Why do I need 30k AP just to cosplay as Gridman?

Swagg.9236

nBw5Rb8.jpg

Seriously, though, any chance to make these sets remotely attainable for people who don't dump their lives into cheevo grinding (like, just giving Radiant/Hellfire piece chests to characters at 5 birthdays and up or something)? Considering how, for a long time, AP grind was pretty effectively managed by just doing dailies along with how AP are only added to the game when content updates roll through, isn't the act of trying to hit certain AP thresholds, in effect, just waiting for more AP to magically appear out of nothing (no different than getting birthday presents on characters)? Pretty sure that the grind to PvP rank 80 before the patch which gave everybody a gorillion PvP EXP was more manageable than what it currently is to get a full set of hellfire and radiant armor anyway (and the devs themselves jokingly described how that was a grind which players would need to pass off onto their grandchildren).

There are bound to be a few rewards in game that are not attainable by the majority of players. Unfortunately for you, the hellfire and radiant chest pieces turn out to be among those rewards in this game. If it weren't those, it would be some other cosmetic piece, and I'm sure there would be other people who need to have exactly that piece of skin and nothing else and would call for a change. No matter what skin ANet chooses to be one of the few not easily attainable, there will always be people who object, but there's really nothing to do but to accept that this isn't a skin to work towards, but more something that might one day in the far future happen.

Incidentally, I couldn't care less about this skin, but will likely add it to my wardrobe sometime shortly after next tuesday's living story release. None of my ap came from grinding, just casually playing most parts of the game for 6 years (without striving for completion in any one area ... if I started to grind ap I could've easily gotten past 30k many months ago).

@Rasimir.6239 said:There are bound to be a few rewards in game that are not attainable by the majority of players. Unfortunately for you, the hellfire and radiant chest pieces turn out to be among those rewards in this game. If it weren't those, it would be some other cosmetic piece, and I'm sure there would be other people who need to have exactly that piece of skin and nothing else and would call for a change. No matter what skin ANet chooses to be one of the few not easily attainable, there will always be people who object, but there's really nothing to do but to accept that this isn't a skin to work towards, but more something that might one day in the far future happen.

Incidentally, I couldn't care less about this skin, but will likely add it to my wardrobe sometime shortly after next tuesday's living story release. None of my ap came from grinding, just casually playing most parts of the game for 6 years (without striving for completion in any one area ... if I started to grind ap I could've easily gotten past 30k many months ago).

I'm just saying how the skins were added when max AP in the game was around 20k. At that point, it's a waiting game no matter what. Not really much prestige in waiting for something to show up; about as much as manually crafting ascended armor with all of its arbitrary timegates. Why would you try to elevate it if it's something that you yourself admit that you will probably never use?

I mean, what kind of point can you really make for a gate on specific content that I can use better than you anyway?

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:There are bound to be a few rewards in game that are not attainable by the majority of players. Unfortunately for you, the hellfire and radiant chest pieces turn out to be among those rewards in this game. If it weren't those, it would be some other cosmetic piece, and I'm sure there would be other people who need to have exactly that piece of skin and nothing else and would call for a change. No matter what skin ANet chooses to be one of the few not easily attainable, there will always be people who object, but there's really nothing to do but to accept that this isn't a skin to work towards, but more something that might one day in the far future happen.

I'm just saying how the skins were added when max AP in the game was around 20k. At that point, it's a waiting game no matter what. Not really much prestige in waiting for something to show up; about as much as manually crafting ascended armor with all of its arbitrary timegates. Why would you try to elevate it if it's something that you yourself admit that you will probably never use?

I mean, what kind of point can you really make for a gate on specific content that I can use better than you anyway?It's not a gate on content, it's simply a bonus to long-time players.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

I mean, what kind of point can you really make for a gate on specific content that I can use better than you anyway?It's not a gate on content, it's simply a bonus to long-time players.

So just because I play mostly PvP, if at all, I can't get this chest piece despite playing the game off and on since beta?

@Swagg.9236 said:

So just because I play mostly PvP, if at all, I can't get this chest piece despite playing the game off and on since beta?

Apparently.

Kind of true of certain PvP only skins as weell.

I only recently capped my daily AP which sucks as it's left me a good few hundred away from that 30K goal which is something i've been looking forward to hitting for over a year now.

I'm not a WvW player or a PvPer so I've had to invest heavily in PvE AP over the last seven years and while i've missed a good few over the years and still have some left to unlock I am more or less at the mercy of new content AP to push me to that 30K mark now.Much of what I have left is mostly grindy Ap stuff or just silly AP like spend 1k gold for a pointless title..

They did the armor skin unlocking in the most derpy way possible and it still triggers me to look at it so many years later.

You start out unlocking,

3k Gloves6k Shoulders9k Helm

Then instead of continuing they force you back into choosing the opposite skin for those same 3.12k gloves15k shoulders18k helm

Finally you can continue your set of choice TWELVE THOUSAND AP later.21k boots

But guess what, boots again...24k boots

Ok now we get legs.27k legs30k chest (shocking at this point I know)

Time for backpiece! Nope...33k legs36k chest

Finally at nearly 40k ap you get backpack...39k backpiece

The only thing that can make it worse is the fact they intentionally spam us +0 AP and +1 AP achievements.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:So just because I play mostly PvP, if at all, I can't get this chest piece despite playing the game off and on since beta?Correct. Just as if if you played PvE 24/7 every hour since launch, you still wouldn't have access to WvW armor skins.

Illconceived indeed, considering how getting triumphant or glorious skins is multiple magnitudes faster and more straightforward than grinding 15,000 AP. There is effectively no comparison between the two endeavors.

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:So just because I play mostly PvP, if at all, I can't get this chest piece despite playing the game off and on since beta?Correct. Just as if if you played PvE 24/7 every hour since launch, you still wouldn't have access to WvW armor skins.

Illconceived indeed, considering how getting triumphant or glorious skins is multiple magnitudes faster and more straightforward than grinding 15,000 AP. There is effectively no comparison between the two endeavors.

The comparison is that you can put in infinite effort in PvE and still not be able to unlock WvW skins. AP reward tracks are meant to reward the longest-term loyalty; they aren't meant to be quick.

It would take me many, many more years to obtain PvP skins than AP skins. Why? Because PvP rewards aren't awarded to someone like me that can not abide playing that content. The only way I would be awarded any 'PvP AP-type points' is if they brought back the bug where one was awarded participation in PvP from some of the Festival 'pvp' games.

It probably won't seem to difficult to acquire the necessary AP five or ten years from now. Especially for those loyal players. Of course, that's no comfort to the 'I-want-it-in-less-time' players.

Archived