Breakdown of mesmer defenses, and why it's absurd. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Breakdown of mesmer defenses, and why it's absurd.

RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2019 in PVP

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAb3/GFMDWoBMMjlXDrUvJa43/CgHQ0AQO5IA

scepter+focus or pistol. focus takes desperate decoy, pistol takes duelist's discipline.

5 blinds which are essentially 5 1s invuln frames

1s invuln on dodge with 100% vigor uptime

invuln on f4, 1-4s + 1-4 mirrors for an additional 1-4s.

2 target breaks, at absolute worst 1s of people trying to see which is the real mesmer out of the pile of clones

minimum 2 stealths, both instant. 3 with decoy, also instant. breaks target again.

scepter block, 4.75s CD

focus or pistol disable, diversion x1-4, torch disable, mantra disable x2 if chosen. hope you can upkeep stab 100% of the time!

additionally, you can't kill the clones because they are also... you guessed it! invuln. Do you know why mesmer's invuln is SO MUCH BETTER than every other classes? every single invuln on every class except mesmer does not allow you to attack while they are active. making you choose between attacking and being invulnerable to condition damage, power damage, and crowd control. mesmer does not share that liability... no....no, mesmer attacks are even BETTER while they're invulnerable! because no one queried anyone over the age of 10 before deciding that was a positive concept for a game. name one competitive game where one player can freely and without fear of retaliation hammer on another player for 20 seconds straight. try and name one person who thinks that's a good concept for a game.

all of these have 0 cast time and cannot be interrupted, this means they can be chained together while still outputting damage. 20 stacks of confusion and torment stop you from moving or casting, not that it matters since you can't actually hit the mirage regardless.

whoever is in charge of balance needs to be fired and replaced with someone that gives a kitten about the players. every fight with a mirage is a matter of staying alive for 20s while you are completely powerless to fight back, then they just run and reset at will. in 30s it starts all over again. this is obviously not fun to play against.

<1

Comments

• BadMed.3846BadMed.3846 Member ✭✭✭

Totally agree. Mesmers have been beyond a joke for a while now. Please nerf properly and bring them to an even playing field.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arheundel.6451 said:
    Inb4 all the mesmer mains come with their L2P arguments and why it's your fault for dieing to them...mesmer community since HoT launch

Don't worry, this one can't be bothered to rise to the bait. Will let someone else do it.

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

Surely you meant to take Ineptitude over Deceptive Evasion?

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

• everyman.4375everyman.4375 Member ✭✭✭

I'd realy love to see how you're doing damage and being invulnerable for 20 sec straight, while applying 20 stacks of confusion of course.

• RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭

@Crinn.7864 said:

Surely you meant to take Ineptitude over Deceptive Evasion?

nope, deceptive evasion. scepter block, dodge, ambush, shatter. repeat every 5s until they die or you run out of shatters. then swap to axe/t. extra clone always gets to attack applying more confusion, torment, and bleeding. don't get me wrong, you can run either as it's a moot point, you'll still win every fight

@everyman.4375 said:
    I'd realy love to see how you're doing damage and being invulnerable for 20 sec straight, while applying 20 stacks of confusion of course.

so you haven't fought a mesmer this month at all then?

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@everyman.4375 said:

so you haven't fought a mesmer this month at all then?

I have, i also main mesmer wich i guess could make me a bit biased, but i try to stay as neutral as possible.

• Curennos.9307Curennos.9307 Member ✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

Does this mean Thief Pistol 5 is a invulnerability field?

Would you like me to delve into pistol 5 and explain how it works and its limitations? Not sure why you would even bring it up.

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    This build doesn't even get close to 100% Vigor Uptime. Like maybe 20%.

It's 30% from dueling alone? False oasis + leadership runes. I didn't fully fill out the build because that's how many options it has and can still be invuln.

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

If you can get someone to actually stand in pistol 5 then yes it kind've is.

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

It's 30% from dueling alone? False oasis + leadership runes. I didn't fully fill out the build because that's how many options it has and can still be invuln.

The most common amulets, sages or carrion, will leave you with 5% crit chance. Good lucky keeping 30% uptime with that.

Why would you pick either over deadshot? Precision/condi damage/vitality/expertise

You don't have anything that scales with healing power so sages is out right off the bat. Carrion I could see, but honestly you shouldn't get hit at all in the first place

• ezd.6359ezd.6359 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

If you can get someone to actually stand in pistol 5 then yes it kind've is.

