Thieves- Help me out

Khalin.7280

Thief is my favorite class. I acknowledge that this is because I am the worst.im not the best thief i floated around 1200 elo last patch i'll freely admit thatBut i can't figure out how to make it work at all in this new expansion.

Deadeye is junk and before you say "find a good position and catch ppl off guard" the people I fight dont seem to be that dumb. If they even smell me they're on me in a snap I've got to just start kiting and my damage becomes nonexistent. maybe it works for you and i respect that but i've done my best to get it to work and it just isn't.the fact that no one else in ranked has been deadeye either makes me think it's not just meI mean i believe people when they say deadeye ruins them but ive not had a problem dealing with it and my opponents dont have a problem dealing with it either

Daredevil is around the same but now there's a new warrior spec that eats you for breakfast whether you're condi or marauder plus teamfights are over so quick you almost cant take the time to decap or you'll just lose the game

So two things;If you're a thief and you play 1200 or higher what builds have you had success with? can you help me? rescue me please.

and if on the off chance we're all in agreement that thief is pretty terrible now then Anet can you idk buff it in pvp please i mean really this is dismal. you handed down a nerf to thief in the expansion launch patch for actually no reason so i just feel insulted tbh

Thief isn't terrible but you have to learn how Thief contributes to games. Exploit your high mobility, sitting in one place like Deadeye is usually the opposite of what you should be doing. There's more to thief than just running into a fight and just doing damage, especially in Conquest where objectives matter too. Deadeye is way too situational for Conquest. While Daredevil can help you keep the other team from getting too many points.

This can help you with the build and a guide how to play it (Daredevil): https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/Pistol

Learn from : Sindrener - Twitch & Youtube He does a great job explaining what he is doing and why he does it.

i know these things already and im familiar with that build and how to use it the problem is it was working for me in the past when i was using that build in the past and it's not working for me now int he present where im using that build even though my elo is the same.thanks for the streamer link though im definitely going to check him out he's playing ranger atm tho

@Khalin.7280 said:i know these things already and im familiar with that build and how to use it the problem is it was working for me in the past when i was using that build in the past and it's not working for me now int he present where im using that build even though my elo is the same.thanks for the streamer link though im definitely going to check him out he's playing ranger atm tho

If you are playing Daredevil and you are doing all your Rotations correctly while making right calls at who/where to +1 and yet you are still losing, then there is only two possible answers: 1. Do it faster or 2. Everything is out of balance since the PoF elites are totally new and it is absolutely to be expected that class as squishy as Thief will get destroyed in no time, that will hopefully be addressed as the nerfs and patches for PoF arrive.However, if you play Deadeye with or without Rifle and you are getting killed/outmatched then sadly you have to hang in there as I am pretty sure that totally nobody has any idea how to play Deadeye properly or to its best extend, yet. So there is no "how-to" with DE just yet. You might as well be the one to come up with something!Anyways, what can help you the most in current situation is experience. Overall experience with PvP and especially Thief will be the difference between Life and Death, no matter how balanced or not balanced the PvP is at the moment. As a Thief it is of utmost importance to predict your enemy moves and behavior.Once again, Experience is gained almost exclusively through numerous amount of Failures. Do not be afraid of Failure, you don't even need to ask on Forums, as you will 100% figure out what to do yourself. People can tell you how to fight the best way, but just by reading it you won't get any better until you fail doing it enough times to actually understand why is it the best way to fight.You will get it all by yourself eventually!

I've been having a ton of success on my thief in plat with the following builds (will list purpose and application of each so you can determine what works best for you)D/P: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnYvTwwJw/EHwEVvwCxnwnGxRboTgAY3A-jpxHQBXrMAAOEA7Y/BFeCAU2RAIgPAAAThis setup is good for any match where heavy burst is your best option. It is weaker to condi so matches vs teams with lots of aoe condi are more difficult with this but still doable once you get good with positioning and such. As far as thief on thief goes it's probably the best setup you'll have to fight other thieves while contributing heavily to your team's winning ability. The big pro to this build is it's heavy mobility +stealth openers. You can get off +1's quicker and easier if you stealth and time your stuff right, the big con to the build is the demand for it to be aggressive+high ini costs makes it very easy for you to get caught out with no escapes if you aren't careful. Solid build but will require lots of practice on before you start seeing major results.

