For the people who wants Gw3. Are you kidding me?

So I just read an article on mmorpg.com and there was an article about Guild Wars. After I read it I ask myself a question: "why do people want to have another Guildwars MMO? Why do you want to divide the player population into 3 games? Guild Wars 2 is still a very potential MMORPG. Anet can remaster it when the right time comes with or without expansion and I believe there will be more than 1 expansion which will release every 2 years or so. Look at WoW, the game has been there for more than a decade. There were some good expansions and there were some that not even good like Catalysm or World of Draenor. But, after all there is always one game and one player base. In my opinion, I really want that because I am not young anymore and I want to stick with a game that I have invested my time and money on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you blame them the balancing feels like a comply mess updates are come out slower and slower. New content is getting less and less.

That and there are going to be new mmorpg (one day lol) and gw2 will no longer be the only mmorpg out there that is fun to play.

I like to see an expansion to gw2 with some though to a gw3. 2019 maybe a good year for over all mmorpgs (or the worst yet we are not sure if the new batch are going to be good or if they are even coming out in 2019) and gw2 is going to be the mmorpg of the past.

The main reason (I believe) is:People assume that a new MMO will fix all their grievances and be tailor built to their liking.

It is the same reason why people got hyped for Blade and Soul, Archage, Black Desert Online, [insert any other failed new MMO over the last X years], etc. and also a major reason why new MMOs fail. People try them and realize, the games have just as many (if not more) flaws compared to their previous MMO but are now not hundreds or thousands of hours invested.

The reality is, for a MMO to succeed, it needs to:

• garner a big enough player base or remain niche or get canceled (see Warhammer Online or other MMOs which got cancelled)
  • be better in at least some areas than the competition. Very possible from a technical standpoint, especially graphically, way harder from a design standpoint since established MMOs went through a refinement and improvement (GW2 has developed a lot since release, so has WoW, Eve Online, etc.)
  • offer enough content to players compared to the competition to hold players long enough so the game developes
  • be fun (I know, seems obvious but how many of the new MMOs over the last few year managed to be fun to enough people?)
  • be monetized in a way that funds the developer/publisher while not bleeding the players (hi there BDO)
  • actually convince players who have invested thousands of hours into a different MMO to start from scratch as well as either move their entire community or restart with a new community group in a new MMO

People just like to let their thoughts run wild. They like to imagine that the next big thing will be what they always wanted. Rational thought has little to do with any of this.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

GW3 may happen one day, but it's not in the near future. Much like how Warcraft(1994) became World of Warcraft(2004) a decade later, GuildWars(2005) also made the jump and became GW2(2012). The only problem is WoW has been going strong adding new xpacs and attracting new players. Same thing is happening with GW2 which is still only in their own toddler years of Xpacs with only 2 so far. There are many more Xpacs to come before GW2 will close shop and advance into GW3. Heck they may even do all that inside the GW2 sphere as long as they are still able to be profitable. GW2 still has a whole planet of unexplored areas to release. (even places not visited in GW1.) Anet clung on to Guildwars much longer then Blizzard clung on to Warcraft, so i'd imagine it's going to be a long, long time before GW3 happens. Only thing that would push a new jump sooner is if graphic engines made a leap in technology and they couldn't update the game inside GW2.

*unrealistic idea probs : GW3 in VR :D hehe**they might even eventually add new planets which means new races? But that might be a GW3 thing.

I'd say GW3 is frankly not going to happen.

The first reason for this is that it's easier to iteratively develop an MMO from an older version to a new one than it is to re-do all the content from scratch. There are developers who do this with non-MMO titles as well.

The second reason is ArenaNet is hiring staff for an engine that is not usable for an MMO. It's possible that they may be developing something in the same universe, but to avoid confusion I'm fairly certain it won't be called GW3.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The main reason (I believe) is:People assume that a new MMO will fix all their grievances and be tailor built to their liking.

Excellently put, that is exactly it. They assume that this time they'll get it "right" and it'll be perfect for them.

Which ignores the simple fact that if you were to ask 10 people what that perfect MMO would look like you'll get 10 different answers.

@"Jski.6180" said:Can you blame them the balancing feels like a comply mess updates are come out slower and slower. New content is getting less and less.

While I agree that GW2 has many flaws, you are wrong here: there are more frequent updates these days than there used to be. What is missing is content with a real replayability.

That and there are going to be new mmorpg (one day lol) and gw2 will no longer be the only mmorpg out there that is fun to play.