No.
    1) It pulses. It will work vs may be half of warriors 100h blades, rest will hit (and kill you).
    2) Many classes can clear condi or apply resist.

To the build. Blind/Invisibility will not make you immune to damage. While you have 0 condi clear, you will die from random AOEs from any source.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

The most common amulets, sages or carrion, will leave you with 5% crit chance. Good lucky keeping 30% uptime with that.

Why would you pick either over deadshot? Precision/condi damage/vitality/expertise

You don't have anything that scales with healing power so sages is out right off the bat. Carrion I could see, but honestly you shouldn't get hit at all in the first place

I have never seen someone take deadshot the most common amulets are sage, wizard and carrion

@Ryan.9387 said:
    If you took all of that you would do no damage. Also you spec more than you can actually run.

On one hand the defense is broken, but anet has done a good job toning it down via vigor duration/adventure rune/energy sigil/jaunt/elusive mind nerfs.

At this point mesmer is in a decent place. Most builds have a clear condi cleanse problem and are seriously vulnerable to condi builds that can apply damage. Mesmers who take elusive mind lose damage dodge uptime due to exhaustion. Portal nerfs have made mirage less oppressive on the map now that it is non viable in solo queue.

From someone who plays condi mirage at a very high level, it has losing/incredibly touchy matchups vs boonbeast/conversion holo/condi thief. It also has a tough time vs sd ele/coreguard. What it does well is burst almost like a condi version of power thief with excellent mobility.

So tldr its okay. It doesnt have great 1v1 matchups and since the tool it used to make up for that fact (portal) is now non viable, its no longer is oppressive in pvp.

Uhhh... this still pumps plenty of damage. You're literally untouchable with the amount of iframe and blind uptime.

If you're losing to anything on mirage right now in a 1v1 you can't be that high of a level man. I can see stalemating a conversion holo or boonbeast, but you have excellent disengage tools to not actually lose to either.

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019

@Derm.4932 said:
    I'm surprised nobody is talking about Auspicious Anguish. A while ago they went and blanket nerfed all impactful traits that activate on CC by increasing CDs to 90s. These were:

Gale Song, Reactive Lenses, Hunter's Determination, Dark Defiance, Shared Anguish, Hard to Catch, Last Stand, Eye for an Eye, and the old auspicious anguish. All of these skills were skills that activated upon disable and were meant to "save" you.

Then they went back and buffed ONLY the mesmer one, adding distortion reset, which is far more powerful than the rest of these traits, and lowered the cooldown to 50 seconds, while the other classes get jack kitten. Hard not to agree with the people saying class favoritism when you see changes like this.

I talked about it when it was released and how it was dumb for rewarding you when you messed up:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/63137/auspicious-anguish

Guess what? No-one seems to care about sorting out the power creeped mess. You have PvE players spamming Pogchamp whenever a buff like this comes out then whining to high heaven when it leaves because they used to like it despite most PvE being so easy you can play it while having a lobotomy....or in the case of the average GW2 player after said procedure.

Edit: I also raised awareness of mantra of pain and how spammable it is and how it gives 12 stacks of might all the time for easy damage, likewise no-one cares.

• Mbelch.9028Mbelch.9028 Member ✭✭✭✭

Easiest fix for mesmer is to bring them in line with every other profession. If you are invulnerable, all of your other skills are locked. You cannot dodge while cc'd unless elusive mind is traited. Fixed

@RisenHowl.2419 said:
    Easiest fix for mesmer is to bring them in line with every other profession. If you are invulnerable, all of your other skills are locked. You cannot dodge while cc'd unless elusive mind is traited. Fixed

being able to attack while dodging is kind of the theme of mirage so you can't realy change that.

• Solori.6025Solori.6025 Member ✭✭✭✭

@everyman.4375 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

being able to attack while dodging is kind of the theme of mirage so you can't realy change that.

They would need to redesign mirage from the ground up. Even if they did though. People will still complain. As Pyro said months ago. Mirage is made from a gimmick. It will either be really good. Or really really bad. The community won't allow it to be anything else.