S/D Core: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnYvTwwJw/EHwEVvwCxnwnGxRboTgAY3A-jpxHQBXrMAAOEA7Y/BFeCAU2RAIgPAAAThis setup is a much more mobile set that focuses a bit more on sustained heavy damage rather than heavy bursts. It's high access to boon removal makes it a strong bunker buster and it's ability to have constant regen sustain + double steal heal allows it duel much more effectively than it's d/p counterpart listed above. It has much more condi tolerance so fighting dedicated condi builds becomes a much easier feat. The build is incredibly difficult to lock down as it has more porting and escape ability than d/p at a cost to how aggressive it can be (limited gap closers) but it is still highly effective. The pros of this build are the long range openers it has combined with the backports available giving it superior map presence and the damage modifiers available from acrobatics+da make its damage very oppressive. The big cons are the fact that it's countered (not completely but still pretty significant) by d/p due to the blinds making your big skills much harder to land so when the opposing thief is playing d/p you may be in for a rough time if you aren't outrotating them. Also a solid set that will give heavy payoff with practice just be wary that the style is more skirmish focused than in and out ganks like d/p so you will have to switch up your playstyle to make this work to it's full potential.

S/D Daredevil: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVn8lClOhFmCGOB8PhFYCTLBEA2NephzQbYuDWCbhA-jpxHQBB8BAosjAAAOEAXrMgG2fQhnAAAPretty much the same as the build above but using daredevil. Pros of this vs core is more mobility, more sustained condi removal, and heavier boon strip. Cons of this vs core is that core has more damage, more burst condi removal, and more resource regeneration ability (sustains in fights much longer than daredevil). Overall I've found the core spec more helpful but if this suits you more then it is still fully viable to run.

I'm not going to list any condi builds as they've not been nearly as effective post PoF release in terms of performance so they aren't really worth investing time into imo. But those are the ones I've been playing with for awhile, hope they are helpful to you!

Dead Eye can't carry. It's just a win-more build. If you're already going to win, you feel all-powerful and like you're MVPing.

D/P Daredevil is still good. I got to tier 3 platinum with core S/D right before the expansion came out. Ranked is a mess right now because most people don't know how to deal with other classes, and the usual solution for the average player is to blame someone else instead of think what they could do differently. You'll probably have more success running support like tempest, especially considering most matches don't have anyone supporting. With tempest you block all the pewpew projectiles for your allies and keeping your facerolling scourge alive (which is easier now since they don't go into death shroud where they couldn't be healed).

If you really want to stick with thief for the present, then it's the same as before. Always look at the minimap, always track how many people you have and how many people they have on the map, and based on that whether you need to decap or fullcap, whether you need to go help someone instead of decap, whether you should be regrouping or counter rotating ect. The easiest way to think of it is to try and always keep at least one of them on respawn. So if you get the first kill, go plus something, but not necessarily right away; like you could force some cds in the team fight first, let the other fight go on a bit, then when the enemy respawns, go get that kill which should be easier by then (unless your guy was against a counter or not so good) then zip back or over to the other point to secure the kill your team should have been able to get or almost get because they were fighting with a number advantage initially, before heading over to decap the other point before the next respawn. Now you're outnumbering and they will likely make the mistake of 1 guy going to fullcap their decapped point, while you 5v4 them and keep that snowball going. It gets hard when your team gets tunnel vision and you feel you have to point defend, eventually it becomes a 5v5 or a 5v4 against your team and you're forced to go decap, and your team lacks the thought-power to realise they need to pull out before they die, resulting in a wipe or near-wipe, and it's your turn to get snowballed. That's when you have to keep trying to decap everything to thin them out, troll 2-3 of them at a time on one point if you get the chance in order to give your team time to regroup.. because they will NOT regroup themselves.

Archived