless you’re talking about something else, they do split skills between PvE and PvP.

, thief and revenantConsume Plasma: This skill has been split between game modes, reducing the protection it grants from 10 seconds to 4 seconds the stability it grants from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in PvP only.Forced Engagement: This skill's taunt and slow durations have been increased from 2 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only. It now causes the revenant to take 20% less damage from their taunted foes.Burst of Strength: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.Elemental Blast: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Unless you’re talking about something else, they do split skills between PvE and PvP.

, thief and revenantConsume Plasma: This skill has been split between game modes, reducing the protection it grants from 10 seconds to 4 seconds the stability it grants from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in PvP only.Forced Engagement: This skill's taunt and slow durations have been increased from 2 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only. It now causes the revenant to take 20% less damage from their taunted foes.Burst of Strength: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.Elemental Blast: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

I was never told about this, but wasn't the professions' stats altered due to people saying how it gave their opponent an unfair advantage or was I mislead?

@ZarexWolf.5637 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Unless you’re talking about something else, they do split skills between PvE and PvP.

, thief and revenantConsume Plasma: This skill has been split between game modes, reducing the protection it grants from 10 seconds to 4 seconds the stability it grants from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in PvP only.Forced Engagement: This skill's taunt and slow durations have been increased from 2 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only. It now causes the revenant to take 20% less damage from their taunted foes.Burst of Strength: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.Elemental Blast: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Unless you’re talking about something else, they do split skills between PvE and PvP.

, thief and revenantConsume Plasma: This skill has been split between game modes, reducing the protection it grants from 10 seconds to 4 seconds the stability it grants from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in PvP only.Forced Engagement: This skill's taunt and slow durations have been increased from 2 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only. It now causes the revenant to take 20% less damage from their taunted foes.Burst of Strength: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.Elemental Blast: The cooldown of this skill has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

I was never told about this, but wasn't the professions' stats altered due to people saying how it gave their opponent an unfair advantage or was I mislead?

PvP has PvP armor, runes, sigil and a trinket that you choose from the UI. It’s the same for all professions, if that’s what you mean by profession stats.

@Astralporing.1957 said:I pick option 4: it is a bad idea, but there's no real way around it.Yep, trying to balance 2-3 sets of skills for each class would be painful for devs. On the other hand, trying to balance the same skillset along 3 different game modes is just plain impossible, as the history so far proved beyond any doubt.

That's not what I was saying. I was trying to that all PvE and PvP instances should be separate. Not going to make each game mode special since that is truly impossible. Unless you mean fractals as the 3rd game mode even though in my view that is considered PvE.

@ZarexWolf.5637 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:I pick option 4: it is a bad idea, but there's no real way around it.Yep, trying to balance 2-3 sets of skills for each class would be painful for devs. On the other hand, trying to balance the same skillset along 3 different game modes is just plain impossible, as the history so far proved beyond any doubt.

That's not what I was saying. I was trying to that all PvE and PvP instances should be separate. Not going to make each game mode special since that is truly impossible. Unless you mean fractals as the 3rd game mode even though in my view that is considered PvE.

I would think wvw is the game mode

Im a little confused by the post though. Anet have been separating skills out more and more over the last couple of year, with diff functions and cooldowns. Many skills now label on their tooltip that they work differently in different game modes

I want to vote no, but not because I believe it won't work. In the short term I believe it could work but it would be effort wasted that would ultimately negatively impact the game going forward. I believe they need to do a heavy pass on balance using competitive modes as the filtre for what carries over to the other modes instead of making stronger versions for PVE. This way you do a few things that are better for the health of the game.

1) You don't set players up with unreasonable expectations. If they're able to do something cool in pve then are told it's not balanced in pvp or wvw it's going to upset them. Especially if the abilities in question are central to the focus of a certain spec line. Having that purpose reduced or completely neutered in another mode when other professions might not be hit as hard isn't good.