Tingle my stingleberry

• lLobo.7960lLobo.7960 Member ✭✭✭

The fact that Axe 2 has ammo and really low CD on that just blows my mind (pun unintended)

• tinyreborn.1938tinyreborn.1938 Member ✭✭✭

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

scepter+FOCUS or pistol. focus takes desperate decoy, pistol takes duelist's discipline.

How about you go and uninstall ?

@everyman.4375 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

have ambush begin when dodge ends, or there needs to be a penalty on all of the core mesmer defenses when you choose the mirage specialization, as there is with scourge. just like scourge was, it's way too overloaded and there's a precedent on how to fix that.

at the very least distortion should be treated this way, both from signets and from f4. There isn't a single good reason why mesmer should be the only class with an invulnerable core mechanic that doesn't behave the way that every other class's does.

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

scepter+FOCUS or pistol. focus takes desperate decoy, pistol takes duelist's discipline.

How about you go and uninstall ?

wow, edgy. plenty of people using focus now, great way to peel by creating a gap or set up confounding suggestions

@RisenHowl.2419 said:
    wow, edgy. plenty of people using focus now, great way to peel by creating a gap or set up confounding suggestions

??????????????
    Ye tell me more how worst weapon outclassed torch/pistol/sword in offhand slot.Do you even know how CS work ? I didnt even mention the rest of your post. Good source of memes like blind =1s invulnerability and so on

edited January 8, 2019

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

??????????????
    Ye tell me more how worst weapon outclassed torch/pistol/sword in offhand slot.Do you even know how CS work ? I didnt even mention the rest of your post. Good source of memes like blind =1s invulnerability and so on

If blind = invuln then that means necro's have had invuln since day 1
    LOL

Tingle my stingleberry

• Aza.2105Aza.2105 Member ✭✭✭

@Solori.6025 said:

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

??????????????

LOL

I think what he should of said is mitigation not invul. I can understand what he means though.

@Aza.2105 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

??????????????

LOL

I think what he should of said is mitigation not invul. I can understand what he means though.

He had plenty of chances to correct it. But instead continued on the invuln direction which I guess is the new meme for the new year.

It's interesting people would consider blind to be a factor in anything when EVERY CLASS has access to some sort of conversion, removal, or cleanse.
    I would love to see a class that has access to none of that right now.

Tingle my stingleberry

• @Flumek.9043 said:
    As stated and confirmed with videos, arenanet balance devs are ultra casual aka plain begginner level bad.

They do duels on keep , with mystic builds (at least 1 utility is a random offmeta spirit weapon) , and they have reaction time of a skill clicker. Maybe theyre intentionally playing mouse only for testing purpose, but the purpose doesnt matter compared to results:

At THAT level, the game IS BALANCED AND ANYTHING can happen. much fun gj

Oh god I remember Tempest's specialization preview where he died to svanir (or was it the bear). Jesus I quit playing ele for a while when i saw that.

• ferbz.6987ferbz.6987 Member ✭✭

@Solori.6025 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

??????????????

LOL

He had plenty of chances to correct it. But instead continued on the invuln direction which I guess is the new meme for the new year.

It's interesting people would consider blind to be a factor in anything when EVERY CLASS has access to some sort of conversion, removal, or cleanse.

Not a factor, but you are missing the point, whether he is using the right terms or not. Mirage is overturned, overpower, choose what ever word you want. It is a class that has every defensive mechanism every other class has and more (while being able to chain them to be "un-killable" for lets say at least 10 seconds, you know its more tho) AND being able to apply ample pressure to kill any average player in matter of seconds with 0 risk ALL at the same time. How could I forgot... while being one of the most mobile classes as well! Be honest, no one wants to say their main be nerfed but current state Mirage has too much, even after the nerfs, that should tell you something. I will add soulbeasts in as well, not as cheese but close.

• Aza.2105Aza.2105 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019

@Solori.6025 said:

It just seems like he is improperly using the word, it happens. Its not a big deal. So about blind, yes nearly all classes have it and you can remove it with cleanse. But who spends their condi removal just for blind? Additionally, blind its self isn't a big deal. But when you begin to combine it with lots of ways to negate damage. as well as being able to overload the target with screen clutter and pressure then it can be seen as a problem. I think the point the OP is trying to make is that Mirage has a extraordinary amount of ways to avoid damage while simultaneously dealing it.

If I had to ask you are any other person what is the weakness of Mirage? What would you say? And could you prove without a doubt that if you exploit this weakness you have a shot at winning? I believe the key issue is that Mirage really doesn't have a exploitable weakness. That is the definition of over performing. I'm sure you and others will disagree and that is fine.