"The only MMORPG that is fun to play"?? Never heard of The Elder Scrolls Online, I take it? ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Jski.6180" said:Can you blame them the balancing feels like a comply mess updates are come out slower and slower. New content is getting less and less.

While I agree that GW2 has many flaws, you are wrong here: there are more frequent updates these days than there used to be. What is missing is content with a real replayability.

It has slowed down and i am more talking about balance updates not as much pve (and pve updates have slowed down). I am not trying to say its a bad or good thing just the truth about the life of the game.

"The only MMORPG that is fun to play"?? Never heard of The Elder Scrolls Online, I take it? ;)

I like the world but eso was always too floatly combat. I like very responsive combat.

They think that a new game would fix all their grievances and they forget it will be made and the game balanced by the same people they complain about. They also ignore the time and money it would take (years and millions of dollars) and wave off what would happen to the old game. Are they willing to play gw2 for years with very little new content while the devs put all their energy making a new game? Will ANet have two actively updated but same themed MMOs and split their player base or will gw2 run on maintenance like gw1, and still split the player base as some won’t move on and some new players will want to play the old game since the core at least will be free.

What happens to all the account upgrades and cosmetics? They’ll be left behind in the old game, which will make some players very unhappy. In addition, what happens to Anet’s profits when they announce gw3 is in production? Will people still be buying account upgrades and cosmetics from the gemstore knowing all that will be lost when the new game starts? I don’t think so. I think their profits will tank once they make the announcement. ANet will have to be living off saved and borrowed money for several years and hope they recoup that money with the new game.

I can’t see gw3 ever being made. Gw2 was made because they wanted to move from a niche lobby game with Instanced maps to an full fledged MMO capable of attracting more players. What will gw3 get them that gw2 doesn’t?

There are some benefits to making a new MMO instead of releasing more addons. Still, imo it's too early to talk about a GW3.

• New/updated engine. This wouldn't be possible in GW2 because all content would need to be updated and a lot of stuff would break.
  • Release hype and huge player numbers. Players who are looking to get into an MMO are mostly looking for recently released or soon to be released ones. Barely anyone wants to get into a 7yo game.

Still, I don't think it's worth it yet. The engine might be aged, but the difference to newer games isn't that huge and the playerbase is still sufficient.

Never touch a running system, until someone creates a better system.

I do would like to have a new gw3, with up to date graphics, modern combat system, better effort/reward ratio and the like, though the current devs simply lack the competence to create such mmo. This is what happens when devs lose the vision they had at the beginning. Well, if there are even any original devs left.

Because Gw2 is excellent only in artwork (prop and hat off to the artwork team).

The cons of the game:Bad balance since its a game for casuals.PvP gamemodes are a totally disaster due poor mechanics or importance to the game itself or how guilds content is zero.Pve is a story to keep your 111111 on keyboard presses most of time xD (all its needed its DPS and dodges), most tend to be good actually due artwork and decent lore.Guilds are useless in this game, they have been transformed in chat rooms.It is a game based on DX9... old as Fword, lacks most recent improvements of Dx12 with would make game run smoother, Anet keeps increasing the aoe spam.Gw2 is also heavy on the hardware CPU and GPU."Invisible damage", game wont render everythign that is thrown at the player, u just will see its a ranger skill due combat log and hit animation on player.

Its a game that went old 3-4 years after launch.

@"Frozenize.9603" said:So I just read an article on mmorpg.com and there was an article about Guild Wars. After I read it I ask myself a question: "why do people want to have another Guildwars MMO? Why do you want to divide the player population into 3 games? Guild Wars 2 is still a very potential MMORPG. Anet can remaster it when the right time comes with or without expansion and I believe there will be more than 1 expansion which will release every 2 years or so. Look at WoW, the game has been there for more than a decade. There were some good expansions and there were some that not even good like Catalysm or World of Draenor. But, after all there is always one game and one player base. In my opinion, I really want that because I am not young anymore and I want to stick with a game that I have invested my time and money on.

I agree with you. They should and could remaster gw2 if they really want to and continue this story as long as they can. Making a Gw3 now could be their grave. People dont understand that when and if gw3 is available, content will be coming in way slower since they would have to pretty much start from 0 again as they relearn the new systems it takes to make the game. Raytracing is a niche tech that isnt remotely good now. Most people play with shadows/reflections off because they want that high framerate. Now when the technology gets good enough to hold thousands of players on an instance, then and only then should anet consider a gw3. But honestly when that day comes maybe they should have a new ip for a new generation of players.

Why did the devs make GW2 in the first place?Why did we get excited about it?