2) It doesn't make a liar out of you if - say in the future you come out with an elite which centres around a mechanic previously restricted because it was believed to be either exploitative or just not fun to play against in competitive modes. This frees your hand design-wise, having that parity of functionality between game modes, because then, in future, when you DO decide to have such an element as part of not one but many elites- perhaps as the introduction of a new mechanic- you don't have to go backpedaling to cover up your bad decision making with a player base who might have good justification for feeling let down or deceived. What you see is what you get regardless of mode.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but best done early as possible. I know ot runs the risk of making the PVE side of things a bit less 'cool' in the short term, but in the long run you always have the option of adding a little something more for everyone.

If I might indulge in the use of a worn out analogy - Balance should be viewed similarly to cooking. Too much of any one spice is difficult if not impossible to remove once it's in the stew. Moderation in everything and keep adjustments small. That way you don't end up in an endless cycle of constant fiddling after the fact by adding more things on top to mask the initial mistake -such that you end up with something nobody wants to consume.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I would think wvw is the game mode

Im a little confused by the post though. Anet have been separating skills out more and more over the last couple of year, with diff functions and cooldowns. Many skills now label on their tooltip that they work differently in different game modesThey do separate
some
skills, but they also still balance whole classes in all game modes due to their performance in a single game mode (or even a single
submode
). Last chrono nerf was such a case. Necro being continuously subpar in PvE for reasons that are primarily rooted in its PvP performance is another, even better example.

@"Iozeph.5617" said:1) You don't set players up with unreasonable expectations. If they're able to do something cool in pve then are told it's not balanced in pvp or wvw it's going to upset them.If their class gets nerfed due to it overperforming in a mode they
don't
play, it's also going to upset them.

Especially if the abilities in question are central to the focus of a certain spec line. Having that purpose reduced or completely neutered in another mode when other professions might not be hit as hard isn't good.The same applies here, to an even greater degree. Having those core abilities reduced or neutered in one mode due to reasons that come from another mode is also not good.

2) It doesn't make a liar out of you if - say in the future you come out with an elite which centres around a mechanic previously restricted because it was believed to be either exploitative or just not fun to play against in competitive modes. This frees your hand design-wise, having that parity of functionality between game modes, because then, in future, when you DO decide to have such an element as part of not one but many elites- perhaps as the introduction of a new mechanic- you don't have to go backpedaling to cover up your bad decision making with a player base who might have good justification for feeling let down or deceived. What you see is what you get regardless of mode.Except you really don't. The same skills can be OP in one mode and completely useless in another. It's already not the same - the modes are too different for it to be the same. That "parity of functionality" you speak of already doesn't exist.

If I might indulge in the use of a worn out analogy - Balance should be viewed similarly to cooking. Too much of any one spice is difficult if not impossible to remove once it's in the stew. Moderation in everything and keep adjustments small. That way you don't end up in an endless cycle of constant fiddling after the fact by adding more things on top to mask the initial mistake -such that you end up with something nobody wants to consume.That has nothing to do with balancing class in one mode due to its performance in another. If anything, the principle above makes separation even more important, because trying to balance the class without splits is definitely going to cause that cycle of constant fiddling you mentioned, as fixing something in one mode is going to break something in another.

As much as they like to avoid having PvE and PvP versions being significantly different from each other, the gameplay/balance team probably should have bit the bullet and done it anyway.

OP mentions the Necromancer having been "great in open PvE" - ironically, it's because it was utterly dismal in open PvE that we had the condition overhaul that started the rot. While a limit of condition stacks made condition-based classes almost entirely worthless for open-world bosses, and therefore the removal of condition limits did need to happen there, it should not have been implemented in either of the competitive game modes.

Conditions initially provided DPS pressure that was linked to only one stat, which made it easy to scale while retaining defensive stats but at the cost of having a limited damage ceiling. You could outlast other players that way, but you couldn't burst them down. Now, you actually can burst them down on bunker gear with the right weapons and traits, because you can drop absurd numbers of condition stacks on enemy players very quickly. That's handy in PvE, but it's one of the factors that has made PvP combat rather one-dimensional compared to its launch state.

Similarly, boon stacks, damage totals, and regeneration should have been restricted significantly in PvP/WvW, and healing there should have been tied more closely to the healing stat. If resource management actually mattered, and if there was no build that could survive for extended periods if played badly, we may not find ourselves in the situation where the game feels more like a DPS race than a contest of skill.

Archived