What Anet needs to do as a start is switch Elementalist and Mesmer health tier. Mesmer should be a 11k health class not a 15k one.

@Simonoly.4352 said:
    Whilst current axe Mirage condi output is too oppressive and needs to be addressed, simply listing defence options (which can't actually all be in the same build) and then concluding something is "absurd" is, in itself, a bit absurd (there's loads of inaccuracies in the OP too). We've seen all this before - if you list every defence that even a single build can have, loads of builds looks broken (which they possibly all are but that's a whole different issue). It's just for other classes, it will be less evades and more blocks plus persistent healing and stability options.

Honestly, it's just that condi output from the axe build. Power Mirage struggles to be as effective despite having access to the same defensive capabilities, which is a good indicator of this.

Read the op, the exact build listed (with options for even more) is capable of everything listed under it.

Power Mirage is just as strong as condi, able to nuke anyone from stealth 100-0. It's just a tiny bit harder to play and isn't as forgiving to new mesmers.

edited January 8, 2019

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@Simonoly.4352 said:
    Whilst current axe Mirage condi output is too oppressive and needs to be addressed, simply listing defence options (which can't actually all be in the same build) and then concluding something is "absurd" is, in itself, a bit absurd (there's loads of inaccuracies in the OP too). We've seen all this before - if you list every defence that even a single build can have, loads of builds looks broken (which they possibly all are but that's a whole different issue). It's just for other classes, it will be less evades and more blocks plus persistent healing and stability options.

Honestly, it's just that condi output from the axe build. Power Mirage struggles to be as effective despite having access to the same defensive capabilities, which is a good indicator of this.

Read the op, the exact build listed (with options for even more) is capable of everything listed under it.

Power Mirage is just as strong as condi, able to nuke anyone from stealth 100-0. It's just a tiny bit harder to play and isn't as forgiving to new mesmers.

Okay lets read OP together :

scepter+focus or pistol. focus takes desperate decoy, pistol takes duelist's discipline.

Focus ...focus...focus? Focus... Did he say focus ?

New level of bs and absurd . It seems someone doesnt understand that deny only 1 attack and multiple attacking abilities wouldnt care about it ... How this can be 1s invul even ? Melee blind =/= invul from all range ,from every player and for 1 second. Lets meme train go on

1s invuln on dodge with 100% vigor uptime

It is an evade . There is no 100% vigor uptime ,its not cuccsmith or s/d thief that get 8s on every evade and he have waaaaaaaaaaaay more evades than everyone

invuln on f4, 1-4s + 1-4 mirrors for an additional 1-4s.

Who use it ? Why wouldnt you swap to chaos to reset such OP trait with the new trait? So imba , but still isn't used .(that distort recharge is abit absurd but w/e )

2 target breaks, at absolute worst 1s of people trying to see which is the real mesmer out of the pile of clones

I see ambush only or there more target breaks? Or you mean stealth?Clones...they are limited and not a problem to see real mesmer,the only problem is how people rendered like DE with invisible DJ or laser from scepter 3 is invisible and all you see are big numbers instead of the animation

minimum 2 stealths, both instant. 3 with decoy, also instant. breaks target again.

Stealth always broke target, nerf stealth

scepter block, 4.75s CD

Agree, lets nerf scepter to hell (im not joking)

focus or pistol disable, diversion x1-4, torch disable, mantra disable x2 if chosen. hope you can upkeep stab 100% of the time!

You are just listing every possible daze (and only 1 stun from pistol) .What was the point ?
    P.S Why are you emphasize on blinds from BD while eveyone running perma reflect ? Where is the riot to remove it entirely or at least set cd to 10 seconds ? Permanent immunity to projectiles without any effort, how about no ?

• Spartacus.3192Spartacus.3192 Member ✭✭✭

@SteepledHat.1345 said:
    The sage staff build needs a shave. Everything else is fine. But, you guys won't stop until it's unplayable at any competitive level.

People didn't stop until ANET obliterated Berserker spec to unplayable level so yeah....they probably won't stop till mirage is unplayable.

edited January 8, 2019

@Spartacus.3192 said:

@SteepledHat.1345 said:
    The sage staff build needs a shave. Everything else is fine. But, you guys won't stop until it's unplayable at any competitive level.

