Fractal Firebrand and Quickness Thoughts? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Fractal Firebrand and Quickness Thoughts?

supermanboy.4592supermanboy.4592 Member

Hello everyone!

I was in a group with a firebrand recently. His group quickness and ability to pull mobs for mass aoe seemed really great. It was like being with a skilled chrono. Very smooth T4 run with lots of boons. Guardians are my first love, and seeing the great success of the run was inspiring. It seems like a great build for support, fractals or general world boss killing where people are everywhere.

Are FB a good alternative for chronos? We seemed to have quickness on all the time plus boons.

I have also read conflicting information about their dps. I thought they were full condi for huge burning. But I spoke to a frequent fractal'er, and he said his FB was zerker since it takes 10+ seconds for the full dps of a FB to get rolling. By then the mobs are dead, so you don't take full advantage of FB's dps. My last question, what are you thoughts on the following armour stats?

• Viper is recommended since FB damage is a bit hybrid, physical and condi. Though you are a glass cannon with minimal survivability.
  • As previously mentioned, the FB I spoke to said he used zerker stats since condi didn't dps wouldn't get up to full steam until after the mobs are dead (10s after combat starts, since they were likely killed already).
  • I'm a fan of versatility and including survivability. I was thinking of celestial stats. Overall you get more attributes, and you get a decent amount of defense, hit points, and healing for the regen mantra. Yes this will impact damage, but you still get 4 damage attributes: Condi, power, precision and ferocity. To be honest, this seems like the best overall but I'd still like to hear your input.

In all cases, I'd use FB runes with the burning and +10% boon sigils. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Comments

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2019

FB is rolling fractals atm, I even start to think to make second guardian and start playing FB. FBs I ran with were harrier in fractals, some with minstrel rings and /or amulet( I pug, they pug, they want some durability, we all know how unpredictable pugs can go :) ) All of them were over 150 AR to get benefits from fractal portions.
    This is the babysitting FBs I speak about.
    DPS should really be in glass cannon build as you have very little to worry about your survivability given you know mech and can dodge.

Va'esse deireádh aep eigean, va'esse eigh faidh'ar

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

I want to give-up on chrono because it's just so clunky to use in 5-man content. I'm also thinking about making a "carry" FB since I pug T4s everyday. So what's the build for that? Is it full harrier? Wouldn't that be overkill on boon duration with mist omnipots? Or should I not even bother min-maxing? Or maybe screw boon duration and go in full serk? Or just stop playing this game?

Hi.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

wait for diviner gear to come out

pew~

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019

The full Viper build is Quickbrand. Usually run with FB runes. Pretty much only provides perma quickness (minor Might and Fury, some Aegis), but has good dps, and burst isnt horrible due to burning being short high damage condition.

If you want to carry (main healer, perma Quickness, 25 Might, perma Fury, Regen, Protection etc) , go full harrier FB, with some Magi or whatever else you prefer, due to free boon dura from potions for Fractals.

Keep in mind, FB doesn't directly replace Chrono, unless you don't want Alacrity.
    You either run it with a Chrono, or a Rev, at least for difficult content like CM's.

For T4's and Recs, sure, things die quickly enough that you don't really need Alacrity, and you can run Harrier FB, BS, 3 DPS.

"As you know, those who you once called friends have become enemies." ~Glint

• Yasi.9065Yasi.9065 Member ✭✭✭

Our full zerker fb with pack runes, concentration sigil and soul pastries does about the dps of our bannerwarrior. Definitely depends on the amount of time we need to phase.
    For pulls you got GS5 + F1 tome, skill 3, which surprisingly is pretty much enough. Axe on occasion, though its not strictly necessary and a scepter is more dps imo.
    We are a bit struggling on might, but then we havent forced our bannerwarrior yet to run strength runes, only dumplings as food for PS trait to trigger.
    Precast on singularity usually is banners + alacrity (renegade ofc) + elite shout and mantras. GGing is generally kept to a bare minimum, since re-casting mantras is painful and eats just way too much time.
    For skips we either have a tempest or a daredevil, and everyone brings a xera portal.
    All in all, it works very well and is really quite comfortable. I honestly can say, that I wouldnt want to go back to chrono... alone the amount of time spent with chrono on singularity precast is ridiculous and totally destroys fractals for me.

But this is current status, lets see what next tuesday brings. Either firebrand or renegade will have to be flexible to run as a healer maybe, and Im now rather swayed towards keeping renegade purely as a power specc and switching on firebrand. But this all depends on so many not-yet disclosed factors... like is the leaked instability rework really coming? How much extra dps would be boonrip on spb, how much for renegade. How much dmg do you get from certain instabilities... how much condi remove do you need.... do you need perma protection.... how much dps really IS power renegade with diviners, etc.

