What profession should i pick?

Sorem.9157

I have been meaning to get into WvW for awhile now and i want something that i can use both for solo/small skirmishes and big zerg fights. I do not have much WvW experience but i am eager to learn and want to play a profession that can allow me to have the most experience possible. Versality, probably, is the main thing.

I'd prefer a heavy armor profession, i was considering either Guardian or Revenant, but i am really open to anything.

Suggestions?

Find a guild, see what they need, roll that.

You won't find any enjoyment in WvW otherwise. It's just not good solo. Large group fights can be painful as well when joining an unorganized pug zerg.

Your best experience is to find a commander you really enjoy following, get into their guild, find a role they need in order to contribute, have fun playing with an organized team.

WvW has currently a 4 class Meta for zergs.

Scourge is the easiest class to play and also get the most loot.

Firebrand is your first boon bot.His job is to make sure your scourges survive and have perma quickness.

Rev‘s job is to give your scourges Swiftness, might and fury.But you can also do some dmg.

Weaver is for people who think scourge is boring and love some risk.A good weaver can be a kill machine.The more berserker gear the better.

Mesmer is currently more like a toolbox for the commander.Port, veil etc.If love support and no loot or thanks , thats the perfect job.

I can count the amount of warriors i have see In the last two weeks on one hand.

Enemy and allies.

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:Mesmer is currently more like a toolbox for the commander.You know toolboxes that was once in perfect order but after a while is just a complete mess and when you try to take a screwdriver out its halfway to the bottom so when you grab it and pull you get all the other tools with you and they just scatter all over the floor, many more tools that should ever have fit inside that box?

And when you triumphantly show it to your wife she just goes "its alright I fixed it, dont need it anymore".

Thats the mesmer.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:Mesmer is currently more like a toolbox for the commander.You know toolboxes that was once in perfect order but after a while is just a complete mess and when you try to take a screwdriver out its halfway to the bottom so when you grab it and pull you get all the other tools with you and they just scatter all over the floor, many more tools that should ever have fit inside that box?

And when you triumphantly show it to your wife she just goes "its alright I fixed it, dont need it anymore".

Thats the mesmer.

+1. Good one!

@juno.1840 said:Find a guild, see what they need, roll that.

You won't find any enjoyment in WvW otherwise. It's just not good solo. Large group fights can be painful as well when joining an unorganized pug zerg.

Your best experience is to find a commander you really enjoy following, get into their guild, find a role they need in order to contribute, have fun playing with an organized team.

Who decided that its no enjoyment for solo or smallscale player?

The classes that are very common in zergs are rather uncommon in smallscale/roamingIf you have little group to roam with you might aswell support them with firebrand, that you also use in a zerg, they are useless as soloroamers tho.Revs are better at soloroaming but rather hard to master and get chased down by thiefs for example, the lack of mobillity without environmental npc animal stuff that you can use as target hurts them (same goes for stuff like meditation/sword guard)Necro is only good in smallscale groups, bad in solo.Mesmer is full support in zergs and full. Dmg in smallscale/solo.

In roaming you mostly want high dmg, high mobility and at best some stealth on top. Thats why thief, mirage, soulbeast and maybe holo are the top dogs there. In zergs you want aoe dmg or aoe support to fill out your zerg.There isnt rly a class anymore that can just get one set of gear and shine in both worlds.

Warrior would be one of those few, but honestly its just mediocre in both worlds, after the nerfs rarely seen in zergs and due to lack of stealth n stuff slackung behind the better roaming classes.

@juno.1840 said:Find a guild, see what they need, roll that.

^This. They can teach you basically everything about this game mode, give you builds for your class and tips and tricks. Also you have people so roam after guild raids.

If you just don't want to find a guild here is my two cents: Warrior does good in zerg and is quite strong at roaming. Guard and Revenant are meta in zergs and also good for roaming. So, if you mainly want big zerg fights, I suggest Guard or Rev. For small scales and solo roaming Warrior is probably doing better over all.

My experience is the following: In the beginning 5 or 6 years ago I played a lot with friends and guildies and we usually did small scales. It was a lot of fun getting to know the others, their way to play, their builds and so on. But the group eventually fall apart and I stopped playing WvW.Then, 6 month ago I started playing WvW again because I wanted to get a legendary WvW-armor - so I just started solo roaming. In the beginning, it was ok (yes, my goal was farming pips; nothing else) but soon I got bored and it was really just about the pips... That's why I suggest that you follow juno's advice and find people to play with first. Nice guild mates are the best incentive to stay motivated over a longer period.

@Sorem.9157 said:solo/small skirmishes and big zerg fights [...] not much WvW experience [...] Versality, probably, is the main thing. [...] heavy armor profession [...] either Guardian or Revenant, but i am really open to anythingn [...] Suggestions?All 3 heavy armor classes can do this, to a degree. I would not recommend Rev, cause its too hard for solo roaming as a starting class imo. Maybe you bring some exp from sPvP?

Dragon Hunter is quite easy to learn in roaming, but has a hard time vs. Meta builds. Core-Guard is too hard to start with imo. For Zergs, Firebrand is Meta, but you would have to completely switch your skills, traits, and playstyle, when switching between roaming and zerg.

So, my recommendation would be Spellbreaker. Only some few minor changes are needed, when switching between roaming and zerg. Easy for beginners, for both activities. You can even start with some vita, or even toughness, on your gear, to ease the start, if youre a complete newb ;) Later on, you have multiple choices: play DPS in Zerg, go core warrior for roaming, lots of weapon, skill, and trait choices imo.

Archived