People didn't stop until ANET obliterated Berserker spec to unplayable level so yeah....they probably won't stop till mirage is unplayable.

FYI chronomancer is in the same state tbh
    People that hype chrono bunker are delusional and being able to kill something that doesnt have any sustain with scepter 3 (which is ridiculous , wont lie xD)
    Nerf sc2-3 and we wont ever see chrono again except some occasional full zerk 'oneshot' gimmicks

@RedShark.9548 said:
    dont even bother dude, tinyreborn is a hardcore mesmer edgelord that is scared that his specc will need skill hopefully soon.
    He thinks everyone else is kitten and hes the boss, because he can roflestomp others with condi mirage rn.

No matter how they nerf mesmer The Edgelord will be OP regardless . Even with core mesmers mirage/chrono players ask for my builds . Dont even count on it xD

Hes so overly aggressive protective because he knows how OP it actually is.

OP made bs claims (basically a lie ) and sell it as truth .
    Focus is OP!!!! ITS HELP SET UP CS! /s

Good thread tho, finally someone who put it together.

You are something I described above xD

And im just standing here looking at all the hate and nerfs warrior has gotten over the years lol

Ye ,lets forget all buffs and rampage on 72s cd .Unplayable like a renegade /s

• Nath Forge Tempete.1645Nath Forge Tempete.1645 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019

@RisenHowl.2419 said:
    whoever is in charge of balance needs to be fired and replaced with someone that gives a kitten about the players. every fight with a mirage is a matter of staying alive for 20s while you are completely powerless to fight back, then they just run and reset at will. in 30s it starts all over again. this is obviously not fun to play against.

While I agree with all the above you said. I absolutely don't with that specific part.

Let me explain , the balancing team can only tweeks numbers : shorten that , increase CD this. They aren't allowed to even change a trait or just have to "ask for it" with the developper that designed the spec or bigger autority instance.

All the "issues" you've listed are design issues. There for they come out of the developpers responsability ... not the balancing team. The balancing team is (was actually since the restructure) doing what they can with what they are allowed to do.

If the guy that developped the mirage SPEC says , no I don't want the Dodge while stun to be removed on mirage... then it won't be removed or even touched.

• @Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

While I agree with all the above you said. I absolutely don't with that specific part.

Let me explain , the balancing team can only tweeks numbers : shorten that , increase CD this. They aren't allowed to even change a trait or just have to "ask for it" with the developper that designed the spec or bigger autority instance.

All the "issues" you've listed are design issues. There for they come out of the developpers responsability ... not the balancing team. The balancing team is (was actually since the restructure) doing what they can with what they are allowed to do.

If the guy that developped the mirage SPEC says , no I don't want the Dodge while stun to be removed on mirage... then it won't be removed or even touched.

What kind of bs is that? Like, that just sounds kitten and makes no sense.

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@Spartacus.3192 said:

@SteepledHat.1345 said:

People that hype chrono bunker are delusional and being able to kill something that doesnt have any sustain with scepter 3 (which is ridiculous , wont lie xD)
    Nerf sc2-3 and we wont ever see chrono again except some occasional full zerk 'oneshot' gimmicks

@RedShark.9548 said:
    dont even bother dude, tinyreborn is a hardcore mesmer edgelord that is scared that his specc will need skill hopefully soon.
    He thinks everyone else is kitten and hes the boss, because he can roflestomp others with condi mirage rn.

No matter how they nerf mesmer The Edgelord will be OP regardless . Even with core mesmers mirage/chrono players ask for my builds . Dont even count on it xD

And im just standing here looking at all the hate and nerfs warrior has gotten over the years lol

I am what you described above?
    I dont see anything in what you have written fit to describe me

Sorry, but i cant take you serious anymore, the amount of "xD" and edginess you use is just tragic. Grow up

@RedShark.9548 said:

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@Spartacus.3192 said:

@SteepledHat.1345 said:

@RedShark.9548 said:

I am what you described above?
    I dont see anything in what you have written fit to describe me

Sorry, but i cant take you serious anymore, the amount of "xD" and edginess you use is just tragic. Grow up

Oh yes , i deleted that before posting because my post would be removed asap .
    There been something about 'apes' and 'blindly believe everything OP written' . Since you completely agree with him you are one of them . Eks deeeeeeee

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.