For fractals, Id tell you to wait until tuesday.

• stone cold.8609stone cold.8609 Member ✭✭✭

I've tried Yasi's build (thanks again for sharing!) in lower level fractals and it works really well! I haven't geared it up for higher level fractals because I'm waiting to see what shakes out in the patch on Tuesday.

• I pug t4 fractals each day too so yes, having the survivability is nice. Maybe I'll just make a FB with celestial for random world events and bosses to have my cake and eat it too without worrying about trying to keep up boons permanently. Though in the Palawadan events I've been testing FB in, it seems I don't heal since there is so much splash heal from everyone else + barriers, seems as though everyone is always topped up.

Honestly, a harrier (or givers/minstrel) firebrand is a good investment. Worst case you can play it as healer or respectively healer-tank in raids, except VG mid and Deimos ranged you can tank everything on minstrel/givers firebrand quite nicely.

Zerker firebrand atm might be just a fluke, I cant really tell yet. Or it might become the new meta in fractals with renegade on harrier for pugs. Who knows exactly whats gonna get preferred.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yasi.9065 said:
    Zerker firebrand atm might be just a fluke, I cant really tell yet. Or it might become the new meta in fractals with renegade on harrier for pugs. Who knows exactly whats gonna get preferred.

While Berserker Firebrand sounds meh, I think Diviner Firebrand may become a thing... If you run Retribution instead of Virtues, you can easily get 100% crit chance and some increased ferocity since you'll have 100% boon duration. And you can still run mantra of potency for that quickness for everyone.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Scout (Rank 4789) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Calamis Fatima, Suzuhara Suzuka, Hanna Flintlocke, Kawagima, Lilian Mistwalker, Bjarl of Souls, Sabetha Deadeye, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

You sacrifice way too much dmg that way, then you can also just go harrier fb and camp scepter.

• Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Yasi.9065 said:

While Berserker Firebrand sounds meh, I think Diviner Firebrand may become a thing... If you run Retribution instead of Virtues, you can easily get 100% crit chance and some increased ferocity since you'll have 100% boon duration. And you can still run mantra of potency for that quickness for everyone.

Why does Berserker FB sound worse than Diviner? FB needs only 12% boon duration for perma quickness. Fractal potion overcaps that already. You don't run Virtues on a Berserker FB either.
    Diviner FB wont even become a thing in raids. Concentration sigil + 1-2 trinkets or food is enough there aswell. Or just condi with firebrand runes.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Yasi.9065 said:

Why does Berserker FB sound worse than Diviner? FB needs only 12% boon duration for perma quickness. Fractal potion overcaps that already. You don't run Virtues on a Berserker FB either.
    Diviner FB wont even become a thing in raids. Concentration sigil + 1-2 trinkets or food is enough there aswell. Or just condi with firebrand runes.

To give a higher uptime in the other boons? Last I checked, Firebrand also gave Protection, Fury, Regen, Retaliation, Vigor, Stability and Aegis. This is specially useful if you are running it with Renegade which only gives Alacrity and Might.

Maybe it won't become meta, but it will definetely increase the speed of the runs of people running 2 pure supports.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Scout (Rank 4789) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Calamis Fatima, Suzuhara Suzuka, Hanna Flintlocke, Kawagima, Lilian Mistwalker, Bjarl of Souls, Sabetha Deadeye, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Yasi.9065 said:

Part Diviner could make sense. Depends on how much gain can be had from not using Concentration sigil (difficult since 10% flat bonus is the highest you can get on sigils) and trinkets. Remember, 4 stat gear has more total stats meaning if you can compensate the loss in power for concentration in other areas, Diviner might outperform berserker in raids.

For fractals, the already used potions cover everything needed.

• Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Yasi.9065 said:

To give a higher uptime in the other boons? Last I checked, Firebrand also gave Protection, Fury, Regen, Retaliation, Vigor, Stability and Aegis. This is specially useful if you are running it with Renegade which only gives Alacrity and Might.

Maybe it won't become meta, but it will definetely increase the speed of the runs of people running 2 pure supports.

Dps Fb doesnt provide any of that boons except fury if he takes axe instead. Diviner is a power set. Run Support if you want to play support FB. The build you need to provide those boons is simply not worth it to run on a dps FB.

In fractals its differently, at least atm for us since we arent a full static. We cant force pug power bs to run strength runes, we would never be able to fill that slot then. So, might and part of fury and protection has to be covered by firebrand as well.

Might (ha!) be differently with the comp becoming more popular, but atm you have to get more boon duration than you need for quickness.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.