Canon explanation for disappearance of monks? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Canon explanation for disappearance of monks?

Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

Obviously they wanted the game to be less reliant on the trinity, but from an in universe perspective... what happened?

I vaguely remember the notion that the skills of monks spread out into new professions over the years, but there are a lot of powerful monk abilities that are just gone now.

Arguably you could say a lot of monks morphed into guardians and druids over the centuries, but I’m not finding much info on a solid canon explanation. Couldn’t find a thread focused on the subject in the lore category, so here we are.

Comments

• A lot of monk practices did evolve into the guardian (merging with paragon and ritualist practices), particularly for combat-orientated monks. This is canon lore.

IIRC, there was a comment during development that humanity still has monks, but due to the more usefulness of guardians on the battlefield, they're far less common.

All these squares make a circle.

• its clearly stated in one of the gw2 books, the 1st time we see guardians, it states they have evolved from warriors, monks, and ritualists. I forget the books name but I believe its the one about the ocean and lions arch. The main character has a doll from his dead little sister and he was the first captain of LA or whatever they call it in game.

• @Chrono.6928 said:
    its clearly stated in one of the gw2 books, the 1st time we see guardians, it states they have evolved from warriors, monks, and ritualists. I forget the books name but I believe its the one about the ocean and lions arch. The main character has a doll from his dead little sister and he was the first captain of LA or whatever they call it in game.

The name of the book is "Sea of Sorrows"

Do not rush,
    But move with a purpose.
    Dual- focus Martial arts elite spec please, Anet

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭

It's also kinda hard to keep having dedicated religious classes when the gods have gone playing hooky. The decline of human faith in GW2, as in the real world.

• Castigator.3470Castigator.3470 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019

That reminds me: Have we ever encountered a Flame Legion Guardian?
    GW1 featured a lot of Monk type spellcaster charr.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.