They had a ton of bold new ideas and a completely new concept for how the game would play that they could not execute in GW1. Its clear that all their new ideas now for maps, gameplay, etc. can be accomplished thanks to Living World and expansions. GW2 is a successful, lucrative, and populated game, not "dying" like some claim without any proof. People say "well the game is out of balance and waiting 3 months for giant mini expansions is just too long!" but it's all the same devs and the same amount of time to work. A new game doesn't suddenly mean those things change. Do you really want content to dry up completely so you can wait five years for a new game? Because MMOs take an exceptionally long time to build, especially if they wanted to top the game we have now.

The devs have no reason to make a completely new game, and I have no reason to want one.

@Jski.6180 said:Can you blame them the balancing feels like a comply mess updates are come out slower and slower. New content is getting less and less.

Balancing will always be a futile problem so long as the devs continue changing things accross the board rather than when needed in each specific game mode.As for new content.. the game has never been in a better place for it.. I've no idea why you feel it's getting less when it's clearly better and more regular than ever.

There are plenty of good MMO's out there.. there's no reason you need to limit yourself to one of them.Gw2 is my main but I have 7 others installed and play from time to time.

I like to see an expansion to gw2 with some though to a gw3. 2019 maybe a good year for over all mmorpgs (or the worst yet we are not sure if the new batch are going to be good or if they are even coming out in 2019) and gw2 is going to be the mmorpg of the past.

Gw3 is unnecessary and will remain unnecessary until the developers find Gw2 far too limiting to do what they want to do.We don't need a Gw3.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:GW3 would only be worth it if it would support bleeding edge graphic API (DX 12 with multi threaded optimizations and raytracing)

A quick note here: in lots of good games, the part of the software that is responsible for rendering can be efficiently split from the rest of the game. Which is why you can find mods for games from the 90s supporting higher directx rendering capabilities, even though those versions of directx were created decades after the game was released. In the "old" days this was the normal for video games, as they allowed the players to choose the graphics API they wanted to render the game, for example selecting between software, opengl or glide (before directx)

This means that a bleeding edge graphics API can be added to a game post launch, it doesn't have to be created from scratch to allow for it. Modders have been doing it for years, so a big company like Arenanet could potentially add DX 12 support and multi threaded optimizations to the game. I suspect they aren't doing it because it was stated by the developers themselves, moving to DX12 wouldn't "fix" the game's bottleneck, the game isn't held back by the rendering engine, but by the game code itself, that's hard, if not impossible to change post launch.

tl;dr Moving to DX12 (or DX11 or whatever other graphics API) would only speed up the rendering performance, which isn't the bottleneck in this game.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Malediktus.9250" said:GW3 would only be worth it if it would support bleeding edge graphic API (DX 12 with multi threaded optimizations and raytracing)

A quick note here: in lots of good games, the part of the software that is responsible for rendering can be efficiently split from the rest of the game. Which is why you can find mods for games from the 90s supporting higher directx rendering capabilities, even though those versions of directx were created decades after the game was released. In the "old" days this was the normal for video games, as they allowed the players to choose the graphics API they wanted to render the game, for example selecting between software, opengl or glide (before directx)

This means that a bleeding edge graphics API can be added to a game post launch, it doesn't have to be created from scratch to allow for it. Modders have been doing it for years, so a big company like Arenanet could potentially add DX 12 support and multi threaded optimizations to the game. I suspect they aren't doing it because it was stated by the developers themselves, moving to DX12 wouldn't "fix" the game's bottleneck, the game isn't held back by the rendering engine, but by the game code itself, that's hard, if not impossible to change post launch.

tl;dr Moving to DX12 (or DX11 or whatever other graphics API) would only speed up the rendering performance, which isn't the bottleneck in this game.

I am sure a proper DX12 implementation would take a lot of work and nothing on the scale of a community mod. I am not talking of half assing it. In an MMO that would hypothetically get released in 5 years I want tesselation, ray tracing, hairworks, faceworks and all the other good stuff that has been implemented after DX 9c.

If they were to make GW3 they would need to do what Runescape 3 did when they transitioned from Runescape 2. They would need to carry over all items and achievements and basically make it so you go to the same place/have the same launcher. Not that I want that to happen, but if it did I would want it to happen that way.

@Jski.6180 said:Can you blame them the balancing feels like a comply mess updates are come out slower and slower. New content is getting less and less.

Do you just say whatever without realizing? Updates are slower? Based on what? We get the same amount as we ever had at the same frequency.

Anyways, people think GW3 would be a 'fixed' GW2 ... boy, have they got lots to learn.

Archived